• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 sales increase by 999% in the UK and outsells the Xbox 360 3-1

deepbrown

Chart-Track has told GamesIndustry.biz that sales of the PlayStation 3 have rocketed 999 per cent over the past week.

Sony introduced the new, slimmer SKU last Tuesday, and although Chart-Track does not reveal actual sales numbers, Dorian Bloch, director of the firm called the growth "a huge increase".

"The uplift on week 36 on week 35 is plus 999 per cent," revealed Bloch. "We don't give out the hardware numbers, but never-the-less it's a very large increase."
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/playstation-3-sales-rocket-1000-percent-on-slim-release

ChartTrack has told MCV that it is not releasing specific sales numbers, but did say:

“The sales increase is very impressive, making the PS3 the top selling hardware in Week 36. The Xbox 360, Wii and DS Lite all sold around the same amount last week – PS3 Slim outsold each of them by a ratio of three-to-one.”

The sales-tracking firm added that it’s unsure how long the uplift will continue for.
“The longevity of this uplift very much depends on the time of year. The PS2 Slim was released in November, much closer to Christmas. We’ll have to wait and see how things work out for Sony this time.”
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35676/UK-PS3-sales-up-999

Also software sales went up:

The greatest benficiary is the 2007 title Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, which saw a massive 128 per cent rise in sales
http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/formats/playstation3/ps3-software-sales-rocket-in-uk-following-slim-release-$1325246.htm

Edit: Approximate sales from PS2 Slim numbers.

That puts the PS3's sales for the week ending 5th September at approximately 41,000 units. If the 1000 per cent increase in sales over a week earlier are to be believed, then the PS3 sold 3,700 units the week before the PS3 Slim's launch.
http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/formats/playstation3/ps3-slim-sold-approximately-40k-in-uk-s-launch-week-$1325322.htm

Here's the predicted sales units by using Chart-Track's reference to the PS2 Slim's launch sales (which were 50k)

Sales in the past three weeks (UK) approx (all from PS2 Slim sales):

PS3 Week 3: 41k (Slim launch)
PS3 Week 2: 3.7k
PS3 Week 1: 4.4k

Xbox 360 Week 3: 13.7k
Xbox 360 Week 2: 10.6k (Elite price cut)
Xbox 360 Week 1: 7.4k

Sony UK's sales director Mark Howsen has told GamesIndustry.biz that first week sales of the PlayStation slim have exceeded expectations.

The new unit went on sale last Tuesday in the region priced at GBP 249, with Chart-Track data revealing today that sales were up over 1000 per cent.

"The first week's Chart-Track numbers for sales of the new PlayStation 3 were ahead of our expectations, so we were extremely pleased," offered Howsen.

"A new price point and a new machine has proven a significant catalyst to help consumers make the move onto PS3."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-ps3-sales-ahead-of-expectations

Also Slim sold 37k in France's launch week:

http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises...ystation-3-multipliees-par-dix-en-france.html

szaromir

Banned
So it was being outsold by competition 3-to-1 prior to the price cut? Ouch.
Huge increase though. Congrats Sony.

Picking up on that last point about software sales, here's Charttracks data for the week:

For a second week, ‘Batman: Arkham Asylum’ holds tight at the top of the All Formats Chart ahead of Wii Sports Resort’ at No2 (-11%).

Sales of Eidos’ critically acclaimed title are only down 27% with the PS3 version gaining ground on the Xbox 360 version, boosted by bundling and the launch of Sony’s new PS3 Slim console at £249.99. Retailer bundling of Sony’s new cheaper and slimmer console has had a marked effect on the All Formats Chart this week with Activision-Blizzard and EA the main beneficiaries. ‘Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare’ (+128%) charges up the Chart from No10 to No3 – it’s highest position for almost 1 ½ years, while ‘Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10’ is up one place to No7, sales climbing by 38%. ‘Call of Duty: World at War’ (+7%) and ‘Fight Night Round 4’ (+68%) both witness strong increases in sales to the PS3 versions, however ‘World at War’ still drops 2 places to No8, while ‘Fight Night’ makes its way back into the Top 10, up 4 places to No9.

There is still room for 2 new releases in the All Formats Top 10 despite competition from PS3 hardware bundled titles - 505 Games debuts at No6 with ‘IL2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey’ and Square Enix’s RPG on PSP ‘Dissidia: Final Fantasy’ is new at No10.

Both LBP and Killzone2 return to the chart also.

f@luS

More than a member.
And as far as i know, UK Was the worst selling country for the PS3 (almost the only one where 360 had the edge, in other country such as france or germany, it was selling more), so it must really be a storm accros euroland right now....

deepbrown

szaromir said:
So it was being outsold by competition 3-to-1 prior to the price cut? Ouch.
Huge increase though. Congrats Sony.
The week before - remember PS3 sales crashed in the UK before the release of the PS3 Slim as well. Down 20% as 360 sales were up 43%

Maybe this is about Europe as well...and not just the UK. Not sure.

Nice bump, i added two to the total can i have a badge please.:lol The ads can only help, ive seen them untold amount of times now as before that ps3 ads were slim on the ground after kz2.

Zenith

Banned
a 1000% increase? not to be a doubting thomas but has any price cut/new sku done that? And aren't PS3 sales typically 4/5th's 360 sales? Shouldn't it be more than 3 to 1 if sales are 10 times what they used to be?

ShinNL

f@luS said:
And as far as i know, UK Was the worst selling country for the PS3 (almost the only one where 360 had the edge, in other country such as france or germany, it was selling more), so it must really be a storm accros euroland right now....
The UK was always quite different when it comes to sales compared to the rest of Europe. For someone not living in the UK (The Netherlands), the UK seemed more like a mini US. I'm fairly certain that the 360 never really picked up well here.

f@luS

More than a member.
Zenith said:
a 1000% increase? not to be a doubting thomas but has any price cut/new sku done that? And aren't PS3 sales typically 4/5th's 360 sales? Shouldn't it be more than 3 to 1 if sales are 10 times what they used to be?
it was just last week. People were expecting and waiting for the slim !

