• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Desktop Dungeon - The 10 minute Rogue-like

ToxicAdam

http://db.tigsource.com/games/desktop-dungeon

Are rogue-likes sometimes too long? This game boils down the experience into 10 minutes. But don't think that it means the game is simple. Lots of strategy comes into play as you navigate the map and figure out which monsters to attack next and how to attack them in the most efficient way possible. Attacking a monster of a higher level dramatically increases your exp, but can also waste your limited resources. Different techniques can increase your score. There is also a worldwide leaderboard for each character.

As you beat a map, more characters, monsters, items and maps are unlocked. Give it a few spins, I think you'll find it highly addictive.

deskdungeon1.png

This is hot! Thanks for posting it, TA.

Also, I'm shocked that I beat ElectricThunder in here, especially since I played it for an hour and a half before replying.

Belfast

Man, this game can be a dick sometimes. I spawned with monsters all around me, all much higher level. There was literally nothing I could do!

platypotamus said:
This is hot! Thanks for posting it, TA.

Also, I'm shocked that I beat ElectricThunder in here, especially since I played it for an hour and a half before replying.

Bah, I'm only human and appear to be coming down with something. :(

Game is quite nice, Ortosion completed a speedrun of the initial jaunt you can find easily on Youtube. Development is proceeding actively, tons of stuff to do in it, challenge achievements to score----really great stuff.

Relevant:

http://forums.tidemedia.co.za/nag/showthread.php?t=13014
http://www.qcfdesign.com/wiki/DesktopDungeons/index.php?title=Main_Page

ElectricThunder said:
Bah, I'm only human and appear to be coming down with something. :(

Well, now you have something good to keep you busy if you stay home from work sick :)

As for me, this will be my reward every couple papers I grade today.

platypotamus said:
Well, now you have something good to keep you busy if you stay home from work sick :)

As for me, this will be my reward every couple papers I grade today.

:has been out of work since january 09: :lol

:(

But this game is indeed great and I need to spend time with it. Hoping Ortosion busts out more class runs too.

Still pretty cracked out on this.

I've beat the normal dungeon with all of the Tier 1 and 2 guys, and 1 of the Tier 3.

I've got a couple wins on the Library, 1 on the Crypt, and I think maybe 1 on the Snake Pit.

The unlock system evolving the game is pretty hot.

ToxicAdam

Glad you liked it. I thought the unlocking system was a great way to breathe more life into a somewhat simple game. It's definitely one of those games that keep getting better the more your play/understand it.

Not bad for a game that is less than 3 MB. :lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
KTallguy said:
Don't you have virtualization or some shit?
Not on the laptop that I'm on at the time I wrote that. And now.

Night_Trekker said:
This is the first I've seen of this. Downloading.

EDIT: "The user hosting this file is out of bandwidth." :mad:

Check the official qfc site a fee posts up...should have 3 different download locations.

It's really neat discovering ways to take out super high level dudes in this game. I was able to take out a monster 4 levels higher than me due to twinking out my attack stat (via an item and some godly worship) with a Warlord, and using his free spell to avoid death blows.

I've been super addicted to this game. It's a great timewaster while listening to podcasts. Derek Yu's tileset is really nice as well.

Fio said:
Amazing little game. The more you play it, the better it gets. Thanks for the recommendation.
Yeah, I love the unlock system. It really does a good job of easing the player in and guiding you through the increased variety and complexity of the more-unlocked game. Some of the later classes and challenges are dramatically different from the original set.

http://www.qcfdesign.com/?p=325 V0.14

# Streamlined interface totally still lets you do all that math if you want to. You’ll wonder how you ever played it before.
# 100% gold custom tileset by indie king-maker and all around super nice guy, Derek Yu! (Spelunky, TIGSource)
# All your old character files will work just fine, but it’s more fun to start from scratch again. Trust us.
# Tweaks: F2 doubles the window, F4 fullscreens, ESC no longer insta-closes and there’s even arrow-key navigation if you’re that way inclined.
# Fresh high score lists on which to min-max freely (We may even have balanced the Vampire)
# Even more content for the super-hardcore endgame players. Seriously, we can’t finish this thing…

It lives GAF, the addiction lives!

Also, like Dudebro, they are working on some manner of a souped up Premium version built via Unity to help keep themselves rolling on along.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It is more of a puzzle game than a rogue-like and if you like it 10 minutes will expand into 10 hours. :)

Damn this game is addictive. I never knew I liked roguelikes until I by some chance got 100 rogues on iPhone. And now this, damn...
I tried some of the more complex roguelikes but I can't get into them yet anything inbetween this and more complex ones ? :)

(Need tileset can't play ascii)

Melhisedek said:
Damn this game is addictive. I never knew I liked roguelikes until I by some chance got 100 rogues on iPhone. And now this, damn...
I tried some of the more complex roguelikes but I can't get into them yet anything inbetween this and more complex ones ? :)

(Need tileset can't play ascii)

Hmm...

I'd say you might do ok with Mageguild, which is on the cusp of a big-time nonbeta v2.0 somewhere in the near future. Graphical, with a "puzzle" slant that might suit just fine coming from DD.

http://lukos.x10hosting.com/

This thread needs a bump. I've been playing this game all night and it's sooo addiciting and fun. There's lots of different classes to try our and they all need a different approach. So much fun!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Yeah, it's a lot of fun, but I feel like the game's constantly trolling me. Either you get stuck because strong enemies are blocking all paths (=suicide), or you don't get the right spells, or the "shrines" are not the appropriate ones for your current build. Can't stop playing though, but I wish it was available for portable mediums as well.

Top Bottom