• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Space Website Updates + Game Impressions (US release = Spring 2010 lolsega)

duckroll

http://mugen.sega.jp/

They've updated the website substantially over the past 2 months or so. There's a board-game-like webgame up with tons of sub-scenarios, there's a demo ship builder, and various updates on the character, story, timeline, ships in the game, etc.

I'm pretty excited for the June 11th release, but I doubt anyone else will really be digging into this game anytime soon. The nature of the gameplay as a deep space fleet sim and along with the fact that it's only going to be available in Japanese in June means interest = 0.

Still, for those 10 people here who can make use of these updates, enjoy! :D

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I can't promise continued support, but I'll be there in the beginning!

I played the board game a few weeks ago, it was really loud.

CiSTM

Banned
\o/

My most wanted DS title. I am even slowly getting over the bad character desing. I really hope this game will see euro/us release.

edit: battle system looks really neat.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I really want to play it however at the moment it seems like it won't be happening, but I'll continue perusing throughout.

The battle system reminds me of air battles in Skies of Arcadia, which is good.

The game seems awesome but as long it's only available in japanese I can't pretend I'm really excited for this game. If an english version is annonced however it might be my most anticipated DS game.

Anyway I'm counting on GAF to get some info regarding this game.

Amir0x

Banned
BrainZEROX said:
The battle system reminds me of air battles in Skies of Arcadia, which is good.

God those things were so awful. Ninety percent of every battle was spent watching the fucking ships swoop around past each other, fucking overlong shit.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Considering how long Sands of (World) Destruction is taking to come out here, I'm not holding my breath for a comprehensible release any time soon.

I will happily read JGAF/import impressions, however.

Delio

I'm pretty interested. But lord knows i would get stuck so easy with all the info and things i would end up being shown.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Amir0x said:
God those things were so awful. Ninety percent of every battle was spent watching the fucking ships swoop around past each other, fucking overlong shit.

Everything in SoA was overlong shit

speedpop

Comes out today in Japan. Talked to Trin about it the other day but I said I was going to wait for the English release and he wasn't too sure if he'd grab it himself due to the copious amounts of kanji. Hopefully duck, Shouta, sprosk or Budokai will pick it up within the next week and hand out some impressions.

duckroll

I'm not sure if I'll be getting the game this week. Depends if there's a JP shipment coming in for the store I ordered the game at. I should have it by next week though. Not that I'm in a hurry, Kitten should keep me occupied for quite a while longer.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Mejilan said:
Considering how long Sands of (World) Destruction is taking to come out here, I'm not holding my breath for a comprehensible release any time soon.

I will happily read JGAF/import impressions, however.
I think Sega is just trying to avoid the holiday rush. Just like every other RPG developer has been ironically enough. Between Q1/2 of 2009 and now the upcoming 2010 lineup, the 1st half of the year seems to be the new hip time to release RPGs.

biocat

Just picked this up today but I've only gotten about as far as I did at TGS. So far, everything is about the same.

KTallguy

Banned
I am sort of semi interested in this game.
I love space, exploration, and those kinds of themes.
And the title is cool :)

Impressions are always appreciated :)

Alright well I picked it up on my lunch break today. Had a slow day at work so I got to put in about an hour and a half before my battery died.

I am enjoying it so far. The graphics aren't anything mindblowing but the designs and presentation are fantastic in my opinion. For what should be a pretty deep title it gets started with not many tutorials at all. There was basically one for the first battle and that was almost it. This might make it seem a little daunting but I think that the interface and presentation help to make things manageable. For example when placing crew in different positions it highlights what stat is most important for the position in yellow, so there is no guesswork involved. Different small details like that. It seems like the upgrades for ships are color coded(not 100% sure yet) and you just drag different tiles into empty boxes and that is it. And for replacing and changing weapons, the stats are represented on one of those old school power graphs.

Now I don't want to make it sound like it is an import friendly game, as you really would be confused quite often. However, I will give them credit for making things as easy to understand as possible. At least so far :)

So far the combat has been pretty simple and straight forward. I am hoping some more options show up later. Slightly disappointing is the fact that there really is no movement except for back and forward(so far at least) which means positioning and such doesn't play much of a part. Was hoping you could do broadside attacks and stuff like that but I guess I was hoping for too much :) I have done one boss battle and it ramped things up a tiny bit but not too much. Basically right now i have three choices outside of movement. You can do a normal attack or charge up your meter(fills up over time and certain attacks cost different amounts) and do a "all weapons barrage" type attack. The third option is evasive maneuvers. As far as I can understand this is really only useful against the strong attacks or special beams/attacks. The boss I fought had some mega laser that I needed to dodge with evasive maneuvers or take a fair amount of damage.

That is about all I have to say with the little I have played. Might get into it some more today and come back. If anyone has any questions just post them here and I will do my best to answer.

speedpop

Hooray for impressions!

As for a US/Euro release, nothing outside of an assumption of a pending US release later this year. Pretty sure Sega have mentioned it in past PR releases but I could be making shit up so take it with a pinch of salt.

Shouta

Yeah, I'm not too far into it myself but it's not to shabby but I do have a few complaints here and there. The sound is a bit low and there isn't a go back button to the text so I can reread what was being said. Combat also seems a bit simple, was expecting a bit more. It's too early to say much but I'm at least digging it some.

biocat

GhostSeed said:

This review isn't very accurate when it complained about the long drawn out battles. The author said you can skip battles scenes but you then miss seeing the damage done.

Yes, you can skip that part too, but the "firing gun" cut-scene before the guns are actually fired can be skipped separately without missing the damage. The author also said you have to press a button skip battles scenes, but all can be done by simply tapping the screen.

So far, I'm really liking the game. I just finished basically what amounts to the prologue and I'm out on my own in a much more open-ended environment. Story seems pretty cool so far and I now have two ships to command. Life as a space captain is good!

Yeah I noticed the opening movie had some low sound, but it seems alright in battles and such.

Hopefully the combat gets more complex. There are quite a few empty buttons on the battle screen and there might be some interesting additions. We will see. If there are just one or two more maneuvering options I would be in heaven.

Munin

Can someone explain what you actually *do* in this game when not in combat? I can't gather it from the screens.

eXistor

It looks great, but there's no way I'm importing. I'll wait for the US/ Euro release...if it'll ever come.

Munin said:
Can someone explain what you actually *do* in this game when not in combat? I can't gather it from the screens.

Hmm well if you have ever played a Front Mission game that is the closest thing I can think of. You use your ship to travel between planets and star systems. When you stop at places there are different things to do, talk to people at the bar, customize ship, shop, etc. And you do all this through menu based navigation for the most part. It is usually pretty simple stuff, at least so far.

The real draw seems to be the customization. My face lit up in a big smile when I got to see how many empty slots I had on the first ship I bought. I can't wait to really tinker with things.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Alright well I picked it up on my lunch break today. Had a slow day at work so I got to put in about an hour and a half before my battery died.

I am enjoying it so far. The graphics aren't anything mindblowing but the designs and presentation are fantastic in my opinion. For what should be a pretty deep title it gets started with not many tutorials at all. There was basically one for the first battle and that was almost it. This might make it seem a little daunting but I think that the interface and presentation help to make things manageable. For example when placing crew in different positions it highlights what stat is most important for the position in yellow, so there is no guesswork involved. Different small details like that. It seems like the upgrades for ships are color coded(not 100% sure yet) and you just drag different tiles into empty boxes and that is it. And for replacing and changing weapons, the stats are represented on one of those old school power graphs.

Now I don't want to make it sound like it is an import friendly game, as you really would be confused quite often. However, I will give them credit for making things as easy to understand as possible. At least so far :)

So far the combat has been pretty simple and straight forward. I am hoping some more options show up later. Slightly disappointing is the fact that there really is no movement except for back and forward(so far at least) which means positioning and such doesn't play much of a part. Was hoping you could do broadside attacks and stuff like that but I guess I was hoping for too much :) I have done one boss battle and it ramped things up a tiny bit but not too much. Basically right now i have three choices outside of movement. You can do a normal attack or charge up your meter(fills up over time and certain attacks cost different amounts) and do a "all weapons barrage" type attack. The third option is evasive maneuvers. As far as I can understand this is really only useful against the strong attacks or special beams/attacks. The boss I fought had some mega laser that I needed to dodge with evasive maneuvers or take a fair amount of damage.

That is about all I have to say with the little I have played. Might get into it some more today and come back. If anyone has any questions just post them here and I will do my best to answer.
Sounds sooo good :D The sound volume is extremely low, is it true?

duckroll

I finally got the game today. Played an hour. I think it really rocks, but..... GAME OVER! lolz. I must remind myself that using an entry level destroyer ship to attempt to beat a boss by moving right next to it and waiting to shoot is a terrible strategy. :lol

Yagharek

Im extremely interested in this one based on the grounding in hard sci fi (Arthur C Clarke's work was an influence, yes?).

Fingers crossed that it gets an english translation.

duckroll

RandomVince said:
Im extremely interested in this one based on the grounding in hard sci fi (Arthur C Clarke's work was an influence, yes?).

Fingers crossed that it gets an english translation.

I dunno if its so much "hard sci fi" as it is "serious sci fi" honestly. There's a big difference between the two. This is a space opera sort of scenario, much like Captain Harlock, Star Trek, Star Control, the Ender's Game series, etc. It's not particularly grounded in hard science at all, but instead it's a huge galaxy with TONS of background story/timeline/history/etc, set in the far FAR future.

Yagharek

duckroll said:
I dunno if its so much "hard sci fi" as it is "serious sci fi" honestly. There's a big difference between the two. This is a space opera sort of scenario, much like Captain Harlock, Star Trek, Star Control, the Ender's Game series, etc. It's not particularly grounded in hard science at all, but instead it's a huge galaxy with TONS of background story/timeline/history/etc, set in the far FAR future.

Fair point, I mix and match my terms on occasion. I guess if its in the same vein as an Asimov/Clarke tale then it is worth a good look at.

duckroll

RandomVince said:
Fair point, I mix and match my terms on occasion. I guess if its in the same vein as an Asimov/Clarke tale then it is worth a good look at.

But that's my point, it's nothing like Asimov or Clarke. It's not some deep study into science fiction possibilities or anything. It's no very different from Mass Effect in terms of storytelling honestly. It's basically about a boy who wants to leave his planet to travel the stars like his father who was an adventurer, and he discovers the universe is larger than he could ever imagine, and meets people and encounters things which all help to make him grow into a formidable fleet captain who will leave his mark in history and change the course of the universe through his actions.

duckroll

Okay, I'm in Chapter 3 now after putting in about 5 hours into the game. I understand the game a lot more now so I can give proper impressions. Not sure if anyone really cares judging from the responses (or lack thereof) in the thread so far but I'll give it a shot anyway.

I can say for sure that anyone expecting a "RPG" from this game will be disappointed and I honestly hope Sega will promote it as something else when it is released in the US. Adventure or Simulation would definitely be more fitting. That said, it's a really good game!

It's best to think of the game as a visual novel adventure for all the story sequences (which means sometimes there is an event still, and most of the time you're looking at the portrait of a character talking with a background still in the background, and sometimes you'll get to pick decisions) while the rest of the game is a space simulation.

You need design plans before you can build a ship or install a module, and you find these plans either through the story, a sidequest, or buying them from planets which have industrial offices that sell plans. You can only build/customize your ships on planets which have a orbital factories, so you can't do it on every planet.

You recruit crew members through the storyline as well as through sidequests and optional events. They are all named characters and have their own personalities and substories. Think of it as Suikoden, but in space. Characters have stats and stuff which will help you determine where to best place them on your fleet. There's a huge amount of roles you can assign characters to in the game, but it's not really overly complicated - but rather something that gives you the feel that everyone can have a responsibility on the crew. As long as a character is equipped as a crew member, they will gain exp in battles and level up. I like to think of the ships as the characters (in a normal RPG), and the crew members and modules as accessories/equipment you equip.

Battles are rather simple but effective, and simple doesn't mean they're easy either, just that you don't have a gazillion options to play around with and tactics can be obvious but timing is still important. You have an ATB bar that builds up and it has 3 levels: Green, Yellow, Red. There is also a side-view panel showing the distance between your fleet and the enemy fleet, as well as your attacking range. You can set your fleet to either be moving forward, backward or standing still at any time during the battle it doesn't cost anything.

When the ATB's green bar fills up, you can empty it to put your fleet on evasive mode, this will last until you make your next command. When in evasive mode, if the enemy uses "Fire all cannons" on any of your ships, you'll evade it, but it doesn't do jack shit for regular attacks. When your bar turns yellow, you'll be able to do a regular attack which fires a single volley of all weapons. If you let your bar turn red, you can drain it all for a "Fire all cannons" attack which fires 3 volleys of all your weapons. But remember, while this is effective, it can also be evaded by the enemy if they are able to.

There are other options which open up in battle later on in terms of special commands characters can make (think Valkyria's Orders) or you can even do boarding attacks which are rock-paper-scissors-ish. Mostly the battles create a very good feel of simulating space battles, without making them too complicated. It could be more complex and more strategic, but I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with how they are in the game. Especially since there are random encounters when you travel between worlds, making it simple might actually be better in the long run.

Outside of customization and battles, the gameplay also revolves around the star map. The star maps are basically like a menu driven World Map system, except while travelling between planets you can get into random encounters. The game has no "dungeons" or anything to speak of, instead each chapter in the game involves your fleet getting involved in some incident in the star system you're in, and you travel from world to world talking to people and you'll get missions to travel to different places to get information and/or find something/someone. Aside from random battles there are also story battles, etc.

As the story grows, you begin to encounter more people and learn more and more about the large and detailed worldview crafted for the game. It's a lot like Mass Effect in that sense, where it's an epic space opera adventure, and you get more and more involved and the history and scope of the universe grows larger. The difference here is, since you're the captain of a spaceship, as your crew grows larger and your fleet of ships grow in both size of fleet and size of the actual ships, you definitely get a good sense of being more involved in the events of the universe and growing in both fame and responsiblity.

Basically, everyone who loves space stuff should DEFINITELY check out this game when it's out in English. :D

soldat7

duckroll said:
As the story grows, you begin to encounter more people and learn more and more about the large and detailed worldview crafted for the game. It's a lot like Mass Effect in that sense, where it's an epic space opera adventure, and you get more and more involved and the history and scope of the universe grows larger. The difference here is, since you're the captain of a spaceship, as your crew grows larger and your fleet of ships grow in both size of fleet and size of the actual ships, you definitely get a good sense of being more involved in the events of the universe and growing in both fame and responsiblity.

Basically, everyone who loves space stuff should DEFINITELY check out this game when it's out in English. :D

Wow, sounds excellent. I just hope it's not too 'anime' for my tastes.

Top Bottom