• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Headset: What's the best?

Title says it all.

I'm getting heavily into Killzone 2 online and need to take it to the next level: what is the current best bet for a bluetooth headset for the PS3?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think you've found your answer. I can always tell when someone else is using the official headset, since I can actually hear what they're saying. Its pretty expensive, but worth it in the long run.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Official all the way.

I had the Warhawk bundle one and it was fine.

Then I found Endwar bundle clearanced for 20 bucks at Target and the official headset is infinitely superior. I never though it could be such a big difference. Its like standing in a room with the other people.

Mikey Jr.

soldat7 said:
What makes the official one the best? I've seen non-official ones for 20 bucks or less...

It has HQ mode. Which means voices come in clearer...or something like that. Fuck, it could be the next "blast-processing" for all I know.

expy

Banned
I've used two, the Warhawk JABRA headset and the official Playstation headset, and the winner is clearly the official headset.

I agree that the official one is really the way to go, any old regular bluetooth headset will work decent enough, but the official one is really the best bluetooth headset available hand down

Massa

Has anyone used the PS Eye as a mic? I sit pretty close to my TV and used headphones so I was wondering if it would work ok.

noah111

Still Alive
Micromegas said:
I'm getting heavily into Killzone 2 online and need to take it to the next level: what is the current best bet for a bluetooth headset for the PS3?
The official one of course, it's great other than the fact that it gets uncomfortable if you wear it too long, but when that happens I just spin the ear piece and hang it on my shirt, then clip in back onto my ear when it doesn't feel uncomfortable anymore.. rinse and repeat.

Massa said:
Has anyone used the PS Eye as a mic? I sit pretty close to my TV and used headphones so I was wondering if it would work ok.
Yeah i've used it, works pretty well depending on exactly how close you are and how loud you can talk. Personally I can't talk too loud at night (baby in the house) so I use the official one, but if you're close enough and can talk at a normal volume range than it's great.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I have the official one , and the quality is top notch.

noah111

Still Alive
shattyboombatty said:
But what if you hate the ones that jam in your ear? Are there any similar to the 360 headsets that are any good?
Sure, there are comfortable PS3 headsets but they don't have HQ mode thus they're not as high quality.. but if you're really looking for a comfortable ear PS3-specific headset, here's one;

image01.jpg

They're the same guys who make the 'Real Triggers' and some other PS3 stuff.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
A lot of headsets still don't work with the PS3. I had to find out the hard way. Worst thing about buying a headset that can't connect to your PS3 is the fact that you can't return it (Circuit City and Future Shop don't let you return opened headsets). I bought a total of 3 headsets for my PS3, 2 of which were not compatible with the console. Ended up giving them away to family members.

I bought a Jabra when I was in Italy a few years ago (same one that comes with Warhawk), and I would NOT recommend it. It's incredibly quiet (to the point where I have to nearly mute the actual game to understand what people are saying) and it's not very comfortable. No "extra features" either. I regret buying it.

So, given what I've said above, I think your safest bet would be to get the official headset. No worries about compatibility issues, knowledge of the fact that it'll be supported by Sony for years to come, and a lot of cool features like a docking station, being able to use it on your computer while it's charging, etc.

gokieks

ProudClod said:
A lot of headsets still don't work with the PS3. I had to find out the hard way. Worst thing about buying a headset that can't connect to your PS3 is the fact that you can't return it (Circuit City and Future Shop don't let you return opened headsets). I bought a total of 3 headsets for my PS3, 2 of which were not compatible with the console. Ended up giving them away to family members.

I bought a Jabra when I was in Italy a few years ago (same one that comes with Warhawk), and I would NOT recommend it. It's incredibly quiet (to the point where I have to nearly mute the actual game to understand what people are saying) and it's not very comfortable. No "extra features" either. I regret buying it.

So, given what I've said above, I think your safest bet would be to get the official headset. No worries about compatibility issues, knowledge of the fact that it'll be supported by Sony for years to come, and a lot of cool features like a docking station, being able to use it on your computer while it's charging, etc.

What headsets were you buying? Any Bluetooth headset that has support for the Headset Profile should work fine - I had an old Motorola HS-801 that I bought maybe 4 or 5 years ago, and it worked fine on my PS3 before I eventually got the official headset.

ChinoMike55

Neo Member
Seems like so many people on the PSN use bad bluetooth headsets, or the Playstation Eye mic. Both make a lot of annoying background noise for other users. That's why I say get the official as others have suggested here, or a hardline USB headset.

i've used the 'warhawk' headset, then maintenance guys at my apartments stole it, so i got a plantronics. the official headset blows them both away. it actually knows when to automatically enable itself if i get into a game that looks for a headset. the others i had to hit a sync button on it until it kicked in, or check it in the settings before going into the game.

official headset sits in the cradle charging until it's time to play. sounds great too.

Darkatomz

Revolutionary said:
The official one.

This. It's fantastic in pretty much every way. Comfort is arguable to some, so see if you can try it on for an extended period of time if it'd be an issue for you.

Look for the endwar bundle with official headset at a local target. You may get lucky, it's on clearance for as low as $22.xx (target clearance's are ymmv; its $44.xx at my target for instance)

gotee12

I personally can't stand any over the ear headsets/earphones, they always give me a headache. So for me, I actually use my visor clip bluetooth speaker from my car. It's a Motorola T305. Of course there's NO privacy with these suckers but I've never had anyone complain about the quality of my voice and everyone else comes across very clear as well. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper now than when I bought mine since Moto's released the newer T505.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JKKE5M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

John

Went to Target to get the $22 Endwar bundle because of this thread. I've been using some random Motorola headset for a year now, but it just wasn't that great. Lots of gain.

Puck

Banned
The official one isn't very comfortable at all after a few hours. You need to stick it into your ear all the way.

hesis

Neo Member
soldat7 said:
What makes the official one the best? I've seen non-official ones for 20 bucks or less...

Like others have said, the voice quality is unmatched. Crisp and clear, no "fuzzies" due to the HQ (High Quality) mode, plus it's well made and has a handy mute button for those "certain" situations :D.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
gokieks said:
What headsets were you buying? Any Bluetooth headset that has support for the Headset Profile should work fine - I had an old Motorola HS-801 that I bought maybe 4 or 5 years ago, and it worked fine on my PS3 before I eventually got the official headset.

The first one I bought was from a small relatively unknown company. I bought it on the cheap because I didn't feel like spending 60 bucks on a headset. Stupid mistake on my part -- but I figured compatibility wouldn't be an issue. I was wrong.

The second was a Motorola, not sure on the exact model. It paired fine, but didn't work in game. I also had to pair it every time I reset my PS3 in order for it to even be recognized.

Sentry said:
Sure, there are comfortable PS3 headsets but they don't have HQ mode thus they're not as high quality.. but if you're really looking for a comfortable ear PS3-specific headset, here's one;

image01.jpg

They're the same guys who make the 'Real Triggers' and some other PS3 stuff.

oh sweet, I didn't notice the back of that one. I probably would have gotten that, but I already ordered the one I mentioned http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000928E34/?tag=neogaf0e-20. I'll post if it ends up being any good or not.

Volcynika

I have a Logitech USB headset that works great. Go wires! :p

As an aside (I don't like to do thread hijacking, but a question I've had lately) is there any webcam that works well with both the PS3 and a PC? I've looked around, but not seen much.

Top Bottom