• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP/PS3 AD-HOC Party Us Release?When?

mummite

Hey all,

Anyone have a clue when SCEA will release a US Download for Ad-Hoc Party on PS3? Its been out in BETA form since November in Japan.

Tempting to DL the Japanese version if it's not announced soon here in the US. With games like Phantasy Star and Monster Hunter UNITE around the corner you figure they would release it soon- Xlink-KAI is such a pain in the ass to get set- up on VISTA so that is out of the question for me.

:D

depward

Yeah, you would think they would release for NA or EU... but really, you can use the Japanese version on MHF2 and even the PSP demo. So it works... it's just in Japanese :D

Lucis

I just installed that last night since I want to try dissidia online. However it seems like you need wired connection for internet and safe the wireless connection to ad hoc with the PSP
need to find a cable long enough =(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They probably won't release it until they think they have a multiplayer title that will actually sell well in the U.S. and benefit from this.

Perhaps with Resistance: Retribution?

They might be saving it for that "PSP Push" they were talking about for this year though, if that ever materializes.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I don't think it's going to happen, but as far as I know there's no difference and its all the same just using the JPN version to play NA games.

gcubed

Nirolak said:
They probably won't release it until they think they have a multiplayer title that will actually sell well in the U.S. and benefit from this.

They might be saving it for that "PSP Push" they were talking about for this year though, if that ever materializes.

they would just use infrastructure mode like Killzone, this is for all ad hoc games

Teknoman

What ever happened to this from Siliconera?

http://www.siliconera.com/2008/10/1...monster-hunter-portable-2g-for-north-america/

Capcom quietly announced Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for North America which is simply a localized version of Monster Hunter Portable 2G. The news was well timed with Sony’s PlayStation 3 / PSP Ad-hoc party tunneling software which allows ad hoc games like Monster Hunter Freedom Untie to link up remotely with voice chat through a PlayStation 3.

Other new features from the Japanese version include more monsters, weapons, missions, and an Al felyne friend to follow you when you’re going solo. While a customizable cat is cool, the Monster Hunter series is best experienced with a group of friends huddling in a fast food restaurant.

Impromptu ad-hoc gatherings aren’t popular in the West, but online gaming is. Will network play finally push the Monster Hunter series to be a hit in North America? We’ll find out in spring 2009.

Shouldn't be too hard, all they have to do is translate the menu information right?

I'm curious about this myself

is there at least a good guide to using the Japanese version? I'm probably importing Gundam Kizuna later this month and that game is all about the online.

Aru

Nirolak said:

Resistance: R has infrastructure mode IIRC.
Since it was already created for Syphon Filter (the same team is behind R:R and Syphon), they just needed to adapt it for R:R, IMO.

Teknoman

kassatsu said:
I always assumed that if they plan on releasing it would be along side Monster Hunter: Unite.

Thats what I thought. The first time i'd even heard of that type of service was when Capcom announced Monster Hunter 2 would be coming to NA as Monster Hunter: Unite.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
It doesn't matter, you can get it easily and use it easily enough even though it's not in English. There's really no need for a US Party Play, if you want to use it it's easy enough to use.

robox

Adam Prime said:
It doesn't matter, you can get it easily and use it easily enough even though it's not in English. There's really no need for a US Party Play, if you want to use it it's easy enough to use.

even though it's fully usable, full jp menus will keep people away.

but even so, if it was to be timed with the release of monhun unite, sega should've used some clout and ask to get it out for phantasy star portable or something.

also, do they need to set up servers for ad hoc party? wouldn't the jp version connect to jp servers?

Definitely inexcuseable that they havent got this up and running considering the sheer amount of life it breathes into a vast amount of the PSP's multiplayer back catalogue.

Only just downloaded it, but I think I've got the hang of it. Shouldnt take half a year to bring over a quick and simple JPN program though!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
SecretBonusPoint said:
Definitely inexcuseable that they havent got this up and running considering the sheer amount of life it breathes into a vast amount of the PSP's multiplayer back catalogue.

Only just downloaded it, but I think I've got the hang of it. Shouldnt take half a year to bring over a quick and simple JPN program though!

I agree, I agree. I'm just saying it works and the lack of an English menu shouldn't hold people back... even though I do understand how it does.

Teknoman

I know this probably wont help, but i'm thinking about emailing Sony just to see what they say about Ad-Hoc party coming over. It was sorta infered with Capcom's announcement of NA Monster Hunter Freedom: Unite.

At the same time, I guess i'll look into the JP version as well.

Ya it's weird it has not been released already. I wonder what is the hold up. The JP beta has been out for a long time now and works flawlessly in my experience.

The User interface is cool looking but at the same time a little weird. The lobby system is already at it's breaking point with the thousands of Japanese people using it. Maybe they want to come up with a better system if it is going to be used in other territories.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Total rubbish. The thing's like 20 fucking MBs. They should just translate it and release it as-is. Completely ridiculous, that they don't.

diffusionx

Gold Member
SecretBonusPoint said:

I'd buy Power Stone collection for sure. And about a million other games.

Billen

Banned
It's insane that they haven't released a beta for the western markets. This alone would boost interest for the PSP immensely.

Personally, I just installed the JP client. Monster Hunter here I come.

Billen said:
It's insane that they haven't released a beta for the western markets. This alone would boost interest for the PSP immensely.

Personally, I just installed the JP client. Monster Hunter here I come.

It's more then likely that Sony is finalizing a new PSP firmware to allow greater integration with PSN and trophy support for PSP games, Before launching PSP/PS3 AD-Hoc play.

And I personally believe that PSP games will soon be playable on the PS3 through a PSP emulator. So that maybe holding up PSP/PS3 Ad-Hoc play

Teknoman

Im sure they read them since they actually reply to comments on the blog as well, but it looks like it's up to GAF/GAF lurkers to get the point across. Or at least shed light on the situation.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Trailblazer said:
It's more then likely that Sony is finalizing a new PSP firmware to allow greater integration with PSN and trophy support for PSP games, Before launching PSP/PS3 AD-Hoc play.

And I personally believe that PSP games will soon be playable on the PS3 through a PSP emulator. So that maybe holding up PSP/PS3 Ad-Hoc play

I like your thinking, but I think you forget that Sony typically ignores the obvious.

FiRez

Teknoman said:
What ever happened to this from Siliconera?

http://www.siliconera.com/2008/10/1...monster-hunter-portable-2g-for-north-america/

Capcom quietly announced Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for North America which is simply a localized version of Monster Hunter Portable 2G. The news was well timed with Sony’s PlayStation 3 / PSP Ad-hoc party tunneling software which allows ad hoc games like Monster Hunter Freedom Untie to link up remotely with voice chat through a PlayStation 3.

Other new features from the Japanese version include more monsters, weapons, missions, and an Al felyne friend to follow you when you’re going solo. While a customizable cat is cool, the Monster Hunter series is best experienced with a group of friends huddling in a fast food restaurant.

Impromptu ad-hoc gatherings aren’t popular in the West, but online gaming is. Will network play finally push the Monster Hunter series to be a hit in North America? We’ll find out in spring 2009.

Shouldn't be too hard, all they have to do is translate the menu information right?

seems fake :(

Teknoman

FiRez said:
seems fake :(

Well it was an actual announcement, because I remember when the news was confirmed/ posted here. Whether it was talking about ad-hoc for NA or just in general, im not sure.

kassatsu

Banned
xKilltheMx said:
Damn, I forgot where to get this App at.
PS3 Japanese Store?
store.jpg

It has its own tab.

I can't make threads yet so I'll ask this question here.

If Sony made a PSP emulator for the PS3 that rendered in a higher resolution, added AA multiplay over PSN and allowed ripping of UMD's would you pay for it? and if so how much?

Teknoman

I'd pay for the ad-hoc online section, but im kinda opposed to playing portable games on a TV. Just seems to defeat the purpose to me.

Still waiting on someone experience with ad-hoc party to make a step by step guide how to join or host games though.

Teknoman said:
I'd pay for the ad-hoc online section, but im kinda opposed to playing portable games on a TV. Just seems to defeat the purpose to me.

Still waiting on someone experience with ad-hoc party to make a step by step guide how to join or host games though.

