• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

GhaleonEB said:
Gamespot has their article up, which has some nice shots of the Boneyard layout (IGN and a few others didn't post these two, though Kotaku did). I'll add them to the OP when I find some with less odious watermarks.

Looks like the ship serves as a divider of sorts between the front and back half of the map.

Joystiq has these, but it's more difficult to grab the larger size on my work computer. Here's the smaller versions if you want them (no watermarks apart from Bungie's)

dms94w.jpg

j17b7c.jpg

Can't wait to explore this place. First few games are going to be pointless in regards to stats.

Shake Appeal said:
I think when Frankie was talking about certain directions of Halo marketing being "too much", this is what he was referring to.
I'd take a Halo dildo over a pair of boxers any day. Wait, that came out wrong...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
moving this here for discussion
WickedLaharl said:
i'm really impressed with how far bungie how come with their animation. while watching the GT footage that is what stood out the most to me.

while for the most part i agree, i do hope the "ice skating" is improved. in one of the vidocs you see a spartan (or was it an elite) use the grav. hammer then immediately skate around in that same still animation for a split second. ice skating is also clearly seen any time the armor lock AA is used. after disengaging it, players can move around with the animation not matching their motion.

a nitpick, but its pretty jarring IMO and something that i havent really seen mentioned but i'd LOVE to see fixed.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
JCan't wait to explore this place. First few games are going to be pointless in regards to stats.
I'm predicting that in the first few games of every game type, everyone is going to be flying jetpacks. Invasion will start and everyone just goes vertical. :lol

NJ Shlice

Lunchbox said:
controlsbungie.jpg

wtf is this shit. they took bumper jumper and took out the JUMP from the Bumper......

the real bumper jumper better switch A with LB

A = armor
LB = Jump

No.

LB - Jump
RB - AA
Y - Switch weapon
X - Reload
B - Melée
A - Switch grenade

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've never been a big Halo fan but after ODST I'm really excited for Reach. ODST clicked a lot more with me for some reason. I'm looking forward to the beta to see if I still suck as much as I did before when I played Halo with my friends. :lol

squidhands said:
Can't wait to explore this place. First few games are going to be pointless in regards to stats.
Kind of a small nitpick, but this is probably going to be the same situation for me. With every MP game, I usually set out to explore the maps first and get a good feel of each map before I hop into any online games. Having to learn a map while playing is pretty jarring to me. The first few matches of the beta are going to be a bit rough for me.

Merguson

Banned
The thread looks fanastic, good job to GhaleonEB and m0dus for the great work. It's simple and easy to read. The way I like it.

Keep up the good work.

Raide said:
Some team mates will wait for their team mate to get killed, just so they can have revenge and get in a secondary teabag. :lol

Like a Teabagging train. Execute, hump, get executed, return the hump, :lol

You know how you can kill an enemy thats assassinating your teammate? I was wondering if you can Assaassinate someone who is trying to assassinate yourteammate... if so, that could make a hillarious train of assassinations in which hardly anybody dies because they all got saved except for the final assassinated dude. The possibilities, hillarious train.... or hillarious flight assassination traing :-o

GhaleonEB said:
I'm predicting that in the first few games of every game type, everyone is going to be flying jetpacks. Invasion will start and everyone just goes vertical. :lol
Halo Reach: Combat temporarily forgotten

Dax01 said:
Kind of a small nitpick, but this is probably going to be the same situation for me. With every MP game, I usually set out to explore the maps first and get a good feel of each map before I hop into any online games. Having to learn a map while playing is pretty jarring to me. The first few matches of the beta are going to be a bit rough for me.
Same. At least this is the beta (preseason), and once the final game gets shipped I'll be spending a lot of time in Forge to learn the maps without wanting to yell "timeout!" to the guy shooting at my face.

dilatedmuscle said:
You know how you can kill an enemy thats assassinating your teammate? I was wondering if you can Assaassinate someone who is trying to assassinate yourteammate... if so, that could make a hillarious train of assassinations in which hardly anybody dies because they all got saved except for the final assassinated dude. The possibilities, hillarious train.... or hillarious flight assassination traing :-o

You probably can't, for that very reason.

