• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I shake uncontrollably when I'm even the slightest bit nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Shit sux. Job interviews, dates, you name it; seems like I have to consciously try and keep myself from shaking. It's a pretty big downer in these situations.

Anyone else have this problem?

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
I get a headache and start to think about horrible things when I'm nervous.

way more

Hilarious!

Go see a psychologist who does Cognitive Behavior Therapy. Use those keywords when you call one. They will give you some tips and likely some medication. You don't have to use the pills, sometimes having them around is enough to give you the confidence you need.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
K2Valor said:
Try drinking shakes, I heard they help.

trytheshakes.jpg

In all seriousness, the shakes are a terrible thing to have. It's most likely psychological though. How is your general confidence?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I've had anxiety problems in the past, but if you work out and generally live a discipline and regimented lifestyle, most of those problems tend to disappear.

If that doesn't work for you it's time for some Xanax.:D

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Viewt said:
Maybe you have tremors. I know a guy who has them - he keeps it in check by smoking a bunch of pot.

LOL.

If you anxiety problems weed will only make it 100x worse. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a stoner in denial.

And this is coming from a guy who smokes kush from Cali medical clinnics.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
suffah said:
In all seriousness, the shakes are a terrible thing to have. It's most likely psychological though. How is your general confidence?

I'm sorta inclined to say it's not psychological...

But on the other hand, yeah, my confidence is pretty shitty. Especially in social situations. Doesn't stop me from really trying, but it seems like my head always gets the better of me. Maybe my definition of "slightest bit" isn't the same as everyone elses' since I'm pretty constantly having anxiety over something.

GAF said:
Smoke weed

I like this idea.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Lost Fragment said:
I like this idea.

You have Dr. Drew as your avatar, claim to have anxiety problems, yet think smoking weed is a good idea?:lol

Weed is not for unstable people, whether its depression or anxiety. Go down that path and you'll see I was right.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
You could have nerve problems? I dunno. I sometimes shake in a situation I knwo I oughta feel nervous in, but don't consciously feel nervous about. Kinda sucks being confident and still looking nervous.

mac said:
Hilarious!

Go see a psychologist who does Cognitive Behavior Therapy. Use those keywords when you call one. They will give you some tips and likely some medication. You don't have to use the pills, sometimes having them around is enough to give you the confidence you need.
I just made a thread about getting perscribed effexor.

But it doesn't sound too hot with what I'm reading on other forums. So, it's working as a motivator.

People mention weight gain and I want to start working out. Someone else in this thread mentioned working out helping. I'm on the iPhone and can't quote another person at the same time.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
half a moon said:
I just made a thread about getting perscribed effexor.

Effexor is for depression. Essentially it is a tweek/meth pill that can work will for some people. It's an upper that sucks ass IMO.

Xanax/Valium are benzodiazepinethat are treated for anxiety and completely different from antidepressants and mellow you out like nothing else.

I use Xanax recreationally, but it is an extremely addictive drug so I use it rarely but it is amazing in times of high stress and anxiety,

That happens to me during confrontations. I tend to freeze up and tremble a bit, and I've also been told my mouth contorts when I'm really angry. Oddly I've never had any problems with it when things get phsyical, but high emotional tension fucks with me.

Mahzkrieg

Banned
Don't get mixed up with anxiety drugs. Benzos like Xanax are a path you don't want to go down.

There's no bigger psychological addiction than a drug that removes your anxieties.

Sounds like you have an anxiety issue which doesn't necessarily mean you have to feel super nervous. Many people with anxiety issues just have a fight or flight mechanism that's over-responsive.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Kastrioti said:
You have Dr. Drew as your avatar, claim to have anxiety problems, yet think smoking weed is a good idea?:lol

Weed is not for unstable people, whether its depression or anxiety. Go down that path and you'll see I was right.

But it feels good. Man.

I'm not being entirely serious. Weed is awesome and all, but I'd tweak out if I did it and got into a situation I'm not entirely comfortable with.

