• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nifflas' Night Game now Wii(ware) Exclusive

Nifflas announced yesterday on his
index.php
that his current physics-based platformer project will not have a PC version, but be solely available on WiiWare.

1399098540_f70e6441fe_o.png

nightgame.jpg

For those unaware of Nifflas or Night Game, he is the creator of the famous freeware games Knytt and Knytt Stories, 2d platform games which concentrate on exploration, precision jumping at times, and minimalistic yet stylish atmosphere. Night Game seems to be following in the same footsteps.

There is a new trailer up on http://go nintendo.com/?p=74026 (just copy and paste in the address bar, and remove the space to see it) for those wishing to see it in motion.

pakkit

Banned
SilverLunar said:
There is a thread about this already.
There are 2 threads about this already, although I'm not sure if they mention the exclusivity. I don't especially care about exclusivity, but the game sure does look nice. I'm curious as to how it controls, as that tends to be the crux of ball-rolling Wii games.

TunaLover

I hope this means more sales for Night Game WiiWare

And yeah I made the second thread about the same subject, the exclusivty thing is new though. :lol

harSon

Banned
I wonder if he was inspired by those Outback Steakhouse commercials a few months back, I remember seeing them and thinking that the art style would be perfect for a game.

pakkit

Banned
Rash said:
All PC games like this should just be WiiWare exclusive.

Do we really want more of that 90% piracy bullshit to happen?
They don't lose money from piracy... That 10% still gives them a profit.

nifflas was already on my 'complete douchebag' list.. so whatever.

Rash said:
Do we really want more of that 90% piracy bullshit to happen?
since his previous pc releases were freeware, make that 100% piracy. think of all the money he lost on that shit! oh my god

tenritsu

Banned
I like how it's not Nifflas' decision yet people are bitching about him. :lol

Maybe people should read his post before they start tearing into things that they don't know about?

TunaLover said:
Outstanding, really, it's almost like a epidemy, I always though that ''why it's on Wii'' whining was GAF exclusive meme.
These are probably the same people that always complain about the wii not having any game. If the Wii is involved you can bet there will always be some unwarranted bitching from someone.

Joseph Merrick said:
make that 100% piracy.
Freeware isn't piracy. I don't see your point. This game is being made for the wii not ported to the wii.

Haunted

:eek: Didn't even know he was making a new game.

First Cave Story, now this. Respect, Wiiware, respect.

Everyone who's not played Within a Deep Forest, Knytt or Knytt Stories yet, please do so. Simple yet great. Support awesome indie games.

Cheez-It

Shiggie said:
How the hell is this "world of goo ish"?
is it the circles, colors...?

I'm guessing it isn't because it's an effort from a similar sized team.

That looks pretty interesting.

That is 2d.

And has a somewhat whimsical art style.

And also seems to use physics (however light they are in either game).

No. Certainly not similar at all.

Shiggie said:
How the hell is this "world of goo ish"?
is it the circles, colors...?
Physics based downloadable game for Wiiware. Also the artstyle is somewhat similar looking in ways AND both games have windmills.

Haunted

The World of Goo comparison is bs, made by someone who just quickly glanced at the screens and knows nothing about Nifflas or his games. Imo.

Also, someone said he's worried about the res - what resolution did his previous games run at? I'd be very surprised if the native res of any was even close to 640x480.

Cyan said:
I'm also not enamored with the idea of Nifflas making a low-res game. Part of what has made his other games so appealing is the myriad of tiny details on every screen, the kind of stuff that would be much harder to do in a low-res environment.

Knytt's resolution is 600x240.

Haunted said:
:eek: Didn't even know he was making a new game.

That concept art pic was released soon after Knytt stories was released, it's been in the works for a while.

epmode said:
I'm just sad that such a stylish game will forever be stuck at 480p max. PC release pls.

I doubt it would have been any higher res even on the PC.

Cheez-It

Cyan said:
If it is "World of Goo-ish," it's purely coincidence. Nifflas has been working on this for years, ever since Knytt Stories came out. You could see for yourself if his forums hadn't been messed up and had to be restarted.

Similar-sized team? Isn't it just Nifflas working on this?

WTF?

I don't understand what's so complex about that statement. It's not like he's saying 'this is a game with balls that you connect to get to the pipe'!

Is a two person effort much different than a one person effort? Stop interpreting things so literally. It's quite silly.

pakkit

Banned
Cyan said:
Ok, so does that mean all those little details would translate over fine? It always seems like PC games with small stuff like that transfer poorly (see Worms, for example).
2s8i5bc.gif

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Cyan said:
Wha-ha-hat?

Nifflas making Wii exclusive? Does not compute.

I'm also not enamored with the idea of Nifflas making a low-res game. Part of what has made his other games so appealing is the myriad of tiny details on every screen, the kind of stuff that would be much harder to do in a low-res environment.

Sorry but... :lol :lol

(Also: read his post on the forums about the decision on the Wiiware's exclusivity deal)

Dragmire

I hope this game does really well for him. I love his games (I'll definitely be getting this one, too).

Also, the visual style reminds me of Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet more than World of Goo, because of the way the foreground is the the darkest layer. But obviously, much like World of Goo, any comparisons end there. Different games, different genres.

Eteric Rice

I was going to buy it even if it wasn't exclusive.

I have to hand it to the fans on his forum, they're taking it well. Maybe down the road he'll release a PC version as well?

Somnid

TheGrayGhost said:
I don't know, but that would be interesting.

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=17588

Nintendo said:
REDMOND, Wash., Feb. 26, 2009 – While everyone is still buzzing about the upcoming April 5 launch of the Nintendo DSi™ system, video game fans will have plenty of great games and experiences to keep them busy. Nintendo has an extensive, diverse library of about 120 games on the way for both the Wii™ and Nintendo DS™ systems. Upcoming Nintendo-published video games for Wii include:

Nintendo said:
• Night Game, developed and published by Nicalis: Exclusively for WiiWare, Night Game (working title) is part action game and part puzzler. It invites players into a beautifully atmospheric world, where they must use real physics to maneuver a mysterious, glowing sphere through vastly different locales. Night Game pushes the boundaries of design with its unique art style, and professionally produced music score. This title is a 2009 Independent Games Festival Seumas McNally Award nominee and from the same developers responsible for Cave Story on Wii.

Yep. Looks like it. He signed an exclusivity deal for Nintendo to publish it. Absolutely the right decision too, he'll probably sell 10x the amount of copies with Nintendo's stamp on it.

Nicktals

Banned
Somnid said:
http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=17588

Nintendo Press Thing said:
• Night Game, developed and published by Nicalis: Exclusively for WiiWare, Night Game (working title) is part action game and part puzzler. It invites players into a beautifully atmospheric world, where they must use real physics to maneuver a mysterious, glowing sphere through vastly different locales. Night Game pushes the boundaries of design with its unique art style, and professionally produced music score. This title is a 2009 Independent Games Festival Seumas McNally Award nominee and from the same developers responsible for Cave Story on Wii.

Yep. Looks like it. He signed an exclusivity deal for Nintendo to publish it. Absolutely the right decision too, he'll probably sell 10x the amount of copies with Nintendo's stamp on it.

I think that says it's being published by Nicalis. Although I'm not sure how publishing for WiiWare works to begin with...Can there be two publishers or something?

The correct way to read the press release:

Press Release said:
Upcoming Nintendo-published video games for Wii include:

[list of Nintendo-published games]

Nintendo's downloadable WiiWare service continues to be a showcase for new games, new concepts and new ideas. A selection of upcoming titles includes:

[awesome list of WiiWare games]

The Wiiware list is separate from the Nintendo-published list.

Cipherr

Am I reading that linked website right? They are no longer going to support and follow/cover the game? :lol I guess man. Nothing wrong with wanting a version for your platform of choice (PC) but that seems a bit extreme. He is still the same guy.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Sucks, seems like an arbitrary exclusive which I'd rather play on the PC. Doesn't mean I won't buy it on WiiWare though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Puncture said:
Am I reading that linked website right? They are no longer going to support and follow/cover the game? :lol I guess man. Nothing wrong with wanting a version for your platform of choice (PC) but that seems a bit extreme. He is still the same guy.

They're even going to delete the forum for the game. :lol :lol

Chumly

Even I am sad about this news. Already explained my case to Nifflas, and got the same answer as he posted here.

The biggest concequence for this, is that we'll be removing NightGame from the forum in a while because its hard to give support for this title if you can't play it. Since Nifflas originally makes games for the PC, I think its best to keep support to pc related games only. Would NightGame be a PC game too, I would have no problems with having it also for the Wii though. the minor differences are something you can overcome, but I honestly can't tell you how to beat a level if I haven't even been able to play the game, and buyng a Wii isn't an option.

I suspect that Nicalis made a deal with Nintendo to probably get it on wiiware or something, but in return they were forced to make it wiiware only. If this is so, then its too bad cus Nicalis wouldn't have to do this if he played it smarter.

What da fuck?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Puncture said:

I didn't see that... WHICH linked website?

(...and we thought Sony/MS/Nintendo fans were crazed...)

AniHawk

Chumly said:
What da fuck?

I suspect that Nicalis made a deal with Nintendo to probably get it on wiiware or something, but in return they were forced to make it wiiware only. If this is so, then its too bad cus Nicalis wouldn't have to do this if he played it smarter.

Yes, instead of potentially making some money, he could have played it smarter and been faced with a 90% piracy rate.

freddy

Banned
I'm surprised how many people bleat the 90% piracy rate despite it being based on dodgy unique IP data. It's like no one has a dynamic IP.

Based on previous games I'll be buying this anyway.

To be honest I prefer this game to be a disaster and selling 300 copies on Wiiware than being pirated to fuck on PC but still selling a shitload more. In your face, Nifflas.

Top Bottom