• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate - Official Thread (don't miss this if you like CRPGs)

Durante

dxk9oo.jpg

What?

NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate (MoW) is an adventure pack (something like a mini expansion pack that focuses more on story than game additions) for Neverwinter Nights 2 that adds an independent ~15 hour adventure in the city of Westgate, "the most infamous and corrupt city in the Forgotten Realms". It was made by Ossian Studios.

Basic Information
  • Price: 9.99 USD
  • Release date: April 29th, worldwide (digital distribution)
  • Requires vanilla NWN2, compatible with (but does not require) both expansions
  • Starting character level 8
  • Official site
  • Ossian site
  • Atari store

Reviews
  • Neverwinter Nights 2 Vault 8.6/10
    "This is one of the most polished and bug-free adventures I've played for NWN2 (and I'm including the OC and expansion packs in the mix). In 30+ hours of play, I found very little to take the gloss off this product."
  • The Thieves' Guild 9.5/10
    "I enjoyed playing Mysteries of Westgate far more than the OC, SoZ or even MotB. For those of you who have patiently waited through the endless delays, this has been well worth the wait."
  • Gameplay.hr 86%
    "A small studio like Ossian created what is perhaps the best title in the Neverwinter Nights 2 series. The whole game exudes a more enigmatic and mystical atmosphere than was the case with other NWN2 titles. During the more than 20 hours of playing we have done with MoW, we constantly had the feeling that we were playing an enhanced version of the urban adventures in Athkatla from Baldur's Gate 2."
  • RPGWatch 4/5
    "Mysteries of Westgate is priced like a little module but performs like a full expansion - once again Ossian Studios has delivered in a big way for the Neverwinter Nights franchise! From the engaging story to the well thought out characters and side quests to the challenging combat, I was sorry when I knew I was getting to the end."

Screenshots

2medg6o.jpg

15mhfzp.jpg

2n8swf9.jpg

ElyrionX

Interesting.

What's the battle system in NWN2 like? Is it like Baldur's Gate 2? Does it use a similar party system?

Durante

ElyrionX said:
Interesting.

What's the battle system in NWN2 like? Is it like Baldur's Gate 2? Does it use a similar party system?
It's a lot like BG2, but based on a newer version of the D&D ruleset -- one that (purists don't kill me) actually makes a lot more sense in a few cases. The party system is also quite similar, but in all the games except SoZ you are limited to 4 characters in your party at any point in time (though you can mod that if you want to). Some people are not very happy with the UI, but I personally think it's superior compared to the IE games -- and there aren't many party-based RPGs with strategic combat out there to compare it to.

Llyranor

Need to finish SoZ first. It's been in the backlog for some long. I'm not sure if I can stand the NWN2 engine anymore, or if it's just SoZ not being that good.

Minsc

Gold Member
Can't wait, though I did just start up an Icewind Dale game the other day, and I'll be damned if it isn't every bit as fun as I remembered.

Just noticed the NeoGaf Official Thread type, nice work! :lol

Still gotta beat Mask of the Betrayer, but I'm keeping an eye on this...

Do you know if it's possible to buy the "files" then update a computer that doesn't have an Internet Connection? Ridiculous, I know, but still...

Durante said:
Some people are not very happy with the UI, but I personally think it's superior compared to the IE games -- and there aren't many party-based RPGs with strategic combat out there to compare it to.

When I first got NWN2, I hated the camera controls... for some reason I remember NWN to be much easier to control, but I don't have it installed anymore to do a comparison. Even still, the camera always bugs me a little, but with pausing, it's not a huge deal - I'm over it.

I do miss the Radial controls of the original NWN, but again - It doesn't bug me like it used to.

I'm curious about these Ossian Studios guys - Obsidian are top-class so if these other peeps are on par, I'm stoked!

epmode

Those reviews are promising. I might grab this once I get around to MotB. Is the DRM still the worst shit ever?

Minsc

Gold Member
shrapnelmagnet said:

Do you know if it's possible to buy the "files" then update a computer that doesn't have an Internet Connection? Ridiculous, I know, but still...

Nope. You need a valid .key file matching the hardware the game is running on. The only way to get a .key file is to activate the game through the internet (to a maximum of 3 times, then you need to rebuy it).

epmode said:
Those reviews are promising. I might grab this once I get around to MotB. Is the DRM still the worst shit ever?

I guess let's get this out of the way way now, here you go.

Durante

shrapnelmagnet said:
I don't think so, the DRM requires online activation. (I guess you could always buy it and crack it when that inevitably happens *insert DMCA disclaimer*)

Joseph Merrick said:
oh fuck that's right. I'd already forgotten this is actually coming out
I can't blame you :lol. And I think quite a few people could have forgotten about it in the year since the original previews were published.

epmode

Minsc said:
The only way to get a .key file is to activate the game through the internet (to a maximum of 3 times, then you need to rebuy it).
Fuck you Atari.

edit: I don't mean to ruin this otherwise rad thread with a discussion on garbage DRM policies and their effect on my purchasing habits. I'll stop now.

Minsc

Gold Member
epmode said:
Fuck you Atari.

I realized I was a little harsh by saying you need to rebuy it, you can actually spend 60 minutes on the phone talking to computers and minimum wage drones to add another activation if you use all of them up. But I'm not sure it's worth the frustration, if it's anything like EA's support line, I'd sooner rebuy the game or find a workaround.

Durante

For the record, I detest DRM in general and limited activations in particular, but 3 installs (or more if you keep the same hardware?) of a single-player only 15 hour RPG campaign for 9.99 is still a good deal. Especially if the game is even close to being as good as the reviews suggest.

shrapnelmagnet said:
When I first got NWN2, I hated the camera controls... for some reason I remember NWN to be much easier to control, but I don't have it installed anymore to do a comparison. Even still, the camera always bugs me a little, but with pausing, it's not a huge deal - I'm over it.

I do miss the Radial controls of the original NWN, but again - It doesn't bug me like it used to.
I always disliked the original NWN's UI. I'm no longer sure why, perhaps the colossal disappointment that game was for me spilled over on all its aspects. I already preferred NWN2's in its initial version, and it got even better with the updates in the various addons/patches. The only remaining problem I have with the engine is a technical one -- the ridiculous performance penalty at highest shadow settings.

One thing that is certainly true is that I'd never want to play NWN2 with only the mouse. Some of the kayboard shortcuts are essential.

shrapnelmagnet said:
I'm curious about these Ossian Studios guys - Obsidian are top-class so if these other peeps are on par, I'm stoked!
They made Darkness over Daggerford, a widely acclaimed NWN1 module.

thaOwner

shrapnelmagnet said:

I just started NW2 and god do I hate the camera controls. Is there anyway to re-configure the buttons ? The current
gameplay controls are making it really hard for me to like the game and the dialogue choices seems so interesting too.

epmode

thaOwner said:
I just started NW2 and god do I hate the camera controls.
Did you get any of the expansions? I'm not very familiar with the vanilla release, but I know that the expansions add additional camera options.

Durante

Joseph Merrick said:
yeah, but this was only a week ago hehe
There was also this. I guess it was true for some value of "soon".

thaOwner said:
I just started NW2 and god do I hate the camera controls. Is there anyway to re-configure the buttons?
How are you playing the game? Personally I always use exploration mode (isometric centered on the current character) for dungeon exploration and battles and character mode in all other cases.

I really think a lot of people are using the NWN2 engine "wrong", otherwise there shouldn't be many problems/complaints. I'll try to do a more in-depth exlpanation shortly.

Tokubetsu

I still need to beat the last act in MoTB and I haven't even bought SoZ yet (I'll probably buy this before I do that :lol ) but the only thing I can say I hate about NWN2 is the combat system but that just might be me making the horrible mistake of rolling a rogue in OC....not knowing that like the first 1/4 or 1/2 of the game would not allow me to do dmg properly. I'm pretty familiar with DnD rules...Just wish I had known that a lot of the game would be undead/spirits etc.

Combine

Banned
Argh! I still need to beat MotB (I think I need to start it all over at this point since I probably don't even remember where I left off). But I think I'll at least purchase this all the same, especially if its primarily story driven.

The thing that probably will shy me away from SoZ was that it was more a gameplay upgrade game rather than a story game and the story and characters were really lacking from what I've read (especially since all your companions are pretty much just bots).

Glad the series is still getting support. Hopefully Obsidian will come up with something new again too in the future. By then they'll probably need to go with D&D4e though.

Durante

I spent far too much time making a small guide showing how I play the game. This is certainly not the only way to play NWN2 (I never even use battle mode!), but it works very well for me. I hope it helps those that have problems controlling the game.

First, exploration mode, which I use for (non-trivial) battles and dungeon exploration. Also shows how to select other characters.
2lavsk7.jpg

Second, character mode, used for general running around, conversations and taking in the scenery. Points out the usage of the Z key which is a bit immersion breaking but too useful to ignore.
2jdn8lf.jpg

Finally, some of the keyboard shortcuts I find useful. V is often overlooked, and note that you can close any window you opened most recently with Esc.
2d18o8.jpg

Here are the mode settings to make everything work as described:
2u4jyhj.jpg

Now I don't want any more whining you hear!

Durante

BeeDog said:
Good guide, but you need to learn to use WASD for movement. :D
I tried that initially, but for NWN2 I found that I prefer to use the mouse. WASD is certainly an equally valid way of doing things -- the engine really is very flexible with how you can play the game.

Judging from the UI complains frequently heard such flexibility may not really be desired by many though (which I find disappointing since I love it). Perhaps it's just a matter of finding better defaults.

BeeDog

I agree.

And another Voice Chat combo that gets important at parts because of the fucking horrible AI:

V->W->E to force all the unselected party members to attack the enemies.

"Should I attack?

Should I attack?

Should I attack?

Should I attack?

Should I attack?"

:mad: ATTACK YOU FUCKING MOFOS

On a side note, has anyone successfully managed to use Strategy Mode for something useful? :lol Whenever I tried to make use of it, I tried playing it BG2 style, but the party AI completely borked, and plus the heavy focus of close combat renders deep strategies worthless, at least in my opinion.

Chinner

Banned
I actually got the original NWN sitting on my shelf, but I never got around to playing it because my computer is fairly crap. Is it any good?

BeeDog

Chinner said:
I actually got the original NWN sitting on my shelf, but I never got around to playing it because my computer is fairly crap. Is it any good?

Skip it, the original campaign doesn't hold up very well at all (I assume you're talking about NWN1).

BeeDog said:
Skip it, the original campaign doesn't hold up very well at all (I assume you're talking about NWN1).

Agree, Original Neverwinter Nights campaign is a bore... all expansions are excellent, though.

Neverwinter Nights 2 campaign is pretty solid, I'd say... and the ONLY issue I have with MOTB is the really annoying
spirit-eater
mechanics (I know they can be modded out)

Tokubetsu

Durante said:
I tried that initially, but for NWN2 I found that I prefer to use the mouse. WASD is certainly an equally valid way of doing things -- the engine really is very flexible with how you can play the game.

Judging from the UI complains frequently heard such flexibility may not really be desired by many though (which I find disappointing since I love it). Perhaps it's just a matter of finding better defaults.

Funny you made a guide for it. I pretty much play exactly how you listed.

While bg2 / torment are among my favorite games of all time the nwn series doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

GAF, convince me to get around the horrible artstyle / interface design / generic look and pull trough on this. Please.

Llyranor

Mask of the Betrayer is the closest thing we've ever gotten to Planescape Torment since 1999.

I can't stand the NWN2 engine anymore, and it still managed to be my favorite game of 2007.

If I'm buying NWN for the first time do I want to get the Gold ver or Diamond? Is there a better ver that bundles more expansions?

1stStrike

Banned
I'm still trying to get past the first area in the original NWN2. I just can't find a comfortable way to play it. It feels way too clunky to me after playing some other recent wrgps.

I hadn't really been paying attention to this, but the impressions make it seem awesome. Definitely going on my checklist for when I do eventually upgrade.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
shrapnelmagnet said:
Agree, Original Neverwinter Nights campaign is a bore... all expansions are excellent, though.

Neverwinter Nights 2 campaign is pretty solid, I'd say... and the ONLY issue I have with MOTB is the really annoying
spirit-eater
mechanics (I know they can be modded out)

Why would you take out that mechanic?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Llyranor said:
Mask of the Betrayer is the closest thing we've ever gotten to Planescape Torment since 1999.

I can't stand the NWN2 engine anymore, and it still managed to be my favorite game of 2007.

No that would be KotOR II since they share similar themes. MotB has a very different focus.

And anyone who thinks the NWN 2 engine is good needs to be tazered.

Durante

For the people still complaining about the interface: try what I wrote in post #26. I actually *like* the interface. If you still percieve it to be "clunky", then please tell me what party-based RPG with a similar combat system has a better UI, because I can't think of any (Certainly not the IE games which are almost unusable by todays standards, and the only other game of similar type I played recently is Drakensang, which, if anything, is a bit worse in the UI department). For bonus points tell me how your favourite interface is better.

InsertCredit said:
While bg2 / torment are among my favorite games of all time the nwn series doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.
First of all, don't think about it as the "NWN series". As far as singleplayer RPGs go, NWN1 is simply bad, and its expansions are only adequate. They are also really ugly by any recent standard (more so than the 2D games!). On the other hand, NWN2's original campaign is solid and its first expansion (MotB) is amazing. And I think MoW will be as well.

Llyranor

I'm actually fine with the interface *functionality*. I use the tactical camera mode at all time and it works well, and I quite like stuff like the fast-cast menu. My problem with it is just how it all *feels*.

Durante

*feels*? I'm out of here! (Well, not literally since I made the thread, but out of trying to spread my love for the interface since there's obviously nothing I can do to change how it *feels*. I want to say though that it "feels" great to me)

Edit: Maybe I should add that I also found the UI initially frustrating until I worked out which mode to use when, how to set them up according to my preferences and how to use quickspell/chat. But now I wouldn't want to change it for anything. It's a bit like Blender actually :lol

1stStrike

Banned
I'm going to give it another shot one of these days..all these expansions sound like they're worth the investment (in both time and money).

Durante

HK-47 said:
RPGWatch gave it a 4/5
Nice review, but I think the DRM whining is a bit much. They do seem to love the actual game though:
RPGWatch said:
My first instinct on the value proposition is this: you get a game that is bigger, better, deeper and more fun than the majority of new AAA releases, and you get it for $10? So I would say buy it, Buy It, BUY IT ALREADY! But there is one little caveat - DRM.

Top Bottom