• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 80GB for $299 (Dell.com)

Mrbob

Here is time for for the $299 brigade on GAF to put up or shut up.

$299 is the magical price, here it is!

dolemite

How can Dell get away with these discounts? I purchased a Wii for 200$ from them when it was still hard to find in stores.

Awntawn

dolemite said:
How can Dell get away with these discounts? I purchased a Wii for 200$ from them when it was still hard to find in stores.
it's pretty much an advertising promotion for them. get people to go to their site and register accounts, and hope that the next time you need any computer goodies you remember them.

Brofist

Mrbob said:
Here is time for for the $299 brigade on GAF to put up or shut up.

$299 is the magical price, here it is!

That's the first thing that I thought. I'm gonna guess the magic number will be lowered to $199 now. :D

Truespeed

dolemite said:

It's called a loss leader. You see, Dell wants you to purchase a $2000 Michael Pachter Special Edition Gaming PC in addition to the PS3.

BiggNife

When I tried to get a 360 from them, it came with a bad hard drive. Sent it back, got a new one, and that one had a broken hdd as well.

As great of a price as that is, I don't think I could buy it in good conscience.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BiggNife said:
When I tried to get a 360 from them, it came with a bad hard drive. Sent it back, got a new one, and that one had a broken hdd as well.

As great of a price as that is, I don't think I could buy it in good conscience.
They are new so you had really bad luck.

Teddman

Fry's is also offering $299 80GB PS3's... When I asked, they were refurbished.

Could be the case here too. I'll wait for the E3 cut.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Truespeed said:
It's called a loss leader. You see, Dell wants you to purchase a $2000 Michael Pachter Special Edition Gaming PC in addition to the PS3.
zoidberg.jpg

I'll take 8!

RBH

Teddman said:

I'm pretty sure they're new. Dell has done tons of these deals recently for the 360 and PS3, and it's all been for new systems.

Dell has never sold refurbs, as far as I know.

Speevy

Banned
They should sell these systems without hard drives for $250, and let you buy your own.

(of course with the disclaimer that the system doesn't work as-is).

BiggNife said:

well those were 360s. This is a ps3 they work.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Speevy said:
They should sell these systems without hard drives for $250, and let you buy your own.

ssssshhhhhh don't say that.

We already have people who have the magical price point at $299. Don't give them any ideas.

Speevy said:

thats the stupidest thing anyone can do.... oh shitz teh 360 atleast workerz for a few weeks the ps3z is dead out of teh bozx.

_Angelus_

Banned
I forgto to to say that I bought one of these PS3s from Dell,no regrets. $300.00 worth of goodness. The system was new,looked factory fresh,I've had no problems since receiving it.

Teddman said:

Don't forget that you still have to pay tax on it. Tigerdirect.com has refurb 80gigs but with Sixaxis controllers for $301.98 shipped out the door. No tax, $2 shipping.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4270718&sku=S171-1088

Shins said:
and forfeit upscaling on ps2 games? sorry I'm not a peasant

Not only upscaling but wifi, unlimited memory card space, and wireless controllers.

kpop100 said:
That's the first thing that I thought. I'm gonna guess the magic number will be lowered to $199 now. :D

I got my 40 gig used for $220 but if they were $199, I would buy a second one for my other TV and a back up. My PS3 is my main divx player.

Meier

That's an amazing deal... my 40 gig is almost full. Sucks. :(

Looks like they have the RE5 Elite for $350 too.

Matt_C

verio said:
Thank you, sir.

Just bought myself another PS3. Giving the ol' 60 GB to the girlfriend.

I just hope the G/F is worth it if you know what I mean.

If I ever give a 60 gig PS3 to a woman, she better be faithful to me or something since a 60 gig PS3 is just amazing. Backwards compatibility and multiple card slots FTW.

JB1981

It's just the system, no controller right? They are selling the DS for $35 too ......

Wait, are you guys saying that this model does not have built-in WIFI?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kydd BlaZe said:
How long do these sales usually last? Im definitely thinking about taking the plunge.

It's written at the bottom of that banner. 4/27

Funny it lasts till the end of the "electrifying announcement " day.

womfalcs3

Banned
While customizing the PS3, they're offering DS3 controllers for $35, and Killzone 2/Resistance 2 are $40 each.

EDIT: After tax, controller deal not that lucrative.

zaidr

JB1981 said:
It's just the system, no controller right? They are selling the DS for $35 too

What an asshole you are. DS for $35...just spent 10 minutes looking around the site to find out it the fucking DualShock 3 controller...:lol :lol :lol

JB1981

zaidr said:
What an asshole you are. DS for $35...just spent 10 minutes looking around the site to find out it the fucking DualShock 3 controller...:lol :lol :lol

What are you talking about? They are selling the Dual Shock 3 controller for $35 if you get in on the $299 deal. Sorry that you thought it was a Nintendo DS - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Blueblur1

I paid $500 for my backwards compatible 60 GB PS3 and I've never used the BC feature. I wish I would have waited for a deal like this or the rumored Summer price drop.

Top Bottom