• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

id tech 6 preview

id showed a short technology demo of the new idtech 6 to german magazine gamestar. id is experimenting with Voxel/Raytracing graphics:

800x6001_prop.jpg

800x6002_prop.jpg

800x6003_prop.jpg

800x6005_prop.jpg

800x6006_prop.jpg

800x6006_prop.jpg

800x6007_prop.jpg

short video of the technology demo running at 60 fps on a Geforce GTX 280 on page 3
german: http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/specials/1956284/neue_id_software_engine_mit_voxel_grafik.html

auto translation: http://de.babelfish.yahoo.com/trans...oxel_grafik.html&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=Übersetzen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpEpAFGplnI

yees. let's go voxels. need voxel'ed damage aswell. get some voxel brain splatter and bits of skull going :O

idtech6 sof4 please. where is rick johnson

bounchfx

Hey look!

it's Imrod :)

zoukka said:
A good example that nothing can save an ugly design :lol

I kinda kid

and if you mean ugly design as in the character, then um.. you're quite wrong.
http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/archives/index.php

bdouble

Truant said:
Didn't Carmack say that software rendering will be the new way to do things in the future?

Yeah basically we are going back to the days before a dedicated GPU was put into the PC. Now GPU's and CPU's are becoming more and more alike so its not a matter of what hardware. Just tons of computing power and a multi core processor.

\/\/ Yeah things like Larrabee and Cell are closing that gap between the CPU and GPU. Its the next gen Larrabee that will take away the need for having both though.

Apenheul

This was shown by iD Software on Siggraph, pretty interesting but more of an R&D project than their 'next big game engine' for now afaik.

Zaptruder

Banned
This is just going to make asset creation even more ridiculously complex.

Now they have to create muscle, bones, guts and blood vessels as well?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
dejan said:
Are you serious?
mhmhm that model doesnt have any diffuse texture... so im gonna say he is serious

Operations said:
So are circles finally going to be circles?
:lol
We dont like that kind of shape here...

bdouble

Apenheul said:
This was shown by iD Software on Siggraph, pretty interesting but more of an R&D project than their 'next big game engine' for now afaik.

Well yeah but they are founded and lead by a guy that is looking ahead and like to play with new things. They can see where the industry is going and once the hardware can process ray tracing or voxels to a point that they are equal to or better than the rendering used now Id will be there.

sprocket said:
well actually they are using a normal map. even if they are voxels being shown they are still using a nornal map for the position of the pixels.
the article says they dont need normal / bumpmaps anymore

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
sprocket said:
well actually they are using a normal map. even if they are voxels being shown they are still using a nornal map for the position of the pixels.
Pertty much sure he meant that it hasnt a diffuse texture.
Anyway Carmack is incredible, after so many years he keeps working on GFX techniques.

sprocket

Banned
maniac-kun said:
the article says they dont need normal / bumpmaps anymore

thats BS. you still need a way to map the pixels. even if its just data its the same amount of data a normal map has because you would have the same amount of pixel positions and doing it programmaticly would be huge pain in the ass.

Im calling BS on this whole article! :D

Eccocid

Does it always have to be an ugly fat mutated guy to show off new tech!
What a way to show a new tech!
Hurray ID tech!
I am drunk!

panda21

isn't this old?

i thought it was a raytracing demo or something, not necessarily voxels, although i dont remember

i dont see the point since voxels would be a bitch to animate and theres not much other benefit that you couldnt fake better with polygons.

filopilo

It's actually Jon Olick demo ,if you want to give back to Caesar...
Tim Sweeney did the talk about the return of software rasterization.

BTW , a lot of people ,not only Carmack or ID are curently doing researches on voxels (Sparse voxel octrees)

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
I'm the only one who doesn't understand why the video on that page was impressive?

It's a high detail model, I understand this, however the difference is, it's in voxels. But why am I supposed to be impressed by it, though?

Someone can explain?

Eccocid

Kobold said:
I'm the only one who doesn't understand why the video on that page was impressive?

It's a high detail model, I understand this, however the difference is, it's in voxels. But why am I supposed to be impressed by it, though?

Someone can explain?

i guesssss voxels demand less cpu and gpu for rendering...i am not sure..
but its stupid..with growing rams on video cards u can pull off everything..its the most stupid market on the world.

filopilo

It's mega texture applied to geometry: Infinite detail .

The model can be any complexity ,the engine will only handle the necessary pixels ,literally streaming detail as needed.
And it's also a new rendering method not involving polygons, but some kind of 3d pixels.

sprocket

Banned
Kobold said:

Someone can explain?

Because graphics sell more than gameplay.

But really all it doesnt is add a little more depth to the models than what parallax mapping can do. if you view a parallax map from the side its goes flat. voxels will not.

Eccocid said:
i guesssss voxels demand less cpu and gpu for rendering...i am not sure..
but its stupid..with growing rams on video cards u can pull off everything..its the most stupid market on the world.
what they try to achieve is nearly infinit detail/complexity of 3d models and 3d worlds kinda like id tech 5 does for textures and thats why this is interesting.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
fps fanatic said:
:lol :lol First post! I'm still waiting for Rage. Cool to see id's thinking ahead though. Way ahead...

seriously... as much as I love seeing what the future will bring, WHERE ARE THE GODDAMN TECH 5 GAMES

panda21

its not infinite at all, its just pixels but in 3d. its still limited by the resolution you choose to use. its probably easier to scale LOD than polgyons (although i'm not sure since there are perfectly good procedural LOD polygon methods as well).

also voxels are not exactly new :lol

Eccocid

that sounds good but are we gonna see that tech in games?
So far with games like Crysis i think they should stop graphics development for a while and work on gameplay or other areas where they can create their art assets(like character designs and stuff) more easily in 3d..

The more complex it gets the more time it takes to make a game...

I studied animation and i hate it now thanks to all those 3d softwares...They demand a lot of techical knowledge and time to turn an idea in an image its like a hell for me.

For me they are totlly doing it wrong..I think a better way is to focus on user friendliness for making those tools more accessible.

I am sure with enough money and dedicated talented team they can pull out some uber engine with zillion polygons per second. But the way it becomes more technical than artistic makes me craaazy(ok not crazy but i couldnt find the right word)

Top Bottom