• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

user friendly said:
Were you expecting more from a GT4 model? I mean PD clearly stated that they were GT4 models.... they weren't lying about it.
Yeah, it's written on the back of the GT5 box: 800 low-polygon GT4 old-school PS2 cars in HD.

adelante

Shogun PaiN said:
Maybe I haven't paid much attention to them before but fuck me these LOL smilies are out in full force today.

15 on the last page alone.
It helps further reinforce their argument, silly!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
CozMick said:
Yes, you can avoid standard cars for the entire game, they are set up in the game as "used cars"
That makes it sound a lot better. Mingling the two would have been a disaster. As long as the game clearly informs the player of the difference, it makes a lot more sense.

Those standard cars look absolutely awful. Really shows how much was hidden by poor image quality on PS2. I noticed a lot of the texture issues, but it never stood out like this.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Well i guess the smiley's are a bit more tolerable than just posting LOLOL LAWL ROFLS and AHAHAHAHAHA

Now that would make some people here look crazy as cat shit.

Fallout-NL said:
You guys ever get around to discussing physics and the actual driving?

After spending around three hours with the game I can say that the physics are absolutely on point (Driving aids off, PRO wheel settings). Forza can't really compare, it feels so stiff compared to this. You can really feel the small nouances of driving at the limit of your car. Over/Understeering feels very real. I only played Forza with a controller though so take that with a grain of salt.

Also low poly track geometry? Hell no! :lol

Some low res shadows and tearing are obvious but do not really affect the amazing overall package.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
schennmu said:
After spending around three hours with the game I can say that the physics are absolutely on point (Driving aids off, PRO wheel settings). Forza can't really compare, it feels so stiff compared to this. You can really feel the small nouances of driving at the limit of your car. Over/Understeering feels very real. I only played Forza with a controller though so take that with a grain of salt.
Wrong thread for "grain of salt" talk. Take a definitive stance already, you're either on one side or the other! ;)

XiaNaphryz said:
Wrong thread for "grain of salt" talk. Take a definitive stance already, you're either on one side or the other! ;)

I think my post makes quite clear that I prefer GT's driving model :D. Also MS fucked up by having such weird wheel support on the 360. I'm using my old PS2 Driving Force wheel and it works like a charm with GT5.

Pepto

Banned
SCHUEY F1 said:
I would be happy if Turn 10 could just get close to the same lighting thats in GT5.
mt_large_ForzaKinect01.jpg.jpg

hu0cjt.jpg

Dreams-Visions said:
Forza will also always be recognized as presenting a more plastic looking car experience. almost toy-like when compared directly to GT5's well-waxed, high gloss finish.

Forza needs to take some time out to figure out how they can better their lighting engine. GT's is ridiculously better. the rest is kinda even, IMO.

yeah, I don't think Forza 3 looks bad at all, but their style is so blah. Even Forza 1 against GT4 showed how PD was better even with lesser hardware. And keeping it on the Xbox 360 alone, both PGR games are much nicer to look at (though, I'd say the PGR games are nicer than GT games too, but it is my favorite racing series and I'm hardly being neutral).

Pepto said:
[]http://assets.megaton.co.uk/assets/articles//a/1/1/5/8/3/4/8/mt_large_ForzaKinect01.jpg.jpg[/IMG]
[]http://i56.tinypic.com/hu0cjt.jpg[/IMG]

You do know that's not even photo mode right? It's a pure and simple CG render.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
schennmu said:
Also low poly track geometry? Hell no! :lol

Some low res shadows and tearing are obvious but do not really affect the amazing overall package.

Track geometry isn't really one of GT's strong points. Never has been.

circuitdelasarthe2009.jpg

grandvalleyeast.jpg

Pepto said:
Are the standards low poly, sure. But anyone can take a shitty picture like that to show flaws. If you actually know how to take pictures this really isnt much of an issue. And if you dont take pictures, seeing these in motion are definitely not an issue. I took these in GT4.

cops1smallerfu8.jpg

cops2smallerdb0.jpg

chespace

I knew the standard cars would be low-poly but I think it's the low-res textures that are most jarring for me.

Oh well, 200 cars it is then.

Chrange

Banned
Firewire said:
:lol

Just playing with you Che! :D
Man, that reminds me of all the 'THEY LIED" stuff over posting pics from photomode as 'gameplay' shots.

Kind of funny to see some of the same people so irate over that now posting pics from GT5's photomode and saying that's what it looks like "in-game" lol

Also now ironically hilarious - the correlation between the people dismissing the low-res GT5 pic and those who continually posted the poor Forza 3 shot of some blue car...a Miata maybe?

Mr_Brit

Banned
What I don't get is why PD didn't just make more premium models with the time, money and effort they spent on upressing the standard cars? Surely most people would prefer 300 premium cars with fully and highly detailed models, proper and unique sounds, higher quality physics and damage modelling over 200 premiums and 800 GT4 cars.

Sickboy007 said:
the biggest problem is that they're not properly filtered. they literally took the models and put them in the game.
Thats what its looking like, you would have thought they could have up-converted them a bit to smooth the edges or something.

CozMick

Banned
Fallout-NL said:
Exactly what are you implying?

That Prologue and the TT demo handled amazingly, so GT5 will also, which should be the only reason to purchase a driving sim, not trackside textures or geometry.

Chrange

Banned
CozMick said:
That Prologue and the TT demo handled amazingly, so GT5 will also, which should be the only reason to purchase a driving sim, not trackside textures or geometry.
Yeah, it's so vitally important that everyone's been discussing that in the GT5 Handling and Physics thread. :lol

chespace

CozMick said:

Forza games have always handled amazingly as well. What didn't you like about the way the cars drove?

h3ro

chespace said:
I knew the standard cars would be low-poly but I think it's the low-res textures that are most jarring for me.

Oh well, 200 cars it is then.

Since you're acting like your still at T10, how about some more VIP cars? thanks.

CozMick

Banned
Chrange said:
Yeah, it's so vitally important that everyone's been discussing that in the GT5 Handling and Physics thread. :lol

I was unaware that this was a graphics "versus"

I thought Forza 3 had already lost that battle (going from past posts) so I tried to change it up a little. :D

CozMick

Banned
chespace said:
Forza games have always handled amazingly as well. What didn't you like about the way the cars drove?

Forza 2 handled great (I spent a good few hundred hours playing it and also my most played game this generation)

Forza 3 not so much, the unavoidable assists and floatyness just didn't do it for me.

whoops double post

szaromir

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
What I don't get is why PD didn't just make more premium models with the time, money and effort they spent on upressing the standard cars? Surely most people would prefer 300 premium cars with fully and highly detailed models, proper and unique sounds, higher quality physics and damage modelling over 200 premiums and 800 GT4 cars.
That's assuming they upres'd the GT4 cars, which doesn't seem to be the case.

chespace

h3ro said:
Since you're acting like your still at T10, how about some more VIP cars? thanks.

I'm acting like a racing game fan nitpicking GT5. I really am looking forward to the game. Just disappointed that standard cars turned out the way they did.

Also, there are some really bizarre design decisions re: damage in GT5. Apparently, you need to level up in GT Life to unlock more advance stages of visual damage. JUST VISUAL DAMAGE. There is no mechanical damage in the game.

WTF?

Ploid 3.0

I look at the standard + premium thing as a fighter mega all-stars type thing where you have Morrigan with the same sprites as she has always had + the new character with better sprites. Do I want to sacrifice 5 characters for 1 higher sprite detail character? Gameplay wise, no. I'm going to utilize every car that benefits me, especially since this thing is like a rpg. I might even move up quicker because of it, and I don't use chase cam so it won't matter anyway. I'm glad they were able to give us a ton of cars, this is how it turned out, and like the guy that has the game said, it's not that big of a deal outside of no cockpit, and the viewing angles.

Elios83

chespace said:
I'm acting like a racing game fan nitpicking GT5. I really am looking forward to the game. Just disappointed that standard cars turned out the way they did.

Also, there are some really bizarre design decisions re: damage in GT5. Apparently, you need to level up in GT Life to unlock more advance stages of visual damage. JUST VISUAL DAMAGE. There is no mechanical damage in the game.

WTF?

There is mechanical damage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XINuNcmXfLI&feature=player_embedded

LCfiner

Mr_Brit said:

the thing is no one here really knows just how many more premium cars could have been made if the standard cars were dumped entirely.

maybe it means 300 premiums. maybe it only means 250. that delta in the effort required between cleaning up the standards and creating new premiums is only known by PD.

my own preference for GT6 (should it be on PS3) is for them to dump the standards and get the premium number up to around 400 or more. I think it's fine for GT5 to have this transition in models but it shouldn't be something they need to hold onto for a new game.

AndyD

aka andydumi
chespace said:

WTF?

There is mechanical as posted by many.

And visual and mechanical go hand in hand so that you don't have a busted car visually that still drives at top speed because the mechanical is not on.

Essentially the damage starts at off and gets progressively stronger as you level up. Sort of a difficulty progression in the career from easy to difficult.

But I guess you are right, this would be better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UArtuEj8Ng

chespace said:

WTF?
Che, puttin' in work.:lol
Mechanical damage is in. Sorry to dissapoint.
http://www.youtube.com/user/christheimperator#p/u/7/9k2XS9b0DsM

Yoboman said:
interesting.

seems people have gone into overdrive in defending GT5's honor here. I think that given the years (literally) of heavy critique of Forza 3' graphics and issues, critique and honesty is just as warranted here. It's certainly not a perfect game...and no game is. And if people had no problems dishing it out since Forza 3's launch, they really shouldn't have a problem taking it now.

that being said, the GT5 experience still looks clearly better. again, it has something to do with the lighting to me and it always has. PD just did a brilliant job with that element, and hopefully their competitors take notes. Because as I said earlier, Forza's lighting often times made the game look much more toyish when compared directly to GT5 Prologue and beyond.

Metalmurphy said:
Also, how hard is it for you people to accept that the game has 200 cars, with 800 GT4 cars as bonuses.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

oh_wow.jpg

I know you're like committed to the protection of this game. But c'mon, son. It gets just as tiring to see complaints as it does to see people constantly trying to spin shit gold necklaces. "as bonuses?" really? the fuck outta here with that. the game has some flaws and a few eyesores mixed in the brilliance. it's neither a reason to be a ball of negativity towards the game nor a moment to engage marshal law and dismiss all the concerns as if they don't exist. as if any of this is going to *really* affect anyone's enjoyment of the game at the end of the day anyway.

games can exist with flaws and be fine. THAT is the point. Those who can't accept that weren't buying the game anyway.

swear to god, there's nothing worse than watching fanboys operate from post to post.

LCfiner said:
the thing is no one here really knows just how many more premium cars could have been made if the standard cars were dumped entirely.

maybe it means 300 premiums. maybe it only means 250. that delta in the effort required between cleaning up the standards and creating new premiums is only known by PD.

my own preference for GT6 (should it be on PS3) is for them to dump the standards and get the premium number up to around 400 or more. I think it's fine for GT5 to have this transition in models but it shouldn't be something they need to hold onto for a new game.
I agree with this. Considering the quality of the current engine and robust online included in GT5, it certainly seems like it should be possible for them to spend the next couple of years focusing primarily on the AI and premium cars. And maybe the physics? I'm hearing mixed reports about that.

I'm still very apathetic to heavy damage, so maybe they can save that for GT7 or something. let's improve the cars and AI and go from there.

Top Bottom