• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gyakuten Kenji early impressions

mutsu

I am surprised that after I did a search that no one has yet posted any thread on their impressions, so I thought I would create one.

So I got the game on Tuesday and started playing it full-on on Wednesday. I am now up to the 3rd story (just started last night).

So far, I like it. To me, the new way of walking around the maps Monkey Island style is definitely a step forward for the franchise, as it speeds up the pace of the game much more as you no longer need to choose from a commands based menu. It also allows you to see multiple characters at a time at a scene and see how they react to different things happening on the scene.

Music and sound effects are good, as usual. Everything you would expect from a Gyakuten Saiban / Ace Attorney game can be found here. No lack of Over-the-Top sound effects etc.

If you want to know any particulars, feel free to ask.

Volcynika

My brother wanted to import this, but he heard that it doesn't have English in it like some of the previous Ace Attorney games in Japan. Is that still true? (I haven't kept up on it)

Volcynika said:
My brother wanted to import this, but he heard that it doesn't have English in it like some of the previous Ace Attorney games in Japan. Is that still true? (I haven't kept up on it)

Yup, no english

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
How is the music compared to the previous games, all the Ace Attorney games have been ace (pun intended) when it comes to musical scores.

Also is the pacing of the game more like the investigation parts (a little slow) or the courtroom sequences (intense)?

Ramenman

I was thinking about doing "The Gyakuten Kenji thread of hating people who understand japanese" yesterday, but sadly I wasn't as bored as I thought I would.

Costanza said:
How is the story? As good as AA3?

Oh crap, it begins.

Ramenman

Hcoregamer00 said:
?

I don't see anything wrong with that question, some people don't love Ace Attorney 4 as much as I did.

The fact that you directly understood I was refering to AA4 without me even mentionning it in my post says a lot :p

A huge part of why AA3 was so awesome is because it was the conclusion of everything.

The beginning of a new series (like with Apollo or Kenji) can't be expected to top it in that regard.

But I don't want to derail this thread into another "is AA4 worth it" thread, and I totally respect the opinion of people who didn't like.

Haunted

So far, I like it. To me, the new way of walking around the maps Monkey Island style is definitely a step forward for the franchise, as it speeds up the pace of the game much more as you no longer need to choose from a commands based menu
yay!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
mutsu said:
So far, I like it. To me, the new way of walking around the maps Monkey Island style is definitely a step forward for the franchise, as it speeds up the pace of the game much more as you no longer need to choose from a commands based menu.
Can you double click the border of an already visited screen to reach the next one faster or any sort of similar navigation solution?

I mean, if you want to go from A to E, you always have to normally walk throught B, C and D? A feature that speeds up the backtracking is always good in adventure games so I was wondering.

Can we still play with buttons? Depending on where I play, there are times where using the touch screen is a chore (like when I'm in bed).

Masked Man

I said wow
I'm excited to hear more! I almost imported it as a fun way to further my language studies, but I opted against it--for now. Maybe I'll pick it up anyway...

Either way, keep us posted! :D

GhaleonQ

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
When in the timeline does this game take place?

Between 2 and 3 is what previews said, but the later cases could change that.

Also, the soundtrack's STILL not dated? I'm also kind of hoping that Japan tries a old-western-style adventure game one of these days. I wouldn't mind an inventory puzzle these days.

Nocebo

Volcynika said:
I think the previous Ace Attorney games only had multilanguage in japan because they were basically rereleases of the GBA games? Or even a best price rerelease of the DS games. something like that.

Nemesis_

Could you perhaps go over the general structure of the game?

IE. The original games had an investigation followed by a court case. Naturally, the investigations were interesting and stuff but the court cases were sometimes much more exciting.

How does Kenji work? Is there still some intense OMFG moments of excitement like the original games?
I think the previous Ace Attorney games only had multilanguage in japan because they were basically rereleases of the GBA games? Or even a best price rerelease of the DS games. something like that.
Apollo had a translation too, and that was brand new. I think the translations were made for the Asian market, as the localised versions (US/PAL) all had much better translations as well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fairly certain Apollo didn't have an English option, actually.

GCX

Nemesis556 said:
Apollo had a translation too, and that was brand new. I think the translations were made for the Asian market, as the localised versions (US/PAL) all had much better translations as well.
Iirc Apollo's Japanese version did NOT have any kind of English translation.

Masked Man

I said wow
Nemesis556 said:

But...

Rez said:
I'm fairly certain Apollo didn't have an English option, actually.
GCX said:
Iirc Apollo's Japanese version did NOT have any kind of English translation.

bubble-(ani)takethat.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
:lol

Thanks for the impressions - sounds good. Very much looking forward to this - hopefully we'll get some news on a western release date at E3 (assuming we don't know it already and I missed it).

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Nemesis556 said:

The only ones that had translations were the ones that were remakes of the GBA games. The translations on the Japanese releases were almost entirely identical except MAYBE a few typo fixups here and there.

mutsu

Wow, so many questions. I am glad this game is getting so much attention from lots of people :)

Costanza said:
How is the story? As good as AA3?

Hm.... so far I have only played 2 full stories, and it's holding up. The first case, just like any other game in the series, is really easy and stuff. The second story is pretty good also.

