• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It is TGS 2005. For Sonic's 15th Anniversary, SEGA Reveals Sonic Unleashed.

HUELEN10

THIS IS A WHAT IF
Prior footage has been leaked for the upcoming 360 at E3 05, kinda like this but better worlds better, but the news of the game & the Hedgehog Engine is revealed, and the announcement is that Sonic Unleashed comes out in mid-to-late 2006 for the character's 15th. At E3 2006, more information is unveiled including details on a new persona known as the werehog and his gameplay mechanics. Mykonos, EU, and China levels are also shown off. At TGS 2006 Sonic Unleashed for PS3 and Xbox 360 is playable on the show floor with Mykonos and EU levels. Press' opinion remains positive and calls i something that will make you forget Shadow The Hedgehog ever existed. Game announced for release in November, as well as being a launch title for the new PS3.

I have been playing some Unleashed lately now that I have had some more time available to do some gaming. I have also been thinking about on what gamers think of Sonic. Let's face it, we have seen a lot of shit. I know this may seem like a stupid what it scenario, but bear with me here. In 2005, Sonic Rush, Shadow The Hedgehog, & Sonic Gems Collection came out. Only one of those could be called shit. Though I personally think that Heroes was shit, it still sold well and the overall attitude towards it by gamers and the gaming press alike was favorable. In 2006, Sonic Riders came out and so did Sonic Rivals. These 2 games are passable at worst. Keeping this in mind, and also their release dates, what would be the opinion of the franchise? Would SEGA be praised, or would the game, releasing as exactly the same product as unleashed, received the same opinion?

The only reason this comes to mind is that if Unleashed were to be accepted favorably, the release of Secret Rings might have been looked upon very poorly. Black Knight would have probably not seen the light of day, Sonic Riders II would be an HD console exclusive taking it to the next level (Sega's words, not mine), and SEGA would have possibly taken all the resources from Unleashed to work on a sequel, maybe one without the Werehog at all. I mean, didn't Shadow use quite a bit of Heroes' resources?

The only reason I ask this is because I truly believe that Shadow The Hedgehog, and to a greater extent, Sonic 06, was the cinderblock that broke the camel's back.

Also, Black Knight, though enjoyable somewhat and graphically gorgeous, sucked.

But Unleashed sucked too for different reasons that make me even angrier. I mean, fuck me, I think 2k6 is a better proof of concept for a 3D Sonic game than Unleashed is, even with the creepy pedofur action.

Okay, let me reiterate that: the parts in which I PLAY AS SONIC - NOT THE SHITTY AMIGOS, NOT CARRYING THE FUCKING PRINCESS, NOT RIDING ON A SHITTY SNOWBOARD, JUST PLAYING AS SONIC - are truer to what I think a 3D Sonic game should be, whereas Unleashed is basically making Sonic Rush the norm, which I don't want.

HUELEN10

I AM JOHN! said:
But Unleashed sucked too for different reasons that make me even angrier. I mean, fuck me, I think 2k6 is a better proof of concept for a 3D Sonic game than Unleashed is, even with the creepy pedofur action.
Get rid of 06's existence out of your mind completely though. Would the concept of Shadow to Unleashed be good as far as improvements are concerned, or do you think that the jump that actually happened from Shadow to 06 was better?

Besides, look at the leaked 06 footage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKKH4mY1aA&fmt=18 Doesn't it look a bit like Unleashed? I know it is unrelated, but still.

Firestorm

Or Sonic Unleashed would have been rushed like Sonic 06 was for the 2006 holiday season, be missing most of the Sonic levels, missing half the things listed in the instruction manual, running off a horrible engine, glitchy as all hell, and be an even worse game than it is now.

I don't think you understand why Sonic 2006 is such a bad game. Conceptually, as far as the game mechanics went, I think they were on the right track. The game was just broken as all hell due to a severely rushed schedule. Also the scenario was balls.

HUELEN10

Firestorm said:
Or Sonic Unleashed would have been rushed like Sonic 06 was for the 2006 holiday season, be missing most of the Sonic levels, missing half the things listed in the instruction manual, running off a horrible engine, glitchy as all hell, and be an even worse game than it is now.
That would not have happened in this scenario. Didn't you read the OP?

Firestorm

HUELEN10 said:
That would not have happened in this scenario. Didn't you read the OP?
I read the OP. You have the game coming out at the same time as Sonic 2006 did. Did they figure out a way to slow down time but work at the same speed?

Firestorm said:
I read the OP. You have the game coming out at the same time as Sonic 2006 did. Did they figure out a way to slow down time but work at the same speed?
Or a way to have the game not affected by half the team being syphoned off mid-development to go make Secret Rings?

HUELEN10

Firestorm said:
No idea. This scenario does not go into how long development took. Didn't Unleashed take 3 years max?
I AM JOHN! said:
Or a way to have the game not affected by half the team being syphoned off mid-development to go make Secret Rings?
Didn't that same part that went for Secret Rings also stay away from Unleashed for Black Knight? Seriously, I do not know this.

Firestorm

HUELEN10 said:
No idea. This scenario does not go into how long development took. Didn't Unleashed take 3 years max?
I don't think you understand how design works. All the mistakes they made with 06 would probably have been made on Unleashed if it came first. The reason you have Unleashed is because of the mistakes made on 06.

Then again it's Sega who seem to think "learning from mistakes" means "learn how to do them again". Maybe Unleashed was random. It's better than 06 for sure, although still an average game at best.

Mamesj

Banned
but imagine if Sonic Unleashed was a launch title for the n64 and that Sonic Rush was a genesis game, but that both launched in 2006 and that this gen was n64 vs. genesis and his shitty friends.

Firestorm said:
I don't think you understand how design works. All the mistakes they made with 06 would probably have been made on Unleashed if it came first. The reason you have Unleashed is because of the mistakes made on 06.

Yeah but this is Sega, logic works bac-

Firestorm said:
Then again it's Sega who seem to think "learning from mistakes" means "learn how to do them again". Maybe Unleashed was random. It's better than 06 for sure, although still an average game at best.

Darn edits.

HUELEN10 said:
Didn't that same part that went for Secret Rings also stay away from Unleashed for Black Knight? Seriously, I do not know this.
Yes, but the thing is, that team had already been made a separate team. They were originally developing 2k6 while working on a Wii port of it, but then Sega moved them over to Secret Rings at the expense of 2k6. I don't think they did the same with with Unleashed and Black Knight.

HUELEN10

Firestorm said:

I understand how design works, I understand the change in platforms, and I understand the importance of development time. That being said, Sonic 06 had to be in some sort of work on it for at least 2 years. Based on the E3 2005 leaked footage, it seems to be this way. Average game or not, it is worlds better than 06.

Does anyone know exactly the amount of time both Sonic 06 and Unleashed took to make? This makes me all kinds of curious.
I AM JOHN! said:
Yes, but the thing is, that team had already been made a separate team. They were originally developing 2k6 while working on a Wii port of it, but then Sega moved them over to Secret Rings at the expense of 2k6. I don't think they did the same with with Unleashed and Black Knight.
I know that, but this spilt wouldn't have happened in this scenario, which brings another question. Would Secret Rings even exist? Would we have gotten the shitty Wii version of Unleashed instead?

HUELEN10 said:
Does anyone know exactly the amount of time both Sonic 06 and Unleashed took to make? This makes me all kinds of curious.
No idea about Unleashed (though I bet that a lot of time was spent making the Hedgehog Engine as opposed to the main game), but 2k6 was in development for about ten months.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
forcing Sonic team to do tons of yearly Sonic games on many platforms is killing Sonic and the poor team ( now they got the Wii's series too plus the main series ) , the Hedgehog engine is good , better than that crap used in Sonic 06 , but Unleashed wasn't that good , half of it was very bad , the other was decent .

I know Sonic games are Important for sales to SEGA and they need it every year , but can't they do it "COD" style with some other Studio and give Sonic team 2 years on one game for once ? AM2 have nothing since VF5r , let them do Sonic for this year and Sonic Team's Sonic for the next .

yeah I still believe in Sonic Team :(

HUELEN10

Totobeni said:
forcing Sonic team to do tons of yearly Sonic games on many platforms is killing Sonic and the poor team ( now they got the Wii's series too plus the main series ) , the Hedgehog engine is good , better than that crap used in Sonic 06 , but Unleashed wasn't that good , half of it was very bad , the other was decent .

I know Sonic games are Important for sales to SEGA and they need it every year , but can't they do it "COD" style with some other Studio and give Sonic team 2 years on one game for once ? AM2 have nothing since VF5r , let them do Sonic for this year and Sonic Team's Sonic for the next .

yeah I still believe in Sonic Team :(
I agree so much with most of what you said. I too still believe in Sonic Team.
I AM JOHN! said:
Wanna know a secret?

