• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (Wii, Mistwalker x Nintendo) Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Just that description of the battle system makes it one of my most eagerly anticipated RPGs. :D

It does sound like pointer controls. Can't complain!

duckroll said:
I don't really think you can draw any conclusions from that. It just illustrates that the enemies are targeting the first character they see. There is nothing in the article which even hints at environments being particularly important, and storyboards are just storyboards.

If you follow the annotated text, the purpose of the storyboard is to show how the "pointer" and "gathering" systems work. What is being illustrated and explained in the text is that the game's core system in battles is who the enemies are focused on, and that they clearly have priorities in terms of targeting. The player can also see who the enemies are targeting via pointer lines, similar to FFXII. This allows the player to make strategic decisions in redirecting the focus of the enemies with a skill called "gathering".

That's really all that can be and should be understood by this entry. There is nothing mentioned about whether the battles are going to be in phases, whether it is entirely realtime or partially turn based, or whether attacks are decided from a menu or if it's an action RPG. There is also nothing to indicate there is actual line of sight or environmental interactivity in battles.

I'm not saying there isn't, but I'm saying assuming such will likely lead to future disappointment. It is amazing how we are actually even discussing the battle system without having seen a single screenshot from the game. The marketing in this game is amazing. :p

Like I said before, the blue lines are NOT "line of sight". They are visible lines showing who the enemies are targeting in a battle. They will be visible in the game itself too. They're called "pointers".

Ah, weird.
I read the little notes you put above the pictures, but not the rest of it.

duckroll

One thing I hope for in the game is that it isn't yet another JRPG where you control the main character, with no ability to swap to other characters, and everyone else is AI driven or script driven. I've already played Infinite Undiscovery, FFXIII, and Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow. And from the sounds of things Xenoblade will be similar. Not that I have anything against controlling just one character, but honestly, variety is good. :p

thefro

duckroll said:
I don't know what gives you that idea at all.

16gl8o8.jpg

This seems to clearly show the enemies using cover at least. Notice the monster in the lower-right doesn't have a pointer because he's hiding behind the wall.

Maybe it's just for style, but at least 5 of those storyboards show someone using cover. Many of the characters behind the walls have ranged weapons like bows.

I think there's clearly something more to the battle system than just a tank character being able to draw the focus of enemy attacks. You're right that this isn't confirmation of anything, but that and Sakaguchi's previous blog comments seem to point strongly in this direction.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So.... it's like Final Fantasy 12

090706_ffxii.jpg

Though when I first saw those large arrows, I thought they were motion-based attacks, like, ya know, swing the wiimote that way to swing your sword at this enemy

duckroll

AceBandage said:
Well, a system more like VC or RoF would be cool too.

Yes, those are also not action RPGs! I'm all for AP driven turn based gameplay mixed with "realtime" elements. My worry is that to make a good action RPG, you need strong action mechanics. It is something Mistwalker lacks in their design experience. Both Away and Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow have very poor "action" gameplay. I enjoyed them for... other reasons. :lol

heringer

duckroll said:
One thing I hope for in the game is that it isn't yet another JRPG where you control the main character, with no ability to swap to other characters, and everyone else is AI driven or script driven. I've already played Infinite Undiscovery, FFXIII, and Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow. And from the sounds of things Xenoblade will be similar. Not that I have anything against controlling just one character, but honestly, variety is good. :p
On the other hand, I'm currently playing Lost Odyssey and I think I'm done with traditional turn based combat. :|

heringer

thefro said:
16gl8o8.jpg

This seems to clearly show the enemies using cover at least. Notice the monster in the lower-right doesn't have a pointer because he's hiding behind the wall.

Maybe it's just for style, but at least 5 of those storyboards show someone using cover. Many of the characters behind the walls have ranged weapons like bows.

I think there's clearly something more to the battle system than just a tank character being able to draw the focus of enemy attacks. You're right that this isn't confirmation of anything, but that and Sakaguchi's previous blog comments seem to point strongly in this direction.
I think they would make a big fuss about being able to use the environments. Definitely just for style.

heringer

duckroll said:
Turn based doesn't have to be traditional. :p
True. Makes you think if Mistwalker can pull off a good turn based combat without being traditional though. :lol

Threi said:
Lost Odyssey is slow as fuck though...
Yeah, it really is.

I'm liking it though. The Dreams are a nice read and Kaim is probably my favorite JRPG main character since Vagrant Story.

duckroll

heringer said:
True. Makes you think if Mistwalker can pull off a good turn based combat without being traditional though. :lol

The actual gameplay mechanics in Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and ASH are well thought out, and there are some original ideas there which I enjoyed. What Mistwalker or the studios they work with lack is the extra polish and execution which makes something go from good to great. In any even, my concern is just that having played almost every single Mistwalker game made (except for Blue Dragon Plus), I can say with confidence that when they're dealing with a turn based system, the battles are a lot more fun and well executed than when they attempt action gameplay.

duckroll said:
The blue lines are NOT "line of sight". They are visible lines showing who the enemies are targeting in a battle. They will be visible in the game itself too. They're called "pointers".

Even when they come out of the enemies eyes? :\

It looks like there is a cover system to me, based around both drawing fire and using the environment. Not a system for moving and shooting behind crates.

duckroll

Graphics Horse said:
Even when they come out of the enemies eyes? :\

It looks like there is a cover system to me, based around both drawing fire and using the environment. Not a system for moving and shooting behind crates.

I'm just telling you what the article says. Feel free to speculate on what other features the battles could have, but I'm clarifying what they are saying and explaining.

Well it certainly sounds like an interesting battle system. I'll just wait until I see it in action before I can decide what to think about it.

heringer

ivysaur12 said:
They're so close to actual screens...but they're not :(
It's like they're saying "look, we can't show you screens, but I can draw you a picture to show what the game looks like!".

