• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Game Room thread of Rewinding Time

Gazunta

bannerdefault.jpg

Developer: Krome Studios
Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
Release Date: March 24th, 2010 exclusively on Xbox 360 and Games For Windows LIVE

Remember! Game Room is part of the hip and happening Block Party promotion on Xbox LIVE! Get 400 Microsoft Points by downloading the free Game Room app and purchasing Toy Soldiers, Scrap Metal and Perfect Dark in March!

Disclaimer: I work at Krome but am not on the Game Room team. I am just a huge fan of the project and have been lucky enough to witness it being developed by a tremendously talented, passionate and hard working bunch of people here at Krome (not to mention the equally great people at Microsoft who spearheaded this project). I want this thread to keep track of all the commonly asked questions and new game announcements in the one place. Oh, and for people to connect and challenge each other :)

What is Game Room?

From Xbox.com:

Remember pumping quarters into your favorite video games at the classic Arcade? Nothing would beat the colorfully-decorated cabinets, the smell of popcorn and candy and best of all, the endless hours of competition with friends, trumping the top score, and mastering the machine. This Spring, Game Room on Xbox LIVE lets you relive the glory days of the classic arcade. Play as your Avatar and enjoy the original sights, sounds, and gameplay that make these retro games come alive on Xbox 360 and Games for Windows LIVE.

tl;dr version: It's a giant virtual arcade that you fill with classic arcade and home console games and play them exactly like they were back in the day.

What makes Game Room different?

Leaderboards: Leaderboards are available for each game and are shared between the Xbox 360 Game Room and the Games For Windows LIVE Game Room. This means that no matter what system you play Game Room on, your scores are displayed to everyone. Of course, leaderboards are only available when you are playing a ranked game, which does not allow for rewinding or changes to dip switches. No more scores being lost forever when the power is turned off.

Challenges: These can be sent to people on your friends list to challenge them to beat a particular score, time or other metric that you have already accomplished. The things you can challenge each other on will be determined by the game. Taunts are attached to challenges, so you can celebrate your victory over your friend in style.

Rewind: I love this feature. Basically, at any time during the game you can go back in time and continue from the moment before you made that last costly mistake. It's important to note that this feature is not available in a Ranked game, so you can't use it to cheat your way onto the Leaderboards.

Create your own Game Room: The Game Room, a three story space with separate alcoves, is customizable in many ways. Of course, you can rearrange the games you have in your collection any way you want, so if you want an alcove devoted to vector graphics games, one for Konami games, another one devoted to shmups etc - go for it. Additionally you can collect decorative props to give each alcove a unique look. Mascots of various games will also be available (free if you purchase the game on release day) that will randomly move around the arcade, too. Your friends can visit your Game Room over LIVE and play your games. If you want to play a game they're playing, you can start up your own game - there is no queuing.

Range of games: The aim is to get a thousand games into Game Room over the next three years, and that means there'll be titles you haven't heard of or played in ages. There'll be a lot of rediscovering old classics! Also: Giantbomb's pick of the bunch Jungler is included so hey, good times for all.

Plus more to be revealed...

How much does it cost?

The Game Room application itself is free for all Xbox LIVE Gold and Silver members, and Games For Windows LIVE members.

It's 240
akwjo9.png
per game on a single platform. If you want to play the game on both the PC and Xbox 360 ("Buy Once, Play Anywhere"), it will cost 400
akwjo9.png
. Scores / medals / achievements etc obtained on one system are automatically transferred to your other system over LIVE, so you can accept a challenge on your Xbox 360 and continue trying on your PC if you like. If you've bought a title on one system and want to upgrade your purchase to play on both systems, it'll cost 160
akwjo9.png

How about Demos?

You can play ANY game in Game Room for free - once. After that, you are given the option of dropping in some virtual quarters to continue playing (40
akwjo9.png
) or buy the game outright.

Will old arcade games I bought on XBLA appear in my Game Room?

No. The reasons for this are many, mostly to do with technical issues and rights management, but the short version is that it's like asking why the songs you purchased in Lips don't magically appear in your Rock Band setlist. Game Room is a framework for our emulation to run in, not a shell to launch other people's programs.

How is multiplayer handled?

Game Room supports same couch multiplayer for all games that had a multiplayer mode. Online multiplayer is handled via challenges only at this time.

How are Achievements handled?

Achievements are not tied to particular games. Instead, we have Medals that you earn by beating certain scores in a particular game, completing a certain number of games, winning challenges etc. These meta tasks earn you Achievements, and there are 60 Achievements in Game Room for a total of 1,000 Gamerpoints.

What games are out for it now?

I'll be updating this list as time goes on. Latest additions to the list are in bold.

Arcade:

Asteroids Deluxe by Atari
Battlantis by Konami
Centipede by Atari
Crystal Castles by Atari
Finalizer by Konami
Gravitar by Atari
Jungler by Konami
Lunar Lander by Atari
Rack 'Em Up by Konami
Red Baron by Atari
Road Fighter by Konami
Scramble by Konami
Shao-Lin's Road by Konami
Super Breakout by Atari
Tempest by Atari
Tutankham by Konami

Intellivision:

Armor Battle by Mattel
Astrosmash by Mattel
Basketball by Mattel
Mountain Madness Super Pro Skiing by Mattel
Night Stalker by Mattel
Sea Battle by Mattel
Space Armada by Mattel
Space Hawk by Mattel
Sub Hunt by Mattel

Atari 2600:

Combat by Atari
Football by Atari
Megamania by Activision
Millipede by Atari
Outlaw by Atari
Pitfall! by Activision
RealSports Tennis by Atari
RealSports Volleyball by Atari
Star Raiders by Atari
Yar's Revenge by Atari

What games are coming?

None have been announced - yet. I'm sure this will be the first line of the OP I'll end up changing :) The team are working very, very hard on a lot of great games.

That being said, your input is strongly encouraged to help determine what games should come to the service! Let Microsoft and the game's original publishers know you want their back catalogue available in your Game Room!

This also applies to systems. The Game Room project has a lot of room to grow. Personally I'd love to see Commodore 64 games on it one day down the road.

Hey, you didn't answer my question!

That's what this thread is about. Fire away!

MEDIA:

Gamerbytes Interview with Lead Designer Dan Hooley and Emulation Genius Barry Jones
Demonstration of Game Room at X10
Microsoft's media page

MMaRsu

Banned
Pretty high price for the games man. Shit I was hoping these things were gonna set me back like 80MSP per game or something.

Oh well, maybe when I have some points left somewhere down the road. Game Room app looks cool tho.

Ohhh next week.

Well good I can save up some dough for Asteroids Deluxe.

Oh damn River Raid is available?! Damn this Activision boycott I'm on.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Can my Avatar sit down with a virtual Intellivision or 2600 to play the game, instead of an arcade machine?

DiscoJer

I'm glad my Atari Anthology disc is backwards compatible on the 360. 80 2600 games + 12 arcade games = $300 in Gameroom.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Question: Why the 2600 version of River Raid instead on the superior 5200 version?

I'm sure this question also pre-emptively applies to many other games as well.

omgosh this reads like pr?

And yes, while I understand some shitty version of a game I got for free four years ago isn't at all related to what will show up here, it would still be cool if MS just ponied up and gave that shit out. And/Or it highlights the fact that Game Room comes off like some weird-ass implementation of an actual Xbox Live Arcade.

Anyways, getting demos of absolutely everything is more than I expected. At least it will be fun to try out a bunch of shit I've never heard of. I suppose it goes without saying that you can't access friends' arcades game rooms if they aren't online right? That would be the one feature to make me really go for this. The ability to plant a highscore on someone's machine while they aren't even around? Hell yes.

Can my Avatar sit down with a virtual Intellivision or 2600 to play the game, instead of an arcade machine?
I think they show a little console sitting on the arcade board.

jlevel13

Gazunta said:
Online multiplayer is handled via challenges only at this time.

Can you explain what this means in a little more detail? Is there or isn't there online multiplayer in multiplayer games in the sense of being able to play a two player game online against another person?

Shig said:
Question: Why the 2600 version of River Raid instead on the superior 5200 version?

I'm sure this question also pre-emptively applies to many other games as well.
Because the 2600 version is burned into my soul. It and I are the same. It is less a separate entity and more a seamless extension of my being.

Because of this, I will own the top of the leaderboard. I knew the dozens and dozens of hours I devoted to River Raid as a 7 year old kid were preparing me for something. I now know it was this.

*cues epic music, reaches for arthritis meds*

I'm ready.

Gazunta

BocoDragon said:

Yep. Each console game has its own unique stand up cabinet that has a console, appropriate controller and television in it.

So imagine you're so insanely rich you can afford an Atari 2600 just dedicated to each Atari 2600 game in your collection.

Chris R

I won't be buying any games for this right now, but can't wait for the eventual release of a joystick/trackball controller + retro controller with a dpad that doesn't suck ass + 10 games of your choice to download.

Can't see myself playing ANY arcade game with the regular 360 controller :lol

AlexMogil

Gazunta said:
Will old arcade games I bought on XBLA appear in my Game Room?

No. The reasons for this are many, mostly to do with technical issues and rights management, but the short version is that it's like asking why the songs you purchased in Lips don't magically appear in your Rock Band setlist. Game Room is a framework for our emulation to run in, not a shell to launch other people's programs.

Dumb. And that's an equally dumb excuse as to why not.

AlexMogil said:
Dumb. And that's an equally dumb excuse as to why not.

I think it was dumb that people thought an XBLA game would work in a completely unrelated program.

Did this really surprise you when this information was found out?

Grecco

Definetly excited. I saw the video on Joystiq and it has this sort of Pokemon gotta catch em all feeling with the Arcade machines. Im gonna go broke :(

Have Krome/MS said how often they will release new games? Every week ala XBLA?

rhfb said:
I won't be buying any games for this right now, but can't wait for the eventual release of a joystick/trackball controller + retro controller with a dpad that doesn't suck ass + 10 games of your choice to download.

Can't see myself playing ANY arcade game with the regular 360 controller :lol
Incentive to buy an fighting game arcade stick?

DiscoJer said:
I'm glad my Atari Anthology disc is backwards compatible on the 360. 80 2600 games + 12 arcade games = $300 in Gameroom.

Holy shit I know now what my next game purchase will be.
I have Activision Anthology, Intellivision Lives, and now I need this.

Chris R

MattyGrovesOrMe said:
Incentive to buy an fighting game arcade stick?
Don't play fighters that need a stick (and would buy on my PS3 if I was buying) and that only takes care of 1/3 of the issue. A good trackball is the only way to play Crystal Castles / Centipede, ect

Brashnir

I love the concept of Game Room, but the launch lineup leaves a lot to be desired. I'm a lot more interested in seeing arcade ROMS from games I don't already own in a collection, rather than yet another version of Tempest and Asteroids to buy.

Hopefully the lineup will expand soon to include some games I'm actually interested in buying. And how is there a bunch of Konami arcade games and no Amidar? Seriously.

jlevel13

Yeah, it's a problem with a lot of the arcade games that the 360 controller is less than ideal, especially games that used a trackball like Centipede or a knob controller, like Tempest. The unique controls were half of what made some of those old arcade games great. The other problem with Game Room is that nobody in their right mind would pay ten cents to play 99% of old Intellivision or Atari 2600 games - they were horrible originally and they're still horrible today.

Any chance of getting out some kind of more appropriate controllers?

DiscoJer

One game I would happily pay $5 for is Vanguard.

The SNK Vol 0 collection for the PSP was supposed to have the sequel (Vanguard 2) but it never materialized.

Still, I think this idea might be better if it was one of those adver-portal game deals, you know, where you play games online but there's advertising. Like Candystand, for instance.

Still offer the games for sale for those that don't want to see ads.

Indeed, Atari has some of these games up on their site

http://atari.com/arcade

Gowans

Looking forward to messing around with this on Wed and following it.

If some Speccy & Amiga games hit it I'll be over the knott.

I think Game Room is an awesome idea. But the launch line-up and age of the games they're putting up there is pretty bad.

If it was late 80s and 90s arcade games then I'd definitely be far more on board. Hopefully they're already working on this.
Diablohead said:
is it wrong for me to think we might ever, ever, get daytona usa or something on this service?
We're more likely to get a XBLA remake or something.
Gowans007 said:
Looking forward to messing around with this on Wed and following it.

If some Speccy & Amiga games hit it I'll be over the knott.
I thought this was specifically for arcade games only?

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed Atari 2600 and Intellivision in the OP. Pwned. But in a good way. Hopefully this will eventually turn in to a more streamlined version of Virtual Console then :)

And in reponse to Gazunta in the OP:

YES! C64 games would be awesome. MONTY ON THE F***ING RUN!!! And Amiga games.

But why stop there? Surely it'll be easy to get SEGA on board with a ton of Genesis games etc. So much potential for this service - please don't mess it up MS.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
hey, how'd i miss this thread?!

so you can rewind time huh? i expect this to be some sort of stealth resurgence or viral marketing campaign for the return of Blinx!

OMG Aero

MMaRsu said:
Pretty high price for the games man. Shit I was hoping these things were gonna set me back like 80MSP per game or something.
Same. I'd be fine with paying 240 points for games on the same level as NES games, not games like Asteroids.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You know what would be really useful to me?

If, every week, someone who was vastly more knowledgeable about arcade games could lump all of the releases into two categories; "Worth playing the demo of" and "Don't touch, ever."

I understand that everyone has different preferences and some people like games others don't like, but everyone can agree that there's a certain tier of poorly made unfun games that are absolutely not even worth a ten second trial, so anyone who could point those particular games out so I can avoid them would be just great :p

I wouldn't worry too much about lack of arcade games.
Once guys like Namco, Capcom, and so on realize that they can shuffle all of their B & C-tier stuff on there with little hassle they'll flood the thing before long.

In the end it should at least turn out better than the Virtual Console Arcade's offerings(especially NA/EU's)

Stumpokapow said:
You know what would be really useful to me?

If, every week, someone who was vastly more knowledgeable about arcade games could lump all of the releases into two categories; "Worth playing the demo of" and "Don't touch, ever."

I understand that everyone has different preferences and some people like games others don't like, but everyone can agree that there's a certain tier of poorly made unfun games that are inevitable any time you have a comprehensive service like VC or this, so anyone who could point those particular games out so I can avoid them would be just great :p

Should be no trouble. I'm pretty much going to be playing nothing but arcade games for my blog for the entirety of April and possibly beyond.

In fact I'll go ahead and save everyone a bit of trouble right now. The only 2600 launch game worth a damn is River Raid.

Kind of hoping Black Widow hits the week after or so. I haven't been able to spend much time with it but it's actually quite fun.

It's yet another one of those twin-stick shooters but there are some added elements like shoving enemy eggs off the playfield before they hatch to keep things interesting beyond "don't die and stuff".

Sure Atari Anthology makes owning a number of these Game Room titles rather redundant but the presentation leaves a bit to be desired. For example I can't even get full-screen without stretching these games until they look like shit(yep even games that are nothing but lines and squares can look like shit). The controls for some games are also really obtuse(I'm hoping there is an alternate control scheme for Asteroids, using one stick to turn and another to thrust/teleport is a bit of a frustration). Still for the price I paid I can put together a good enough idea of what I actually want to pay Game Room prices for.

Anyway seeing as how Atari is such a big supporter of this thing I figure Blasteroids can't be far away. Yeah I know another Asteroids game but this one at least features "advanced graphix" and all number of wacky features like selectable stages and whatevs. There are probably some other later Atari Arcade games worth checking out but at the moment I've got none on the mind.

BTW I checked out the achievements for this thing over on the XBLA thread. A lot of them seem based around buying multiple games to get the full 1000. Hate to say it but MS should consider upping the max achievement points every 3 months or so to get all those people willing to pay money just to raise their gamerscore.

Anso

240 is a lot but I'm probably gonna buy some anyway because I'm the spawn of satan.

I hope some Llamasoft games pop up. I'd play.

Dynoro

Thanks for the OT Gazunta - cannot wait for this to start and get some Jungler going!

Paz said:
That is really really expensive for emulated old games.
Really? Seems cheap to me - though I won't be buying 7 a week every week. Though it is more expensive than MAME I guess

U2NUMB

Really looking forward to trying this out and working with a bunch of friends to have a ton of games collectively.

How about Demos?

You can play ANY game in Game Room for free - once. After that, you are given the option of dropping in some virtual quarters to continue playing (40 ) or buy the game outright.

This also applies to your friends visiting your arcade, or you visiting theirs. They can try any game they don't own for free once, and any game they do own free as much as they want.

Just to check, if a friend owns a game and I visit them, this means I get UNLIMTIED DEMOS right? since each game usually plays a demo once then you have to pay for it, a friend owned game = more then one demo before paying, I take it?

Top Bottom