2k6 was running on a modified Shadow engine. :p
I know that. Wasn't NiGHTS Wii running on the same thing?

Sonic Team can go die in a fire for letting Samba be butchered by Gearbox and denying me of the only Wii game I want that's not a JSR game - Burning Rangers. :(
HUELEN10 said:
I know that. Wasn't NiGHTS Wii running on the same thing?
Yes, but, you know, similar console architecture and whatnot. :\

Mamesj

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
Sonic Team can go die in a fire for letting Samba be butchered by Gearbox and denying me of the only Wii game I want that's not a JSR game - Burning Rangers. :(

Yes, but, you know, similar console architecture and whatnot. :\

Burning Rangers - we gonna make it alright
Just do it! Just Burning Rangers!

Mamesj

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
I am sure it will be on XBLA one day....

I don't want it. but I would pay 1600 points for the PSO Burning Rangers stage where that dumb song plays OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND god turn it down someone might be listening

HUELEN10

alistairw said:
OP reads like bad Sonic fanfiction.
Sadly, I agree. Still out of all of gaming's what ifs, this is one of the 3 I would like answered the most.

16-bit Sonic 4 on DLC services. A Man can dream.
I AM JOHN! said:
I know. It would have to be from the ground up.

HUELEN10

I AM JOHN! said:
Which means they'll never do it. This IS Sega we're talking about, after all.
The same SEGA who knows how to outsource at times......

OH GOD......

Shitty Burning Rangers.....

It COULD happen......

FUCK

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
HUELEN10 said:
Sadly, I agree. Still out of all of gaming's what ifs, this is one of the 3 I would like answered the most.
Here, let me use my interdimensional transporter to go and find out for you:

EDIT: Apparently Sonic Team still fucked it up. Who knew!

HUELEN10

grandjedi6 said:
Here, let me use my interdimensional transporter to go and find out for you:

EDIT: Apparently Sonic Team still fucked it up. Who knew!
None of my others are SEGA based, in fact they are purely Ninty based.

Sonic 06 did happen, it was horrendous and for some reason people think every Sonic game that has come out since is Sonic 06. Unleashed is an excellent 3D sonic game, I put it right up there with the Adventure games. The way Unleashed was treated criticaly is unbelievable to me.

HUELEN10

MiamiWesker said:
Sonic 06 did happen, it was horrendous and for some reason people think every Sonic game that has come out since is Sonic 06. Unleashed is an excellent 3D sonic game, I put it right up there with the Adventure games. The way Unleashed was treated criticaly is unbelievable to me.
This is how I feel in a nutshell.

Tailzo

MiamiWesker said:
I replayed Sonic Unleashed a cuple of days ago. This time it was a couple of months since I ahd finished the game. You know what? I had a lot of fun. Wanna know why? I could select the Sonic day stages. Those are a step in the right direction, and the game would be much better, if they had cut all the werehog levels, and made one more Sonic level.

HUELEN10

Tailzo said:
I replayed Sonic Unleashed a cuple of days ago. This time it was a couple of months since I ahd finished the game. You know what? I had a lot of fun. Wanna know why? I could select the Sonic day stages. Those are a step in the right direction, and the game would be much better, if they had cut all the werehog levels, and made one more Sonic level.
You do know there is DLC right? Mostly daytime stuff too.

Tailzo

HUELEN10 said:
You do know there is DLC right? Mostly daytime stuff too.
Yeah, I saw your thread :) I understood it was re-usign previous levels? I'd like something totally new. Thanks again for the gamesave though. It was awful missing all my savefiles.

HUELEN10

Tailzo said:
Yeah, I saw your thread :) I understood it was re-usign previous levels? I'd like something totally new. Thanks again for the gamesave though. It was awful missing all my savefiles.
Oh, that was you. Now I remember. Since this is real DLC this time and not shitty unlock codes, perhaps we will see a brand-new area. A Man can dream....

A playable "Intro To Sonic Unleashed" would make many shit their pants.

Tailzo said:

It uses the background of the same levels but some of the missions are totally different, like the different missions in the main game. You know how some levels had an all 2D level with all sorts of jumps in the middle of the air and such. The mission packs adds some levels like that and a remixed hard version of the main level. Plus two werehog levels.

Sammy Killed all Sega brands, Sega should be bought by another company like MS, and bring back the devs that have left.... and have the sonic team play Sonic Adventure for DC till they know how to make a real sonic game... called Sonic Adventure 3..

sonicadventure.jpg

Top Bottom