• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Math Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperBonk

Guled said:
alright, got the last one. Still stumped on the first and y'' for the second.
As posted before, use the chain rule. You know, derivative of the "outside" times the derivative of the "inside."

So the derivative of lnx is 1/x and the derivatives of secx and tanx are secxtanx and (secx)^2, respectively.

Same thing for the y'' of the second one. It's incredibly easy to find the derivative of e functions, just repeat what you did when you got y' plus the fact that you have to use the power rule.

I'd post a more detailed answer but it's really hard and annoying to post complicated math functions.

Can anyone help solve this?

I'm trying to solve for the arc length.

l_1b92f66249924e4dba3f529e9d2e9010.jpg

Romaji

You have x and y defined in terms of t. Take the derative of each with respect to t (i.e., find dx/dt and dy/dt). Plug them into the appropriate spots, simplify*, and integrate.

* Hint:
cos(a)^2 + sin(a)^2 = 1

Yaweee

Romaji said:
You have x and y defined in terms of t. Take the derative of each with respect to t (i.e., find dx/dt and dy/dt). Plug them into the appropriate spots, simplify*, and integrate.

* Hint:
cos(a)^2 + sin(a)^2 = 1

What this man says. It's basically a "Do it in parts and simplify as you go" type question. Having the same coefficient for the trig functions and the horrible death of that -5 makes it simple.

Pringo

Banned
I'm working on an assignment due tomorrow and I lent out my notes thinking I wouldn't be needing them. It turns out I might, and then book doesn't really explain this stuff all that well, so here's hoping GAF knows what to do.
Find the volume of the solid enclosed by the paraboloid z = 2 + x^2 + (y - 3)^2, the xy plane, and the vertical planes x = -1, x = 1, y = 0, y = 4.
Right now I'm thinking I need to take a double integral of the equation with the integrals evaluated from 0 to 4 and -1 to 1:

2r2w3rq.png

I have no idea if this is right or why it's right if it is. Any help?

Scalemail Ted said:
However:

l_05023168313149d9b3fc7a0cdd6285d1.jpg

how do i have the denominator as 2x --> but the book has x??????

What did i do wrong???
They're the same thing, the only difference is the integration constant. You can pull the factor of 2 out as -3 ln 2, and absorb it into the C.

Leezard

Guled said:
Can anyone help me with this one question?

23tfm9w.png

the answer is 0, but I don't understand how to do it.

Well, even though I lack the vocabulary for talking about maths in English:
As x approaches 0-, 1/x will approach negative infinity. e^(negative infinity) is incredibly small. The x below won't grow fast enough to be able to stop the whole function from approaching zero.

hemtae

Guled said:
thats what I thought, but I get -(e^(1/x))/x^2 which doesn't make it better

edit: beaten by Leezard

Well I went off in the wrong direction

Anyways (e^(1/x))/x = (e^(-x))/x
= 1/(e^x)/x​
= x/(e^x)​
= 0/1​
= 0​

hope you can follow that

Jonsoncao

Banned
hemtae said:
Well I went off in the wrong direction

Anyways (e^(1/x))/x = (e^(-x))/x
= 1/(e^x)/x​
= x/(e^x)​
= 0/1​
= 0​

hope you can follow that

oh sir I am sorry but you were wrong

Jonsoncao

Banned
Guled said:
Can anyone help me with this one question?

23tfm9w.png

the answer is 0, but I don't understand how to do it.
a little substitution would be helpful, let y = 1/x
then when x approaches 0^-, y approaches -inf
the limit becomes: (I ll use a little TeX here, _ means subscript, ^ means supscript)
lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-} e^{1/x}/x = lim_{y \rightarrow -\infty} e^y/(1/y) = lim_{y \rightarrow -\infty} y/e^{-y}

use LHopital rule for the last expression(infinity over infinity type) u ll get the answer

another explanation would be e^{1/x} convergence rate is x to the infinite power, it is a lot faster than x to the first power, when x is near 0 minus

I used to teach my CS students Cal III, so I am very positive with my answer above

-COOLIO- said:
if im making a math thread i should definitely put this link somewhere:

http://www.khanacademy.org/

This might be the greatest site i have ever seen, thanks thanks thanks. I am studying fourier series and fourier transform right now, but cant find them there do anybody now if they have another name in english?(I understand that it is a stupid question if they are never told fourier in english, but i thought that they may have two names for it.)

Jonsoncao

Banned
alexthekid said:
This might be the greatest site i have ever seen, thanks thanks thanks. I am studying fourier series and fourier transform right now, but cant find them there do anybody now if they have another name in english?(I understand that it is a stupid question if they are never told fourier in english, but i thought that they may have two names for it.)

No, Fourier transform is just Fourier transform
it has something to do with the Laplace transform, maybe you could google frequency domain for more info
basically an FT transforms your time domain stuffs(function of t, functionals on time dependent function space) into frequency domain stuffs

I need some simple cal help:

f(x) = (2x+5)^5 ; f'(x) = 10(2x+5)^4

right?

f(x) = (x^2+5)^6 ; f'(x) = 12x(x^2+5)^5

so far so good

now this:

f(x) = (x^3+5)^6 ; f'(x) = 18x^2(x^3+5)^5

No?

Doesn't seem to work: http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=18x^2(x^3%2B5)^5&random=false

What's the rule with this stuff? I thought I had it but I dont...

is the rule this?

f(u) = (u + c)^k; f'(u) = ku'(u+c)^(k-1) ?

Uncompromisable said:
I need some simple cal help:

f(x) = (2x+5)^5 ; f'(x) = 10(2x+5)^4

right?

f(x) = (x^2+5)^6 ; f'(x) = 12x(x^2+5)^5

so far so good

now this:

f(x) = (x^3+5)^6 ; f'(x) = 18x^2(x^3+5)^5

No?

Doesn't seem to work: http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=18x^2(x^3%2B5)^5&random=false

What's the rule with this stuff? I thought I had it but I dont...

is the rule this?

f(u) = (u + c)^k; f'(u) = ku'(u+c)^(k-1) ?

yours is correct, wolfram does the integral, you are doing the derivative.

I have a final a few hours so any help is appreciated.

A deposit of $1000 is made to a bond fund. The amount triples in 10 years. Find the annual interest rate if interest is compounded monthly.

I'm pretty sure I have it set up right:

3000=1000(1+r/12)^120

But I'm not sure where to take it from there. The answer is supposed to be

12(e^(ln3/120)-1)

Romaji

PolarBearsClub said:
I have a final a few hours so any help is appreciated.

A deposit of $1000 is made to a bond fund. The amount triples in 10 years. Find the annual interest rate if interest is compounded monthly.

I'm pretty sure I have it set up right:

3000=1000(1+r/12)^120

But I'm not sure where to take it from there. The answer is supposed to be

12(e^(ln3/120)-1)

Divide both sides by 1000 to get:
3=(1+r/12)^120

Take the logarithm of both sides:
ln(3)=ln((1+r/12)^120)

With the logarithm, you can take out the exponent:
ln(3)=120*ln(1+r/12)

Divide:
ln(3)/120=ln(1+r/12)

Make each side powers of e:
e^(ln(3)/120)=e^(ln(1+r/12))

Now you can also undo the logarithm on the right hand side since e^ln(x)=x:
e^(ln(3)/120)=1+r/12

Solve for r.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i might be brain farting, but is there an easy proof as to why x > sin(x) for all x greater than 0?

Chris R

-COOLIO- said:
i might be brain farting, but is there an easy proof as to why x > sin(x) for all x greater than 0?
What kind of proof do you need? A real fucking hardcore QED proof, or a graph?

_Isaac

I wouldn't know how to prove it, but I think it makes sense for x values greather than or equal to one from just looking at the unit circle and the graph of sin(x). The range of sin(x) is only from -1 to 1, so the only way where x>sin(x) could possibly be false is when x<1. I don't know how you would prove it for those values though. I'm stumped.

-COOLIO- said:

Been some time, I don't know if this is valid. :p

Consider f(x) = x - sin(x)

f'(x) = slope = 1 - cos(x) > 0
f(0) = 0

So f(x) > 0
x - sin(x) > 0
x > sin(x)

Find an equation of the tangent to the curve at the point coresponding to the given value of the parameter.
cramster-equation-20084193016334263900161724508835.gif
cramster-equation-20084192631633426387918926464392.gif
t = 1

First we must find the (x,y) coordinate in which t = 1.
cramster-equation-200841929406334263898084949365676.gif
cramster-equation-200841928596334263893993905488975.gif

Which yields the point (e,1). Next we must find the slope of the line at the given point by finding the value of dy/dx at t=1.

cramster-equation-200841932326334263915252332121279.gif
cramster-equation-200841933176334263919769982181316.gif

Therefore:
cramster-equation-200841935146334263931444615048125.gif
When t = 1 dy/dx = -2/e

So the equation of the line is
cramster-equation-200841936346334263939423557001985.gif

I understand everything here up until the end. Where did the +3 come from????

Scalemail Ted said:
I understand everything here up until the end. Where did the +3 come from????
You know the tangent line has the equation y = -2/e x + const. To find the constant, just note that the line has to pass through the point (x,y)=(e,1) (i.e. the point on the original curve where t=1).

-COOLIO- said:
Do you mean the functions? (y = sin(x) and y = x respectively) If yes, one idea might be that sin(x) has a limit at x = 1 and y = x doesn't.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
whatsinaname said:
Been some time, I don't know if this is valid. :p

Consider f(x) = x - sin(x)

f'(x) = slope = 1 - cos(x) > 0
f(0) = 0

So f(x) > 0
x - sin(x) > 0
x > sin(x)
agh i forgot to check back here, this would of worked. thanks bro. i have to make sure to remember this.

close to the edge said:
Do you mean the functions? (y = sin(x) and y = x respectively) If yes, one idea might be that sin(x) has a limit at x = 1 and y = x doesn't.
that's true but that doesnt mean sinx couldnt have been bigger than x at reaaally small values (which it isnt)

torontoml

Having some trouble with this one:

The differential equation (3xy^2 - 2y)dx + (5x^2y^2 - 3x)dy = 0

I need to find the integrating factor in the form u=x^my^n.

torontoml said:
Having some trouble with this one:

The differential equation (3xy^2 - 2y)dx + (5x^2y^2 - 3x)dy = 0

I need to find the integrating factor in the form u=x^my^n.
isnt the integrating factor supposed to be I(x) = e^(integral: (P(x)dx )

im only 3 lecures into diffEq, we hit second order equations either this week or next

torontoml

liquidspeed said:
isnt the integrating factor supposed to be I(x) = e^(integral: (P(x)dx )

im only 3 lecures into diffEq, we hit second order equations either this week or next
ya, but I'm having trouble getting P(x) or f(x) whatever you want to use. I thought f(x) needed to be just a function of only x and I can't get that.

wizword

Banned
Need help big time. Counter Example for this problem. Prove this is false. What number do I plug in. Is it safe to assume that two empty sets when they intersect each other produce a false result. Confusing question.

A &#8745;
d096fc15d57854ec89d746709b02e52e.png
= A for all A

How do I prove this is false.

Feep

Banned
That first one is a plane in 3-D space.

That second one appears to be an ellipsoid... x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1 would be a sphere, so I assume it is shifted to the left by 1 unit on the x-axis, and also stretched on the x-axis by a factor of 4. Not 100% sure, though.

Edit: Stretched by a factor of 2, not 4. My bad.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I have a question regarding differentiation :

when differentiating a little more difficult functions is there a step by step approach one should take or is it always situational?

allow me to elaborate

lets just imagine some arbitrary function , f(x) = ( 2x^2 * cos(3x)^5) / ( sqrt (1/x)*sin*2x )

what should one start with? Can you start by differentiating the numerator and denominator respectively with the help of the chain rule and then proceed to use the quotient rule?

Feep said:
That first one is a plane in 3-D space.

That second one appears to be an ellipsoid... x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1 would be a sphere, so I assume it is shifted to the left by 1 unit on the x-axis, and also stretched on the x-axis by a factor of 4. Not 100% sure, though.

thank you.

i couldnt find any information on ellipsoids shifted on their x axis though, thats why i am not sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsoid

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Tater Tot said:
How do I get rid of the decimals?

3+2.5(z+2)=4.5z-6

You can turn them into fractions. 2.5 is 5/2. So 3 + 5z/2 + 5 = 9z/2 - 6 then it is 8 + 5z/2 = 9z/2 - 6 then 14 = 4z/2 then 14 = 2z then z = 7.

Also COOLIO IS A FOOLIO.

Feep

Banned
Corky said:

when differentiating a little more difficult functions is there a step by step approach one should take or is it always situational?

allow me to elaborate

lets just imagine some arbitrary function , f(x) = ( 2x^2 * cos(3x)^5) / ( sqrt (1/x)*sin*2x )

what should one start with? Can you start by differentiating the numerator and denominator respectively with the help of the chain rule and then proceed to use the quotient rule?
It's fairly step-by-step. You always do the "outermost" operation first. In this case, the '/' is first, so quotient rule is numero uno...though I hate the quotient rule, I'll usually flip the exponent and use product rule instead. Then, when you need du or dv, you use the appropriate rule on that part of the function, and so on and so forth.

If you're familiar with computer science, it's a recursive process.

Corky said:

allow me to elaborate

You can also use logarithms too - take the log of both sides and simplify by log properties. It then turns into addition and subtraction, and you can implicitly differentiate from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom