• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Preview Anno Dawn of Discovery/Create a new world (Wii) "Incredibly impressive"

gamingeek

dawn-of-discovery-20090508100357274-000.jpg

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/981/981015p1.html

EXTRACTS

We're not quite sure who's peddling the third-party Wii dynamo at the moment but, seriously, that guy's on fire. And here's another little gem you might want to stick on your shopping list, courtesy of Ubisoft.

This Wii version, while sharing similar themes, has been developed from the ground up specifically for Nintendo's console by Keen Games.

Ubisoft certainly hasn't scaled back the strategic core of the Anno series for the Wii audience – it's a fully-fledged real-time strategy experience and offers an incredibly satisfying amount of depth.

What's more impressive about the game though is how well it's been tailored to suit the Wii. For starters, Create a New World features a visual style that's instantly appealing and, while it mightn't be pushing a record number of polygons, it's packed with character. Erring on the stylised side, it's all pastel colours and soft edges, yet manages to pack in a surprising amount of detail. Zoom all the way in and buildings are distinct, citizens walk the streets, animals roam the wilds and wagons shift goods around town – all giving a real sense of life to your little islands.

It's practical too with well-designed menus, easily-accessible, legible information screens and an incredibly intuitive, streamlined interface. That's it and it works sublimely.

In fact, there's a touch of Nintendo about the whole product, with effortless accessibility - a perfectly-paced opening deftly introducing the games core mechanics - married to impressive production values. It's fully-voiced too, with all characters supported by some excellent, engaging casting.

It's a game that actually feels like it wants to be played and is thoroughly entertaining as a result. In all honesty, we weren't expecting too much from Create a New World but we've been incredibly impressed by the depth and quality of what we've seen so far. With plenty more to offer beyond the story mode – including two-player co-operative multiplayer – we're genuinely looking forward to seeing more of Create a New World come its European release later this month.

Watch the VIDEOS, looks suprisingly great.

http://uk.media.wii.ign.com/media/143/14325488/vids_1.html

The camera can zoom all the way in:
dawn-of-discovery-20090508100416180_640w.jpg

With this, Red Steel 2 and Rabbids Go Home..... are Ubisoft forgiven?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
gamingeek said:
With this, Red Steel 2 and Rabbids Go Home..... are Ubisoft forgiven?

They're certainly trying. I'll give them that.

This and Red Steel 2 are on my wishlist. :)

Ironically, Red Steel 1 was the last Ubisoft game I got new, xmas '06. I did buy the PC version of XIII for $5 a couple of months ago though. ;)

bartris

Neo Member
I cant wait for this game, and am optimistic for Ubis other Wii Efforts.

Anno, is one of my fave series though, and playing this on the Wii should be awesome..

Im pleased that it seems as though they have not made the game overly casual, and kept all the depth the series is known for. Hopefully this one will do well in Europe, particularly Germany where there is a huge market for this type of game.

Ranger X

BELIEVE EVERYTHING THIS ARTICLE IS SAYING.

This game is incredible and hopefully will demonstrate that PC-style strategy games are doable on console and especially on Wii, thanks to the pointer.

I'm so tired of people ditching this style and publisher never risking it.

Liberty4all

Banned
I've been waiting to see more titles like this on the Wii. The platform is practically tailor made to the genre, it's about damn time some publishers wised up to this.

Too bad I sold my Wii a couple of years ago ...

Wow, that looks awesome. Anno 1701 on the DS was excellent, I see no reason why this can't be. The way the game is laid out seems perfect for the console.

JDSN

Banned
Looks awesome, with this, TMNT and Rabbits Go Home Ubisoft is aiming to become this year's best third party.

jrricky

Banned
Im very very VERY impressed after seeing those vids. Finally I get to play a REAL real-time strategy game without installing stuff on my computer.:D

JDSN said:
Looks awesome, with this, TMNT and Rabbits Go Home Ubisoft is aiming to become this year's best third party.
You forgot Red Steel 2...

Anyways, I have a feeling third parties will deliver for Wii this fall. Please follow Nintendo.

JDSN

Banned
jrricky said:
Im very very VERY impressed after seeing those vids. Finally I get to play a REAL real-time strategy game without installing stuff on my computer.:D

You forgot Red Steel 2...

Anyways, I have a feeling third parties will deliver for Wii this fall. Please follow Nintendo.
No.

gamingeek

It was the videos that really suprised me. It's not normally my sort of game but its so user friendly. I just want to play it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
gamingeek said:
It was the videos that really suprised me. It's not normally my sort of game but its so user friendly. I just want to play it.
indeed. the game emits 'play-me' pheromones.

gamingeek

The person in the bottom right hand corner giving you instructions... girl or boy?

A friend said it looked like Ellen. :lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
This looks really awesome. It'll be nice to play something like this on the Wii. The guy in the corner of the screen looks like he's giving you the eye, though :lol

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
What the hell? Ubisoft suddenly became awesome on Wii again. I'm not used to such a paradigm shift.

When Raving Rabbids, TMNT, Red Steel 2 and this come out my ill thoughts to them might be gone - then I can happily look forward to BG&E2.

Let's not fight again Ubisoft. <3

El-Suave

I'm curious if this will sell better than the previous Anno games did in the US.

The last DS iteration was criminally overlooked by the US games press. Most non Nintendo sites didn't even review it apparently. It's surely the publisher's fault as well but it's quite telling how even big foreign games can have a hard time in the US if they're not hyped like the press is used to apparently.

I'll probably get this on Wii and DS so I can give one version to my nephew (he currently has my "Little King's Story" as well so I haven't even been able to play it). Somehow I'm getting the feeling that the game won't be different from Anno 1701 DS at all though.

AniHawk

UbiSoft's also responsible for NMH hitting stateside if you guys are into that. They've been slowly turning it around.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'd like to think that all that crap they did that ended with 'z' was used to fund all these awesome new Wii games. The ends justifying the means and all that.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
yeah, Ubi and Sega are on fire on Wii at this moment. Easily the two best third parties on the system, closely followed by EA....

I feel like I've taken fucking crazy pills or something... wtf????

boiled goose

good with gravy
Ubi with
Tenchu, RS2, Anno, Rabbids

EA with
Deadspace, grand slam, tiger, boom blox 2

Sega with
Conduit, madworld, overkill, virtua tennis

Plus random stuff like klonoa, overlord, little king story, muramasa, darkside chronicles

Are we finally seeing effort?
year of the wii indeed
and not because of nintendo... bizarro world indeed.. except for excitbotes :p

amtentori said:
Ubi with
Tenchu, RS2, Anno, Rabbids

EA with
Deadspace, grand slam, tiger, boom blox 2

Sega with
Conduit, madworld, overkill, virtua tennis

Plus random stuff like klonoa, overlord, little king story, muramasa, darkside chronicles

Are we finally seeing effort?
year of the wii indeed
and not because of nintendo... bizarro world indeed.. except for excitbotes :p

mmmm list warz

it's great news that keen nailed it. I hope this sells great. The German official forum @ ubi is empty so far :(

I'm so getting this. I'm so much more interested in this one than in the PC version this time.

boiled goose

good with gravy
just showing what ive bought and will likely buy this year(for wii).... this is something ill have to add to the list
my poor wallet :(

In all honesty the Wii line-up for the rest of the year is pretty stacked. I don't know how I'll ever justify the purchase of the PS3 I so desperately want with all of the Wii stuff coming.

Sadist

comedy bomb said:
In all honesty the Wii line-up for the rest of the year is pretty stacked. I don't know how I'll ever justify the purchase of the PS3 I so desperately want with all of the Wii stuff coming.
Well... the Wii has something something *enter argument here*.

But this game is looking good. Amazed by the effort of Ubisoft.

Sadist said:
Well... the Wii has something something *enter argument here*.

But this game is looking good. Amazed by the effort of Ubisoft.
keen games! Ubisoft is only the publisher here ;) They said do this (again) and they did it right. :)

markot

Banned
Any news about the DS version, is it coming out at the same time?

Is it going to be much different to the original DS one?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I've recently discovered the PC version of 1701 AD and its freakin incredible. Its like a mix of Sid Meirs Pirates, Age of Empires, and Sim City. Im totally hooked on it. It also looks amazing and is really polished.

markot

Banned
I wish they combined the piracy/battles in Pirates, which was great, and the... simness of Anno.

Pirates rocked when you were pirating on the sea, raiding other boats, but the rest kinda was meh...

But the battles in anno are kinda meh too.

JDSN

Banned
Man it sure is kinda refreshing to see people arguing about who is the best dev of the console and listing stuff that is actually good, a complete opposite of Winter 08.

I'm glad 3rd parties are taking advantage of the fact Nintendo is hardly releasing games on the Wii. Unfortunately, after E3 they should expect to be dominated once more after Nintendo drops some bombs

BTW this game looks really cool

Linkup

I was on Amazon to preorder this and then I saw RE DSC for $39 and preordered that instead, maybe next time ubisoft.

I'd never even heard of this series before reading this thread but the impressions and videos were enough to convince me to pre-order. It's $29 too, what's not to like here?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
After really enjoying 1701 on the DS last year I'm looking forward to seeing what Keen can do on Wii.

Peru

Ranger X said:
BELIEVE EVERYTHING THIS ARTICLE IS SAYING.

This game is incredible and hopefully will demonstrate that PC-style strategy games are doable on console and especially on Wii, thanks to the pointer.

I'm so tired of people ditching this style and publisher never risking it.

That would be incredible, because Anno 1701 demonstrated that PC-style real time strategy games were doable on the DS, and if it does the same on Wii everyone should thank them. Unfortunately no-one really copied the masterful UI of Anno DS.

Top Bottom