• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailer's Top 10 Disappointments of the Decade

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
For people disagreeing/agreeing with MGS2 I'd watch the video before posting.

Haze is the biggest genuine disappointment for me, right ahead of Invisible War. Everything about Haze sounded damned appealing, it felt like they had the right ideas all around, and then they showed the game.

None of the games on the list were disappointments, since I really never expected much from them.

Hmmm, I still seem to be in a alternate universe where Master of Orion 3 was never made since it would obviously be on this list.

Excellent.

golem

1. Star Wars: Galaxies

This game was awesome if you didnt care about leveling or combat.

2. Daikatana

Duh

3. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Don't really get the hate, good entry in series

4. Devil May Cry 2
5. Fable

Fun game overall... don't let Moly's hype get to you is all

6. Perfect Dark Zero

Needed a few more months to stew

7. Doom 3

It was fun except for all the level repetition

8. Lair

Heh

9. Sonic the Hedgehog
10. State of Emergency

Mindlog

I don't know anyone that expected Daikatana or Haze to be any good. There was no disappointment involved.

Deus Ex 2 on the other hand...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
golem said:
1. Star Wars: Galaxies

This game was awesome if you didnt care about leveling or combat.

So if you didn't play it, it was awesome!

golem said:

Doesn't mean it wasn't disappointing.

5. Fable

Fun game overall... don't let Moly's hype get to you is all

The list is about hype. That's why these games were disappointing. They even prefaced it by saying the games may be fine! Did you even watch the video? I doubt it.

Daikatana was not a game anyone thought would be good when it got near completion.

And MGS2 should not be on the list at all.

Spore should be on this list. So should Deus Ex 2

Mindlog said:
I don't know anyone that expected Daikatana or Haze to be any good. There was no disappointment involved.

Deus Ex 2 on the other hand...

I expected Haze to be what the design lead claimed that it would be. I had a ton of awesome discussions with that dude about the game and its supposedly thought provoking content, and it really sounded like they were on track to make something special. Certainly not what they ended up with. This became increasingly obvious the more they showed of it, but the demo made everything crystal clear.

But technically, I guess Deus Ex 2 was more of a true disappointment, in that it was a botched sequel to my favorite game of all time. Haze was more of a lost opportunity, so I guess I was more disappointed in the developer than the game.

Forkball

No Spore? That was supposed to be the game to end all games, but I don't think there's a single person who is completely satisfied with that game.

Galaxies had a huge number of problems and is generally terrible, but it was my first MMO. Nostalgia's gotten me to try out the free trial every now and again, but each time makes me angrier.

I miss the original skill system, still. Wish I could get a solid new MMO that let you build a character like that.

Forkball said:
No Spore? That was supposed to be the game to end all games, but I don't think there's a single person who is completely satisfied with that game.

yeah, I would definitely put it on there IMO too

Icarus said:
With the exception of Fable, not a bad list actually.

Fable is a good game, but being one of those people who had anticipated the release of Project Ego for years and finding out as its release drew closer that feature after promised feature was nowhere to be found... it was definitely a huge disappointment.

Guys.

An MMO, with its countless gameplay opportunities and world interaction.......set in THE FUCKING STAR WARS UNIVERSE.

It should have been the greatest thing ever.

Nail.Head.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Why is State of Emergency on that list? Did people really expect it to be good because of the Rockstar name?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I think Fable 2 was way more disappointing than Fable 1 if that was their argument...

Wario64 said:
Why is State of Emergency on that list? Did people really expect it to be good because of the Rockstar name?

Yep. I remember hearing numerous stories about its pre launch hype and reviews in early EGM live podcasts and the like.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
golem said:

I though it was horrible. Everything it does MGS does much, much better. The definition of a disappointment, in my opinion, if just for how horrible the story is.

Baha

MGS2 being disappointing doesn't mean it's a bad game or shit but before it's release the hype was at fever pitch and anybody who didn't feel disappointed the moment they realized they wouldn't be using Snake after the tanker is a filthy liar.

Wario64 said:

Yes people did. I remember the hype for that game was pretty intense

Oooh another one that should have been considered was Brute Force.

wizword

Banned
Fable was probably top 10 best games on xbox. I thought the game was excellent and am surprised by the hatred for it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Andrex said:
For people disagreeing/agreeing with MGS2 I'd watch the video before posting.
Come on, it's hard enough getting people to read an entire OP around here lately, never mind actually checking out the links posted in them. ;P

Baha said:
MGS2 being disappointing doesn't mean it's a bad game or shit but before it's release the hype was at fever pitch and anybody who didn't feel disappointed the moment they realized they wouldn't be using Snake after the tanker is a filthy liar.
Raiden controlled exactly like Snake. As far as gameplay goes, it made no difference.

Baha

Zombie James said:
Raiden controlled exactly like Snake. As far as gameplay goes, it made no difference.

Maybe but his personality, the whole Rose deal and watching Snake being badass in the background didn't help =\

golem

Andrex said:
So if you didn't play it, it was awesome!
It did alot of stuff right and there never were a million jedis running around until Sony decided to start changing stuff post release

The list is about hype. That's why these games were disappointing. They even prefaced it by saying the games may be fine! Did you even watch the video? I doubt it.
I do remember the trees growing crap, but by release it was pretty obvious what the game was and what it wasnt.

RobertM

Baha said:
I for one didn't care, but I did care about the story and the gameplay, and that to me is what makes a good MGS game. Calling it disappointing is down right absurd.

Re looking at that list, i dont remember much hype for the 2006 Sonic the hedgehog. Am i alone?

Granted it was still a horrible letdown.

Cerberus

Pretty good list. I would've agreed with them on MGS2 years ago, but I think it's a fucking awesome game now. Another disappointment deserves to take its place.

Top Bottom