It's a slap in the face really. :lol

Vinci

Danish
Looks like an aggro management system to me. Obviously if someone's around the corner, they shouldn't be able to target you. This isn't especially impressive at any rate, as the majority of MMOs work on the same concept of line-of-sight for aggro. At least decent ones do.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
ivysaur12 said:
They're so close to actual screens...but they're not :(
Just one more blog left before the slots are full. I see one of two things happening: they have a site reboot a week or so after their last unveil or they give us page two which updates slower and the unveil waits for E3. I expect the latter, but hope for the former.

duckroll

heringer said:
It's like they're saying "look, we can't show you screens, but I can draw you a picture to show what the game looks like!".

It's a slap in the face really. :lol

More JRPG fans should be used to this. Every year at TGS, there are fans who literally draw out what stuff looks like in the various trailers S-E shows in their closed theatres. :lol

heringer

duckroll said:
More JRPG fans should be used to this. Every year at TGS, there are fans who literally draw out what stuff looks like in the various trailers S-E shows in their closed theatres. :lol

To be fair I'm getting the feeling Mistwalker really wants to show their game but Nintendo won't let them. :lol

duckroll said:

"A NEW FFXIII CHARACTER. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE A DRAWING OF THEM."

Those were the days...

:lol

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Fimbulvetr said:
The combat looks like it has potential, but there were no tigers in that art.

I am disappoint.
Dude, would ANYONE pay attention to anything OTHER than the tiger in the picture? It would just totally distract from what the blog was trying to say.

duckroll

heringer said:
To be fair I'm getting the feeling Mistwalker really wants to show their game but Nintendo won't let them. :lol

I've heard that it is entirely Mistwalker's decision that no one saw any gameplay screenshots or gameplay footage of Blue Dragon until 3 months before the game's release at TGS.

I don't know what I think of the battle system so far. Not a fan of the focus on "pre-battle planning" but I need more info than that to write it off. I just hope it resembles a turn-based battle system in some way.

I'll change some stuff, because this scenario looks like a basic World of Warcraft fight.

duckroll said:
The battle begins.
http://i39.tinypic.com/x23rqh.jpg[IMG]

The enemies have noticed the main character ([B]bear form Druid[/B])
[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/2ypjbyb.jpg[IMG]

The "pointers" are centered on the Druid
[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/10ckl1d.jpg[IMG]

The Druid attacks the enemies with his claws.
[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/mr4dx2.jpg[IMG]

A priest begins charging a spell for casting.
[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/ou16xv.jpg[IMG]

The enemy "pointers" shift to the priest to show their change in target.
[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/16gl8o8.jpg[IMG]

The Druid uses "roar" to make the enemies target him instead.
[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2nvh3ev.jpg[IMG]

The priest's spell is cast successfully, engulfing the Druid's body.
[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/aa8483.jpg[IMG]

The Druid finishes the enemies off, while being protected by the priest's shield.
[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/okzk8z.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
It would be pretty cool if there is multiplayer option, it will make it more engaging.

[spoiler]Where is the tiger in all this...? :([/spoiler]

ILikeFeet

Banned
I like the sound of this system. but it makes me question how we will control various characters. personally I hope it's like FF12 but in real time (assign ai to the party members you aren't actively controlling, but able to override them if needed)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
*reads about battle system*

Sounds like Ar Tonelico on a higher tactical level. Fucking sweet, consider me signed the fuck up!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It would be lovely if Nintendo were putting a lot of weight behind the financing of this project. I so want it to look good. Pretty please?

duckroll

Some short points about what they shared today:

- The game's battle system is a mix of realtime action and command input

- They wanted to create a brand sort of battle system for RPGs, so there was a lot of trial and error involved

- Aside from "Gathering" another important system in the game is the "Magic Circle" system which sounds like an area effect buff - there are different types healing, flame, etc

- The battles are in real time, but the action can be paused for the player to input different commands and change the tactics and AI settings of party members

duckroll

MCD said:
so it's like tales?

It sounds like it could be like Tales, or it could be like FFXII. Definitely leaning towards more of Tales because the way it is described, it seems to certainly have action elements which FFXII does not. It's meant to be a system which has the advantages of real time combat, as well as command input battles.

duckroll

dsister44 said:
so its basically, a bioware combat system, a la dragon age and kotor

I don't think we really have enough information to say if it's more like FFXII/Bioware or if it's more like Tales at the moment. It's hard to tell when all they are releasing are concept artworks and vague descriptions of stuff. The way it is described though, theres' definitely an emphasis on action while also ensuring that players who are not good with action games are able to play more tactically. It could very well be like Tales, or it could be something completely different.

Here's food for thought: We don't even know if the game uses encounters, or if it is seamless.

MCD

duckroll said:
It sounds like it could be like Tales, or it could be like FFXII. Definitely leaning towards more of Tales because the way it is described, it seems to certainly have action elements which FFXII does not. It's meant to be a system which has the advantages of real time combat, as well as command input battles.
if it's anything like tales then count me in.

time to suck gooch's cock...again.

Morokh

sprsk said:
That looks badass but I doubt it would ever look that intense.
Well that's really just a matter of using or not more dynamic camera angles than usually in JRPG

I just really hope they dont go for a realistic style like you would hope to see on PS3 or 360 but something simpler or more artistic that can fit the Wii lesser graphic capabilities better

Amir0x

Banned
from all the artwork we have, why would you think they'd be going realistic? Seem like an awful waste of artwork if they're not going to try to, er, artistically realize that general direction in the game.

And of course Mistwalker hasn't made a realistic looking game yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom