• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full ArmA 2 weapons list (73)

panda21 said:
wasn't arma 1 supposed to be complete rubbish? what game am i confusing it with?!

ArmA was pretty shoddy before the 1.14 patch (which seriously boosted performance). Its single player isn't anywhere near as good as any of the OFP campaigns, it feels like just a bunch of seperate missions strung together without any real narrative. Kind of a shame because OFP Resistance had a pretty compelling story with the British ex-pat.

Multiplayer is beastly though.

dorkimoe

Red Blaster said:
ArmA was pretty shoddy before the 1.14 patch (which seriously boosted performance). Its single player isn't anywhere near as good as any of the OFP campaigns, it feels like just a bunch of seperate missions strung together without any real narrative. Kind of a shame because OFP Resistance had a pretty compelling story with the British ex-pat.

Multiplayer is beastly though.

its a shame it doesnt work on good computers :(

dorkimoe

Joseph Merrick said:
what you mean? edit: q6600, gtx295, 6gigs of ram and the game runs flawlessly here.

8 gigs , vista 64bit, the game doesnt even open :(. fully patched and everything *cries*

it just loads on a black screen, downloaded the demo to, it just sits on a screen like this

l_29df7bf5f7154bc5bc7ee1e4b80dc0e6.jpg

Cobra84

dorkimoe said:
8 gigs , vista 64bit, the game doesnt even open :(. fully patched and everything *cries*

it just loads on a black screen, downloaded the demo to, it just sits on a screen like this

Do you have the 1.15 beta patch? Its supposed to fix problems on computers with 4GB or more of ram.

dorkimoe said:

I'm running vista64 aswell. no problems. edit: that's both versions 1.14 and 1.15 working with no problems. with or without sli enabled. all good.

So is the GAF consensus that OpFlash fans should go after the ArmA series as the true sequels rather than OpFlash 2? Both are looking pretty impressive, and I'm in it mainly for the co-op multi against the AI, and while I could convince myself to buy both, I want to make sure I'm focusing my sales pitch in the appropriate direction.

dorkimoe

Cobra84 said:
Do you have the 1.15 beta patch? Its supposed to fix problems on computers with 4GB or more of ram.

yes, i tried all the patches

its the weirdest thing ever though

the installer installs it to 2 directories? for whatever reason

i tried patch 1.14 and 1.15, both just sit and load until i end task it.

if anyone has a fix for this i would seriously owe you forever. i want to play this so bad stupid joseph making me want to play :(

Tab0203

platypotamus said:
... OpFlash fans should go after the ArmA series as the true sequels rather than OpFlash 2? ...
YES.

Bohemia: There’s Only One Real Flashpoint Sequel
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/02/27/bohemia-theres-only-one-real-flashpoint-sequel/

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=59;t=77485
BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE MADE THE FOLLOWING PRESS RELEASE TODAY:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

THE NAME GAME: CODEMASTERS’ MARKETING OF NEW “OPERATION FLASHPOINT” CREATES CONFUSION, PROVOKES PROTEST

Is the upcoming Codemasters game really “the much anticipated return of the genre-defining military conflict simulator” Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis?

Is it really “the official sequel to the multi-award winning Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis”?

Bohemia Interactive says: “No! What matters is the game, not the name.”

Prague, Czech Republic, February 26, 2009 - In a letter from its attorneys to the English company The Codemasters Software Company Ltd, Bohemia Interactive Studio s.r.o., the leading Czech-based independent games developer, is protesting Codemasters’ marketing tactics which tout Codemasters’ upcoming game Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising as the “return of” or “official sequel to” the genre-defining game Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis.

The award-winning Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis was created by Bohemia Interactive in 1997-2001. Bohemia Interactive licensed its creation to Codemasters to publish and distribute. Although Codemasters owns the “Operation Flashpoint” trade mark and plans to release its new game under that title, Bohemia Interactive has always owned 100% of the original OFP game. Bohemia also provided gaming community complete set of editing tools and on-going support that turned the original OFP into one of the most modded PC games ever. Codemasters owns only the name – and Bohemia Interactive wants fans to understand that Codemasters’ new game is not from the same development team that brought them the classic original.

“In the license agreement, Bohemia Interactive expressly reserved the exclusive right to develop sequels to the original OFP game,” says Leora Herrmann of Kluger, Peretz, Kaplan & Berlin, PL in Miami, attorneys for Bohemia Interactive. “Codemasters also acknowledged that Bohemia owns all the intellectual property in the game – except the words ‘Operation Flashpoint’,” adds Herrmann.

“Since Codemasters has no right to use the Bohemia Interactive game engine or any other component of the Bohemia-developed game, how can it rightfully claim to produce a ‘sequel’?” asks Bohemia Interactive CEO Marek Spanel.

Because Codemasters owns the trade mark “Operation Flashpoint,” Bohemia Interactive cannot use the name for its own sequels. Instead, ArmA, released in 2007 and already adopted by the modding community, is powered by the second generation of the Bohemia game engine. Bohemia Interactive is currently working on its latest revolutionary re-creation of modern military conflict – ArmA II, due out later this year– which will be powered by the third generation of its engine and is based on the same original design concepts and artistic style of Bohemia Interactive’s legendary releases OFP: Cold War Crisis and OFP: Resistance.

In fact, the ground-breaking game engine that Bohemia Interactive launched initially in OFP: Cold War Crisis has spawned not only ArmA and the upcoming state-of-the-art ArmA II, but in its most sophisticated incarnation to date also powers Bohemia Interactive’s VBS combat training simulators used by armed forces around the world, including the recently announced Game After Ambush training program for the US Army.

“We can’t stop Codemasters from releasing a game using the words ‘Operation Flashpoint,’” acknowledged Spanel. “But it is not right to promote this game as the ‘official sequel to the multi-award winning Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis’ or the ‘return’ of Bohemia Interactive’s ‘genre-defining military conflict simulator.’ The awards were given for the game created by Bohemia Interactive - not to a name.”

*edit*
Poseidon to ArmA 2 : A History of Flashpoint
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrPo9jmnkDw&fmt=18

platypotamus said:
So is the GAF consensus that OpFlash fans should go after the ArmA series as the true sequels rather than OpFlash 2? Both are looking pretty impressive, and I'm in it mainly for the co-op multi against the AI, and while I could convince myself to buy both, I want to make sure I'm focusing my sales pitch in the appropriate direction.

90% of the servers in ArmA are coop, mainly some version of Evolution (huge ass coop, basically work to take over 10 different cities filled with enemies on the map).

Zenith

Banned
dorkimoe said:
yes, i tried all the patches

its the weirdest thing ever though

the installer installs it to 2 directories? for whatever reason

i tried patch 1.14 and 1.15, both just sit and load until i end task it.

if anyone has a fix for this i would seriously owe you forever. i want to play this so bad stupid joseph making me want to play :(

You could try the official forums. Arma is incredibly unpolished but it doesn't have much in the way of CTDs or game-breaking bugs.

dorkimoe

Joseph Merrick said:
must be your videocard drivers?

fully updated :(

i searched the official forums, and everyone said the same thing

update to 1.14 and make sure all sound/video drivers are up

and everything is updated :(

i guess it wasnt meant to be

Red Blaster said:
90% of the servers in ArmA are coop, mainly some version of Evolution (huge ass coop, basically work to take over 10 different cities filled with enemies on the map).

No shit. Not sure how I missed out on that. Sounds awesome.

Zenith

Banned
soultron said:
I love you OP. Gonna play OFP for the first time ever right now.

if you're new to the genre don't expect good directions on where to go and what to do from your CO. constantly refer back to your map and briefing for what you should be doing. always hit lay prone (z) before you open fire and always use iron sights (v). never be afraid to use your ai teammates to draw enemy fire.

Zenith

Banned
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5364

The developer has a started a bitching war with a games site because they didn't give them a 100% positive preview, as well as still holding a grudge for a low review score for Arma 1. The BIS CEO even said they should have given the game a higher score because BIS gave them the exclusive review. Goddamn how unprofessional can BIS be with PR? Total morons.

Manager

Here are some HUD images:
952603_20090429_screen001.jpg

952603_20090429_screen002.jpg

952603_20090429_screen003.jpg

952603_20090429_screen004.jpg

952603_20090429_screen005.jpg

Really nice, kind of feels like a must-have PC game.

Here's what they said about a console version, back in March:
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1263107#post1263107

To provide some more "insider info" about console development. The obligatory rule with titles published on consoles is that until you can announce exact details about the title, including a publisher, you cannot publicly confirm anything about the console title, not even the fact you are developing the title on the console.

Hence we cannot confirm anything and the status of the console versions stays TBD.

Release 26th of June:
29th April 2009 - 505 Games and Bohemia Interactive today confirmed 26th June as the long anticipated European release date for ArmA II. The sequel to Bohemia Interactive’s celebrated military shooter promises to deliver more of the authentic battlefield experience the series is famed for, while developing each area of game play with expansive new features.

Featuring the most realistic warfare ever, ArmA II promises to build on the excellent features that have made Bohemia Interactive a respected name among gamers. Players can expect in-depth team-based combat, a comprehensive playbook of military tactics and an enormous battlefield to push strategy to the limit.

ArmA II benefits from a 3rd generation game engine that has been in constant development for 10 years; no other developer can offer such a great heritage in creating open-world military shooters. The Bohemia engine has been recognised as a benchmark in producing realistic warfare simulations to such an extent that the developer has used its Real Virtuality engine as the basis for training simulators used by armies across the globe, including the United States Marine Corps, UK Ministry of Defence and Australian Defence Force.

This experience is also helping Bohemia Interactive to craft an incredibly detailed storyline, full of political intrigue and plot twists, which blurs the boundaries between fact and fiction. Set in the near future in a fictional post-Soviet country called Chernarus, players take on the role of a United States Marine Corps Force Recon squad, who are called to the country as a peacekeeping force to prevent further civilian casualties and ensure ongoing stability.

“It has been a pleasure building on the success of the first ArmA title,” commented Alex Price, Senior Global Brand Manager, 505 Games. “ArmA has such a vociferous community behind it that we new we had to get this one absolutely right. We are confident that the dedicated fans won’t be disappointed as will as any newcomers to the series.”

ArmA II will be released for 26th June exclusively for PC. For all the latest information please visit www.arma2.com

This looks amazing,Really interested now.

Just hope my PC can run it,Although it does run crysis decently so hopefully it will be fine.

Zenith

Banned
4-arma2_preview_hwupgrade_it_april_3.jpg

4-arma2_preview_hwupgrade_it_april_4.jpg

4-arma2_preview_hwupgrade_it_april_5.jpg

A lot of previews are mentionion it's really unoptimised at higher settings. Predicting as rough as Arma1 launch.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
june 23rd release seems awfully soon. seems like the kind of game that should spend a while in closed beta first.

while it's insane that a game like this can even exist, i really don't want to feel i'm playing a masterpiece that's falling apart at the seams.

Top Bottom