• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Zapages
Junior Member
(02-13-2010, 05:18 AM)
Zapages's Avatar
Hey guys,

There were a few magazine released with some info about the game.

So far what I've gathered and read . The game is set a few months after Sands of Time. The Prince goes to a neighboring kingdom ruled by his brother name Malik. The Prince sees similarities of his mistake and his brother's mistake. Aside from this, the Prince gets a new companion called Razia who controls the elements/magic, kind of reminds me of Elika in PoP 2008. Aside from this, the combat is going to have about 50 enemies on screen that you have to mow down. Err. I hope its nothing like Dynasty Warriors, which is fun but gets tedious. Especially considering how "great" the combat is of PoP games have been.

List of powers:
Rewind
Fire
Air - air dash moves to reach new platforms, swirl winds/aka like Cody from SF series type of moves against his enemies
Earth - a broken pillar can be fixed so that it can be climbable again.
Water - water can be frozen

Its the PoP Team watched a bit too much Captain Planet to make this game...

So what do you guys think?
Rez
(02-13-2010, 05:20 AM)
Rez's Avatar
i'm still in denial. this game doesn't exist.
TheGreatMightyPoo
(02-13-2010, 05:20 AM)
Any game with "sands" in the title is going to be a large disappointment.
AstroMan
Banned
(02-13-2010, 05:21 AM)
I hope this is better than PoP 2008 which was garbage. Any word of if the man of 1,000 voices, Nolan North lends his talent to the game?
Zapages
Junior Member
(02-13-2010, 05:22 AM)
Zapages's Avatar

Originally Posted by AstroMan

I hope this is better than PoP 2008 which was garbage. Any word of if the man of 1,000 voices, Nolan North lends his talent to the game?

Last I heard Yuri is back to voice the Prince (Sands of Time/T2T voice actor). :)
Haunted
(02-13-2010, 05:25 AM)
Haunted's Avatar
I need to see concept art, screens and videos before I commit to an official opinion.
ShockingAlberto
Member
(02-13-2010, 05:27 AM)
ShockingAlberto's Avatar
Persia Musou will be awesome.

Can't wait for a new Prince of Persia game, though, so I hope Ubisoft will make one eventually!
AceBandage
Banned
(02-13-2010, 05:28 AM)
AceBandage's Avatar
I saw some of the Wii version in Nintendo Power.
It looks, ok for the most part.
Supposedly, it's been built from the ground up for the Wii, but it's Ubisoft so I'm not going to believe it yet.

A few details (thanks to f4f/rush):


- Not a port. The dev's were mandated from Ubi headquarters to build it from the ground up for the Wii.
- Runs at a constant 60 frames per second.
- There is an object called the Sand Ring, which creates a handhold on any wall simply by pointing the Wii remote at a location and pressing B. You can only generate one at a time.
- "Things get considerably more complex when you have to use multiple sand powers in concert."
- During platforming segments, a faint blue line helps to show you the princes reach and whether he can make a jump. It may seem like it makes things easier, but keep in mind that you can no longer rewind time and fix your mistakes.
- SMG style coop
- Combat controls: flick wii remote to swing sword, and flick nunchuk to punch. Blocking, rolling, and everything else are button controlled.
Roto13
Member
(02-13-2010, 05:28 AM)
Roto13's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zapages

Hey guys,

There were a few magazine released with some info about the game.

So far what I've gathered and read . The game is set a few months after Sands of Time. The Prince goes to a neighboring kingdom ruled by his brother name Malik. The Prince sees similarities of his mistake and his brother's mistake. Aside from this, the Prince gets a new companion called Razia who controls the elements/magic, kind of reminds me of Elika in PoP 2008. Aside from this, the combat is going to have about 50 enemies on screen that you have to mow down. Err. I hope its nothing like Dynasty Warriors, which is fun but gets tedious. Especially considering how "great" the combat is of PoP games have been.

List of powers:
Rewind
Fire
Air - air dash moves to reach new platforms, swirl winds/aka like Cody from SF series type of moves against his enemies
Earth - a broken pillar can be fixed so that it can be climbable again.
Water - water can be frozen

Its the PoP Team watched a bit too much Captain Planet to make this game...

So what do you guys think?

It can't be any worse than the combat has been up until now.
ShockingAlberto
Member
(02-13-2010, 05:31 AM)
ShockingAlberto's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roto13

It can't be any worse than the combat has been up until now.