Im with him.
I downloaded it and all, but of the 4 available options
1) Weird Screen that seems like directions
2) Error in Kanji (sp?) followed by the number 1005 in parenthesis
3) Looks like the same error followed by 1005
4) Some webpage

So any help would be appreciated.

mummite

Make sure you have a wired connection to your PS3

Also agree to all the terms and agreement crap, just select “Start and say yes to everything”
Here is a brief translation to the front end title screen in order from top to bottom, there are only 4 selections and it’s easy to navigate through.

• Start: "Start" is the ad hoc Party portal allowing to select a server called "World" and a meeting area called "Lobby"

• Jump: "Jump" is made for selecting "Friend List" (フレンドリスト) or "Bookmark" (ブックマーク) which allows to directly join a connected PSN friend's Lobby, or to select a bookmarked Lobby.

• Ad hoc : "ad hoc" is used to connect the PlayStation 3 with an activated PlayStation Portable.

• Information page: The "Information page" is the PlayStation 3 built-in web browser restricted online user manual for adhoc Party.

Teknoman

Found a big write up on joining/hosting games via playstation official forums. Guess i'll edit that for all PSP games and see if that works.

Teknoman

mummite said:
Make sure you have a wired connection to your PS3

Here is a brief translation to the front end title screen in order from top to bottom, there are only 4 selections and it’s easy to navigate through.

• Start: "Start" is the ad hoc Party portal allowing to select a server called "World" and a meeting area called "Lobby"

• Jump: "Jump" is made for selecting "Friend List" (フレンドリスト) or "Bookmark" (ブックマーク) which allows to directly join a connected PSN friend's Lobby, or to select a bookmarked Lobby.

• Ad hoc : "ad hoc" is used to connect the PlayStation 3 with an activated PlayStation Portable.

• Information page: The "Information page" is the PlayStation 3 built-in web browser restricted online user manual for adhoc Party.

To add to that, after searching around I found this *Taken from the official playstation forums and edited for general PSP gaming*

How to join a game:

Press circle to choose the first option on the Ad Hoc Party screen. You will be taken to and place that says 'World A' you can scroll through the worlds with the L1 and R1 buttons.

Find the World of your choice, now using the left or right analog stick find the lobby of your choice , then press circle to go into the lobby.

You will now see a close up of the lobby, press circle.

Now you may or may not see other people, you can talk to these people buy pressing start to bring up your keyboard. You can also press circle over their name, the first option makes you walk to them, the second option you can talk to them, the third option is 'add to friends list'.

You will also see houses. Each house represents someone hosting a game. Which game are playing? Well you don't really know until you go into the house. Some of the houses are named based on what game they are playing, but not always, so feel free to pop into any open house and ask what they are playing if you cannot tell. To enter a house, use the analog stick and set the target over the house, press circle, then chose the 2nd option. To exit a house press triangle, then chose the first option, then chose the option to the left.

Once you are in a house you can hook up a headset to your PS3 for voice chat.

Start up the PSP game of your choice and go into it's MP mode and search for a host. Make sure your WLAN switch is turned on.

How to host a game:

Use the analog stick to move the cursor find a clear spot in the lobby. Press Circle.

Chose the second option.

Three more options will appear. Press Circle on the First Box to name your house.

In the third box you can set a password.

You are now hosting a game. While hosting a game you can press Triangle to bring up host options:

The first box is to leave your house. Simply press Circle, then chose the option on the left.

The Second box is to set the description of your house, press circle on the second option and a key board will come up.

Third option is to open or close the door. An open door means anyone can come in, a closed door means no one can come in. It is a good idea to close the door if your party is full. The option on the left opens the door, the option on the right closes the door.

The fourth option is to kick the player from the room. It bans them and they cant get back in.

Im going to try and host a game in World J Lobby 64. It'll be Phantasy Star Portable trial mode, but still worth a shot. Apparently retail version games can still play with trial version games. Password is believe.

Trailblazer said:
I can't make threads yet so I'll ask this question here.

If Sony made a PSP emulator for the PS3 that rendered in a higher resolution, added AA multiplay over PSN and allowed ripping of UMD's would you pay for it? and if so how much?

Ain't gonna happen, they want to sell and make money on PSPs as well.

Top Bottom