• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 4 is now for...

MarkusRJR

iPhone/iPod Touch.
February 15, 2010 - Street Fighter IV… on the iPhone? Capcom is going for it this March, bringing the acclaimed fighter to Apple's handhelds. But this is no quickie, banged-out port. Capcom has taken months to come up with suitable controls for a platform with no physical buttons, employing a virtual pad and move buttons to recreate the arcade stick right on the touchscreen. After all, without great controls, what's the point?

Capcom is not accepting any loss of the console game's beloved art direction in the iPhone edition. It has taken assets straight from the current-gen code, so the new art style that won universal accolades is faithfully recreated on the iPhone's smaller, but crisp screen. In our shots of Ken and Ryu battling it out, you can see the fidelity to the console version at play. These are the same models, just slightly scaled down – but with minimal loss of detail or color.

Capcom's virtual stick should make it easy to pull off big punches, fireballs, and Ultras.

And it isn't just art direction that Capcom is bringing to the iPhone's Street Fighter IV. Capcom promises that fan-favorite fighters beyond Ryu and Ken (the first two Capcom is willing to confirm) will round out a large roster. While names are not yet spoken, Capcom has confirmed that the iPhone cast features both classic brawlers and new characters created for Street Fighter IV. So, there is an excellent chance your personal favorite will end up in the mix. Each fighter has their complete move set, including the Ultras. The animations for the over-the-top Ultras have not been cut either. Expect to see those screen-popping bursts of punches and kicks explode on the iPhone.

Now, hardcore gamers coming into Street Fighter VI with lofty expectations are understandably concerned about whether or not Capcom's virtual pad will offer the same, precise controls needed to truly master the game. That's fair because to competitive players, Street Fighter is a contest of exactness and finesse. To alleviate worries, Capcom offers a number of control configurations so players can find their favorite position, button transparency, and set-up. Street Fighter IV also includes a Dojo Mode for training, giving you ample opportunity to get used to the controls before heading into a tournament or into a multiplayer match.

Ryu and Ken are the first two fighters Capcom has confirmed.

Multiplayer? Street Fighter IV allows two players to trade blows over Bluetooth, just like the arcade or console edition. So, spending a little time in Dojo Mode isn't such a bad idea, especially if you want to answer your iPhone and tell whoever is calling that you just hammered your friend flat into the ground.

Check out IGN's full gallery of screens, seen here for the very first time anywhere. And be sure to keep checking back as we learn more about Street Fighter IV's expansive roster, additional modes, and potential price in the weeks leading up to its App Store release.
Wonder what other platform they forgot? hmm.....

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/106/1069286p1.html

tba-street-fighter-iv-20100214054925013-000.jpg

tba-street-fighter-iv-20100214054926169-000.jpg

Threi

notag
Yaceka said:
Wonder what other platform they forgot? hmm.....
PSP?

or DS?

can't think of anything else tbh

That virtual joystick looks awful...but I want to play it for some reason :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Apath

This will probably be more of a control nightmare than Pacman CE. I'll still undoubtedly buy it (pending multiplayer support).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Gonna predict the future Street Fighter V:
iPhone exclusive and everytime you land an ultra it tweets about it:
l33tskillz: i just landed an ultra @madjohnny @capcom @apple

LaneDS

I wouldn't purchase this for a $1, as it will undoubtedly be an absolute nightmare to play on a touchscreen. They might as well have ported the Tiger Electronics version of Street Fighter 2, that would probably play just as well.

OMG Aero

Capcom has taken months to come up with suitable controls for a platform with no physical buttons, employing a virtual pad and move buttons to recreate the arcade stick right on the touchscreen. After all, without great controls, what's the point?
This can only end well.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
cjelly said:
I would have preferred nice, clean sprites...
Seriously. Id rather have SFII Turbo remade for iPhone. At least they could do it right.

Calcaneus

If they put out a demo, I will try it out. But I gotta say, I haven't encountered a good iphone game with a virtual pad.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
jett said:
When I read the thread title I knew it had to be for iphone. Of course.

:lol Someone put the fear of god in you, Fersis. :p
:lol

v__v

Top Bottom