• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami announces Castlevania: Encore of The Night - "addictive puzzle-RPG" for iPhone

Costanza

Banned
searched, and looked at first 5 pages of gaming and didn't see anything. lock if old.

Since the inception of the App Store, and specifically since the big-name studios started throwing their hats in to the ring, iPhone gamers have been clamoring for big name series on the iPhone. Capcom brought Street Fighter 4 [$9.99], Square Enix developed an entirely new iPhone RPG, Chaos Rings [$12.99] and Konami is releasing a Castlevania puzzle game, Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night.

According to Konami, Encore of the Night is an "addicting puzzle-RPG" where players will play as Alucard, the son of Dracula also seen in the classic Castlevania title, Symphony of the Night. The only details we know right now is that the game will involve playing as or against characters from Symphony of the Night, and completing puzzles will provide weapons and spells to help along the way.

It's hard to say if Encore of the Night is going to be closer to Puzzle Quest [$4.99 / Free], or more battle oriented like Capcom's Super Puzzle Fighter games– Or something else completely different. As for why they're releasing a spin-off puzzle RPG instead of any of the other games in the series, your guess is as good as ours.

Konami rarely announces games like this without having them ready for release very soon. Their last game to appear on the App Store, MLB Power Pros Touch 2010 [$7.99], was first announced hardly even a day before it appeared for download. So, Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night really could be available any time now.
http://toucharcade.com/2010/05/13/konami-announces-iphone-exclusive-castlevania-game/

edit: screens from kotaku

500x_castlevania_encore.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5538300/what-is-castlevania-puzzle-encore-of-the-night

Vamphuntr

They should have made one with Metal Gear instead. The puzzle would have been to analyze and solve the mysteries of Kojima's brain. Now that would have been awesome.

Foffy

Banned
I guess with the whole reboot they're letting even more non-IGA guys make games.

A second pachi-slot game, this, and Harmony of Despair (if that's true). Goddamn, this is worse than IGA's laziness that shows its head now and again.

There have been more Castlevania games made in the past two years than literally ever before, but maybe three of those would count as legit Castlevania games.

Iga: "I was summoned here by Castlevania fans who wish to pay me tribute."

GAF: "Tribute? You stole the franchise and made it your slave!"

Iga: "Perhaps the same can be said of all producers..."

Kurtofan

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Iga: "I was summoned here by Castlevania fans who wish to pay me tribute."

GAF: "Tribute? You stole the franchise and made it your slave!"

Iga: "Perhaps the same can be said of all producers..."
GAF:Your words are as empty as your new games!
Gamer-kind ill needs a producer such as you!

Beth Cyra

Actually I was just thinking, I am happy about the game's reveal simply because of Alucard's new sprite. Seems at least they knew better then to use his shitty design from Castlevania Judgement, so maybe only a small improvement but an imporvement none the less to me.

So if it is under ten bucks I will give it a shot.

FauX

TruePrime said:
Actually I was just thinking, I am happy about the game's reveal simply because of Alucard's new sprite. Seems at least they knew better then to use his shitty design from Castlevania Judgement, so maybe only a small improvement but an imporvement none the less to me.
Faux_AluC.jpg

Beth Cyra

FauX said:

Is it not redrawn? If I am incorrect then my bad. I just don't remember seeing the Sprite that clean and detailed, though I may have missed when it was introduced, honestly I have only played SoTN, Dawn and Judgement (Well only played games with Alucard in them.)

Ridley327

For comparison's sake:

saturn-alucard%282%29.gif

It's a really big upgrade, which makes the Rondo sprites being next to him even more baffling. I guess it's to be expected with a Puzzle Fighter ripoff.

Beth Cyra

FauX said:
*sigh* I just... wanted to see another SotN game....

Well I would certainly agree with this, I have been dying for it since the Alucard game was shown back at TGS, and my heart breaks a little more each time a game is revealed and it is not that game.

But still this is at least an improvement like I said, they ditched the terrible design from Judgement, plus if that the screens are to be believed from Harmony and it does it exist, it looked like they ripped Souma's sprite straight from the GBA game so at least in this one we are getting a new Sprite for the hero.

Though I think it will be fucking crazy if Alucard gets a new sprite for the Iphone game and yet the playable characters in the HD game are rips from the handhelds.

Instro

Maybe Alucard's new sprite is in fact for a future 2D game on the 3DS, hence why it was used while none of the enemy sprites have been changed :O

:(

Top Bottom