I played AA3 a few years back now (GS3 I should say), so I can't really remember how awesome it was (though I know it was awesome). I will have to comment on the story when I finish the entire game, as the better ones are usually the later ones in the game.

Hcoregamer00 said:
How is the music compared to the previous games, all the Ace Attorney games have been ace (pun intended) when it comes to musical scores.

Also is the pacing of the game more like the investigation parts (a little slow) or the courtroom sequences (intense)?

Music is good. Think Miles Edgeworth type theme music all throughout the game. I like it.

Hm... The investigation parts of this game is actually now much more pacy, thanks to the before-mentioned Monkey Island style moving around.

I would say the pace of this game is so far more like the courtroom sequences, but the sequences are shorter and more sporadic.

For example, the first case of AA games are usually Investigation -> Courtroom. The first case in this game is more like Investigation -> Courtroom -> Investigation -> Courtroom -> Investigation -> Courtroom, but mini versions of each.

Fuu said:
Can you double click the border of an already visited screen to reach the next one faster or any sort of similar navigation solution?

I mean, if you want to go from A to E, you always have to normally walk throught B, C and D? A feature that speeds up the backtracking is always good in adventure games so I was wondering.

So far from the two stories that I played, it does not require you to move back A -> B -> C -> D -> E at all, so I haven't tried double clicking. So far, there's not a lot of running around you have to do. It kind of restricts you to finish all your investigation on a particular screen first before moving on to the next (at least so far it's like that). I think it will continue to be like this, though I will have to finish the game first of course to be certain.

Also, you can run, so I don't think traveling between screens will be much of a problem.

RockmanWhore said:
Can we still play with buttons? Depending on where I play, there are times where using the touch screen is a chore (like when I'm in bed).

Yes, I am playing solely with buttons. I just don't buy into moving Monkey Island style with the stylus, since the action is actually taking place on the top screen.

-x.Red.x- said:
how long are the cases?

Hm... expect around the same as AA cases.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
When in the timeline does this game take place?

I think someone answered this already. So far it's very difficult to tell because I haven't seen a lot of familiar faces yet.

Nemesis556 said:
Could you perhaps go over the general structure of the game?

IE. The original games had an investigation followed by a court case. Naturally, the investigations were interesting and stuff but the court cases were sometimes much more exciting.

How does Kenji work? Is there still some intense OMFG moments of excitement like the original games?

It goes like this. Investigation -> Reasoning -> Investigation -> Reasoning -> etc. Investigation is much like AA, but there's something new called "Logic" that you will have to solve (it's not that hard). Reasoning is much like "Courtroom" action, but happens at the scene of crime. Usually it's someone else doing the reasoning, and Miles is there to rebuke them based on evidence gathered.

Yes, intense moments of "Oh that was what actually happened!" is still there just like the original AA games. The game is really a lot like AA, just that you are now looking for the truth to find the murderer rather than looking for the truth to depend your client.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Sounds brilliant, many thanks for your impressions!

I need to start AA4 before this comes out in America.

Fuu

Thanks for all the info, mutsu, really appreciated. This sounds like a pretty good time.

Hive

Banned
Famitsu loved it, for what it's worth~

and so does the rest of Japan. hehe
[NDS] Gyakuten Kenji (Capcom) - SE 118,000 (50%) / PE 1,500 (20%)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hive said:
Famitsu loved it, for what it's worth~

and so does the rest of Japan. hehe
[NDS] Gyakuten Kenji (Capcom) - SE 118,000 (50%) / PE 1,500 (20%)

Yay!!! :D

Here is hoping they sell out of that bad boy before the week is done.

mutsu said:
Yes, I am playing solely with buttons. I just don't buy into moving Monkey Island style with the stylus, since the action is actually taking place on the top screen.

What? I thought it was a point & click, now I don't understand how it works at all :lol It's nice that you can play with buttons though.

Fuu

RockmanWhore said:
What? I thought it was a point & click, now I don't understand how it works at all :lol It's nice that you can play with buttons though.
You can probably move Edge with both the d-pad and by clicking with the stylus where you want him to go.

Firestorm

mutsu said:
It goes like this. Investigation -> Reasoning -> Investigation -> Reasoning -> etc. Investigation is much like AA, but there's something new called "Logic" that you will have to solve (it's not that hard). Reasoning is much like "Courtroom" action, but happens at the scene of crime. Usually it's someone else doing the reasoning, and Miles is there to rebuke them based on evidence gathered.

Yes, intense moments of "Oh that was what actually happened!" is still there just like the original AA games. The game is really a lot like AA, just that you are now looking for the truth to find the murderer rather than looking for the truth to depend your client.
Went from Day 1 to Day 1 call EB every day to see if my pre-order is in.

Osuwari

good to hear the game is good.

i wonder how long it will take to see it in english.. i'll probably replay AA 1-4 when it gets near release.

Ashour

I really can't wait for the English release and I really hope Capcom releases that SE outside of Japan.

Thanks for the Impression

cvxfreak

I can't wait for it to come out in English (my Japanese isn't good enough to appreciate the game's jokes and cultural references).

Top Bottom