• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2004 BBC Nintendo documentary, does it still exist?

NR1

If your talking about the BBC "Outrageous Fortunes" documentary, then I have that one saved to my hard drive on my old PC. It was kinds cool.

The best part was when the interviewer goes to Hawaii to interview Minoru Arakawa and his wife (Hiroshi Yamauchi's daughter) at their new home.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
NR1 said:
If your talking about the BBC "Outrageous Fortunes" documentary, then I have that one saved to my hard drive on my old PC. It was kinds cool.

The best part was when the interviewer goes to Hawaii to interview Minoru Arakawa and his wife (Hiroshi Yamauchi's daughter) at their new home.

Yes! That's the one.

Do you think you can share it with me? I know a lot of people who would really like to have it.

Gomu Gomu

NR1 said:

2wc0hhv.jpg

I really don't care, just wanted to post this picture :lol

Azelover

samratty said:
Hmm I'd be interested in watching this.
They should rerun it on BBC 4 or something.

I think it was posted on GAF at one point, I came across some posts mentioning how users had ripped it. It probably isn't allowed now though, BBC refuses to acknowledge its existence as far as I can tell. I've been searching for ways into this documentary for a couple of months now, asking from random users(I've tried other message boards before this one) is really kind of my last resort.

Azelover said:
I think it was posted on GAF at one point, I came across some posts mentioning how users had ripped it. It probably isn't allowed now though, BBC refuses to acknowledge its existence as far as I can tell.
And how do you tell that? It was an episode of a series from 2004 (was it The Money Programme?) that they've had no desire or interest in repeating, and it's not seen as worth releasing on DVD. There's nothing about refusing to acknowledge that it exists about that.

NR1

I've located it on my old hard drive, but my PC refuses to burn it to a CD so I can transfer it over to my new Mac. Sorry.

I'll keep working on this... the file size is 181MB.

Azelover

JonathanEx said:
And how do you tell that? It was an episode of a series from 2004 (was it The Money Programme?) that they've had no desire or interest in repeating, and it's not seen as worth releasing on DVD. There's nothing about refusing to acknowledge that it exists about that.

Maybe we'll see it in the future(I'd say probably not), but I kinda need it now anyway, I hate to admit.

Thanks a lot NR1, if you feel like it doesn't belong on GAF please just PM me and we'll talk about it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
NR1 said:
I've located it on my old hard drive, but my PC refuses to burn it to a CD so I can transfer it over to my new Mac. Sorry.

I'll keep working on this... the file size is 181MB.

stick it on a USB flash drive? You've probably even got enough space on your mobile phone to transfer it across.

or put file sharing on your PC and the mac should pick it up

You can tell though if they did a new documentary on Nintendo (hi bbc i'll do it, i'm cheap) it'd be a most positive tone though, rather than "THEY DIDN'T MAKE ONE OF THE MARIO GAMES, AND TRY TO HARM EPILEPTICS".

however, that's what you get for having a BBC One programme. The BBC Four Tetris one was much more interesting.

MisterHero

I wish Yamauchi was still in the news, I wonder what the old man is up to these days.

Linkzg said:
I have it saved on my computer, but it seems like it needs the google video player. Is there anything else I can use?
if it's flv, you can use www.media-convert.com to turn it into a Quicktime movie or other formats

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Linkzg said:
I have it saved on my computer, but it seems like it needs the google video player. Is there anything else I can use?

VLC should play it. .gvi just seems to be DivX and MP3. If you want to convert it try this. GVI2AVI

I tried conveting it myself or at least finding a way to play it, but I'm thinking there is a problem with the file itself. Other gvi files play fine.

Azelover

Linkzg said:
I tried conveting it myself or at least finding a way to play it, but I'm thinking there is a problem with the file itself. Other gvi files play fine.

It's all part of Yamauchi's plan, nobody can watch this documentary anymore :lol

NR1

ok, I got it on my Mac now. Its in an AVI format.

Here are some screen grabs I took ALL the way back in April 2004.

MinoruArakawa4.jpg

yokoArakawa.jpg

love_hotel.jpg

Nintendo Love Hotel

love_tester4.jpg

Love Tester

Yama_house2.jpg

Hiroshi Yamauchi's House

Yama_house3.jpg

Hiroshi Yamauchi's Front Door (Nobody answered the door)
:lol

if you have it in AVI, please post it. I'm trying to upload the gvi and it's even having problems there. Megaupload froze in the last second and now mediafire isn't working either. This shit is cursed

Azelover

Linkzg said:
if you have it in AVI, please post it. I'm trying to upload the gvi and it's even having problems there. Megaupload froze in the last second and now mediafire isn't working either. This shit is cursed

I'm telling ya :lol

This was okay, but the epilepsy stuff was fucking retarded...

the Tetris documentary is better. Atari got burned big time, and Nintendo laughed all the way to the bank!

Azelover

jooey said:
No, no, the Mario 2 stuff was.

Media stupidity is a recurring theme with Nintendo, but there were a few insightful things in it too.

A lot of the sensationalistic crap was just humorous.

Michan

I'd love to see that Tetris documentary.

Also, I remember watching this on BBC. Please PM me the link when it's up!

RiverBed

Banned
Doesn't YouTube have the video? I am interested in watching it, but don't know what to look for. Can somebody please check?

Top Bottom