• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DENTIST GAF: Toothache remedies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Ok so i have the worst toothache of all time (probably). It is really fucking painful. I am going to the Dentist on FRIDAY. But until then I need fucking help to GET RID OF THIS PAIN:

I have taken so many aspirin at this point that I have actually burst a blood vessel in my eye. It is no longer helping.

I broke the aspirin pill and rubbed it on the tooth. Helped for a day, no longer helps.

I took over-the-counter Ibuprofen and killed an entire bottle of it over a few weeks, no longer helps.

I asked my friend for some of his Percocets. Took a bunch of them but now he's all out.

I brush my teeth and rinse my mouth with Listerine every goddamn hour it seems like. It kills the pain initially, maybe for thirty minutes. Then it comes back.

I held a coldpack up to it but it stopped working too.

I used the numbing gel all up.

I can't get any weed until Thursday.

I would get drunk, but swigging alcohol even stopped working well and I can't get shitfaced 'cause I gotta get up early for work each day.

[EliteBeatAgents] HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!! [/EliteBeatAgents]

SUPREME1

Banned
Toothaches can, at times, be one of the worst pains known to man.

Sucks for you.

Should've walked into the dentist's office by now and waited for an opening.

Amory

Came in here to suggest getting drunk.

Considering its urgent couldn't they give you an appointment earlier in the week?

Amir0x

Banned
I really think it IS the worst pain known to man. Fuck, it is so bad. It is so bad I actually can't think when it is at its worst waves, and I can't even get through work at this point.

XCell said:
Came in here to suggest getting drunk.

Considering its urgent couldn't they give you an appointment earlier in the week?

I told them it was urgent and I haggled with them, and Friday at 12:15 was the absolutely earliest they could do it for. I am just trying to get through tonight, Wednesday and Thursday damn it :lol

Nooreo

Warm water + Salt
Rinse your mouth with that stuff like you would Listerine. I used to do that when i was younger.

aku:jiki

I have much more experience with this than any sane and employed young man should... Don't even spend money on weed in this case. Doesn't work at all.

Unfortunately, judging from your list of remedies that no longer work, I think you have the kind of toothache that really can't be helped aside from strong-ass painkillers. There's the light aches (which are not light at all; it's painful as fuck) and the unstoppable pains that I haven't found any kind of remedy for and will leave you crying on the floor.

Anyway, it might work for you to press down hard on parts of your gums. I've found that it's like acupuncture or something... If I find the right spot for that tooth, I can press down hard and the pain goes away completely. The good spot may be on the other side of the mouth, and this may be completely fucking placebo. Works for me, either way.

Also, garlic is one of those old remedies that sounds retarded but actually works. Just stuff giant pieces of garlic in there and suck on them for as long as you can and it should numb your mouth a bit. There's an actual scientific explanation that I can't be bothered to find or remember.

Edit: What the hell, this mixing stuff with water is not common house remedies I've come across in Europe... That stuff better not work awesomely or I'm gonna be pissed now that my teeth are finally fixed and I don't need it. :(

AlexMogil

Couple tablespoons of baking soda to warm water. Swish it around for a minute, spit, do it until it is gone. It can get rid of the acids that are eating at the tooth.

I just got my toothache fixed yesterday. It took a root canal and I'll need a crown in a couple of weeks. I'm surprised it's taking so long to find a slot at the dentist. I went to Dr. Terrery in Bartonsville if it helps.

White Man

Amir0x said:
I really think it IS the worst pain known to man.

When I needed a root canal last year, the pain was running all up the side of my head, and I could feel like, tingly buzzy electricy shit going on in my brain. It was the worst thing ever. And I'd still get buzzes every couple of days for a month or two after. And they kind of dazed me. That shit was the worst but it didn't keep me from driving recklessly while texting people.

If ibuprofen worked, you should try alleve. Alleve worked much better for me.

Amir0x

Banned
Ambesol is the numbing gel thing. Anyway gonna swig some salt water now :lol

striKeVillain! said:
I just got my toothache fixed yesterday. It took a root canal and I'll need a crown in a couple of weeks. I'm surprised it's taking so long to find a slot at the dentist. I went to Dr. Terrery in Bartonsville if it helps.

damn dude where do you live again? That is fucking close.

Aurora

Ice-cold water in the mouth does nothing? I had an awful toothache some months back and the only thing that would stop the pain was ice-cold water, and even then I'd have to keep replacing the water in my mouth every 30 seconds, meaning I couldn't go to sleep since I had to have the water in my mouth or the pain would be unbelievable.

Anyway, I phoned an emergency helpline and they suggested that the best painkiller was Co-codamol. Managed to get to a dentist before trying it out but seems like good shit.

Ah man i feel for ya
toothache is horrendous
it comes in waves of pain, from 'constant dull ache' to 'jaw splitting madness'

I really dont know what to recommend, maybe something cold to numb your jaw a little?

xaosslug

perhaps an old wives' tale (which I've never had the opportunity to try) but I've heard that rubbing the wedge of skin between your thumb and forefinger with an ice cube, somehow, provides relief. *shrug*

dalyr95 said:
Rub coke on it
:lol

Viewt

I actually dealt with a really horrible toothache a little over a month ago. A couple things that might help.

