• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The manliest man ever - ex-marine saves his family by killing a bear with a log...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Chris Everhart just had a Father's Day he'll never forget.

The ex-Marine saved the lives of his three young sons when a 300-pound bear attacked their Georgia campsite last weekend.

While cleaning up after dinner, the family came face to face with the large animal.

"From out of nowhere we heard this loud crash," Everhart said on "Good Morning America." "For a second, I didn't know what it was, but I realized it was a bear. I went to the back of the Jeep to get my pots and pans to scare the bear off."

At the same time, Everhart's 6-year-old son, Logan, tried to frighten the animal. Instead of running away, the bear turned on the boy. Logan's brother, Kyle, tried to help him.

"I threw about five rocks at the bear to keep him away," Kyle Everhart said.

Realizing his sons could be killed, Everhart grabbed a log and threw it at the bear's head, striking and killing him.

"I forgot all about pots and pans and picked up whatever I could to try to distract, fend off, do what I could to get this bear away," Everhart said.

Latest in a String of Bear Attacks

The Georgia campsite incident is the latest in a string of bear attacks. One week ago in Utah's American Fork Canyon, 11-year-old Sam Ives died after a black bear dragged him from his tent and fatally mauled him.

The same bear ripped through another couple's tent hours before the attack. It was later killed and airlifted out of the park.

In upstate New York Monday, a black bear was caught strolling in and out of yards in a small residential neighborhood.

Jim Karpowitz of the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources believes the abundance of bear sightings may be due to recent droughts.

"When it's hot and dry like this bears are short on food and they go looking for food and sometimes they create problems," he said.

For Everhart, the 300-pound bear that attacked his sons was almost a problem too big to handle.

"This one got a little too aggressive for me," he said. "If the bear had gotten near my kids, I would have just jumped on it.Knowing me, that's what I would have done, anything to make sure my kids were safe."

abc_gma_killsbear_edit_070622_mn.jpg

LINK

Realizing his sons could be killed, Everhart grabbed a log and threw it at the bear's head, striking and killing him.

grabbed a log...striking and killing him.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
How anti-climatic.....He threw a log at a bears head? He didn't even really fight it.

Throwing a log is the equivalent to blindsiding someone with a frying pan as they walk through a door....Kind of a bitch move.

bengraven

karasu said:
small ass bear

V47N1_L-154_Crawford_bear.jpg

This is a picture of a grown man with a 300 pound bear.

wenis said:
How anti-climatic.....He threw a log at a bears head? He didn't even really fight it.

Throwing a log is the equivalent to blindsiding someone with a frying pan as they walk through a door....Kind of a bitch move.

He threw a fucking log at a bear and had enough strength in his throw to KILL it.

And if that's not amazing, he basically planned on jumping on it if that didn't work.

Exilexc

Banned
Everyone must realize how much courage this takes in a man. For someone to stand up to a bear is just as a scary as being held point blank rage with a rifle and a unstable person. There could be deadly effects and your never certain what would happen.

Amneziak

aka The Hound
wenis said:

This one of the dumbest things I've ever read. It was a bear, dude.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
This ranks right up there with the guy who heard a wild buck crash through the window of his daughter's upstairs bedroom one night. So he runs up there, wrestles the raging bastard out of the room, down the stairs, through the house and into the kitchen where he fights it for about 40 minutes before he BREAKS ITS NECK.

wenis

bengraven said:
He threw a fucking log at a bear and had enough strength in his throw to KILL it.

And if that's not amazing, he basically planned on jumping on it if that didn't work.

Now that's a real story....Give me a hand to hand fight with the bear and shove that log down the bears throat as you hold it's jaws open with one hand.

Fuck yea! That would be such an awesome painting on the side of a van.

Exilexc

Banned
wenis said:

Would you pull a bitch move to save your family ?

bengraven

wenis said:
Now that's a real story....Give me a hand to hand fight with the bear and shove that log down the bears throat as you hold it's jaws open with one hand.

This is real life though.

DOO13ER said:
This ranks right up there with the guy who heard a wild buck crash through the window of his daughter's upstairs bedroom one night. So he runs up there, wrestles the raging bastard out of the room, down the stairs, through the house and into the kitchen where he fights it for about 40 minutes before he BREAKS ITS NECK.

My uncle has a story like that, though not as honorable.

He was 15, a few years before he became a Marine (I'm far from pro-military, just making conversation).

He was deer hunting and he fired a shot at a deer, but missed and the deer started to cross an icy lake. So there my 15 year old uncle is, jumping in the lake after the deer and he slit it's throat halfway across the lake, then hauled it back in.

ElyrionX

wenis said:

Dear god

if it's a black bear then I believe it, they are smaller then the brown bear. The black bear is more common and spread out across the USA.

many black bears have gained the bad habits of becoming garbage bears, going after human garbage and are easily lured to human locations where food may be easily obtained... like say a camp site

wenis

Exilexc said:
Would you pull a bitch move to save your family ?

Of course I would....but that doesnt mean I wouldnt embellish the story later on.

if anyone is taking me seriously please stop......yeah the dude killed a bear with a log, but I came into the thread thinking he went and beat it to death in a fight with said log not tossing it at it's head. I feel letdown by the way the bear died. Bears are awesome they deserve to go out in a big manner.

wenis said:

Looking around you with no time to think, grabbing a log you see on the ground and throwing it with so much force and precision that upon striking the bears head it kills him on impact is the farthest fucking thing in the universe from blindsiding someone with a frying pan as they walk through the door.

edit:

wenis said:
if anyone is taking me seriously please stop......yeah the dude killed a bear with a log, but I came into the thread thinking he went and beat it to death in a fight with said log not tossing it at it's head. I feel letdown by the way the bear died. Bears are awesome they deserve to go out in a big manner.

This is what we call backpedaling, but yes, it would have been a cooler story had he jumped on the bear and ripped out his organs with his hands.

bengraven

wenis said:
Of course I would....but that doesnt mean I wouldnt embellish the story later on.

Would this make you feel better? "Ship captain kills shark with bare hands to save crew".

Benzley

Banned
Dude what the hell is going on? The animals are revolting.

This morning some news show was on the TV, and I caught a part showing an ex-Marine (although I think they prefer not to be called ex-marines) basically talking about how he fought off a mountain lion attack with a saw. He was camping with his family when a mountain lion charged towards him and his family, he grabbed a saw and held it up as the mountain lion jumped on him. While it was on him, he was trying to cut its neck with the saw, but after it was injured it jumped off and ran away....

and he only got a small scratch...

Marines: 2
Wild Animals: 0

EDIT: NVM, it was a CHAINSAW, even cooler.
The link, I was going to post this, but no thread making for me =(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/5850012/US-man-uses-chainsaw-to-fight-off-mountain-lion-attack.html

Meadows

Banned
I saw a bear in the corner of a hotel parking lot in the Rockies once. I ran away like a little girl. This guy is awesome.

bengraven

Benzley said:

This morning some news show was on the TV, and I caught a part showing an ex-Marine (although I think they prefer not to be called ex-marines) basically talking about how he fought off a mountain lion attack with a saw. He was camping with his family when a mountain lion charged towards him and his family, he grabbed a saw and held it up as the mountain lion jumped on him. While it was on him, he was trying to cut its neck with the saw, but after it was injured it jumped off and ran away....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/5850012/US-man-uses-chainsaw-to-fight-off-mountain-lion-attack.html

Yeah, I just found that news story on the same site. :lol

Haunted

MisterHero said:
Three cheers for our newest hero, the Inanimate Wooden Log!
LOG-ren-and-stimpy-1552749-500-400.jpg

"What rolls down stairs alone or in pairs
Rolls over your neighbor's dog?
What's great for a snack and fits on your back?
It's Log, Log, Log!

It's Log, Log, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's Log, Log, it's better than bad, it's good!
Everyone wants a log! You're gonna love it, Log!
Come on and get your log! Everyone needs a Log!"

JDSN

Banned
wenis said:

I see that study about Tv fucking up dumb women's romantic expectations can be applied to dumb men too.

Gilby

This story almost makes it sound like the bear was just going through their campsite looking for food, and that the dad overreacted and killed it. Impossible to tell without actually seeing it happen though, maybe it was actually going after his son. I've just seen WAY too many people who grew up in the city overreact to bears, so who knows.

Concept17

Benzley said:

Yeah. My girlfriend is good friends with this dudes wife. Been hearing about it all day. Pretty awesome that he used a chainsaw. Can't believe another marine went and managed a HEADSHOT with a log. :lol

Gilby said:
This story almost makes it sound like the bear was just going through their campsite looking for food, and that the dad overreacted and killed it. Impossible to tell without actually seeing it happen though, maybe it was actually going after his son. I've just seen WAY too many people who grew up in the city overreact to bears, so who knows.

Every black bear I've come across was skittish and only interested in the food. Running toward it and yelling has always been enough to send it running off.

Maybe Georgia black bears are more aggressive. I only have experience with CA bears.

Tom Penny

WickedAngel said:
Nice pic. I had just came in to say that black bears might not be as big as a Grizzly but they're still a big fucking animal. They're quite fast, too.

They can also climb trees I believe.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Tom Penny said:
What a bitch move throwing a log. Man up fool !!!
Shitting your pants, curling up into a ball and crying would have been a bitch move. Killing a bear with a log was ninja.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom