• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's share our DS-10 creations.

Broseybrose

Does anyone still play the DS-10? I know its been available in the US for months now, but that doesnt make it old news!

We should share our creations. if you have mp3s of your DS-10 stuff, upload em to zshare and post the links here!

here are my contributions:
Brose-2
Space Fight (from G.A.M.E. 4.0)
Tunnel Bounce
Interlude (G.A.M.E. 5.0 submission)
Enter Two (G.A.M.E. 5.0 submission)
Rebel Idea (first draft) credit to the kind and talented btkadams for the use of his break bassline.

im sure therell be more to come.

PacoDG

Broseybrose said:
Does anyone still play the DS-10? I know its been available in the US for 2 months already, but that doesnt make it old news!

We should share our creations. Problem is, ive never uploaded an mp3 for the world to hear and dont know what site you kids are using for that sort of thing these days. So you tell me the site, and ill upload my best creation.

I want to hear.

http://rapidshare.com/

(not sure if is the best, but it works)

Broseybrose

blu said:
allow me to pitch soundcloud.com - basically flickr for music. features embedded versions of the tracks, among many other useful things. the embedded compression is horrendous but you can always make the original upload available too.

my ds10 work there:

http://soundcloud.com/blu/rudolfs-bad-fur-day-1
http://soundcloud.com/blu/elle-mental
http://soundcloud.com/blu/ds10-ambient-industrial-1
not bad blu.. not bad at all. very video gamey... ive been having trouble moving away from that sound, which is why i like the track i posted. it isnt video gamey at all.

joelseph

bah, zshare is the best place to put yo music. Don't even have to download it to listen to it and downloads are unlimited.

Broseybrose

ok, now theres a direct zshare link in the OP!

also, if you have mp3s of your DS-10 stuff, upload em to zshare and post the links in here!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
the-iek said:
no, thank you. just use this one: http://fileload.us/
bah, that's just a quirk in soundcloud's permissions (or rather my skills with those) - otherwise all tracks listed are public access.

Broseybrose said:
not bad blu.. not bad at all. very video gamey... ive been having trouble moving away from that sound, which is why i like the track i posted. it isnt video gamey at all.
thanks, Broseybrose, but that's just my natural style - simplistic ; )

i do like your stuff, it does depart from the common structure of plain sequencing. did you use live kaosspadding for this recording, or is it strictly sequenced?

Broseybrose

each pattern was recorded using the kaoss pad on one or both synths in loop-record to get the right effects, i.e. using diffrent x/y parameters. i used a bit of patching too. and that deep bass done is a modified kick drum... you better believe i got that synth preset saved. :D

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
WarpToken.com said:
how did you get the voice sounds?

Erm, short answer is, I dunno, it's a random synth that I tweaked beyond recognition.

Looking at it now, it's a mix of a noise (1) and square (2) wave - balance is equal, vco pitch is on 2/3. Octave on full, porta on 0. 1/4 attack, 3/5 decay, 0 sustain, 0 release. Has a fluctuating Cutoff and Peak, a little bit of flange and some patches. The patches are EG -> VCO Pitch 1 on 3/4, and sawtooth -> pitch in just over a half. It's on 3/5 freq with BPM synch off.

:lol Make of that what you will!

Keep the songs coming boys, loving what I'm hearing so far. I love your tune OP, sounds very organic and natural sounding, and it's great to see you're still at it Blu, your stuff is always very impressive. Makes me need to get back to my DS!

blu

Jedeye Sniv said:
Keep the songs coming boys, loving what I'm hearing so far. I love your tune OP, sounds very organic and natural sounding, and it's great to see you're still at it Blu, your stuff is always very impressive. Makes me need to get back to my DS!
thanks, Sniv, always a pleasure to listen to your stuff too (favorite one so far is Gorilla Sugar Party Orgy). 'bout the ds urge - that thing is crackalactic. i just came back from a vacation where i basically spent my time with the korg and soul bubbles. i think i might need medical help about that ; )

WarpToken.com said:
Here's my first tune. I did twinkle twinkle just to learn the synth a little bit. I'm working on more "serious" tunes now =)

http://jaguar.holyoak.com/music/star2.mp3
dude, that goes directly to my ipod!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Inspired by this thread I've just finished and uploaded a new song, I call it Beef Disco. It features the best bass sound I've made yet, very proud of it. I might re-make it to smooth off some edges, but for now here it is. Enjoy!

Jedeye Sniv - Beef Disco

blu

Jedeye Sniv said:
Inspired by this thread I've just finished and uploaded a new song, I call it Beef Disco. It features the best bass sound I've made yet, very proud of it. I might re-make it to smooth off some edges, but for now here it is. Enjoy!

Jedeye Sniv - Beef Disco
*a big, hairy thumb up*

have you considered contributing to the g.a.m.e. 4.0 compilation? we need stronger ds10 representation there : )

blu said:
allow me to pitch soundcloud.com - basically flickr for music. features embedded versions of the tracks, among many other useful things. the embedded compression is horrendous but you can always make the original upload available too.

my ds10 work there:

http://soundcloud.com/blu/rudolfs-bad-fur-day-1
http://soundcloud.com/blu/elle-mental
http://soundcloud.com/blu/ds10-ambient-industrial-1

Took the time to sign up for Soundcloud and check out your stuff. I like Elle Mental the best. The other two are a little spaztic the way they randomly shift...my constructive comment would be to work on your pattern transitions until they flow better.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
WarpToken.com said:
K peeps here's my 2nd finished song.

It's On

Very nice dude, very dark sounding. It's a little too delay-soaked at times but the sounds you've got there are amazing, well done man. It sounds like the future but in the past, and I mean that in the awesome-est way possible.