As far as non-prescription pain killers ago, fuck Tylenol, Aleve, etc. You want Excedrin Extra Strength Express Gels. They contain Acetaminophen, which is what you find in Tylenol Extra Strength, but they also have Asprin and Caffeine. Altogether it's about 565 mg per cap, so two of those every six hours will definitely lessen the pain, almost instantly. I've been told by multiple doctors that Excedrin is the best store-bought pain killer, period.

If you don't mind running out (and you won't if you're picking up Excedrin), get some Oragel. It'll numb the area.

Clove oil, ice cubes, hydrogen peroxide, and salt water are all home remedies that can deal with oral pain relief, but it seems like you've pretty much exhausted these options. When all else fails, get in the shower, open wide, and let the hot water in. I was once in so much pain that I couldn't even sleep - it would literally keep me up. Finally, desperate for anything, I did this. I actually almost fell asleep right then and there. It's definitely not a permanent solution, but I know from experience that when the pain gets really bad, you're willing to do anything even for temporary relief.

Hope this helps. Stay strong, man.

Mariner

Been there and it sucks :(. My dentist used to give me hydrocodone which really helped, but she eventually put a stop to that. :( :lol

After that happened, she told me to use two extra strength Tylenol + two Ibuprofen all at once, which seemed to help quite a bit. You could give that a shot.

The only other thing that helped me was distracting myself. I have a tendency to get sidetracked easily, so I played some games online with friends and didn't notice the pain as much. Heavy concentration can kill many aches! It sounds like you are in some major pain though, so not sure if this will work.

Best of luck getting some relief.

Aurora

xaosslug said:
perhaps an old wives' tale (which I've never had the opportunity to try) but I've heard that rubbing the wedge of skin between your thumb and forefinger with an ice cube, somehow, provides relief. *shrug*
It works but only for weak to mild toothaches. After a certain threshold of pain it will do absolutely nothing.

Viewt

Also, Amir0x, has there been any swelling? Even slight facial swelling might be signs of an abscess on your gums, or in other words, a gum infection. This can result from a few different things, but in my case, it was from some old dental work that hadn't been sealed up properly (there was damage to the root of my tooth that wasn't addressed, so boom, like eight years later, I find out there's been an infection brewing).

Which tooth is it that's giving you problems? If it's a tooth you can get a mirror to, check out the gum area around it. If you see a little black spot, or if the area feels coarse, there's a strong likelihood that it's an abscess. If this is the case, the area will need to be drained (which is just as uncomfortable as it sounds), and you'll probably need a root canal. To deal with the infection, they'll probably put you on something like Clindamycin.

Or it might just be a pinched nerve, or it could just be a weirdly painful, but ultimately harmless toothache. It's a shame you've got to wait until Friday to see your dentist. If you've got an abscess, those things really need to be taken care of as soon as possible - they can get really awful.

Clove oil and gargling on whiskey is what worked for me when I had the worst toothache in the history of the toothache industry. I also did warm salt water as well.

You could also try vanilla or peppermint extract. A hot tea bag supposedly helps also. Also, try Goody's headache powder if you can find it. Haven't tried any of those myself though.

Garlic didn't do shit for me, and an ice cube only made it worse.

edit: I had an abscess

Amir0x

Banned
striKeVillain! said:
I'm in Tobyhanna right now, got done with school in Philly and am looking for a job. :lol

Dunno what you went to school for, but Tobyhanna is a sparse place for jobs.

You can probably find a job at the Johnson and Johnson factory, Tobyhanna Army Depot or one of them factories in the business district. Wal-mart has a factory too, 4 days a week, 10 hours a day. 15 or so bucks.

Viewt said:
I actually dealt with a really horrible toothache a little over a month ago. A couple things that might help.

As far as non-prescription pain killers ago, fuck Tylenol, Aleve, etc. You want Excedrin Extra Strength Express Gels. They contain Acetaminophen, which is what you find in Tylenol Extra Strength, but they also have Asprin and Caffeine. Altogether it's about 565 mg per cap, so two of those every six hours will definitely lessen the pain, almost instantly. I've been told by multiple doctors that Excedrin is the best store-bought pain killer, period.

If you don't mind running out (and you won't if you're picking up Excedrin), get some Oragel. It'll numb the area.

Clove oil, ice cubes, hydrogen peroxide, and salt water are all home remedies that can deal with oral pain relief, but it seems like you've pretty much exhausted these options. When all else fails, get in the shower, open wide, and let the hot water in. I was once in so much pain that I couldn't even sleep - it would literally keep me up. Finally, desperate for anything, I did this. I actually almost fell asleep right then and there. It's definitely not a permanent solution, but I know from experience that when the pain gets really bad, you're willing to do anything even for temporary relief.

Hope this helps. Stay strong, man.

Thanks for the tips. Will be going to the store to look for Tylenol Extra Strength today.

Viewt said:
Also, Amir0x, has there been any swelling? Even slight facial swelling might be signs of an abscess on your gums, or in other words, a gum infection. This can result from a few different things, but in my case, it was from some old dental work that hadn't been sealed up properly (there was damage to the root of my tooth that wasn't addressed, so boom, like eight years later, I find out there's been an infection brewing).

I am taking some of my mothers antibiotic that the dentist gave her when she had an Abscess. But I just started so I won't know if it has any effect til later. I think it has to be something like an abscess though... when I look in the mirror at it, the tooth has something weird on it. Not black, quite, but certainly out-of-the-ordinary.

It hurts so much. Anyway, just for an update, I called one of my other friends who has like twelve percs he is willing to part with as a favor. So that could tide me over until Friday...hopefully

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Ami, is it a cavity? If it is, Clove oil is the best thing you can use. It will deaden the pain pretty convincingly. If it is deeper, try the oil on the outside/inside of your gumline where the tooth is. This will not work as well, but should help at least marginally. Good luck....

Giard

Amir0x said:
Thanks for the tips. Will be going to the store to look for Tylenol Extra Strength today.

Probably too late, but the way I'm reading it, he's saying NOT to buy Tylenol, but to buy Excedrin.

Amir0x said:
Dunno what you went to school for, but Tobyhanna is a sparse place for jobs.

You can probably find a job at the Johnson and Johnson factory, Tobyhanna Army Depot or one of them factories in the business district. Wal-mart has a factory too, 4 days a week, 10 hours a day. 15 or so bucks.
I graduated with a degree in eMarketing but I'm targeting jobs in North Jersey and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. The only reason I'm in Tobyhanna is because my parents own a house here. I'm actually going to start a Junior Financial Advisor position in Moosic this Friday if everything goes well.

As for the toothache, I tried Ambesol to no avail. The only thing I found to work was 3 Aleve in the morning, afternoon and evening. I felt serious internal pain though, especially in the evenings. I wouldn't recommend it unless you were real desperate.

Amir0x said:
Ok so i have the worst toothache of all time (probably). It is really fucking painful. I am going to the Dentist on FRIDAY. But until then I need fucking help to GET RID OF THIS PAIN:

I have taken so many aspirin at this point that I have actually burst a blood vessel in my eye. It is no longer helping.

I broke the aspirin pill and rubbed it on the tooth. Helped for a day, no longer helps.

I took over-the-counter Ibuprofen and killed an entire bottle of it over a few weeks, no longer helps.

I asked my friend for some of his Percocets. Took a bunch of them but now he's all out.

I brush my teeth and rinse my mouth with Listerine every goddamn hour it seems like. It kills the pain initially, maybe for thirty minutes. Then it comes back.

I held a coldpack up to it but it stopped working too.

I used the numbing gel all up.

I can't get any weed until Thursday.

I would get drunk, but swigging alcohol even stopped working well and I can't get shitfaced 'cause I gotta get up early for work each day.

[EliteBeatAgents] HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!! [/EliteBeatAgents]

Where the hell do you live that you can't see a dentist today?

tardisdiva

Neo Member
Honey, I'm sorry but you need to go to a professional. Tooth pain is THE WORST PAIN EVAH!
There are no at-home-quick-fixes. Get a root canal, or get it pulled. :(

Just be drunk for the next three days.

Az

I have heard some crazy remedies... a man I know swears that dipping a cigarette in sugar and lighting it up solves all tooth aches... :lol never really tried myself...

Unfortunately I'm no stranger to root canals and horrible, horrible toothaches so I completely empathize. Excedrin managed to temporarily restore my sanity last time. But nothing really works except the sweet, sweet relief of a Novocaine shot.

You're waiting so long to take care of it, though, that you might "luck out" and have the nerve die before you even get to the dentist. The pain will be gone but your tooth is still most definitely fucked.

I like to think I have a pretty high tolerance for pain (not that I plan on conducting any tests) but toothaches are really really bad.

EDIT: Is there any kind of 24-hour dental emergency place near you? This is exactly what they're for.

Vgamer

I dont know it seems to me you should look for a new dentist. To have a patient be in agony for days is not good (especially since they are probably only booked with minor fillings that could be put on hold). Maybe you should call back and ask your dentists office if they know any other dentists they can recommend for an emergency. For my dentist if there is any emergency and they are all filled up he gives you a list of other dentists he recommends.

Amir0x

Banned
Bearillusion said:
Where the hell do you live that you can't see a dentist today?

I live in the Poconos. I called them up, and I asked "WHAT IS THE EARLIEST THE APPOINTMENT CAN BE, IT FEELS LIKE A T-REX IS EATING MY FACE!?", and I haggled with them and the earliest I can go is Friday at 12:15.

I dunno if that was unusual but shit i need my teeth fixed. (This is my typical Dentist, I didn't even know there was a special '24 hr emergency dentist'. Heh)

Anyways, I loaded up on percocets that'll hold me over til Friday. I hope.

Flo

My mother recently told me that you should rinse your mouth with camille water (this stuff) or that you should put a clove on it (this thing). Old fashioned remedies that I've never tried, but I heard they actually work..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom