• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixlBit Podcast - Developer Special with Jimmy Soga of XSEED

PixlBit's latest developer special features Jimmy Soga, Product Manager for XSEED Games. Jimmy walks the crew through the entire localization process from choosing titles to bring over straight up to marketing them once they are available.

Jimmy also discusses both Half-Minute Hero and Ju-On: The Grudge as well as a variety of other titles in the pipe and some which have already been released. The move of Arc Rise Fantasia to Ignition was hinted, and now that the news is live, it's obvious what Jimmy meant here.

Jimmy also addresses Retro Game Challenge 2, and the unique localization efforts required to bring the original title to America. If you want 2, go buy 1 now!

Link to article | MP3 | iTunes | Podcast Feed

ethelred

Not everything needs to be a podcast. You got the chance to interview a guy at a publisher -- that's cool. Type it up like folks used to do in ye olde days when they did an interview, and I'd be happy to read the article, but having to listen to the whole thing is way too much of a time commitment.

mollipen

Not everything needs to be on a website. You got the chance to interview a guy at a publisher -- that's cool. Sit down with him, do it as an audio interview like in the olde days of radio, and I'd be happy to listen, because the personality of the interviewer and interviewee really come out that way. But, having to sit there and read the whole interview as just a bunch of text on my screen is way too much of a time commitment.

ethelred

shidoshi said:
Not everything needs to be on a website. You got the chance to interview a guy at a publisher -- that's cool. Sit down with him, do it as an audio interview like in the olde days of radio, and I'd be happy to listen, because the personality of the interviewer and interviewee really come out that way. But, having to sit there and read the whole interview as just a bunch of text on my screen is way too much of a time commitment.

Well, I certainly wouldn't mind if the print publication that employs you as a writer and graphic designer decided to go audio-only.

Anyway, not sure exactly why you felt it necessary to offer one of your typically pointless and contrarian interjections. It's true that most stuff doesn't need to be in a podcast format and unless they're being done by professionals who are really skilled at conveying stuff in an entertaining verbal format like most radio hosts (which is a rare skill), it just ends up dull and time consuming. Bottom line is that I can read through an interview much faster than a bunch of guys can talk, and I don't have to stop listening to my music to do it. So it's a friendly suggestion to folks that if they want to do an audio interview, at least go through the effort of typing it up, too, because there people out there that would rather just speedily read it.

I'm also not really interested in the personality of the interviewee. I look for personality if I'm reading a book for entertainment or playing a game for entertainment, but if it's an interview, my goal is to get information, not personality or entertainment. And the fastest and most efficient method for conveying information is the one I prefer, not the method that multiplies the time commitment by 12.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
ethelred said:
Well, I certainly wouldn't mind if the print publication that employs you as a writer and graphic designer decided to go audio-only.

SHOTS FIRED.

shots.jpg

interesting interview! Happy to hear that the PSP's move towards downloadable gaming is opening up the market to more niche games/ original IP.

flamesofchaos said:
PixlBit's latest developer special features Jimmy Soga, Product Manager for XSEED Games. Jimmy walks the crew through the entire localization process from choosing titles to bring over straight up to marketing them once they are available.

Jimmy also discusses both Half-Minute Hero and Ju-On: The Grudge as well as a variety of other titles in the pipe and some which have already been released. The move of Arc Rise Fantasia to Ignition was hinted, and now that the news is live, it's obvious what Jimmy meant here.

Jimmy also addresses Retro Game Challenge 2, and the unique localization efforts required to bring the original title to America. If you want 2, go buy 1 now!

Link to article | MP3 | iTunes | Podcast Feed

Retro Game Challenge is $20. Buy it!

mollipen

ethelred said:

I know you think I was probably just being an ass, and you're maybe like 23% correct. But the other 71% of me was being serious (with the remaining 6% unashamedly sexy) in my opinion on the matter. The reason I basically just re-wrote almost word for word what you wrote was because I found the way you wrote what you did rather silly.

Some people did an interview, and they did said interview as a podcast: did you really need to come in here and say "I don't have time for your silly podcast, you creatons"?

Maybe that's not how you intended it to come off, but that's certainly how it did. (Not helped at all of course by your reply where you go on to say how most podcasts end up "dull and time consuming".) Instead of copping the attitude that you did, maybe you could have said something like, "I appreciate you guys doing the interview, but would it also be possible to get a text version up on your site to go along with it?" Instead of, you know, telling them how much their effort will utterly inconvenience you.

And, just for you, I'll do a podcast of dramatic readings of my next batch of reviews, just so that you can tell me how you won't listen to it.

Raife

The Retro Game Challenge stuff starts at 22:40. That was what I was most excited to hear about. The talk about the localization process was fairly interesting too. The podcast is definitely worth listening to if you have the time.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
He seemed pretty optimistic about RGC2 while still tiptoeing on the sales issue.

It also seemed to me by his wording that the sales barrier may be Namco-Bandai's expectations, not XSEED's.

Top Bottom