• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fat Princess |OT| Misogynistic Cake

29vxjrd.png

34qv0yh.png

mhe2p.png
CURRENTLY: 79%

• THE ONLINE MEET-UP THREAD

• TROPHY LIST | 21 bronze trophies

• RELEASE DATE: July 30th Worldwide | except for Japan

• PRICE: $14.99 | £11.99 | €14.99 | ¥?

• FEATURES:

2d7zex5.png
Game Modes – Ten-chapter single-player campaign | Rescue the Princess, Snatch 'n Grab, Team Deathmatch and Invasion multiplayer gametypes
rlfb03.png
5 Character Classes – Change between Worker, Warrior, Ranger, Mage and Priest simply by picking up a new hat.
rlfb03.png
Stages – Eight maps, plus two special arena-style single-player levels.
rlfb03.png
Online Multiplayer – Up to 32 player battles with in-game voice chat.
rlfb03.png
Customizable Avatars – Create your own personal avatar before you charge into battle. Unlock new customization options during gameplay.

• DESCRIPTION:

Fat Princess pits two hordes of players against each other in a comic medieval battle royale. Your goal is to rescue your beloved princess from the enemy
dungeon. There’s a catch though: your adversary has been stuffing her with cake to fatten her up and it’s going to take most of your army working together
to carry her back across the battlefield.

You can switch between five different character classes literally at the drop of a hat. The name of the game is cooperation, whether it’s flinging another player
over the enemy’s walls with a teeterboard, healing him while he charges into battle, or adding your muscle to carry the princess faster.​

sq02sz.png

332z1io.png

• BASIC SKILL: The Warrior uses a sword and shield. He can block arrow attacks, but will move slower and can not attack.
• ADVANCED SKILL: Wields a large blade that can be used in a charged attack.​

5167g3.png

• BASIC SKILL: The Worker is able to use his axe to gather resources, and then return to either hat machine or outpost. He can also repair, build or upgrade
objects on the battlefield.
• ADVANCED SKILL: Uses bombs in order to deal more damage to enemy players or structures.​

24awqhu.png

• BASIC SKILL: The Mage can deal fire balls.
• ADVANCED SKILL: Becomes an ice wizard, and has the ability to freeze enemies for a small period of time.​

2w380ab.png

• BASIC SKILL: The Priest can heal fellow teammates.
• ADVANCED SKILL: Becomes a Dark Priest, and can drain health from enemy players to 1 HP.​

67o9eb.png

• BASIC SKILL: The Ranger uses a bow and arrow.
• ADVANCED SKILL: Uses a gunpowder rifle, and can charge up to shoot more pellets at once.​

q3dg.png

• SCREENSHOTS:​

mmfkeg.jpg

1582kg.jpg

m8gvps.jpg

2ujsiv5.jpg

261lro8.jpg

i3aoh1.png

rlfb03.png
REVIEWS:

• Ars Technica
• Cheat Code Central | 4.3/5
• Eurogamer | 6/10
• IGN | 9.0/10

2d7zex5.png
GAF IMPRESSIONS:

chubigans said:
So here's the deal with this game. Playing the first night left a sour taste in my mouth...it seemed a bit shallow, way too much mayhem, no strategy, etc. But last night was a blast. It really comes down to two things:

Playing without strategy/teamwork- not fun at all.

There is not a single class that works on it's own to storm the castle by yourself/catapult into the base and steal the princess. It's total mayhem on the battlefield, and lots of deaths are certain. This wasn't fun for me at all, and the gameplay seemed very shallow.

Playing with some people who use teamwork- like an entirely different game

So the next day I decided to give it a try, with more random people. This time both teams were using strategy, and holy crap what a different experience it was.

First off, once the game starts the opposing team would get control of the Ore fields and not let go. This was a huge boost to their level-ups and was a smart strategy. So we mined a single ore outside their zone and leveled up the Worker for the bombs. Then we all grabbed a bomb and blasted the ore zone to take control...but at that point they had already mined the field, and had upgraded several of their classes. Uhoh.

At this point we all grabbed as much cake as possible to prepare for an attack and fed that princess until she was huge. It wasn't long until there was a huge surge into the castle...they broke down the doors easily and got the princess, but she was too large for them to go very far. We managed to keep them at bay as we upgraded our classes and got the catapult ready. At that point two of us were workers and built ladders into the castle as we kept sending wave after wave of people into their castle to pummel their defenses. They didn't fatten the princess up like we did, resulting in an easy capture and winning the game.

The good news is that there were quite a few headsets going on, and none of those people were on my friends list...we were just all using teamwork. When Fat Princess works, it's one of my favorite online games ever. But if you don't experience teamwork...it's not that fun a game, and can seem quite shallow.
lawblob said:
After playing quite a few matches, am I crazy for thinking this game is a complete mess?

At no point in any of the games I played did I feel like anything I ever did was having any real or meaningful impact on the tide of the game. You run around aimlessly killing opponents, but the individual battles all turn into little clusterfucks of chaos. Because you always re-spawn inside your own castle, even if you do breach the opponents castle and grab the Princess, it quickly turns into a fucking mess as 10 or more players are hacking wildly in the same room until everyone just dies, and the attackers go back to their own base to re-spawn. I really want to like this game, but honestly im' bored to tears with it after just a few hours. Meh...
decon said:
Played the game for about an hour last night. Got it free from a buddy of mine. Didn't have many expections before playing. So I start up the game and the first thing you see is the awesome menu. This game just has humor spelled all over it. The graphical style is up there with AAA titles. Each class is fun to play, even the worker class is fun to play. Online system works fine for me, and there seems to be a proper invite/friend system in place. I love the fastpaced "arcady" gameplay. It's so easy to get into yet there seems to be much depth when it comes to strats, class choice etc. I only played a 8-player match. First I thought it was the max and I actually didn't mind. It was great fun wiht only 8-players, can't wait to play with more people tonight! It's TF2 of downloadable games!
KilgoreTrout said:
I wish there was a server list to make it easier on me, and Drame. While there are issues with it, I've already put 12 hours into online alone, and it's only been 3 days since launch.

Playing with people who communicate, and know what they're doing is a sheer joy.

Playing otherwise can often be dull, because co-operative play is the most important gameplay mechanic in FP. It's essentially like playing Left 4 Dead with computers.

About 8 ice mages can ruin any fun to be had in a game.
A lot of people said:
Laaaaaaaggggggggggg
Drame said:
Fat Princess is awesome, nuff said.
eznark said:
This game is so God damned fun.

If you guys want anything added to the OP, just let me know.

Mrbob

Wait...this is out in a week?

Why are the Euro dates so far apart?

I hope it is out this coming thurs, can't wait to play it!

icechai

so many good games to play for ps3 these days. gj on the thread, how are you going to have time with Uncharted Beta still going on? :p

Mrbob said:
Wait...this is out in a week?

Why are the Euro dates so far apart?

I hope it is out this coming thurs, can't wait to play it!

It is out by the end of the month. So next Thursday, or the Thursday afterwards.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Great job on the OP. This is one of the most team focused game I've played on any console so I hope that it gets a decent community after launch.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So excited for this. Nice summer time killer. Mmm.

Now give us a DATE DAMNIT RAWR.

Master Z

SnakeXs said:
Now give us a DATE DAMNIT RAWR.

I could have sworn I heard somewhere that it comes out late June...so that was only for EU? OP are you sure? Don't tell me SCEA is fucking up again.... :(

Firewire

Banned
icechai said:
so many good games to play for ps3 these days. gj on the thread, how are you going to have time with Uncharted Beta still going on? :p
K2 DLC
Uncharted 2 beta
inFamous
Wipeout HD DLC
Fat Princess

fucking awesome summer!

Master Z said:
I could have sworn I heard somewhere that it comes out late June...so that was only for EU? OP are you sure? Don't tell me SCEA is fucking up again.... :(

It was confirmed on the Euro PS3 blog.

No confirmation from SCEA.

icechai said:

I got this thread done before the beta. I haven't even really played the beta in 5 days. I've been too busy with work.

SapientWolf said:
Great job on the OP. This is one of the most team focused game I've played on any console so I hope that it gets a decent community after launch.
Thanks!

DuckRacer

I hope they fix a ton of crap from the beta. Having hit detection issues trying to chop down a tree with only 3 players in an online match is ridiculously dumb.

I hope they price this right and do a demo. The game needs as many sales as possible, especially when you consider the type of game it is.

Edit: I'd say next Thursday is extremely likely as a release date if the Sony New Zealand and Japan release schedules are anything to go by.

A suggestion to the OP: Can you add some PSN id's of people who will definitely be playing it for, lets say, a month after release? I'm not a big Multiplayer gamer, but this looks like it will be all kinds of ownage in team play, and I dont have many friends. :-(

My PSN is: iamcool388.

If anyone else is a horrible online player, please add me so we can be crap at this game together. :lol

iamcool388 said:
A suggestion to the OP: Can you add some PSN id's of people who will definitely be playing it for, lets say, a month after release? I'm not a big Multiplayer gamer, but this looks like it will be all kinds of ownage in team play, and I dont have many friends. :-(

If anyone else is a horrible online player, please add me so we can be crap at this game together. :lol

Bad idea :p

Better to be created in "Online" section ;)

iamcool388 said:

I'll create a meet-up thread in the online forum.

Master Z

KilgoreTrout said:
It was confirmed on the Euro PS3 blog.

No confirmation from SCEA.
:( Great thread BTW, even though it reminded me I can't play it this month. :p

Chromax said:
NA better be getting this June...
Or I'm going to have to choke a bitch...I've been craving this game badly for over a year now, step your game up SCEA! :(

Haha sorry... I thought we could handle it like the Uncharted 2 beta thread... yeah i'll check out the online section.

But seriously... if you are a bad online gamer, I want your PSN. :lol :lol

Straight up, I dont want to be owned every fucking game.

Meier

I found the beta pretty boring frankly. I guess I can see the appeal, but it did nothing for me. Felt very, very repetitive for most of the match. Almost like a salmon swimming upstream.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Been watching this one for awhile now, some friends and I can't wait to play this. I need to finish inFamous first though! :lol

The beta was really quite broken and not fun. Gonna take a veritable tide of positive impressions after the game launches to convince me, as right now I have no intention of picking it up at all.

I don't really have faith theyve fixed everyything in a scant month or 2, especially things like the awful AI for single player.

-Winnie-

The game itself is really fun, but during the beta, game-breaking lag was quite common. I really hope they fixed up the netcode, since the game has a lot of potential.

Wollan

I had a lot of fun with the original Beta.

It sounds like some people didn't download the second version of the Beta which was even better (totally different build in many ways). It was improved in practically all aspects including graphics. It's a very polished game. Day one.

Top Bottom