I am willing to bet that it can.
geeko420
Member
(02-13-2010, 05:40 AM)
geeko420's Avatar
Can't be taking cues too much from Captain Planet. Needs the heart part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpXM9bj-WPU

LOL, anyway, I'm interested in seeing how the combat will play out with 50 enemies at once. From PoP:SoT and on the combat was somewhat cinematic. I wonder If they will go that route or the Dynasty Warriors hack and slash route.
Lostconfused
I can make you pick a fight
With someone twice your size
(02-13-2010, 05:42 AM)
Lostconfused's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rez

i'm still in denial. this game doesn't exist.

Just like that movie that isn't coming out.
Salazar
Member
(02-13-2010, 05:44 AM)
Salazar's Avatar
That many enemies would seem to suggest a slashing chain kind of attack. I'd really prefer a staff.
Host Samurai
Member
(02-13-2010, 06:42 AM)
Host Samurai's Avatar
Ubisoft is in denial about this game being a movie tie in. Everything about this game seems like a tie in and a quick cash in from the movie.
Wag
Member
(02-13-2010, 06:48 AM)
Wag's Avatar
So essentially what we have here is:

A game about a movie about a game?:/
ghostofsparta
Member
(02-13-2010, 06:48 AM)
Is Mechnor going to be working on this?
grandjedi6
Master of the Google Search
(02-13-2010, 06:50 AM)
grandjedi6's Avatar

Originally Posted by Host Samurai

Ubisoft is in denial about this game being a movie tie in. Everything about this game seems like a tie in and a quick cash in from the movie.

The best part is the game's title which Ubisoft made sure included the word "Sands" so that movie goers got the tie-in, but couldn't actually flat out call it "Sands of Time".
Eteric Rice
Junior Member
(02-13-2010, 07:09 AM)
Eteric Rice's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wag

So essentially what we have here is:

A game about a movie about a game?:/

It's like GAF > Internet > GAF.
SapientWolf
Member
(02-13-2010, 07:14 AM)
SapientWolf's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roto13

It can't be any worse than the combat has been up until now.

At least the combat in SoT was relatively brief and infrequent.
nincompoop
Banned
(02-13-2010, 07:15 AM)
nincompoop's Avatar

Originally Posted by SapientWolf

At least the combat in SoT was relatively brief and infrequent.

No, it really wasn't. *Shudders remembering the elevator part near the end*
legend166
Member
(02-13-2010, 07:20 AM)
legend166's Avatar

Originally Posted by SapientWolf

At least the combat in SoT was relatively brief and infrequent.


Brief? You mad?

Damn well took forever.
Poyunch
Member
(02-13-2010, 07:25 AM)
Poyunch's Avatar
Why does the Prince have elemental powers now? :(
ShockingAlberto
Member
(02-13-2010, 07:32 AM)
ShockingAlberto's Avatar

Originally Posted by PounchEnvy

Why does the Prince have elemental powers now? :(

No, no, Farah Elika Razia does
WrenchNinja
Member
(02-13-2010, 07:34 AM)
WrenchNinja's Avatar
How can he have rewinding powers? He doesn't have the dagger and he only finds out about the Medallion having similar abilities in Warrior Within.
trinest
(02-13-2010, 07:40 AM)
trinest's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

I saw some of the Wii version in Nintendo Power.
It looks, ok for the most part.
Supposedly, it's been built from the ground up for the Wii, but it's Ubisoft so I'm not going to believe it yet.

Probably uses the LyN engine which looks pretty awesome.
Poyunch
Member
(02-13-2010, 07:44 AM)
Poyunch's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShockingAlberto

No, no, Farah Elika Razia does

Oops I only skimmed the OP. I'm still upset.
SapientWolf
Member
(02-13-2010, 07:50 AM)
SapientWolf's Avatar

Originally Posted by legend166

Brief? You mad?

Damn well took forever.

Well, I don't know what to say to that. Maybe I just got good at it. Or I blanked those parts out.
Anticitizen One
Banned
(02-13-2010, 07:54 AM)
Anticitizen One's Avatar
don't bother with this game. It's being thrown together for the movie which most everyone here already knows.
bigboss370
Junior Member
(02-13-2010, 07:57 AM)
bigboss370's Avatar

Originally Posted by AstroMan

I hope this is better than PoP 2008 which was garbage. Any word of if the man of 1,000 voices, Nolan North lends his talent to the game?


i'm actually hoping for a sequel to that game :lol
Mejilan
Running off of Custom Firmware
(02-13-2010, 08:03 AM)
Mejilan's Avatar
I hope that the powers aren't as awful and in-game-logic-breaking as Elika's.
I want the platforming and environmental puzzles to actually have some kind of consistent architectural and physical logic, like the last gen games. Yes, the logic is cartoonish or Hollywoodish, but it still worked and remained consistent throughout.