Shawsie64

Banned
Just picked this thing up the other day, gonna mess around and try learn how to use it properly.. fucking awesome so far!:D

Druz said:
I actually listened the whole way through which is a pretty good compliment in my case.

hehe...I'll take it, man. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Working on another one now. It's quite different for me. We'll see where it ends up =)

blu

available at.. wal-mart!

O_O

got the last copy today from a location in toronto, multi-korg here i come!

blu

WarpToken.com said:
report back on how it is/ what you can do.
reporting. first things first, though - comparison of the versions:

both versions, jp and na, are absolutely compatible, and similar to the point of being almost identical. the synth engines are surely identical AFAICT (checked all my tracks transferred over), even a small glitch in the original engine that shows as few minor pops in one of my tracks is still there untouched (to clarify, all my tracks were made with a jp copy).

the only differences i managed to notice are purely 'localisational':
* 'master' and 'slave' in the jp are 'host' and 'client' in the na, respectively,
* boot-up screen sequences are slightly different - the na version includes a new xseed + 'licensed by nintendo' first screen, whereas the jp version has no license screen whatsoever.

here i should mention i did experience a tiny glitch in the song transfer process, which i'm not sure whether to attribute to the different versions or to the transfer process alone: one of the patterns of one of the songs ended up altered after transfer, when played back in song mode. when i switched to pattern mode it all of a sudden was fine, though, and it stayed fine ever after, including during the subsequent return to song mode. an odd 'pattern needs revisiting' sort of a bug, i must say.

ok, versions out of the way, onto the meat.

i've never had a real synth in my life, so i don't actually know the real feeling, but a multi-ds10 pretty much gave me a taste of that, i'd imagine. all of a sudden the number of available patterns doubled, the polyphony doubled, the save banks doubled. for a second there i forgot i had just two little ds'es before me, and felt like i had a dual 900MHz dsp korg heavy hitter.. almost : )

the beautiful thing is, all that is achieved with utter minimalism, by just providing:

* a master clock - one ds10 unit is a designated master, broadcasting a 'master clock' over the wifi. up to seven other ds10s are slaves, playing to the beat.
* play/stop control is in the master. slaves can neither start nor stop the play - only the master can, giving the user a 'master console' of sorts. everything else in the controls is independent.

the above, coupled with the full data transfer freedom, does make the bunch of ds10s feel if not like a single station, then like a coherent instrument setup.

for me, personally, the doubling of patterns is a big deal - i've always felt constrained by the number of patters a single ds10 provides (and i blame all my song's spastic transitions to that ; )

the bottomline being, i'll be ordering a mixer board one of the next days.

ps: before somebody goes 'wait a minute.. how did he play his dual ds setup without a mixer?!', i had one ds10 hooked to my desktop 2.0 speakers (creative gigaworks t40), and the other going over my koss porta pro headphones, which, among their other excellencies, are not ambiance-canceling. the rest was some careful volumes leveling : )

After much stylus work and test-listens I submit another tune...

Fierce

Kind of a crazy tune....if you listen closely, you'll see (hear) that a lot of the tune plays off the 2 beat and not the 1...but the patterns are so seamless it's hard to tell...

The bad part about it was getting new patterns to fit without completely shattering the rhythm....

That's what happens when you record your tune without a hard one-count on your metronome.

pandaeskimo

Neo Member
Have yet to move past creating sounds, making a one part beat and improvising over it. Haven't made the multipart tunes yet. Nice work guys.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
So I just got this game a few days ago, it's a lot of fun! Here's the first thing I wrote:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/536832852a34122b/

Does anyone know what kind of music this is? I'm not really that in to electronic music so I'm not familiar with all the various genres and sub-genres. My guess was some sort of trance, but I honestly don't know.

WarpToken.com said:
K peeps here's my 2nd finished song.

It's On
Ah everything except the fadeout was excellent.

The line between good and awful is pretty wide but hey, it's getting people to make music which is awesome. I'm tone deaf and can't read sheet music so my music career was cut short but I might check this out sometime.

i've been on my DS-10 all x-mas break. i'm shocked at how good my songs turned out, and i'm itching to put them on youtube and see if people like/hate/don't give a shit about them. i'd like to think i found a perfect mix between that raw, dirty chiptune sound and the more pop-ish electronica fare.

um thing is i know virtually nothing about transferring audio. can somebody give me a primer on getting these songs on my DS to mp3s on my computer? dumb question, i know.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Tyrone Slothrop said:
i've been on my DS-10 all x-mas break. i'm shocked at how good my songs turned out, and i'm itching to put them on youtube and see if people like/hate/don't give a shit about them. i'd like to think i found a perfect mix between that raw, dirty chiptune sound and the more pop-ish electronica fare.

um thing is i know virtually nothing about transferring audio. can somebody give me a primer on getting these songs on my DS to mp3s on my computer? dumb question, i know.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

And you'll need a cable to go from your DS headphone output to the line-in on your soundcard.

totowhoa

Banned
Broseybrose said:
i need to learn to work faster. i spent three consecutive nights working on this for hours. and its just under 2 minutes. :D

http://www.zshare.net/audio/53715881eed7de70/

Right on, I'm enjoying this :D

You guys are all making some really nice stuff! I've listened to most of them already. I'd comment on them all, but I'll just do this one since it's the last one. Really makes me feel like I'm playing an old school action game on the NES. Really nice, smooth transitions in the middle of the song where it changes, too.

I just got the game a week ago, so I'm still messing around. Hopefully I'll have something to put up soon.

totowhoa

Banned
Quick question since I have not had the game long. Is there a way to connect individual notes? I'd like some half/whole notes for something I'm working on, but...

Top Bottom