• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya seems to want to make the next Star Fox

Link:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/04/19/hideki_kamiya_starfox/

Text:

In a recent interview with GamesTM, Shigeru Miyamoto seemed to express interest in having a new Star Fox game made. If he's really interested, it looks like there's one acclaimed developer ready for the task.

Platinum Games' Hideki Kamiya, director of the critically acclaimed Bayonetta and Okami, had quite a bit to say on this matter at his Twitter when a follower pointed out the interview to him yesterday.

First, he Tweeted: "If they had the team that made Star Fox 64 make it..."

He then followed with: "I want Nintendo's staff to come to Platinum, stick guns at us and tell us 'You guys make a new Star Fox.'"

He went on to offer great praise for Star Fox 64, particular for its scenario and the heated battles.

It looks like Kamiya already got midway through development of his own little Star Fox. As a submission for entering Capcom, he offered two ideas. One involved wolves and ended up being the basis for Okami. The other was a 3D shooting game. However, he was so satisfied with Star Fox 64 that he thought there'd be no need to make a 3D shooter.

I'd probably buy it.

Bebpo

Banned
As much as Kamiya is an awesome guy who makes awesome games, the flying stage in Bayonetta gives good reason why this should never, ever happen.

I'd rather he make Bayonetta 2, Okami 2 (;_;) or RE2Make, but if he wants to make something new I can't fault him for it... it'd be odd to see him taking on someone else's franchise for the first time since RE2, and this time one that is definitely more established than RE was when he made its first sequel.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
badcrumble said:
I'd rather he make Bayonetta 2, Okami 2 (;_;) or RE2Make, but if he wants to make something new I can't fault him for it... it'd be odd to see him taking on someone else's franchise for the first time since RE2, and this time one that is definitely more established than RE was when he made its first sequel.
The moment Okami-den was announced it was never going to happen.

Dragmire

I don't know. Star Fox has been slutted around to so many developers that I'd prefer it either stick with Q Games, or go back to EAD.

But I would be flexible if for one other developer, if it were, say Treasure. [edit] Oh, beaten....

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
He should, I would buy a Wii to play that.

It's not that crazy considering that Team Ninja are making the next Metroid.

My purchase would be based on the strength of Bayonetta alone. If the entire game is an on-rails shooter, I'd bet cash money that he would make a damn good on-rails shooter.

Didn't he say he wouldn't want to work on Okami anymore because Capcom made a sequel without his consent? I always assumed that meant he wouldn't want to work on other devs properties. Either that or he's still bitter about it.

Anyway, I'd be all for this. If they're going to bring the franchise back, might as well outsource it to the best current Japanese third party.

If it was actually in the vein of star fox 64 than i would definitely buy it. ALL the SF games since the 64 have been shitty so it's not like he can do any worse.

InfiniteNine said:
The moment Okami-den was announced it was never going to happen.

You mean the moment okami flopped? If it's successor hadn't been announced for the DS it wouldn't have happened at all.

Yeah well, this would be the greatest thing to ever happen to my personal gaming history. Dear god. This is one of those things that I didn't know I wanted until I thought about it. :lol

Bebpo said:
As much as Kamiya is an awesome guy who makes awesome games, the flying stage in Bayonetta gives good reason why this should never, ever happen.
You know that stage isn't originally from Bayonetta, right?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
cosmicblizzard said:
Didn't he say he wouldn't want to work on Okami anymore because Capcom made a sequel without his consent? I always assumed that meant he wouldn't want to work on other devs properties. Either that or he's still bitter about it.

Anyway, I'd be all for this. If they're going to bring the franchise back, might as well outsource it to the best current Japanese third party.
He described the Okami situation as "someone getting with his girl" and not wanting to go back to it because it was now tainted.
I imagine it's totally cool the other way around though, like it is in real life.

Put Treasure on this. I'd rather them make a Star Fox game than anyone else.

Bebpo

Banned
badcrumble said:
You know that stage isn't originally from Bayonetta, right?

Being an homage doesn't mean you have to be awful.

Same goes for the motorcycle stage. 2 blights on an otherwise incredible game.

Surgeon Rocket said:
He described the Okami situation as "someone getting with his girl" and not wanting to go back to it because it was now tainted.

I imagine it's totally cool the other way around though, like it is in real life.
There's also the fact that he seems really sad now that his last few games have been critical darlings but commercial bombs.

Making a game that has sold at least pretty well in the past might be a nice change of pace that makes him happy.

Bebpo said:
Being an homage doesn't mean you have to be awful.

Same goes for the motorcycle stage. 2 blights on an otherwise incredible game.
Agreed. They both seemed like afterthoughts that were wedged in. Bags on the side as it were.

Jezan

Dresden said:
Kamiya can do no wrong.

All over my face.
P352q.gif

Nintendoooooo do iiitttt stick your guns!!!

bmf said:
Hadn't realized.
Yeah, I'm definitely not going to claim that it's a fun level, because it's not, I'm just saying that I wouldn't take it as evidence of whether Kamiya can craft a space shooter or not. A better indicator of that might actually be the brief, bizarre space shooter section of Devil May Cry, but most folks don't remember that.

ShockingAlberto said:
There's also the fact that he seems really sad now that his last few games have been critical darlings but commercial bombs.

Making a game that has sold at least pretty well in the past might be a nice change of pace that makes him happy.
Bayonetta has sold over 1.1 million copies.

ShockingAlberto said:
It didn't do awfully, but he pretty clearly wanted to do a lot better.

If you disagree, take it up with him, he replies to tweets!
He's just got high standards. That's amazingly well for a new IP, and I don't think the game cost that much to make as it essentially just uses the DMC4 engine.

Narcosis

Kamiya doing Star Fox?

Based on Bayonetta, I wonder if he's got enough self control and attention span to make a cohesive title that maintains top tier quality without a bunch of random ridiculous and poorly designed crap filling the seams.

Actually, based on Star Fox games after the original SNES title, perhaps his approach is what Nintendo desires.

ShockingAlberto said:

I don't think recent Star Fox games did much better if at all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
cosmicblizzard said:
Pikmin with big tits?

Pikmin's Extreme Beach Volleyball.

Olmarr buys a deserted island. The Pikmin go wild as if it's Spring Break.

Shocking Alberto said:

Remind me: What has he made in the past besides Okami? I know Shinji Mikami did Biohazard/Resident Evil, but this dude, my memories fuzzy on.

Edit: Oh, right, Devil May Cry. The first was flawed, but alright. The second never existed. The third hit most of the right notes (too bad I still prefer Ninja Gaiden over this series).

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
ShockingAlberto said:

I'm sure a sequel will solve all of his troubles. These days no one gives a crap about original stuff so Bayonetta 2 or whatever would do well enough. I guess.

TheSeks said:
Remind me: What has he made in the past besides Okami? I know Shinji Mikami did Biohazard/Resident Evil, but this dude, my memories fuzzy on.
He did Viewtiful Joe and uh I guess the sequel. Apparently the first only sold well relative to its budget, so yeah

TheSeks said:
Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta

Top Bottom