Kastrioti said:
Effexor is for depression. Essentially it is a tweek/meth pill that can work will for some people. It's an upper that sucks ass IMO.

Xanax/Valium are benzodiazepinethat are treated for anxiety and completely different from antidepressants and mellow you out like nothing else.

I use Xanax recreationally, but it is an extremely addictive drug so I use it rarely but it is amazing in times of high stress and anxiety,
Effexor is for depression and anxiety. The therapist made a point that I had both and that it was for both so i wouldn't need two pills. Also online it's described as both.

But rather than taking it daily and having weird widthdrawl symptoms if i miss a pill I'd rather take Xanax recreationally.

temp

posting on contract only
What if it you were like Storm and you caused an earthquake every time you got nervous? You wouldn't know the difference.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Lost Fragment said:
But it feels good. Man.

I'm not being entirely serious. Weed is awesome and all, but I'd tweak out if I did it and got into a situation I'm not entirely comfortable with.

:lol No doubt man, I blaze as well but you need to keep it under control. I have anxiety problems at times, and it was worse when I was smoking everyday for like 2 years a few years back.

You can smoke weed, but keep it in moderation like everything else in life, and start working out. I can't stress this enough, and with that go to school and get an education to build your confidence.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
half a moon said:
Effexor is for depression and anxiety. The therapist made a point that I had both and that it was for both so i wouldn't need two pills. Also online it's described as both.

But rather than taking it daily and having weird widthdrawl symptoms if i miss a pill I'd rather take Xanax recreationally.

Effexor is most defiantly not for anti-anxiety. It is synthesized meth, that is used to treat depression. There is a big difference between anxiety and depression.

woeds

I have the exact same problems. The stupid thing is, it's not really when I'm nervous, but when I am supposed to feel nervous. Last year I went to the hospital for very minor surgery and was completely fine with the idea. When they were riding my bed to the operating room I was perfectly calm in my mind but my body just started shaking and I couldn't really control it. Same happens sometimes with public speaking (altough less severe) even when I am perfectly prepared.

Haven't found a solution yet. My doc suggested some form of medication but it turns out it's risky to use when you have asthma (which I do)

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
woeds said:
I have the exact same problems. The stupid thing is, it's not really when I'm nervous, but when I am supposed to feel nervous. Last year I went to the hospital for very minor surgery and was completely fine with the idea. When they were riding my bed to the operating room I was perfectly calm in my mind but my body just started shaking and I couldn't really control it. Same happens sometimes with public speaking (altough less severe) even when I am perfectly prepared.
Dude, me too.

But it's not too common for me, really.

Kastrioti said:
Effexor is most defiantly not for anti-anxiety. It is synthesized meth, that is used to treat depression. There is a big difference between anxiety and depression.
My therapist and the official effexor website says it treats both.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Lost Fragment said:
Shit sux. Job interviews, dates, you name it; seems like I have to consciously try and keep myself from shaking. It's a pretty big downer in these situations.

Anyone else have this problem?
i used to get nervous and shakey using the phone. Heck,when i first started frequenting forums, i was terrified of reentering threads after posting something that someone might consider confrontational. i had the shakes baaaaad. Its a terrible thing to experience. Really, if you want to avoid meds the only thing i can suggest is forcing yourself out into social events, maybe tell a family member or friend you trust. they can help support you and encourage your confidence with baby steps.

I'm still a little bit off for things like job interviews, but thats natural.

Ok then. Have you tried drinking some tea? Try chamomile. I'll often drink a cup before I go to bed because it really calms me down.

dakster

Neo Member
I use to get some real bad panic attacks due to anxiety. Christ they would just come on if i was just a tiny bit uncomfortable, then boom, i couldn't even control my head or keep eye contact with people. I use to be a right confident cocky sucker when i was younger, then i started smoking weed. The confidence was out the window like a jewel thief leaving me a shell of my former self. Whatever you do dont smoke weed! this will make the problem ten times worse!

Not sure what age you are, but as you get older it gets better, mine started at 19/20 i'm now 35 and pretty much they are a thing of the past. Do you have a job? if not get one, even part time. Whilst suffering anxiety the worst thing you can do is shy away from the world, this will only make it worse. Purely for the fact it may seem easier to avoid social situations like working, however if you lock yourself away in no time at all it seems easier to do nothing and the situation will end up worse. You need to converse with strangers regulary this will help build confidence and will help you adjust to social situations, dont make yourself the centre of conversation, just hang back with the crowd and make yourself fit in.

Dont take medication if you can help it, the drugs will only mask the situation at hand. You dont want the the drugs to become a crutch, even worse become addicted to them. People may even notice a change in your personality whilst on them, you may feel fine but to others you may appear drowsy, slow and look like your on something.

If your feeling to bad and have a shitty situation ahead, interview, social event etc.... have a small drink to take the edge of the paranoia, make sure it's a small one. You have probably already noticed that when you drink alcohol your anxietys go out the window.

If you haven't told your friends yet and your hiding behind a wall of fake bravado, tell them, i imagine you will be suprised how helpful they can be, also if they know the situation and see you in certain situations where you are feeling awkward, a true friend will try and turn the conversation round to themselves, thereby taking the heat off of you. You may also be suprised how many of your friends also suffer from this and have been feeling awkward and dying to tell someone themselves. A problem shared really is a problem halfed when you feel like this.

What are you built like? people who are naturally thin tend to suffer like this more than most, some where bullied at school, couldn't get the girls, eroding thier confidence even further. Hit the gym, well in your situation get some free weights for the house, eat well, high protein diet, hit the weights three times a week, using compound exercises, bench, squat etc....

Monday, chest arms
wednesday, back shoulders
friday, legs, traps.

Get a punch bag, read up on some boxing basics, hit the bag hard twice a week, remember to eat well for the extra exercise, dont let it cut into your weight training. You will be supriised at how transforming your physical appearance, will help your confidence soar.

Need anymore advice dont be afraid to ask, i put up with this shit for years, all the best! chin up, chest out, walk tall.

dakster

Neo Member
hamchan said:
Me too. Whenever I do speeches that kind of stuff.

Lol not being rude mate, but a person suffering from true anxiety wouldn't even contemplate a speech, you'd be lucky to make it to the stage before passing out or hitting your heels.

way more

Mahzkrieg said:
Don't get mixed up with anxiety drugs. Benzos like Xanax are a path you don't want to go down.

There's no bigger psychological addiction than a drug that removes your anxieties.

Sounds like you have an anxiety issue which doesn't necessarily mean you have to feel super nervous. Many people with anxiety issues just have a fight or flight mechanism that's over-responsive.

Thanks for the advice. To reiterate what you just said, don't do anxiety drugs and it sounds like your anxiety coping system is faulty. You could have at least told him to stop being a pussy and get over himself or gone with the hold stand by, EXERCISE!

Happens to me, but rarely.

Last time I recall was when Nintendo World had retro (virtual console) tournaments. I was winning in Waverace, but I shook a little, as if I'd fall, but what I did was think "get a grip, you have everything under control, nothing to worry about, you've got this!" and so I stopped and continued playing.

Oh. Another time was when I was working in Lincoln Center on my first day, and I've never had sales experience... and during intermission, people not forming a straight line and bombarding me from like 3 or 4 places at once. I actually had to just stop for a second and get myself together for that one, but after that day, I was just fine. I lost like 5 dollars that day with counting change, though...

Actually, in my case, it isn't really "shaking" but just feeling weak I guess. Like I'd fall or something, but it kinda results in shaking.

Kipz

massive bear, tiny salmon
Maybe weed affects everyone differently but when I'm high the only times I feel truly good is by myself in a stress free environment. Doing a job interview high? Fuck that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom