• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Neverhood movie is dead, but there will be new music(?!).

GhaleonQ

http://tennapel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11061
http://tennapel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11172

Frederator Studios does brilliant work, but it never got off of the ground, apparently. To that, I say, "Suck it, Samurai Jack."

However, for some reason, Terry Scott Taylor, TenNapel, and most of the original musicians are making another, all-original soundtrack in the style of the series' previous music. Does this mean a new game of some sort? Who knows? It's a really peculiar thing to do for its own sake, though.

Oli

The Neverhood is that PC claymation adventure game right? I used to play that as a kid.

cabel

The Neverhood soundtrack remains one of the greatest and most original gaming soundtracks ever.

So, I am very excited about this news! Thanks for passing it along!

Will I be the only person who cares? :)

farnham

Banned
neverhood was one of the most amazing games i ever played from a technical standpoint.. too bad that nobody did the whole claymation style of gameplay after neverhood

leroidys

I looooove neverhood. I played that game so much as a kid. I found all the original packaging too, but the cd is missing... :(

I would love a new HD game in the Neverhood Universe. Hell, I would take a SD remake of that Skullmonkies (or whatever) game.

DeBurgo

GhaleonQ said:
Aw, no one cares.
I care! I still listen to bits of Imaginarium once in a while. I'll probably get this when it comes out.

edit: assuming it's a standalone soundtrack. if it's a game, then, cool!

Yeef

Homina, homina. Brrdibrrd.

The soundtrack for The Neverhood was excellent. I fully endorse more similar music for no purpose other than being awesome.

V_Ben

Banned
Wait, neverhood is coming to phones? HELL YES. I'm gonna buy that with all my might.

Edit: A music comic book too? That's an intriguing prospect, consider me interested in that.

Lijik

GhaleonQ said:
It's a really peculiar thing to do for its own sake, though.
Honestly I wish it wasn't. Sega in particular has a bunch of IPs they could make a new soundtrack for and Id be just as happy as if it was a new game.

GhaleonQ

V_Ben said:
Wait, neverhood is coming to phones? HELL YES. I'm gonna buy that with all my might.

Edit: A music comic book too? That's an intriguing prospect, consider me interested in that.

I think they're pretty neat, but I'll never use them. 1 of my favorite Japanese musicians, a Sapporo native who goes by Moskitoo, did the soundtrack for a Night On The Galactic Railroad iPad comic. http://sainen.com/ginga.html http://soundcloud.com/moskitoo So far, there's no soundtrack release, so I don't know how good it is. It looks brilliant, though.

Lijik said:
Honestly I wish it wasn't. Sega in particular has a bunch of IPs they could make a new soundtrack for and Id be just as happy as if it was a new game.

There were so many Sega arcade games that they could sneak an invented one by me pretty easily.

Grimm Fandango said:
FUCK YEAH

Paging BobTheFork.
lol my klaymation sense went off!

I'm still pissed the movie won't happen but I just wanted something else from the great Neverhood universe. I'll take it.

Wow, can't believe I posted in here exactly 1 year ago. It is now available for pre-order on Terry Taylor's website! It is $20 and comes with a comic book and CD: http://www.danielamos.com/store/

Here are the tracks:
Tracks include: said:
OVERTURE: THE RETURN, LET’S GET THIS BALL ROLLING!, OVER THE DEEPORAMA, OUT OF THE CLAY AND MUD /COILSssss and sssssSPRINGSssss, RAISE THE FLAG BOYS, THEN LET’S GET TO WORK!, IT’S A DING DANG DAY, LORD LURKER/TOIL IN THE SOIL, A BAD APPLE A DAY HELPS THE CLAY DECAY, CLAY-GUY’S UNDOING, HE LOVE SWEET LOVE SUITE: Part One: ODE TO A HUNCH, Part two: AT LEAST IN YOUR EYES MY LOVE, COME HELL OR HIGH WATER PANTS, Huh? What’s Going On Here? I Don’t Get it!, RUSHIN’ WIND, The wind, HUMAN FLAME THROWERS, AND A BIT OF GIBBERISH, FISHIN’ WITH THE SCULPTOR, FINALE: RETURN TO THE NEVERHOOD

I still have Neverhood on CD! My proper avatar here is of Klaymen before real pic July. I need to find it, somewhere laying around as a cherished possession.

Never got past this fucking puzzle as a kid.

OqUB6.png

One of the best soundtracks, I occasionally will put it on and hum along nonsensically.

Wow, can't believe I posted in here exactly 1 year ago. It is now available for pre-order on Terry Taylor's website! It is $20 and comes with a comic book and CD: http://www.danielamos.com/store/

Here are the tracks:

Is that the same store that was always seeling the Neverhood soundtrack? I really want one of these but I had huge problems when I ordered before. It didn't ship and I tried to get ahold of them for about two weeks, I got an email apologizing saynig they were just busy and it would ship soon. It never shipped I never got it and I didn't hear from them again.

GhaleonQ

Here are the tracks:

WHAT? WHAT?!?!

The only topic resurrection that will be sweeter will be Chrono Cross Arranged. Thanks a lot, Stormwatch.

Edit: Good on Terry S. Taylor. In any case, I checked Doug TenNapel's Twitter feed and forum. It's funny that he moved from Frederator (is there any doubt that The Neverhood would get made after their recent breakthrough?) back to Dreamworks and his comic adaptation, but they don't have The Neverhood rights. Electronic Arts owns them, still.

dude

dude
I keep wishing TenNapel gets back to gaming :(

And Neverhood easily has one of the best soundtracks in any video game, ever.

Okay after reading along with the music, time for my two cents.

Comic:
Bear in mind I have not played SkullMonkeys. While the story was interesting, it had no relation to the Neverhood's original story as far as I can tell. It's more like a side story that may possibly be the beginning of the Neverhood's universe (but no Hoborg). Basically no characters from the Neverhood are mentioned nor could I find story connections. The story, while funny, makes lots of modern references (food, celebrities) which IMO takes you out of the story (but the story is tied to our world). The quality of the comic is pretty nice though (I love that you can feel the texture of the lines).

Music:
Definitely the best part of the package. Music sounds like it came right out of the Neverhood and it might be even better. The same kind of odd but catchy tunes. It plays very well when you read the comic alongside.

Het_Nkik

Got the album/comic a few days ago. It's good but not great. A lot of the tracks feel rather short and some of the music seems a bit too... coherent. There's nothing quite as good as The Neverhood Theme or Beep Bop Bo Shards and nothing that works in an insane way like Potatoes, Tomatoes, Gravy And Peas. But I still like it and At Least In Your Eyes My Love is pretty catchy.

To be honest, I didn't finish reading the comic. I just don't really care. Like Fandango said, it's only tied to The Neverhood in the loosest sense. It seems like a story Terry Scott Taylor (the musician) wanted to tell but he wanted to tell it in a Neverhood way. It's actually fairly
biblical, with beings created from the earth, told they can't eat certain things, and then eating one of those certain things (an apple) regardless. But then it diverges from the Adam and Eve story from there with love conquering all
and then I stopped reading so I dunno.

Anyway, I'm happy with it. It's more Neverhood music that sounds like Neverhood music and that's all I wanted.

Top Bottom