• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Skip Bayless employed by ESPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
The same reason that Glenn Beck is employed by FOX.

Silly people make excellent foils for the audience. Plus he's at least more entertaining than the rest of Cold Pizza/whatever its called now.

mernst23

I personally think he's great. He knows a lot about sports and is actually entertaining. Not afraid to call an upset, and realizes professional sports are about more than stats when making his arguments.

Chamber said:
Everyone on ESPN is a dumbass. I see no need to single out Bayless.

Then you are not watching enough. Nobody says more unsourced stupid wrong shit on a regular basis as this dude. Literally they might as well have Perez Hilton on there drawing pictures on sports photos. That would be better and more journalistic than what this dude is doing.

DMczaf said:
Why is he on ESPN? Because he gets people to react to what he says i.e. making threads on a forum.

If they brought on a mentally retarded child and had him do sports predictions I would make a thread saying why is ESPN employing that retarded child.

So I guess we can now await the first retarded child commentor/journalistic on ESPN...

Stunning to me that saying the dumbest shit and being wrong is considered a must watch personality but then Fox News is indeed very popular so I guess that does say something about where we are at.

Tamanon

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
If they brought on a mentally retarded child and had him do sports predictons I would make a thread saying why is ESPN employing that retarded child.

So I guess we can now await the first retarded child commentor/journalistic on ESPN...

You must not watch around the horn with Woody Paige then.

Tamanon said:
You must not watch around the horn with Woody Paige then.

He is bad but at least there are a bunch of other people on that show to shrug their shoulders to clue you in that crazy old grandpa is rambling. Along with a fact checker to say he is completely wrong.

I would love a Bayless fact checker right there to tell him to shut his cakehole.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
meh, he's one of many talking heads that have their off and on days. I never found him to be any different than the others. The one i really hate is Jim Rome.

yacobod

Banned
i'm not a fan but he's just playing the heel roll or something similar to a forum troll

if you hate him, he's basically doing his job

yacobod said:
i'm not a fan but he's just playing the heel roll or something similar to a forum troll

if you hate him, he's basically doing his job

See I don't understand this modern attitude. If he said racist rants I would also hate him. Would that be good? I'm exaggerating of course but there is a deeper point.

I hate him because he is completely unsourced and is wrong 70% of the time with his opinions. And at this point I don't watch that morning show if he is on. I still hear his dumb shit though because it either gets repeated on the internet or during other parts of the day occasionally on ESPN. So I don't watch because he is "provocative". I don't watch at all because he is really bad at this job imo.

When did saying crazy shit by itself equate to "Well you gotta give him credit! He's doesn't tow the company line!"

xbhaskarx

Stoney Mason said:
Then you are not watching enough. Nobody says more unsourced stupid wrong shit on a regular basis as this dude.

ESPN also employs Jim Rome, Woody Paige, and until recently Stephen A Smith. Bayless is not an anomaly, basically the more stupid and obnoxious you are, the better you will do at ESPN.

RBH

Fuck ESPN for getting rid of Stephen A. Smith and keeping Bayless.

Stephen A. was more entertaining in the "shock jock" role than Bayless ever was imo.

mernst23

Stoney Mason said:
See I don't understand this modern attitude. If he said racist rants I would also hate him. Would that be good? I'm exaggerating of course but there is a deeper point.

I hate him because he is completely unsourced and is wrong 70% of the time with his opinions. And at this point I don't watch that morning show if he is on. I still hear his dumb shit though because it either gets repeated on the internet or during other parts of the day occasionally on ESPN. So I don't watch because he is "provocative". I don't watch at all because he is really bad at this job imo.

When did saying crazy shit equate to well you gotta give him credit! He's doesn't tow the company line!

And, he's commenting on games.

He's less of a clown discussing sports than say Olbermann or Hannity discussing politics simply because his arena doesn't require seriousness.

mernst23

RBH said:
Fuck ESPN for getting rid of Stephen A. Smith and keeping Bayless.

Stephen A. was more entertaining in the "shock jock" role than Bayless ever was imo.

SAS is just dumb and thinks he knows about basketball because he likes the Lakers and Lebron.

Striker said:
First Take is fairly boring anyway. I don't know why people watch.

My father had a stroke about 1 year and a half ago or so and I had to take care of him for about 6 to 8 months after it happened. My father is retired and watches that show every morning. For 6 months I was sentenced to listen to that knucklehead as I took care of my father until he recovered. I don't know what was more difficult. Dealing with a stroke victim. Or having to hear Skip Bayless say the dumbest, craziest shit on a near daily basis...

That's where I watched him and developed my burning passion of hate for him.

Chris R

xbhaskarx said:
ESPN also employs Jim Rome, Woody Paige, and until recently Stephen A Smith. Bayless is not an anomaly, basically the more stupid and obnoxious you are, the better you will do at ESPN.
Jim Rome might be the biggest idiot on the station, but you can stfu about woody paige :<

Wow he still has a job, eh? I remember his terrible writing for the Dallas Morning News. When he left I figured he had been fired and was going to change careers, lol..

In 2008, after much controversy surrounding the 2008 Summer Olympics, Bayless suggested ending U.S. participation in all Olympic games. Bayless proposed creating a U.S. only Olympics because he believed all professional sports talent was already concentrated in America.

ddk said:
Wow he still has a job, eh? I remember his terrible writing for the Dallas Morning News. When he left I figured he had been fired and was going to change careers, lol..

The only thing worse I can imagine than him talking would be his stupidity in the written form where sources and journalism even for sports you would expect to exist to some degree.

Forkball

A better question is why is Rick Reilly employed. He writes and says some of the most insipid shit I've ever seen in my life. I just immaturely cursed in the previous sentence and it had more flair and character than anything Reilly has ever written. He should start every column with "Gee Golly!." He's like if all those stupid joke spam e-mails somehow fused together into an actual living being.

Look at this article. Try and read it, I dare you. I didn't even dig through his work to find something exceptionally bad, I just clicked on the first article of his I found.

reilly-85.jpg

Don't tell me you wouldn't punch this guy if you saw him.

Tamanon

Banned
Reilly's only on so much because he was a "big get" for ESPN. He's like Bill Simmons without the humor.

And the humor is the only thing that makes Bill Simmons entertaining.

Plus, he's there because big-name white athletes need someone who will always give them a sympathetic interview.

Skip is most definitely an obnoxious a-hole, but he does at least know basketball. He reaches with straws concerning just about every other sport, but he does generally provide insightful opinions with his bball commentary.

He said (with a straight face I might add) that if the Lakers traded Kobe Bryant straight up for Steve Nash in '06, the Lakers (of Smush/Kwame/Luke/Odom) would be in the Finals, and the Suns (of Marion/Barbosa/Diaw/Bell) would be a lottery team.

Complete clown with zero credibility.

I hate Skip, but I gotta admit: He's right with his predictions more than almost anybody on that channel. Why? Maybe because he's a contrarian, and that plays into the unpredictable nature of Sports. I dunno.

Blackface

Banned
He is such an idiot that he happens to be right more then any other NBA analyst in the business.

What a fucking moron. :lol :lol :lol

Silkworm

Skip is employed by ESPN because he's the "Diabolical Hater" :) I miss Blayless vs. Paige :-( At least Paige is on Around the Horn...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom