• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 hits 4.5 million, Konami posts $195 million profit

-viper-

Banned
Solid Snake continues to inject liquid currency into Japanese publisher, which saw sales rise to $2.56 billion for last nine months of 2008; full-year outlook lowered, however.

Solid Snake continues to get it done for Konami. Today, the Japanese game maker reported its results for the April-December period, saying that total revenues for the first nine months of its 2009 fiscal year grew 5.1 percent to ¥234 billion ($2.56 billion). Konami's profit margins also continued to outpace the year-ago period, given that net income rose 17.3 percent to ¥17.8 billion ($195 million).

Konami's Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, which was released exclusively for the PlayStation 3 in June, continued to be one of the company's top performers. The top-rated action adventure sold more than 4.5 million units in 2008, shifting approximately 500,000 additional copies in the October-December quarter.

For the first nine months of its current fiscal year, which runs from April 1, 2008 to March 31, 2009, Konami has sold 22.35 million software units across its various franchises. In addition to Metal Gear's gains, the publisher has been bolstered by the success of its Pro Evolution Soccer franchise, which has sold more than 7.41 million units during the nine-month period. Other top performers for the game company include Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia for the Nintendo DS, as well as installments in its perennial Dance Dance Revolution rhythm franchise.

Despite Konami's positive growth during the period, the publisher provided a warning to investors that the global economic downturn will have a negative impact on its full-year returns. Citing slower consumer spending and a strengthening of the yen, Konami revised its full-year revenue and profit outlook downward. The publisher now expects revenues to rise 3.2 percent to ¥307 billion ($3.36 billion) during the year, with profits now projected to grow a mere .3 percent to ¥18.5 billion ($203 million).

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6204195.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;3

Quite impressive.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
-viper- said:
Quite impressive.

The problem is when they don't have a Metal Gear game they might be in trouble, especially since Winning Eleven seems on a downward trend lately.

Danielsan

Pallaris said:
Makes you wonder why no meaningful updates/DLC for this have yet to materialise.
It's kinda ridiculous that a flagship title like MGS4 hasn't gotten a trophy patch yet.

Barrett2

Good for Konami, I hope they have a few other MGS properties in the works. No reason to not get more mileage out of the franchise.

Bob White

Great fucking news. MGS4/MGO is the best game of last year. And I fucking hated it after the first play through and first few online games of MGO. But when I gave it another chance late last year I really saw how well made the game is. Its the Smash Bros Melee of this gen. So much care went into the game its unreal.

edit : Sneak Mode in MGO is fucking godly. Everyone should play it.

-viper-

Banned
I suppose this shows how MGS4 being a PS3 exclusive wasn't a bad idea for all you NPDtards. :p

Blablurn said:
the revolution is coming! pes 2010 baby!
Haha. Just like PES 2009 was supposed to be a revolution. rite?

:{

I've had every PES game from PES4 in the PS2. This time, I've got no football games at all for my PS3.

PES 2010 better deliver. But I doubt it. I'll never buy FIFA since it has always been crap and I've never liked the gameplay.

I'd still like to see a 360 port, because I want them to push this number further.

Blablurn said:
the revolution is coming! pes 2010 baby!

please God make it so :(

Morgen hauen wir euch erstmal weg :p

Pallaris

It's kinda ridiculous that a flagship title like MGS4 hasn't gotten a trophy patch yet.

Yup, trophies, some VR mission DLC and dropping the Konami ID crap would do a lot to reinvigorate interest in MGS4 and guarantee a few more sales.

Danielsan said:

Maybe they are waiting for the 360 release :p

I kid. I've said countless times I won't play this game ever again, but if a trophy patch comes out, I'll give it another chance.

Bob White

Pallaris said:
Makes you wonder why no meaningful updates/DLC for this have yet to materialise.

Are you serious? The Meme/Gene while not huge super add-ons are still pretty meaty.

Using Ocelot is badass.

CiSTM

Banned
Now they only need to fix PES and they will be king of the world.

BTW any idea how MGS sales are divided by region (japan,us, eu) ?

Pallaris said:
Yup, trophies, some VR mission DLC and dropping the Konami ID crap would do a lot to reinvigorate interest in MGS4 and guarantee a few more sales.
I'd like to think that people don't buy games solely on trophy support.

Bob White said:
Great fucking news. MGS4/MGO is the best game of last year. And I fucking hated it after the first play through and first few online games of MGO. But when I gave it another chance late last year I really saw how well made the game is. Its the Smash Bros Melee of this gen. So much care went into the game its unreal.

edit : Sneak Mode in MGO is fucking godly. Everyone should play it.

MGO is sadly, impossible to play now if you haven't kept up with it. The experts are just too fucking good to the point where you just don't stand a chance.

Schuelma already mentioned it, but the big problem here is that they've got literally nothing to float them while the next MGS game is being developed.

DieH@rd

Banned
Good news for Kojima Productions. Now invest some money into some new franchises. I want to see Kojima to make nextgen RPG. :)

we already know he is making FPS

matticus

I think MGS5 (or something in the MGS universe) is a given. All that work they put into building an engine won't go to waste.

Narcosis

matticus said:
I think MGS5 (or something in the MGS universe) is a given. All that work they put into building an engine won't go to waste.

Well, it's not like they said that there's never going to be more Metal Gear, just no more Solid Snake and whatever happens next will be like a reboot kind of thing.

Plus the engine itself could be used in other projects.

I would wonder if this makes up for the gaps in their profits during non-Metal Gear years. This is $195 million for four+ years of work after all.

PedroRVD said:
this is strange....so why we dont see MGS4 in NPD or Media Create?
Because things sell outside of the charts we get numbers for? The general success of Wii software essentially confirms that. Uncharted is another game that did a lot of selling outside of the charts.

Narcosis

PedroRVD said:

Neither counts bundled software.
NPD gives us a very small list of their sales charts so we tend to not see how games sell over long stretches unless it's some game that stays in the top 10 endlessly like CoD4 or Nintendo's 1st party.
Neither NPD or Media Create count any of the Euro continent sales.
MGS by and large is not all that huge in Japan.

Woah, so it basically surpassed MGS3 on a much smaller install base! Awesome. MGS is still the only series that makes me totally fucking geek out. Glad MGS4 did well.

CiSTM

Banned
PedroRVD said:

Im happy for Konami tough...

Because all the sales are probably from Europe. LTD numbers for MGS4 were around 1100k in december (NPD). So big chunk of sales has to come from europe.

Snaku

Banned
schuelma said:
The problem is when they don't have a Metal Gear game they might be in trouble, especially since Winning Eleven seems on a downward trend lately.

It's their own fucking fault for Castlevania's downward spiral. It could have been just as big as MGS.

bttb

The 4.5 million figure is YTD sales for the Metal Gear series, not just Metal Gear Solid 4.

Financial Statements for FY2009 Q3

Computer & Video Games business: METAL GEAR SOLID 4 GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS, released
simultaneously around the world in June 2008, was named by the U.S. major video gaming site Game Spot,
the Game of the Year in its Best of 2008 roundup of winning titles. The METAL GEAR series is exhibiting
its strength as a brand, steadily increasing the number sold year-to-date to more than 4.5 million units as of
the end of this consolidated third quarter.
Furthermore, in November 2008, the online action game METAL
GEAR ONLINE surpassed 1 million accounts worldwide in roughly the first four months since the service
was launched in June 2008.

Presentation Materials for FY2009 Q3

milanbaros

Member?
A few years ago I would be happy to see those PES sales but its a bitter achievement now. How did PES ever become worse than FIFA?

Thread needs a title change. Its the series as a whole not just MGS4.

CiSTM

Banned
Europe fucking rules !
qq7k9k.jpg

Also wii is gaining more ground

2a4py13.jpg

CiSTM

Banned
Psychotext said:
So what other Metal Gear games are they currently selling? I don't have a clue.

Well didn't metal gear essentials got releasd in 08 ? And ofcourse PSP games are still selling.

bj00rn_

Banned
Good for Konami. It's kinda odd though. 4.5 mill? No show in NPD, no show in other charts, a lot of my friends bought PS3s, but none of them bought MGS4 - Except me. Anecdotal evidence, useless, but still..odd.

Edit: Ah shite, it's for the SERIES. Makes sense.

Luckyman

Banned
bj00rn_ said:
Good for Konami. It's kinda odd though. 4.5 mill? No show in NPD, no show in other charts, a lot of my friends bought PS3s, but none of them bought MGS4 - Except me. Anecdotal evidence, useless, but still..odd.

No show? wtf?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
CiSTM said:
Well didn't metal gear essentials got releasd in 08 ? And ofcourse PSP games are still selling.

Essentials is only in NA as far as i know.

Top Bottom