• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Shifts focus to Wii

According to IGN.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/950/950903p1.html

UK, February 4, 2009 - EA's John Riccitiello has spoken of how the publisher is to place half of its emphasis on the Wii, as it looks to 'rival Nintendo on their own platform'.

"Nintendo is the leader; they're getting half our emphasis in terms of title counts," said Riccitiello in the company's Q3 earning call, picked up by videogaming24/7, confirming that the hugely successful console will be a key platform for EA.

A Wii version of the space-bound survival horror Dead Space, announced in the same call, appears to be one of the first signs of this new focus.

AniHawk

makjra.jpg

Balb

How many times have we heard this line from big 3rd party companies? I'll believe it when I see it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
About time. Supporting the market leader more than the others, what a concept.

freddy

Banned
I remember that quote from an EA shareholder asking about EAs' success( or lack thereof) on the Wii and what they planned to do about it.

Chris R

Good, the Wii needs more quality titles. All you people claiming gaming is dead need to grow up. Give me one good reason the platform reaching the most people shouldn't receive the most attention? Sure tons of the Wii games are shovelware crap, but that doesn't mean EA can't make good games for the Wii.

AniHawk

rhfb said:
Give me one good reason the platform reaching the most people shouldn't receive the most attention?

Because it's moving the entire industry back (or keeping it back) one generation and most western developers worth a damn just don't want to work on the thing.

Christine

AniHawk said:
Because it's moving the entire industry back (or keeping it back) one generation and most western developers worth a damn just don't want to work on the thing.

He said one reason.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
AniHawk said:

And look at all the developers closing up, sacking staff. Their arrogance and ignorance of the Wii has bit them in the ass.

It put it into last generation terms, it would be as if all the developers kept making GameCube games, they'll sell but not as much as if it was on the Xbox or PS3 (It's the opposite now, providing they put the effort in).

Let's actually look at EA's 2009 Wii lineup.

SimAnimals
NASCAR Kart Racing
MySims Party
Trivial Pursuit
Boom Blox Party Bash
Madden NFL 2010
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Need for Speed Nitro
Spore Hero
MySims Racing
EA Sports Active
EA Sports Tennis
Dead Space

Teknoman

AniHawk said:

Not really. Graphics wise maybe...but alot of games are more fun with well done aiming and motion controls. Next gen will have even better motion controls and everything will be HD.

I fail to see the problem here.

HylianTom

Banned
AniHawk said:

Well then, my condolences to those who will lose their jobs in the future (horrible timing for such a thing), but boo-frickin'-hoo to the companies that go "poof."

AniHawk

VOOK said:
And look at all the developers closing up, sacking staff. Their arrogance and ignorance of the Wii has bit them in the ass.

Arrogance? Reluctance, sure, but I don't think anyone's really arrogant except maybe some people at Epic.

And the closing off studios and mergers and buyouts have been happening since at least 2002. During the PS2 generation, Acclaim died, Midway almost went under, Sega merged with Sammy, Square merged with Enix, etc...

Rezbit

AniHawk said:

Haven't you heard of this little thing "global financial crisis"?

Majmun

Teknoman said:
Not really. Graphics wise maybe...but alot of games are more fun with well done aiming and motion controls. Next gen will have even better motion controls and everything will be HD.

I fail to see the problem here.

I guess you mean fps, poin't and click games and family/party games?

I can't imagine other genres being better with waggle...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
EmCeeGramr said:
Let's actually look at EA's 2009 Wii lineup.

SimAnimals
NASCAR Kart Racing
MySims Party
Trivial Pursuit
Boom Blox Party Bash
Madden NFL 2010
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Need for Speed Nitro
Spore Hero
MySims Racing
EA Sports Active
EA Sports Tennis
Dead Space
Tiger Woods too.

Azure J

Yup, paradigm shift... blah blah... change... blah blah. I'm just ready for some more unique Wii games personally. :p

AniHawk

Rezbit said:
Haven't you heard of this little thing "global financial crisis"?

Yeah, I don't think publishers and developers could see that far into the future when they started making their projects for the HD systems two or three years back.

jrricky

Banned
AniHawk said:
I thought the Wii moved one generation up by introducing a new control scheme.

Good for EA. Their Wii line up seems to hit each and every corner to please different demographics.

Ill be buying:
Boom Blox 2
Dead Space
Tiger Woods
EA Tennis
Spore Hero

I hope there are more secrets for E3.

Top Bottom