• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY ending Mar. 2010 earnings

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Net sales - 1,434,365 million Yen

Operating income - 356,567 million Yen

Net income - 228,635 million Yen

Wii hardware - 20.53m

Wii software - 191.81m

DS hardware - 27.11m

DS software - 151.59m

LTD sales:

Wii hardware - 70.93m

Wii Software - 544.83m

DS hardware - 128.89m

DS software - 718.50m

Forecast for this FY:

Wii hardware - 18m

Wii software - 165m

DS hardware - 30m

DS software - 150m

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100506e.pdf

starship

Forecast for this FY:

Wii hardware - 18m

Wii software - 165m

DS hardware - 30m

DS software - 150m

starship

LTD:

Wii Sports Resort - 16.14m
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 14.70m
Wii Fit Plus - 12.65

Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver - 8.40m
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 2.61m
Tomodachi Collection - 3.20m

Mael

DarthButcher said:
Better software attachment rate for the Wii than the DS. Interesting.

How? Hardware sales are down so it stand to reson that attach rate would grow

Cipherr

starship said:
LTD:

Wii Fit Plus - 12.65

Outside of the Wii family I think NSMB Wii will be the next best selling console game this gen by this time next year worldwide.

Mael

starship said:
LTD:

Wii Fit Plus - 12.65

That puts the WiiFit at how much then?

Mael said:
How? Hardware sales are down so it stand to reson that attach rate would grow

Mainly all of the doom and gloom analysts about the Wii twisted my view. The ratio is about 8 games per system and when all if the analysts go "BUT THEY ONLY PLAY TEH WII SPORTS!!!!111!!1!!1" you get the feeling that only a few games, Wii Fit, Wii Sports Resort, etc. sell. Also, working in game retail for 3 years, it is far more common to see repeat DS software sales than Wii software sales. That is due to customer trends of playing more games on a portable platform. Finally, and this is just my personal tastes enter in, I own over 50 DS games, and at my peak only owned about 35 Wii games(until they got stolen...by Delta Airlines).

Mael

DarthButcher said:
Mainly all of the doom and gloom analysts about the Wii twisted my view. The ratio is about 8 games per system and when all if the analysts go "BUT THEY ONLY PLAY TEH WII SPORTS!!!!111!!1!!1" you get the feeling that only a few games, Wii Fit, Wii Sports Resort, etc. sell. Also, working in game retail for 3 years, it is far more common to see repeat DS software sales than Wii software sales. That is due to customer trends of playing more games on a portable platform. Finally, and this is just my personal tastes enter in, I own over 50 DS games, and at my peak only owned about 35 Wii games(until they got stolen...by Delta Airlines).

well yeah but attache rate raising is certainly NOT a good sign, it shows that there's less people interested in your machine than before, seriously I always found the fact that the 360 had such a high attach rate a sign of weakness of the appeal of the system.

then again I'm part of the believers that think that the gaming market was shrinking before the DS and Wii took off >.>.

Mael said:
well yeah but attache rate raising is certainly NOT a good sign, it shows that there's less people interested in your machine than before, seriously I always found the fact that the 360 had such a high attach rate a sign of weakness of the appeal of the system.

then again I'm part of the believers that think that the gaming market was shrinking before the DS and Wii took off >.>.

In less than 4 years the Wii has half the LTD sales of the PS2. From a developers perspective, how is attach rate rising anything but a good sign? It means more people are buying more games.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
starship said:
LTD:

Wii Fit Plus - 12.65

Damn! Pokemon sells like fucking hot cakes.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
2.61 million people bought Spirit Tracks.

That's... that's horrible. Why, people, why?

Mt Heart Attack said:
NSMBW>MW2360>MW2PS3

MW2PS3+360>NSMBW

MW2PC:lol

Nirolak said:
I don't think we've gotten official numbers on the MW2 side of that yet.

I'm sure it will beat all MW2 SKUs eventually. I'm just wondering if it could happen by next year.

starship

I don't get their forecast for DS sales this year.
30m sales of DS in this FY in spite of 3DS launch?

Woah, there's a huge drop in sales of DS games in "Other" (Europe + Austraila)

2009: 83,620,000

2010: 47,430,000

I guess that accounts for most of the drop in revenue (Like Nintendo themselves claim)

BTW: What count as "Inter Segment" sales anyway?

starship said:

That forecast includes 3DS sales.

Mael

DarthButcher said:
In less than 4 years the Wii has half the LTD sales of the PS2. From a developers perspective, how is attach rate rising anything but a good sign? It means more people are buying more games.

If the attach rate is low it means that either :
- nobody buy games
- more and more people buy the hardware, seeing as how the most general population don't give a shit about games at all it stand to reason they don't buy Day 1 all games like the core of the core few
- the core of the core are bitching people that are very hard to please if at all
- seeing how with the wii they're NOT chasing the core of the core, if they're catching less expanded people and more core people it's bad news for them because it means that their revolution was all for naught and that they couldn't expand (merely catching the core they couldn't catch before)

so attach rate rising either means that : more people buy games or less people buy the hardware, let's agree to say that since Nintendo can't provide software for everyone and 3rd parties didn't even try, it's most likely wanning interest in their hardware.

I mean the only reason their Wii hardware number is not a total disaster can be put on 2 factors (or even 1) : New Super Mario Bros Wii + Wii Sports Resort

Seeing the result of both games on the hardware, I'd say they better phase out the original pack and put the black Wii + WSR on the front from now on.
That and more 2D Mario (or more arcade style games ala wth they were doing on the NES)

Oh and it's safe to say that trains doesn't mesh well with Zelda AT ALL

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Metroid Killer said:
So this is the year that DS breaks the PS2 record... craziness, who doesn't own a DS still?

I know a couple people who don't... but everyone else does.

ksamedi

I think a price drop for the DS is incoming. They forecast higher DS sales for next year. Unless they count the 3DS as one of the DS family, I don't see how they can sell 30 million without a significant price drop.

Endgegner

starship said:

The Audience who buys the DS now probably won't know about the 3DS until the units are on the shelves. And they have still the possibility of a pricedrop.

Mael said:
If the attach rate is low it means that either :
- nobody buy games
- more and more people buy the hardware, seeing as how the most general population don't give a shit about games at all it stand to reason they don't buy Day 1 all games like the core of the core few
- the core of the core are bitching people that are very hard to please if at all
- seeing how with the wii they're NOT chasing the core of the core, if they're catching less expanded people and more core people it's bad news for them because it means that their revolution was all for naught and that they couldn't expand (merely catching the core they couldn't catch before)

so attach rate rising either means that : more people buy games or less people buy the hardware, let's agree to say that since Nintendo can't provide software for everyone and 3rd parties didn't even try, it's most likely wanning interest in their hardware.

I mean the only reason their Wii hardware number is not a total disaster can be put on 2 factors (or even 1) : New Super Mario Bros Wii + Wii Sports Resort

Seeing the result of both games on the hardware, I'd say they better phase out the original pack and put the black Wii + WSR on the front from now on.
That and more 2D Mario (or more arcade style games ala wth they were doing on the NES)

Oh and it's safe to say that trains doesn't mesh well with Zelda AT ALL

Attach rate is a useless metric anyway. The only reason why anybody even keeps an eye on it is because Microsoft like to trumpet their unusually high attach rate figure.

The only thing that is truly directly comparable are total software sales IMO. Attach rates get skewed in favour of lower selling systems (I think the GCN still holds the record for highest attach rate in the US BTW)

Cep

Banned
ksamedi said:
I think a price drop for the DS is incoming. They forecast higher DS sales for next year. Unless they count the 3DS as one of the DS family, I don't see how they can sell 30 million without a significant price drop.

Even then...

AniHawk

Mt Heart Attack said:
Seems pretty low to me?

Wii sales have been dropping pretty much everywhere, and especially in Japan. The weird one is the forecast for DS sales. 30m more puts it at about 160m WW this time next year.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. The 3DS is probably part of that. Dunno why they didn't just list it separately since we already know about it.

Mael

Nuclear Muffin said:
Attach rate is a useless metric anyway. The only reason why anybody even keeps an eye on it is because Microsoft like to trumpet their unusually high attach rate figure.

The only thing that is truly directly comparable are total software sales IMO. Attach rates get skewed in favour of lower selling systems (I think the GCN still holds the record for highest attach rate in the US BTW)

Spot on, thanks for making a readable version of my post....
And also as shown last year price drop on the DS will do N O T H I N G to spur the sales of the DS, I mean the DS XL did more to sustain the sales of the two screen handheld than any price drop could have....and it was a price hike

ksamedi

Nuclear Muffin said:
For the last time, The DS forecast includes 3DS sales, Nintendo are combining the figures together

There, sorted!

That explains it. A 2010 3DS release is pretty much set then.