PoP 2008 had pointless, redundant powers that had you less exploring the architecture and solving puzzles, and more seeking out silly glowing pads that sent you flying around in too-random directions. I fucking hated that about the game. And the combat. And the story. And the characters. And the way the game basically played itself.

While my enthusiasm for this new game isn't all that high yet (nor is it getting higher with time), I can't help but think that it almost has to be better than their last pathetic outing.
Ydahs
Member
(02-13-2010, 08:03 AM)
Ydahs's Avatar

Originally Posted by bigboss370

i'm actually hoping for a sequel to that game :lol

The difficulty of that game was insulting. The easiest game I've played this generation. Starts off good, but after a few hours it's just okay and very repetitive. Are all PoP games like this?
Cep
Banned
(02-13-2010, 08:08 AM)

Originally Posted by Lostconfused

Just like that movie that isn't coming out.

Sorry, but what movie?

:D
Mejilan
Running off of Custom Firmware
(02-13-2010, 08:09 AM)
Mejilan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ydahs

The difficulty of that game was insulting. The easiest game I've played this generation. Starts off good, but after a few hours it's just okay and very repetitive. Are all PoP games like this?

Not even close. PoP 2008 was a massive departure in many respects. Many disappointing respects.
Roto13
Member
(02-13-2010, 09:39 AM)
Roto13's Avatar

Originally Posted by SapientWolf

Well, I don't know what to say to that. Maybe I just got good at it. Or I blanked those parts out.

There's no getting good at the Sands of Time combat. You just bounce off walls or vault over enemies (depending on which move actually works on a particular enemy) or occasionally counter>retrieve (if you're lucky) and wait until you have enough power tanks to freeze everything and slice them up.
Agnates
Banned
(02-13-2010, 10:30 AM)
Huh? I thought Sands of Time had the best combat of them all personally. Played on PC. Was surprising to me how nicely a third person action adventure with melee combat worked with the keyboard and mouse setup... Controls were simple and intuitive. The latest PoP, not so much... Doing the tricks and everything didn't feel as immediate as in SoT, and the combat... Ugh. 360 pad was a must. I wish they went back to the SoT setup and just alter the powers and the enemies to be more challenging.

Thanks for that info AceBandage. It's probably going to be gimped in some ways I guess (is it by the same developer as the HD versions? they'll probably consider it a minor side project or something making it half the game - or if it's by someone else then they may not be as good or well budgeted etc) but that's some good info for now.
Last edited by Agnates; 02-13-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Combichristoffersen
Combovers don't work when there is no hair
(02-13-2010, 10:40 AM)
Combichristoffersen's Avatar

Originally Posted by bigboss370

i'm actually hoping for a sequel to that game :lol

Me too. PoP 08 was amazing in all areas except a) combat and b) bosses. Had they made a sequel that fixed those flaws.. Not really interested in a sequel to the SoT trilogy.
Lagspike_exe
Member
(02-13-2010, 11:03 AM)
Lagspike_exe's Avatar
Gonna wait for video reviews before even starting to consider this.

Not getting tricked again.
daxter01
8/8/2010 Blackace was here
(02-13-2010, 11:24 AM)
daxter01's Avatar
i hate prince of persia 2008 I welcom this new improvements:D
Sir Johnny
Junior Member
(02-13-2010, 11:50 AM)
Sir Johnny's Avatar

Originally Posted by AceBandage

I saw some of the Wii version in Nintendo Power.
It looks, ok for the most part.
Supposedly, it's been built from the ground up for the Wii, but it's Ubisoft so I'm not going to believe it yet.

A few details (thanks to f4f/rush):


- Not a port. The dev's were mandated from Ubi headquarters to build it from the ground up for the Wii.
- Runs at a constant 60 frames per second.
- There is an object called the Sand Ring, which creates a handhold on any wall simply by pointing the Wii remote at a location and pressing B. You can only generate one at a time.
- "Things get considerably more complex when you have to use multiple sand powers in concert."
- During platforming segments, a faint blue line helps to show you the princes reach and whether he can make a jump. It may seem like it makes things easier, but keep in mind that you can no longer rewind time and fix your mistakes.
- SMG style coop
- Combat controls: flick wii remote to swing sword, and flick nunchuk to punch. Blocking, rolling, and everything else are button controlled.

