• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I started playing FF8. Does it ever get good? bjork: avoid topic, it's spoilery

bjork

I just fought a dinosaur for like an hour, and then some big bee or something. But getting to that point from the beginning of the game took me two separate sessions. I feel like there's something I'm missing here.

Put a GF on, link magic to your stats, ok. But she tells you "put this dinosaur to sleep" and then when you do, it wakes up when you attack it? Maybe I missed a step or something. I killed him, but it took forever.

Also, regarding the draw option: I can basically sit there and draw and max out all my magics, but I don't have to use those because I can just draw and cast ones from the enemies? What?

Anyway, I'm not real far in, if someone can give me some kind of tips to enjoy this better (other than "take it out and put in [other game]"), that'd be spiffy.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It does for a bit, but after the first disk swap it got to dull to keep playing IMO. But that was 6 years ago, so I may very well feel differently about it now.

Not the story, the game is okay if you actually understand the draw system well enough.

Also I think only physical attacks wake up sleeping enemies and magic is okay.

It gets EXTREMELY fun when you start playing Triple Triad and never look back.

Also, don't really use magic much. Congrats on beating the dinosaur early on, though - that's really not at all required of you and it's a pretty tough foe.

Also, magic damage won't wake sleeping monsters, but physical damage will.

FF8 is great.....it gets really great when you can play Triple Triad

edit: beaten....but yeah, Triple Triad is the shit

The story climaxes in the opening cinema. The gameplay is fun but you need to be told how to play because the game is really fucking bad at doing that. It's not my favourite FF by any means.

vazel

Banned
Story and gameplay isn't as good as other Final Fantasies but I really like the art design and characters(except for emo Squall).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
badcrumble said:
It gets EXTREMELY fun when you start playing Triple Triad and never look back.

Also, don't really use magic much. Congrats on beating the dinosaur early on, though - that's really not at all required of you and it's a pretty tough foe.

Also, magic damage won't wake sleeping monsters, but physical damage will.
Why am I only hearing this now D:

Speevy

Banned
I'm glad the PSN allows us to have these debates all over again instead of having to get everything off ebay.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, it's pretty good - it's just you did something wrong.

And lol, people are just jumping the bandwagon ever since Spoony did the review (and even then he said FFX is worse XD)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
every final fantasy i've tried has never gotten good.

Final Fantasy III (some SNES one with robots walking in the snow at the begining)
FFVII (i just don't get it... where's the fun? and the graphics are painful to look at now)
Some FF on the DS (lost my save data somehow and couldn't be bothered starting over again. i was getting bored anyway.)

they're all just so.... meh.

Already this thread is filled with anti-FF8 fanboyism.

I can't accurately answer your question because everyone has different tastes, but what you did is something that not only isn't required but is actually recommended to do later on. Play a bit more of the actual story before making a judgment.

hamchan

bjork said:
I just fought a dinosaur for like an hour, and then some big bee or something. But getting to that point from the beginning of the game took me two separate sessions. I feel like there's something I'm missing here.

Put a GF on, link magic to your stats, ok. But she tells you "put this dinosaur to sleep" and then when you do, it wakes up when you attack it? Maybe I missed a step or something. I killed him, but it took forever.

Also, regarding the draw option: I can basically sit there and draw and max out all my magics, but I don't have to use those because I can just draw and cast ones from the enemies? What?

Anyway, I'm not real far in, if someone can give me some kind of tips to enjoy this better (other than "take it out and put in [other game]"), that'd be spiffy.

You didn't have to beat the dinosaur but good job for doing so, I never bothered with it.
When I draw I always pick to stockpile instead of casting it from the enemies. I think the cast option is useless, I'd rather stockpile a crapload of magic so I can use it whenever instead of when a certain enemy is around. Also, since magic is linked to stats you might as well max the magic to max your stats right?

One tip I can give you is to lower any expectations for the story, it's not very good.

Boss Doggie

Hell, even then Quistis says that when you encounter a T-Rexaur, it's best to run.

And to be fair, I've seen worse stories. The last part is the only cringe-worthy part, and the orphanage was pretty much less splattering especially with the tons of hints the game gives.

Hell, draw? Refining > Draw. Magic? Junction element attack.

Rebochan

Ah, the Spoony brigade is out in force I see. "Oh my god, this internet guy made fun of FF8, I'm going to parrot whatever he says and act like I thought of this myself!"

It's honestly one of the best in the series. The story doesn't spoonfeed you every plot and character point, which is naturally why most people complain about the story. Naturally, no game since has even tried a story that doesn't bash you over the head with the story or FF even attempt something called "subtlety".

LiK

no OP, it only gets worse...

and i hated FF8 before Spoony did since i beat the game when it came out!

Rahxephon91 said:
The 1st disc is the best part of the game, everything after that is headed downhill.

Yeah, once you see that (once) amazing CG battle scene, it's all downhill from there.

Rebochan said:
Ah, the Spoony brigade is out in force I see. "Oh my god, this internet guy made fun of FF8, I'm going to parrot whatever he says and act like I thought of this myself!"

It's honestly one of the best in the series. The story doesn't spoonfeed you every plot and character point, which is naturally why most people complain about the story. Naturally, no game since has even tried a story that doesn't bash you over the head with the story or FF even attempt something called "subtlety".

You just can't get enough of it.

The internet pretty much agreed that this game sucked long before Spoony did his review.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
8 is the most mature of the FF's. It became my favorite when I played it at 14 years old, and still holds the top spot..sometimes almost falling off to X in terms of story. The junction system was by far my favorite battle system until 13's optimas. Give it some patience and enjoy the drama as it unfolds.

And :lol to people suggesting 9 over this..

Rebochan said:
which is naturally why most people complain about the story.

I think most people complain because the story is fuck stupid, but who knows.

I still think FF8 is an okay game, but the writing? Oh god the writing.

It has a fun card game. The music is generally great. And it has a great modern style.

But story is utter garbage and the characters are probably the most boring, lifeless bunch in all FF. Drawing magic is a pain in the ass, but I do like the junction system. The game does offer plenty of side quests and hidden places to discover, so it isn't as bad as FFX or FFXIII. It's worth playing if you liked FFVII and FFIX.

Boss Doggie

The funny thing is stuff like "squall = emo" makes me cringe, especially when he is quite different from the emo. Squall is pretty unique in JRPGs in that his character is essentially the "what a kid sees as an adult", which he realizes as a mistake soon. He actually changes unlike most static JRPG characters.

Oh and I still lol at the complaints of "THEY CHANGED IT NOW IT SUCKS"

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i got the game when it came out for PC and played with it for a little bit but never got very far. Ten years later (give or take) i decided to give it a shot as a lvl 1/no xp challenge and had a fun time. Although i had fun with it i didnt get very far.. i blame me grinding for at least 10 hours with Seifer to level the GFs just a little bit in making me sick of the game. The card game rocks btw. The card game music not so much :lol

ithorien

The game got better for me after stacking all magic up by sitting there and drawing from enemies, lot easier then.

Story was a little meh, and the last boss was kinda weak because of one character skill.

Has the most ridiculous story of any RPG I've ever played.

Also, enemies level according to your strongest character so if you split up (as RPGs do sometimes) your weaker party is f'd in the a. Made the last dungeon impossible for me.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Scrow said:
every final fantasy i've tried has never gotten good.

Final Fantasy III (some SNES one with robots walking in the snow at the begining)
FFVII (i just don't get it... where's the fun? and the graphics are painful to look at now)
Some FF on the DS (lost my save data somehow and couldn't be bothered starting over again. i was getting bored anyway.)

they're all just so.... meh.

Oh... oh jesus.

Top Bottom