BTW, when does Nintendo's Investor Relations report and meeting transcript come out? That's what I'm really looking forward to :D

ksamedi said:

In Japan at least, I wouldn't expect a western release until March 2011 myself.

Turrican3

Nuclear Muffin said:
In Japan at least, I wouldn't expect a western release until March 2011 myself.
Considering the slight drop in DS software sales it wouldn't surprise me if they launched 3DS before Christmas (2010 of course :D) here in the West, too.

Mush

They might as well post a sound clip of a cash register chiming and the message would still get across.

Reilly

ksamedi said:

It'll be released this fiscal year, which runs until March 2011, as Nintendo already confirmed. But yes, holiday looks likely.

C4Lukins

DarthButcher said:
Better software attachment rate for the Wii than the DS. Interesting.

That is what I would expect to see. People are more likely to own multiple iterations of the DS then the Wii.

D.Lo

Wii (hw): 70.93m
Wii (sw) 544.83m

MS is at 40.2m/353.8m hw/sw shipped, and Sony was at 33.5m/261.2m hw/sw Dec 31.

Assuming 2 million PS3s sold for the quarter, and if Sony's attach rate of 7.8 remains constant (Sony reports later this month I think)

PS360 (hw): 75.7m
PS360 (sw): 629m

Can Nintendo take PS360 combined in hardware and software by generation's end?

C.T.

M.I.S. said:
It would appear that 3DS is to the DS what GBA was to the GB line.

Accurate summation?

Considering how much we know about the 3DS... no. But it seems to be more in line with what the DS already introduced. Let's wait for E3.

Road

Nintendo is good on forecasting (in bold):

starship said:
Net sales - 1,434,365 million Yen 1,500,000

Operating income - 356,567 million Yen 370,000

Net income - 228,635 million Yen 230,000

Wii hardware - 20.53m 20.00m

Wii software - 191.81m 192.00m

DS hardware - 27.11m 30.00m

DS software - 151.59m 150.00m

Oh, the DS sold 3 million units less than what they expected. It's dying. They need to put a new portable out indeed.

Its funny every time I see these numbers and talk to the nintendo rep at work I always say "so how goes the world domination?" Looking forward to more games this year

Elios83

starship said:
Forecast for this FY:

Wii hardware - 18m

Wii software - 165m

DS hardware - 30m

DS software - 150m

DS numbers probably include the forecasted numbers for the 3DS launch which of course might be really different depending on the release date (Q4 or Q1).
Wii is more interesting, 18m is a great number ( PS2 did 18m in one of its best year if not its best year.. I don't recall) but that would mean the second YOY decline for the Wii which implies that the platform has peaked and Nintendo has no plans to cut the price this year neither to introduce new models (Wii HD and the likes).

gofreak said:
Does anyone have YoY comparisons for some context?

This is quickly what I've got, in 7 years first profit decline.

Total sales %22.00 Down, After tax profits are down 18.1 percent. Wii Hardware sales down worldwide 20 percent. DS sales better in America, Leveled off in Japan, and down 13 percent in Europe.

They are forecasting 2.4% down in sales and profits after tax 12.5% down for the Year( ds forecasted sales are up due to it including the 3DS)

OSK201005060112.jpg

Blue bar is profits, Red bar is sales

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jonnyram said:
I don't know how they're gonna achieve that unless 3DS is considered part of the DS line.

I'm not sure how much 3DS will help.

It's launching at best just before their last FQ and at worst at the end of their last FQ, and even momentous console launches are slow burners. For example, the Wii had 5 months in its first fiscal year (November, December, January, February, March) and did about 6 million. The DS got 5.3 million in the same-ish time period.

Just due to production issues alone, I can't see the 3DS doing more than 7-8 million in the same period, and that assumes it launches in November. If it's in January or the worldwide launch is staggered, that's a ton more sales given away.

So even being very generous to the 3DS, Nintendo still expects flat-ish sales for the DS/DSi which surprises the heck out of me.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Elios83 said:
DS numbers probably include the forecasted numbers for the 3DS launch which of course might be really different depending on the release date (Q4 or Q1).
Wii is more interesting, 18m is a great number ( PS2 did 18m in one of its best year if not its best year.. I don't recall) but that would mean the second YOY decline for the Wii which implies that the platform has peaked and Nintendo has no plans to cut the price this year neither to introduce new models (Wii HD and the likes).

Agree. Not that 18m is bad or anything, but that number tells me no significant revisions until the next fiscal year.

Top Bottom