Oh, God! THEY STILL DON'T GET IT AFTER FOUR YEARS ????
Lakitu
st5fu
(02-13-2010, 12:19 PM)
Lakitu's Avatar
I'm really disappointed they've not followed the old formula / style. I was really anticipating another sequel in that style, they could have took it so much further. This just looks drab and generic, I have about 5% interest only because the previous one was good. It wasn't perfect, there are things it had to improve, the combat and of course, the difficulty.
Agnates
Banned
(02-13-2010, 12:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Sir Johnny

Oh, God! THEY STILL DON'T GET IT AFTER FOUR YEARS ????

Huh? Those controls worked fine in Twilight Princess, as well as in the likes of Godfather and Bully. They do seem to have pointer functionality in there so that's good. But anyway, I'm sure that control choice will be the least of this version's problems...
grandjedi6
Master of the Google Search
(02-13-2010, 09:52 PM)
grandjedi6's Avatar

Originally Posted by Agnates

Thanks for that info AceBandage. It's probably going to be gimped in some ways I guess (is it by the same developer as the HD versions? they'll probably consider it a minor side project or something making it half the game - or if it's by someone else then they may not be as good or well budgeted etc) but that's some good info for now.

I haven't read the article AceBandage mentioned (because that issue hasn't come to subscribers yet) but previously its been said that Ubisoft Quebec is working on the Wii/PSP versions while the PS360 versions are done by Ubisoft Montreal & Ubisoft Singapore:

Originally Posted by Ubisoft

The Ubisoft studios involved in the development of the game are Quebec City for the Wii and PSP versions, Casablanca for DS, Montreal in collaboration with Singapore for the PS3, X360 and PC versions.

Lijik
Member
(02-13-2010, 09:57 PM)
Lijik's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sir Johnny

Oh, God! THEY STILL DON'T GET IT AFTER FOUR YEARS ????

Agnates
Banned
(02-13-2010, 10:02 PM)

Originally Posted by grandjedi6

I haven't read the article AceBandage mentioned (because that issue hasn't come to subscribers yet) but previously its been said that Ubisoft Quebec is working on the Wii/PSP versions while the PS360 versions are done by Ubisoft Montreal & Ubisoft Singapore:

Not a promising track record... But maybe they're capable if they get a decent budget... Still, Wii/PSP doesn't bode well either...
Paco
Member
(02-13-2010, 10:06 PM)
Paco's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mejilan

Not even close. PoP 2008 was a massive departure in many respects. Many disappointing respects.

I thought it was a step in the right direction. The combat in PoP has always sucked, so removing a lot of it was great. Not having to start a section over because of a misplaced foot was nice, too.

I'll likely skip this new PoP and just hope they get back to PoP 2008 style next year.
Khezu
Member
(02-13-2010, 10:15 PM)
Khezu's Avatar
I won't write the game off as terrible just yet, ill wait for some actual gameplay footage first.
Well I don't trust Ubisoft to make quality games all the time, I do know there capable of it, and hope this is one of those games.

However Ubisoft, please, PLEASE, include an ezio or altair skin for the game, the prince is pretty ugly looking, and I ran around as altair in PoP2008, and it was awesome.
Jocchan
Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
(02-13-2010, 10:18 PM)
Jocchan's Avatar

Originally Posted by geeko420

Can't be taking cues too much from Captain Planet. Needs the heart part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpXM9bj-WPU

I just wanted to post "too bad this game lacks heart" :/
Lijik
Member
(02-13-2010, 10:19 PM)
Lijik's Avatar

Originally Posted by Agnates

Not a promising track record... But maybe they're capable if they get a decent budget... Still, Wii/PSP doesn't bode well either...

Battle of Giants Dinosaurs was an incredibly rad, despite being highly repetitive, game.
So as long as I get to fight phonebooths and rocketships in the wii port of Forgotten Sands, I'm sold.
epmode
Member
(02-13-2010, 10:22 PM)
epmode's Avatar

Originally Posted by Agnates

Huh? Those controls worked fine in Twilight Princess

Lies. Evil, destructive lies.
A Human Becoming
Member
(02-13-2010, 10:32 PM)
A Human Becoming's Avatar

Originally Posted by Combichristoffersen

Me too. PoP 08 was amazing in all areas except a) combat and b) bosses. Had they made a sequel that fixed those flaws.. Not really interested in a sequel to the SoT trilogy.

So you're basically say the graphics, sound and platforming were amazing. I'll give you the first two, but the platforming? Really? It was more automatic than Uncharted.

Thread Tools