• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIS America announces Phantom Brave: We Meet Again (Wii) for June 2009

Volcynika

Just got the PR as I got home:

PHANTOM BRAVE: WE MEET AGAIN FOR NINTENDO WII™ ARRIVING TO NORTH AMERICA

Santa Ana, CA (Feb 17, 2009) – NIS America announced today Phantom Brave: We Meet Again for the Nintendo Wii™ will be making its way to the North American shores this coming June.

Released in 2004, Phantom Brave revolutionized the strategy RPG genre with its unique free roaming battle fields and a unit summoning system called “CONFINE”. Now Phantom Brave returns to a new console with added features and extra chapter stories. Everything from the original game will be carried over, so gamers who hasn’t played Phantom Brave can fully enjoy this title.

About Phantom Brave: We Meet Again
Phantom Brave is a turn based strategy RPG that incorporates unique battle styles and a hardcore character customization system. Players can create units from a number of list of monster/ghost categories and power them up to a exponential number.

Battle System
There are two main phases to Phantom Brave’s battle system. The first phase is the Confine phase. Marona the protagonist of this game can summon ghosts and monsters as battle units to fight for her. However, in order to do so she must “confine” souls in to objects on the battlefield like rocks, plants, and items. Depending on what you object you use as the host the stats of the units you summon will greatly differ. Some units are become stronger on certain objects, so knowing your spirits’ characteristics becomes a very important strategic element.

Key Features
1. All new story chapters
2. Improved graphics
3. Redesigned User Interface
4. Extra items, skills, and characters

hx86j5.gif

vdflao.gif

jiozgm.gif

246npqq.gif

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm...heard interesting things about this, but could never find it.

Count me in, depending on how things go.

Volcynika

Ok the press release screens are just Japanese ones, so that's why there's only a few. (And I'm far too busy to put up the 30 or so they sent out)

Speevy

Banned
I played it on the PS2 but found the whole thing off-putting.

People really need to play and complete Disgaea 1 before they tackle any of these other NI games.

matmanx1

I'll probably play this but I cant help but noticing those 2D sprites look eerily familiar. Maybe one day NIS and their affiliates can afford to create some new ones. Still, the gameplay is the most important part and NIS usually gets that right.

Sqorgar

Banned
Looks like they are doing the same sprite scaling/smoothing that Riveria PSP did - and I hated it then too. Looks cheap and lazy.

matmanx1 said:
I'll probably play this but I cant help but noticing those 2D sprites look eerily familiar. Maybe one day NIS and their affiliates can afford to create some new ones. Still, the gameplay is the most important part and NIS usually gets that right.

That's because this is a port.

Vinci

Danish
Interesting that the press release completely avoided the price-tag.

EDIT: And also sad that many Wii games don't look that nice.

Volcynika

Vinci said:
Interesting that the press release completely avoided the price-tag.

EDIT: And also sad that many Wii games don't look that nice.

They didn't really avoid it, I don't remember much (if any) of their announcement PRs having a price mentioned.

Also, Hero, that's not all of them! They're missing 8! Or something.

:p

Volcynika said:
They didn't really avoid it, I don't remember much (if any) of their announcement PRs having a price mentioned.

Also, Hero, that's not all of them! They're missing 8! Or something.

:p

Oh, whoopsie. :p

And no one answered my question from the other thread; did the original support 480p?

I assume it didn't support 16:9.

Michan

I wish NIS would update their sprites. I love low-res sprites, but it just doesn't work when it's upscaled like this. I can't help but imagine how beautiful their games would look if the sprites were of a higher quality.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Yeah, after spending a huge amount of hours on Disgaea and loving it, I really tried to like Phantom Brave on PS2 but never did. The whole battle system felt cumbersome, confusing and not very interesting at all, so I eventually gave up after a few hours and never touched it again. Now that I think about, it managed to scare me away from NIS SRPGs completely, as I haven't touched one since PB. :/

Nose Master

I liked PB more than Disgaea 2 and 3 :X. That said, I thought this was a sequel. Fuck NIS and all their god damn ports.

AniHawk

Nose Master said:
I liked PB more than Disgaea 2 and 3 :X. That said, I thought this was a sequel. Fuck NIS and all their god damn ports.

Well they are adding more stuff to this version, so it's not just a straight port.

Volcynika

I wonder when the first original title NISA is bringing over for the latest Nintendo consoles (Wii / DS) will ever release. We've seen Rhapsody DS, Disgaea DS, and now Phantom Brave Wii, but the only original thing I can think of is A Witch's Tale for DS, and Hit Maker or w/e is working on that, but it was delayed a while back and I've heard zero things about it lately.

NIS America said:
Key Features
1. All new story chapters
2. Improved graphics
3. Redesigned User Interface
4. Extra items, skills, and characters

NIS America said:
Key Features
2. Improved graphics

NIS America said:
Improved graphics

hx86j5.gif

246npqq.gif

:lol

And what is this no widescreen? Well way to make way for improvement for your fanbase NIS after the dreaded Ar Tollerico translation and bugs.

Linkup

BOF DQ>>>>>Phantom Brave

Front Mission 4>>>>>>>Disgaea

FIFTY US DOLLARS! $30 and a decent amount of new content would have sold me.

justchris

<sigh> I didn't complete the game the first time, so I think I'm going to have to pass. All NIS SRPGs drive me crazy, and this one's worse than most.

The first time I played this game I died on the third mission because all of my soldiers suddenly disappeared from the map.

After going 'huh' for a moment I shut it off and never touched it again.

Why don't more NIS sRPG ports go to the handhelds? Their grindy nature is perfect for on-the-go gaming.

Dash

Pureauthor said:
Why don't more NIS sRPG ports go to the handhelds? Their grindy nature is perfect for on-the-go gaming.

Not everyone enjoys playing 100+ hour games on a posture-destroying tiny screen.

Bebpo

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
Am I the only person whose favorite Nippon Ichi strategy RPG is Phantom Brave? Yeah?

My favorite is Makai Kingdom which is basically PB2 since it evolves PB's gameplay systems.

PB is my 2nd least favorite after La Pucelle (which doesn't really count in my mind; I think N1 didn't understand how to make an srpg until Disgaea). The story is good and depressing but it's paced far too slow and the battle system has some issues.

Pureauthor said:

DS - Biggest selling factor to the anime crowd in N1 games are the hundreds of megs of good quality full voice acting by famous actors. Can't do that on DS as Disgaea port showed.

PSP - Sales would be less than PS2/PS3.

TheBlackQueen

Neo Member
EmCeeGramr said:
Why the hell would they release screenshots as GIFs. That's just... what.

Its absolutely vomit inducing.

Phantom Brave was the only PS2 NIS strat RPG I never finished, wonder if this will be worth a look.

Link

The Autumn Wind
You know, I have no idea who this game is supposed to sell to. Anyone hardcore enough to be buying an N1 title likely bought this five years ago. Are the extras really that compelling that anyone would considering rebuying it? Even everyone in this thread is saying they're going to pass on it.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I'm actually a bit suprised at the distaste for this game, it's my #3 SRPG
behind Final Fantasy Tactics (#1) and Fire Emblem : Radiant Dawn (#2)
. The gameplay isn't as easy as other NI games (since your ghost allies have a limited number of turns that they can be active in a battle), but I adore the characters and story far more than any other NI game.

I just overleveled my weapon for Marona and made fillets out of everyone, including that ultimate overlord (whose name escapes me right now).

... I think I'll load up that savegame just for kicks.

Anyways, I can't help but wonder what the extra content is....

Top Bottom