I have only gotten the chance to read through the 1up article, but I hadn't heard about elite v elite slayer before reading it. I am guessing it was discussed earlier and I missed it, but that sounds interesting.

Spasm

NJ Shlice said:
No.

LB - Jump
RB - AA
Y - Switch weapon
X - Reload
B - Melée
A - Switch grenade
I'm hoping BJ stays exactly as it is in H3, as long as LB = both jump AND jetpack. X is fine for every other AA. I'm tarted with B melee.

FourDoor

It's almost time! Great info in the OP as usual. It made catching up from the hype thread so much easier. :D

Now i need to schedule some days off for when the Beta is scheduled to launch!

I hope there's a bumper jumper control option similar to Halo 3. Between playing Halo 3 and Left 4 Dead 2 a lot recently, B is the correct button for reloading.

broony

Copied over from the other thread from this morning (Euro timez)

So in the GTTV episode they kind of make an emphasis that on Boneyard it will be the Elites attacking and the spartans defending. Do you lot think then that other Invasion maps will see Spartans as attackers and Elites as defenders. Has it been said it will always be Elites on offence?

For example an attack on a covenant cruiser?
Stage one enter the drop ship bay by pelican and fight out.
Stage two fight through the halls and vehicle bays of the crusier.
Stage 3 get access to the command deck and hit self destruct then escape to waiting pelicans and fly off in a blaze of glory into space. Spunk.

How many Invasions maps do you think we will see and I would suspect they take a lot more rersource to build and test than your normal MP map?

snoopeasystreet said:
I hope there's a bumper jumper control option similar to Halo 3. Between playing Halo 3 and Left 4 Dead 2 a lot recently, B is the correct button for reloading.

Really, I don't like B as the reload button at all, X is fine and so is RB.

broony said:
Copied over from the other thread from this morning (Euro timez)

If we got to assault a Covenant Cruiser via a pelican or falcon, life as we know it would end.

Lunchbox

Banned
JUMP on the BUMPER

everything else can go hell, fix it bungie. if i cant jump and aim and 4 shot at the same time = Downgrade

feature parity with halo3

Lunchbox said:
JUMP on the BUMPER

everything else can go hell, fix it bungie. if i cant jump and aim and 4 shot at the same time = Downgrade

You won't be able to four-shot anything anyway, dude. :p

DualX

*Moved from older thread*

Kimosabae said:
Umm, Halo isn't Gears of War. And before you state "That's the point"; just because some element exists in another game doesn't mean it can't exist in Halo to the game's benefit.
Let's see... You know that "Spawn on your battle bro" thing that everyone is excited about? That originated from Battlefield Bad Company. Does it enhance the gameplay? Absolutely.

Where did I say Halo was Gears? I was only making a simple comparison of a similar move where you have the option to use it and therefore it isn't forced. Don't see them complaining about it at all.

Lunchbox said:
JUMP on the BUMPER

Why are you assuming that Bumper Jumper is gone? That's just the default setup.

I don't own ODST but I am tempted to buy it just for the beta :lol I would enjoy ODST too but I was never really interested in it.

big ander

Awesome thread Ghaleon and m0dus! Thanks for the hard work.

Articles today are good. They're getting me all hot and bothered. It needs to be beta time. :D
Blueblur1 said:
I want one of these. :)

Reach_Beta_Hoodie_V.png

Thanks for the go ahead, J.
Schweet. I do want that.

Kimosabae

Banned
DualX said:
*Moved from older thread*

Let's see... You know that "Spawn on your battle bro" thing that everyone is excited about? That originated from Battlefield Bad Company. Does it enhance the gameplay? Absolutely.

Where did I say Halo was Gears? I was only making a simple comparison of a similar move where you have the option to use it and therefore it isn't forced. Don't see them complaining about it at all.

Look, your comprehension is bad. This isn't important to me, so I'm done with it. I think it's a wasted opportunity. The end.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Diablohead said:
I don't own ODST but I am tempted to buy it just for the beta :lol I would enjoy ODST too but I was never really interested in it.

You can get it at a relatively low price now. I would get it, the campaign and firefight alone are worth it. To me, Midship itself was worth it :lol

So, hopefully today I can find some time to start rehearsing the song with my Pops. The title for the song right now is "Dong All Day Long", but of course that's subject to change. :lol

I wish I could let you guys hear the Tuba part. I think it's sounds awesome. :)

Toddler

Gahl, would you mind if I copied bits and peices of the OP to start a thread for another forum? I'm not wanting to steal any of the banners (as sweet as they are), but I really like how all of the info is formated and organized.

Kimosabae said:
Look, your comprehension is bad. This isn't important to me, so I'm done with it. I think it's a wasted opportunity. The end.

Your argument is bad, your basically saying that assassinations are dissapointing because they dont add anything to the game, theyre "a wasted opportunity". If Bungie rehualed the assassination system people would be pissed, this is just a nice fun little extra feature which builds on the established and already brilliant system.

Sorry man I usually respect peoples opinions but your first post said something along the lines of Halo having no depth, and this post targetted grammer, it really does seem like you havent got anything good to say :lol

-Yeti said:
So, hopefully today I can find some time to start rehearsing the song with my Pops. The title for the song right now is "Dong All Day Long", but of course that's subject to change. :lol

I wish I could let you guys hear the Tuba part. I think it's sounds awesome. :)

I cant wait for this!

DualX

Kimosabae said:
You know what, you're right. I would have had a better debate against a brick wall especially when your agrument is essentially Opinion > All.

Shake Appeal said:
Learn to FPS, noob.
wat.

chess

bumper jumper controls could stay the same but make AA left trigger and make X throw nades. Just a thought. Personally I think I'll be switching from bumper to the new default.

SpudBud

big ander said:
For that, I'll have to find you during the beta and baconate you.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100404184713/halo/images/4/44/Focus_Rifle_Cropped.png[/im][/QUOTE]
Well I wouldn't mind that so much, I do love bacon.

GhaleonEB

CrazedArabMan said:
OH SNAP...

this is a little add on for the different editions that was posted in the last thread.

If the prices are true. 0_0

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/21/rumor-halo-reach-to-stretch-across-3-retail-editions/
The $150 option allegedly contains all of the contents of the limited edition, in addition to even more "unique packaging" and in-game armor, plus a "Legendary Noble 6 Sculpture." When asked for comment, Microsoft issued its standard response: "We don't comment on rumor or speculation."
God help me. Wasn't $130 enough last time!?
Toddler said:
Gahl, would you mind if I copied bits and peices of the OP to start a thread for another forum? I'm not wanting to steal any of the banners (as sweet as they are), but I really like how all of the info is formated and organized.
Feel free. My only request is that you rehost the images, otherwise, use as much or as little as you'd like. And thanks for asking. :)

Blueblur1 said:
I want one of these. :)

Reach_Beta_Hoodie_Avatar.png

Thanks for the go ahead, owner of said avatar.
That looks an awful lot like one Mr. Vociferous, but with a fly new sweatshirt. I am green with envy right now.

EDIT: Yup, it's him. And he's playing Xbox 360 Dashboard right meow. I'm sending Jedi Mind waves of jealousy over the internet at him.

big ander

Strider2K99 said:
Just realized there's no BR. :(

And I don't want to hear about the Marksman Rifle or whatever.
Just so you know, the DMR kills in just about the same number of shots as the BR and is hitscan. Basically, it's much better than the 3 BR, from preview info. The spread and travel time with the BR make it difficult to succeed with past mid-range, and the spread makes it variable at mid-range even.
I think the Donger sounds awesome.

How much was the H3 legendary? $150 sounds great for a game I'm going to play as much as this. Edit: $130 last time, I see. Well, cat helmets prices have seemingly shot up. I'm not worried though. Oh and forgot to say: I am really pumped for Yetis song :lol

GhaleonEB said:
God help me. Wasn't $130 enough last time!?

$130 was already too much.

Its pretty bad if the Legendary edition has a unique peice of armour, if Bungie goes down the stupid route of locking pre-made in game content I will be shocked. I just dont expect that from them.

The Sarge Johnson thing for ODST was different as it didnt cost extra.

Top Bottom