• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EEDAR/Pachter on Oct US sales: Wii>PS3>360

EXGN

Source: PS3Cente

Just saw it on N4G, not sure if the data comes from somewhere else? Anyways, searched EEDAR and nothing came up.

EEDAR
Wii - 635K
PS3 - 320K
360 - 280K

Pachter
Wii - 550K
PS3 - 380K
360 - 340K

EEDAR software:
Uncharted 2 - 600K #1 for October
Borderlands - 300K
Brutal Legend - 200K

I wonder if the Borderlands sales are counting both consoles or only one of the consoles. If it is counting both then it doesn't seem to have done well.

FrankT

Calcaneus said:

:lol

Anyhow, as I've expected November will bring us full circle. I also believe Borderlands could be a wee bit higher for the month(on 360 alone 300k+). That is a hell of number for Wii from EEDAR.

Walshicus

What happened to sell that many Wiis?

crimsonheadGCN said:
I wonder if the Borderlands sales is counting both consoles or only one console. If it is both then it doesn't seem to have done well.
These *are* just EEDAR's predictions, right?

EXGN

Sir Fragula said:

Price cut + Wii Fit+ + it's the fucking Wii. EEDAR's numbers look off to me though, I'm leaning more towards Pachter's.

Sir Fragula said:

These *are* just EEDAR's predictions, right?

Yeah. I'm was just saying if these predictions turn out to be accurate and if it turns out to be the combination of the two console versions.

MattNY

Chakan said:
I wonder if the price drop will make wii's numbers rise like that. In Japan it didn't help much.

I would say it is a result of that myself. I would say our market is different enough from Japan's to not expect the result to be the same in this scenario.

Chakan said:
I wonder if the price drop will make wii's numbers rise like that. In Japan it didn't help much.

The stagnating Japanese sales had nothing to do with price and everything to do with lack of compelling software.

Not so much in America.

goomba

Banned
Even without the pricedrop i think the Wii would have beaten the 360 and PS3. Its Christmas.

Wii Sports Resort will comeback big time.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Those seem like reasonable estimates.

If Pachter's PS3 number were the more accurate it would be a good hold from September (i.e. roughly same weekly average as Sept but over 4 weeks instead of 5). There's a fair difference between his and EEDAR's though.

It would be most pleasing if UC2 did something like that number. We'll see. Would be a big big improvement on the first (which obviously was launching into less than ideal conditions).

Chakan said:

According to Nintendo the pricecut underperformed in Japan vs other territories so I'd imagine it did do quite a bit better in NA.

gamergirly said:
Both the Wii and the PS3 had price cuts.

Technically Wii's is in its second month or so, it came at the tail end of Sept, right? PS3's is a month older.

Kyoufu

If Uncharted 2 really does get top spot in NPD's software chart for the month then it'll be a huge success story for Sony and Naughty Dog, considering that the first one didn't even chart in the top 10.

gamergirly said:
Both the Wii and the PS3 had price cuts. I wonder who will benefit the most from this

I think the PS3, definetly.

We have to think that the Wii was selling 20 mil a year, while the PS3 was selling maybe 10? It's really almost impossible keeping up a pace of 20 million units a year.

DeaconKnowledge said:
The stagnating Japanese sales had nothing to do with price and everything to do with lack of compelling software.

Not so much in America.

What compelling Wii software came out too boost sales?

Last October for comparison:

October NPD said:
- Wii: 803K
- DS: 491K
- Xbox 360: 371K
- PSP: 193K
- PS3: 190K
- PS2: 136K

I really doubt the 360 is going to be down 100k YoY. If we realistically project a 700-800k November, It should sell 350-400k in October given holiday trends.

Worth remembering that Wii did a ridiculous 803K last October, so even the biggest predictions/projections don't have Wii in crazy territory.

Evlar

Banned
I'm uncertain the Wii price drop will have as great an impact as Pachter & co. appear to believe. My guess at this moment is that the general order of things will be as they say (Wii > PS3 > 360) but the gap from Wii to PS3 will be quite a bit smaller. Last month PS3 proved the effectiveness of price drops when a product has been constrained by price considerations for an extended time. I think it is wrong to apply those results to another console when there is little in common between consumers' perceptions of each.

Wii's loss of sales momentum is only partially due to the price, and the problems with the price are more complex than PS3's. Perceived lack of exciting new games is the more important issue and I see nothing to address it through the October reporting period. Further, Wii's technological disadvantage is becoming more and more important as the penetration of HD display technology continues- I eagerly argued that it was a minimal factor among the population at large when Wii and the other consoles were launched. It's more important now, and will continue to grow in importance year by year. I would not say this means Wii cannot regain footing: this competitive pressure in the form of tech comparison with other options will still be a secondary factor in the near term (but continually growing). It DOES mean the Wii's price drop was too small to be a complete success as it failed to push the Wii down cheaper than competing products with better tech.

But to clarify, both of these interrelated issues (price point and technical obsolescence) are less vital to success in the short term than the primary flaw: few new, exciting games that either are exclusive or highlight the strengths of the console versus competitors. November will be better.

If the 360 and PS3 are within 40k of each other... then damn, this holiday is going to be a lot closer than I thought between them.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
BattleMonkey said:
What compelling Wii software came out too boost sales?

Wii Fit Plus.

Wii Sports Resort will have strong sales too, I'm sure, despite being released three months prior.

Walshicus

donny2112 said:
Oct. 31. The end of the NPD period doesn't often happen at the actual end of the month, but this month was an exception.
They do 4, 4, 5 week rotations don't they? I guess they end their weeks on a Saturday - seems odd.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sir Fragula said:
They do 4, 4, 5 week rotations don't they? I guess they end their weeks on a Saturday - seems odd.

They must start weeks on Sunday. [shrug] Seems normal.

Busaiku

Evlar said:
I'm uncertain the Wii price drop will have as great an impact as Pachter & co. appear to believe.
It's important to note that last month, the average price of Wii systems sold turned out to be $218, despite the price drop only occurring for about one week of what was tracked.
That would definitely suggest that the price drop had quite an apparent impact.

hc2

On October 31st, Saturday, Walmart and Amazon sold 1000's of 360's with the $199-$100 giftcard/credit= $99 sale they had. So I imagine the 360 got a little boost at the end.
I know all the Walmarts and Amazon were selling out as fast as they posted them on Saturday. And people were reporting the Walmart stores were sold out. I guess they would count those sales in the October results.

Top Bottom