Soneet said:
The UK was always quite different when it comes to sales compared to the rest of Europe. For someone not living in the UK (The Netherlands), the UK seemed more like a mini US. I'm fairly certain that the 360 never really picked up well here.
So Slim numbers should be insane in other euroland country..even more insane !

mr_nothin

Banned
szaromir said:
Necessarily. PS3 noted a 10fold increase in sales, while sales of competing consoles remained the same and PS3 outsold them 3-to-1 now.
So the 360/Wii/Ds Lite all sold the same amount of hardware numbers?
I'm taking that to be "around" or at least 3-1

onken

Zenith said:

The figure is totally sensationalist. Sales will have fallen through the floor the previous week, who's going to buy a fat with the slim releasing the week after?

Sean

Banned
That's a huge increase, but comparing it to the week before is kinda silly. I would imagine that PS3 sales would've dried up (like we saw happen in Japan) the week before a slimmer and cheaper model was coming out.

People knew the Slim release date months ahead of time due to the leaks :lol

ShinNL

f@luS said:
So Slim numbers should be insane in other euroland country..even more insane !
I'm sure that people wouldn't get another PS3 if they already have one...
I think this is a case of hitting the sweet spot for the UK. Not necessarily for the rest of Europe (where people were already buying it).

Kinan

Well, together with Japan, rest of Europe, and NA numbers, PS3 probably increased its install base for around half a million units last week. I'm sure Sony is pretty satisfied. As is Activision.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Zenith said:

10 times the sales of just the previous week, not where they were generally 'before' the slim and pricecut. Sales in that previous week would have been down with the announcement of the slim. So, this weeks sales would encompass some lost in the previous week as well as the increase you'd have due to the cut. That said, I'd guess this is a respectable increase compared to other similar situations before.

You can expect next week they'll fall back relative to these numbers, only question is where that'll leave them relative to the other systems then.

Dibbz

It was up by 999% compared to the prior week. Sony announced the slim and PS3 sales dropped so that's why the increase was so big.

None the less outselling every other console 3-1 is good for Sony.

medrew

Is it really that surprising? With the advertising Sony has been doing over the last couple of weeks for the thing (at least getting people to know the Slim is coming out) and the price cut I know I would not have been in any hurry to buy a PS3 Fat the week before its launch.

And 1000% is 11 times the sales, not 10.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
lolz. the increase wouldn't fit in chart track's system. 999 is as high as they go.

The Chart-Track spokesman told us, "Actually, it was more than 999%. Our system shows up to three digits so essentially 999 is what our system does in this situation."

He continued, "There has actually been more than an 11-fold increase in sales over the previous week. The PS3 also outsold the other three top-selling consoles (Xbox 360, Wii and DS Lite) by 3-1. That's not all together by 3-1 but respectively - each of those sold roughly the same number."

http://news.*****.com/article/19135/Confirmed-PS3-Sales-Up-More-than-1-000pc

deepbrown

medrew said:
Is it really that surprising? With the advertising Sony has been doing over the last couple of weeks for the thing (at least getting people to know the Slim is coming out) and the price cut I know I would not have been in any hurry to buy a PS3 Fat the week before its launch.

And 1000% is 11 times the sales, not 10.
So if the PS3 sold 2 thousand in Japan the week before the Slim launched...and the UK market is about the same...

I'd put sales at around 22,000. Wait, that doesn't sound like very much lol

Loudninja

deepbrown said:
SO it sold more than 999% more.

And it outsold the DS 3 to 1, the 360 3 to 1 and the Wii 3 to 1.

Since when has the 360 been selling as much as the DS?

Probably since the price drop?

Balboa

Katana_Strikes said:
Are PSN cards out yet?

Would have been a good time to launch them if not... well Sony can't get everything right I suppose ;)
I was hoping to get one of these when I bought my Slim but they are nowhere to be found, no listings for them online either.

I hate the fact we get no numbers... but at least 3x the competition gives us scale.

Anyone got anything similar for what the price cuts did for the 360 / PS3 in the past?

Tntnnbltn

jump_button said:
how about the wii?
For those who don't read:
"The PS3 also outsold the other three top-selling consoles (Xbox 360, Wii and DS Lite) by 3-1. That's not all together by 3-1 but respectively - each of those sold roughly the same number"

Edit: I caught your stealth.

Such a massive boost isn't really much of a surprise if you're living in the UK. I wonder how it'll continue to do moving forward. Generally post-price cut/model launches don't determine the exact path of sales but there is a massive amount of hype beyond the new PS3 model. It's really grown on me as well.

mclem

deepbrown said:
SO it sold more than 999% more.

And it outsold the DS 3 to 1, the 360 3 to 1 and the Wii 3 to 1.

Since when has the 360 been selling as much as the DS?

Easily:

“The sales increase is very impressive, making the PS3 the top selling hardware in Week 36. The Xbox 360, Wii and DS Lite all sold around the same amount last week – PS3 Slim outsold each of them by a ratio of three-to-one.”

Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid, but I'd wonder if that wasn't a bit more misleading than I'd expect from a neutral tracking body.

Sean said:
That's a huge increase, but comparing it to the week before is kinda silly. I would imagine that PS3 sales would've dried up (like we saw happen in Japan) the week before a slimmer and cheaper model was coming out.

People knew the Slim release date months ahead of time due to the leaks :lol

Absolutely true.
But if you wanna scream 999% increment you do post news like this.
(Not referring to the author of the post!!!)

Top Bottom