• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wal Mart entering the used game market through...vending machines?!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just saw this at CAG, pictures at site:

http://neocrisis.com/content/view/3918/39/

Trade Used Games at Walmart

Does it sounds so strange? Not really when you think about it, this is Wal-Mart after all. Most people are unaware at the moment, but Wal-Mart is now accepting used games to trade for credit.

Just a few hours ago, I went to the one near my house and was quite surprised at what I saw. Apparently they had a installed a new vending machine less than a day ago which allows you to trade in your used PS2, PS3, X-Box, 360 and Wii games.

The machine looks extremely similiar to the Redbox DVD rental machines. When I went to use the machine, however, it still had more than a few bugs that need fixing. The first issue occurs right after you login. When logging in, you are asked to scan your games. However once you do so, there is a glitch that logs you out immidiately entering your information. After you log back in, the issue seems to repeats itself.

An additional issue is that it seems that the machine is unable to scan games. I took a few of my games to test it out. Final Fantasy 12, Godfather 2, Mirror's Edge, Ractchet and Clank, Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando and Burnout 3: Takedown. However one game, Mirror's Edge, did indeed get scanned but i got a pop-up message which stated that game was not in its database.

In the end, all the bugs and glitches prevented me from trading in any of my games and customer service was closed at the time so I was out on my own. But still, if there is one business out there to give Gamespot some competition, it's the giant Wal-Mart. We'll be writing further on the issue about why we think Wal-Mart has the power to steal Gamestop's limelight in the used game market.

SSPX0071.jpg

SSPX0072.jpg

SSPX0073.jpg

SSPX0074.jpg

SSPX0075.jpg

SSPX0076.jpg

SSPX0077.jpg

SSPX0078.jpg

SSPX0079.jpg

SSPX0070.jpg

mjc

Can't say I'm surprised, but if anybody has a shot at making Gamestop shake in their boots its Wal-Mart.

1-D_FTW

I don't see how they could possibly prevent fraud on the discs. You could just trade in cases and dummy dvds. How would they counter that?

But if they could? Yeah, DD only for all 3 platform holders next gen. That would be the final straw that brings it.

EDIT: Missed the swipe your debit/credit card. So I guess that would be some fraud protection. But point #2 still stands.

Azure J

Woah, this is actually awesome sounding. I'm sure it's not going to be stable for a bit and your experience with the different bugs from scanning the games verify that, but I'm sure that when it is all smoothed out, this could become a very good alternative to Gamestop.

My only question for right now is how exactly do these kiosks scan the games and check their databases? Is it via a purchase bar code from Walmart (i.e. you can only trade in games bought from their stores) or is there something else to it?

Edit:

ixix said:
Why is it showing a Genesis game?

HOSHI-

1-D_FTW said:
I don't see how they could possibly prevent fraud on the discs. You could just trade in cases and dummy dvds. How would they counter that?

But if they could? Yeah, DD only for all 3 platform holders next gen. That would be the final straw that brings it.

EDIT: Missed the swipe your debit/credit card. So I guess that would be some fraud protection. But point #2 still stands.

Hmm, I was gonna say maybe you put the case and disc in separately, but I'm sure putting in your CC info is enough of a deterrent.

Oh and suck on that Gamestop, now I don't have to listen to you're overweight mouth-breathing over opinionated man-baby employees tell me Call of Duty is for noobs.

Mr. Mister said:
Hope everyone is looking forward to the DD future. Bet we will see announcements this year.

If this comes along with the rise of a game industry that stops just competing over who can push thier budgets further, lower game prices for the consumer, and direct competition between small and large game development houses, then I am all for it.

If it is what a lot of people fear it will be, then I am done gaming. Not even kidding.

Tobor

Those are the worst pictures. Holy blurry mess, Batman!

riskVSreward said:
I don't understand what any of this has to do with DD.

Publishers and Developers want DD ASAP to slow used game sales.

HappyBivouac said:
If this comes along with the rise of a game industry that stops just competing over who can push thier budgets further, lower game prices for the consumer, and direct competition between small and large game development houses, then I am all for it.

If it is what a lot of people fear it will be, then I am done gaming. Not even kidding.

DD will be great. You will never have to search multiple stores for the niche game you were looking for.

No more crappy stickers on cases. It is going to be amazing. I can't wait.

fernoca

Cat in the Hat said:
Oh and suck on that Gamestop, now I don't have to listen to you're overweight mouth-breathing over opinionated man-baby employees tell me Call of Duty is for noobs.
Yeah, just to the overweight mouth-breathing over opinionated man-babies that plague online gaming in general.

fernoca said:
Yeah, just to the overweight mouth-breathing over opinionated man-babies that plague online gaming in general.

Actually the gamestops around here are noticeably biased towards hiring females who know a thing or two about games but also know how to function in society.

I still hate the place.

Johann

DrForester said:
No more knocking over magazine racks, now when you get pissed you can knock over the whole used game store!

Whoa there gaming pal DrForester! Knocking over vending machines is both incredibly dangerous and unintentionally hilarious.

Before the wave of sympathy for massive giant publishers takes over NeoGAF, under the guise of people sticking up for developers, I think this is a pretty cool idea. Games are way too fucking expensive, if they get boring and become unwanted and completely finished with while they still have market / trade-in value, then I'm all for trade-ins.

Like others have observed, they must be relying on the debit/credit card requirement to avoid fraud.

Mr. Mister said:
Hope everyone is looking forward to the DD future. Bet we will see announcements this year.

Future? I've been a predominantly DD customer for a year now and loving it.

Just picked up COD: WAW for £15 last night when I went to bed and it was ready to play when I woke up this morning fully installed and patched to the latest version. Retail just can't compete with that sort of service and pricing.

I might pick me up some $4.50 completely DRM free old school adventure games that are configured to run on a modern 64 bit Vista PC later on as well. That'll come with unlimited downloads and stacks of bonus content thrown in for good measure. Now, please tell me why exactly I should fear this excellent pro consumer world?

Gravijah

brain_stew said:
Future? I've been a predominantly DD customer for a year now and loving it.

Just picked up COD: WAW for £15 last night when I went to bed and it was ready to play when I woke up this morning fully installed and patched to the latest version. Retail just can't compete with that sort of service and pricing.

But can you open the box and smell the manual? Well can ya? I didn't think so, so nyaaah!

Gravijah said:
But can you open the box and smell the manual? Well can ya? I didn't think so, so nyaaah!

I do love the smell of a new videogame manual. Few smells compare. The smell of new trainers or a new car maybe.

Gravijah said:

No but I've got access to a digital copy that I can use a PC to search through much quicker than I ever could with a real book and I can download that as many times as I would like as well.

Gravijah

radioheadrule83 said:
I do love the smell of a new videogame manual. Few smells compare. The smell of new trainers or a new car maybe.

Damn, now I'm literally tempted to open my copy of Shadow Hearts Covenant just so I can sniff the manual.

fernoca

brain_stew said:
No but I've got access to a digital copy that I can use a PC to search through much quicker than I ever could with a real book and I can download that as many times as I would like as well.
Ehr..I think he was joking..

fernoca said:
Ehr..I think he was joking..

No doubt, but there's plenty of crazies on GAF that still have some stupid attachment to a platic box and paper manual.

You know its strange, with Steam I almost feel a greater sense of ownership, I've lost plenty of discs and especially CD keys over the years, but with Steam that's no longer an issue. I can install any of my games on any machine no matter where I am or what I have with me, its really a great system.

-PXG-

I can think of so many ways to take advantage and scam of that machine already. :lol

Goozex, GAF and eBay all the way.

fernoca

LethaL ImpuLse said:
I imagine these machines eventually getting hacked somehow, i.e. free games
But you can't buy games from it..
The machine is basically the equivalent of Coinstar machines..you trade your games, you get a credit/coupon to use in the store...and if it's like Coinstar, it can be used only in that same store...that day only.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Neat, now I don't have to deal with pushy EB employees trying to force deals on me.

Also, it's pretty sad that I would trust walmart over EB.

Gravijah

brain_stew said:
No doubt, but there's plenty of crazies on GAF that still have some stupid attachment to a platic box and paper manual.

You know its strange, with Steam I almost feel a greater sense of ownership, I've lost plenty of discs and especially CD keys over the years, but with Steam that's no longer an issue. I can install any of my games on any machine no matter where I am or what I have with me, its really a great system.

I'll admit I personally love having physical cases and such, but I'm not the kind of person that would up and quit gaming if it ever went completely DD. I'd prefer a world of both physical media and DD, but I'm not gonna sit on forums for the rest of my life and bitch about if it doesn't come about.

Top Bottom