• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patlabor : Where piloting giant robots is just a day job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

patgaf1.jpg

The Patlabor franchise is fairly well respected among a certain generation of anime fan, but outside of that group most people will probably never have heard of it. Which is a shame because the majority of the works are excellent, and most certainly worthy of your attention.

Introduction

Helen McCarthy said:
At the close of the 20th century, a rise in global sea levels forces a massive building program in Japan, causing the creation of new "labor" construction robots. In a series that effortlessly incorporates human drama and comedy with hard science fiction, the police set up a Pat[rol] Labor division to deal with the new crime that the new technology brings.
(The Anime Encyclopaedia, 2006, Helen McCarthy)

The Patlabor Franchise

The Patlabor franchise is divided into two similar, but decidedly distinct, continuities. The first branch includes the original seven part OVA series, followed by the two movies. The second branch includes the TV series followed by the second OVA. The first continuity becomes decidedly more 'classic Oshii' as it progresses through the movies, while the second branch stays more consistently light-hearted in tone.

While there are two continuities it's not the case that you will wish to experience one, and not the other. While similar themes are explored within the Patlabor franchise it's not like one half is a repeat of the other. The OVA is an enjoyable light-hearted real-robot show. The movies are technological thrillers. The TV series does a great job of exploring some of the characters in more depth, with the majority of cast given their own personal episodes at some point or another. It also has a great number of excellent, stand-alone episodes. You can't really go wrong with any of these products.

Why it's worth checking out

While the Patlabor concept revolves around people piloting giant robots it would be wrong to assume that the works neatly fit into any genre. The robots are a far-cry from powerful Gundam's, largely being basic and slow machines designed to carry out a specific task, much like a forklift. In other words, they are not glamorous. The real stars are actually the realistic and well thought out characters that inhabit the Patlabor universe, and the stories that are told around them. It would be no exaggeration to say that the characters in Patlabor are among some of my favourites in anime. While at first glance everyone these characters may to be simple archetypes : the overly-energetic female, the crazed gun nut etc. a lot of work goes into giving these characters understandable drives and motivations which helps to raise them out from crowd of 'two-dimensional' characters that populate many shows.

Various parts of the franchise excel in various areas and so each Patlabor product is worth watching on it's own merits.

The First OVA

Director : Mamoru Oshii, Naoyuki Yoshinaga. Studio: Studio Deen. Episodes : 7

PatlaborOAVTheOriginalSeries01_A-5.jpg

The start of it all. A brief, seven episode affair that introduces you to the world and characters. It also carries with it a distinctly light-hearted feel, very unlike the Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, Angels Egg) that you may be familiar with. Interestingly for a 'mecha' show it's surprisingly lacking in combat, instead opting to explore the characters in a number of comic situations that range mad scientists to ghosts.

As it's super-short I have no problem recommending all of it. Each episode is enjoyable and interesting in it's own way. It's very important viewing if you wish to check out the Patlabor movies as well.

PatlaborOAVTheOriginalSeries01_A-6.jpg

(Cool stuff like this only really happens in the OP)

Helen McCarthy said:
Now many shows manage to so convincingly construct a whole world in just a handful of episodes, but Patlabor gives you a real sense of being...
(500 Essential Anime Movies, 2008, Helen McCarthy)

Patlabor : The Movie

Director : Mamoru Oshii, Studio : Production I.G

pat1_logo-1.jpg

Without giving too much away, this movie is set after the events of the first OVA and it details how the Patlabor team investigate a sudden raise of robot rampages within Tokyo.

The tone here is fairly different from that of the OVA, moving towards 'classic Oshii', it is largely a thriller concerned with the dangers of mankind dependency on technology.

Watching the movie without experiencing the original OVA may well be a confusing affair as it spends precious very little time introducing you to the characters, and it assumes you're already familiar with the franchise.

Like it's sequel, this remains one of the best anime movies every made, treating it's viewers as capable adults who are able to keep up with the revelations of the plot, and who won't fall asleep because they haven't seen anything explode for five minutes.

patmovie1.jpg

Patlabor 2 : The Movie

Director : Mamoru Oshii, Studio : Production I.G

pat2_logo-1.jpg

Much of what was excellent about the previous film applies to it's sequel. The things most worthy of note is that the focus is brought onto the characters even more distinctly then before, with robot action tacking a distinct back seat.

Even with a Oshii-esque speech (if you've seen other Oshii works you will either enjoy it or you won't. Personally I'm fine with it) present, this is an amazing film, perhaps even better then the first. Certainly it's plot is even more devious and complex, creating a palpable sense of paranoia and suspicion.

Once again it shouldn't really be viewed without knowledge of the Patlabor universe and characters, especially as much of the film's enjoyment can be derived from how the plot intersects with certain key characters.

Also like the first movie one is expected to keep up with a fair amount of 'political intrigue'. If that isn't your thing, then you may not enjoy this movie, however, it's still worth giving a shot. If that doesn't resonate with your tastes you may be better served by the OVA's and TV series which are far breezier.

patmovie2.jpg

Patlabor : The TV Series + Second OVA(Or P-Series)

Director : Naoyuki Yoshinaga, Studio : Sunrise, Episodes 47 and Second OVA Director : Mamoru Oshii, Stuudio : Studio Deen, Episodes 16

pattv.jpg

This is where one can find the largest amount of Patlabor goodness, in a form far closer in tone to that of the original OVA's then the later movies.

While there is a background storyline of sorts that develops over the course of the show most of the series is focused on one off episodes. If you are already a fan of the characters doing the kind of things they do, it would be quite natural for you to spend your time with this show. You don't need to have seen the original OVA either, as it doesn't assume you've met the characters beforehand. I would still recommend checking out the first OVA anyway, but it isn't essential.

As Mark on Colony Drop has said, the real strength of the Patlabor TV series is it's characters. The show won't hit you over the head with it, but over time the characters progress and develop. If you aren't paying attention you may miss it, but that's kind of the point. It's beautifully understated and feels genuinely organic, making it one of my favourite things about the whole show.

As if that wasn't good enough, the shows cast of characters is actually brimming with competent, non-sexualised females. Many of them are as good as, if not better, then their male counterparts. That a show two decades old achieves this feat, where many modern shows completely fail, is a testament to just how excellent and well-written the show is.

PatlaborTV11v2DualAudioXVIDAM033518.jpg

There are many brilliant, stand out episodes as well. For example "Red Labor Landing" contains a hilarious spoof of cold war espionage. "You Win" involves the captain of Division 2 taking his out so that they can drink together, and hopefully relieve some of the tension that has been building between team-mates. Obviously, hilarity ensues.

PatlaborTV14v2DualAudioXVIDAM034114.jpg

Other episodes chose to skewer different targets to produce humour. "The Whale That Sang a Song" satires a whole host of groups - from environmentalists, the public to the media in their dealings with the case of one whale in the wrong place. Another stand-out episode involves various two elderly Yakuza who try to settle their rivalry using Labors - and hilarity ensures. You get the picture. I don't want to spoil too much of the show.

PatlaborTV22v2DualAudioXVIDAM030018.jpg

The over-arching plot has a more serious tone then rest of the series and is interesting in it's own right. It also manages to contain a number of fairly cool fight-scenes - so everyone wins.

PatlaborTV11v2DualAudioXVIDAM037332.jpg

Patlabor : TV Series may not be perfect (a few episodes are too goofy for me) it's still one of my favourite anime television shows, for all the reasons mentioned above.

And of course, the most important reason to watch Patlabor

Patlabor-22.jpg

In closing

There is little objectionable content in any of the Patlabor works, so I believe most of products would be suitable for people of any age or taste. As I have tried to emphasise above, while Patlabor contains people piloting giant robots it is far more interested in the characters themselves. This is where much of the appeal lies in this revered franchise. Furthermore, outside of the more serious movies, the tone is generally light, further widening it's appeal. Overall the best reason to recommend any of the Patlabor works is simply that they entertaining and well-put together works.

Hopefully what you have read here will at least motivate you to check out some of the superb works in the Patlabor franchise.

Further Reading

Fall 1989 TV Cartoon on TV - Patlabor (Part 1)
Fall 1989 TV Cartoon on TV - Patlabor (Part 2)
Retro Anime Thread For other retro anime goodness.

003.jpg

Narag

That's a fine OP. This is one of the series I've neglected for far too long. I should rectify that soon.

Ronin

Funny this thread comes up because I just recently got a hold of the series. I had already seen the movies and really enjoyed them.

Looking forward to digging into this now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wanted XIII wasn't it?

Oh, and lovely OP. Liked patlabor movies 1 & 2 and will try and check out the series. Also have the 3rd movie but not watched yet.

Personally I consider the Patlabor labors to be the best 'mechs' there are. I think its the combination of giant robots with a more realistic use. Also giant fucking revolvers are always good. Gundam is fine but I'm not so keen on the jetpack shit. And the less said about FASA style stuff the better

Turfster

Jexhius said:
The Patlabor franchise is fairly well respected among a certain generation of anime fan

Thanks for making me feel old again, but I agree, Patlabor is a masterpiece - even the third movie, although it's best to consider it a side story "set in the universe" but not part of the Patlabor canon.
The manga adaptation isn't bad either, but good luck finding it anywhere outside of Japan.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
so did your company recently pick up the publishing rights or something? i get leery when the works title is consistently bolded midparagraph. >_>

Jex

mrklaw said:
Wanted XIII wasn't it?

I haven't seen it, hence I didn't include in the OP.

Pandaman said:
so did your company recently pick up the publishing rights or something? i get leery when the works title is consistently bolded midparagraph. >_>

I always bold anime/manga/film titles. I've done it in every post for months.

However, I am sitting here with the Patlabor 1 and Patlabor 2 Limited Collectors Editions and they are beautiful. Maybe I'm biased.

shuri

Banned
Pandaman said:
OP works for an anime company? Please confirm/DENY

Jex

shuri said:
OP works for an anime company? Please confirm/DENY

I'd totally love a job anywhere :lol. I don't work for anyone, I just happen to like Patlabor.

andymcc

Banned
going to check this series out. i have the two movies, pretty sure i've had them for years at that, but never watched them. thanks.

Jex

Turfster said:
The manga adaptation isn't bad either, but good luck finding it anywhere outside of Japan.

Is it any good? Obviously it's not something that's easily picked up.

Turfster

Cosmic Schwung said:
Is the manga worth checking out? I was put off after Viz dropped it so quickly
Yes, but it'll be pretty hard to come by if you don't read Japanse, since I don't think it's still in print anywhere outside of Japan, at least that I know of: Viz dropped it in English after what, 2 volumes, and the French publisher that had Patlabor went under after 18 volumes.

Lain

I just rewatched the first 2 movies yesterday!
Made me realize how much I like the second movie more than the first, but both movies are pretty good.

Jex

Damn, for UK-GAF I was going to recommend that crazy play.com deal for the Movie Special editions, where you could get both for £17.99 altogether. But it seems they've fixed that and the price is back to £62.89 :( Too good to last.

Lain

Turfster said:
Yes, but it'll be pretty hard to come by if you don't read Japanse, since I don't think it's still in print anywhere outside of Japan, at least that I know of: Viz dropped it in English after what, 2 volumes, and the French publisher that had Patlabor went under after 18 volumes.

You pushed me to check on the Italian publisher, and they still have it available for purchase. Maybe i'll start buying a bit at a time from next month.

harSon

Banned
This thread is creepy, I was literally logging onto Neogaf to make a thread asking what order I should watch this franchise on...

Turfster

Lain said:
You pushed me to check on the Italian publisher, and they still have it available for purchase. Maybe i'll start buying a bit at a time from next month.
It's by Masami Yuuki (author of Birdy the Mighty) who focuses mainly on characters in his work, which is precisely what Patlabor is all about ;). It's an adaptation of the anime, so it starts off from the same story origins, but adds enough to the story and characters to still be worth a read.

Sallokin

mrklaw said:
Wanted XIII wasn't it?

Checked the Wiki and it's officially WXIII: Patlabor the Movie 3 (Wasted 13) on the wiki page. The premise seems pretty interesting. Also it takes place between movies 1 and 2.

Was just checking around for the OVA boxset that was released a while back. It's going for 215 dollars on Amazon. WOW. I never got around to picking it up. Hope they do a rerelease in the future.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I liked the original series and the first movie quite a bit, the third movie a little less. Unfortunately I've never seen the second movie since it's not available by Netflix.

Favourite anime franchise of mine. Great characters, great design, contemplative narrative. Outside of a few other anime series/franchises, this stands head and shoulders above the relative dross we get now.

Jex

Dan said:
I liked the original series and the first movie quite a bit, the third movie a little less. Unfortunately I've never seen the second movie since it's not available by Netflix.

Pity. It's probably the best of the movies.

Turfster

Pylon_Trooper said:
Favourite anime franchise of mine. Great characters, great design, contemplative narrative. Outside of a few other anime series/franchises, this stands head and shoulders above the relative dross we get now.
It's not nice to compare stuff from the 70-80-early 90s to current output (even tho I totally agree), it's like comparing an Aston Martin to a tricycle (with some exceptions, which sadly seem to be fewer and further between)

Wow didn't expect to see a thread dedicated to Patlabor on GAF. I can practically hear "Sono mama no Kimi de Ite" just thinking about it. Ah, the days where I actually liked Japanese animation.

One day I'll find which of the boxes in my garage has my old Patlabor model kits. Rubber jacket = yes!

flawfuls

I love this franchise, it's very charming. I did never finish the TV series though.

Oh and you people who can read Masami Yuuki manga make me jealous. It kills me that so little of his work is available in English.

shuri

Banned
It's a shame that Patlabor is from the last days of animes worth watching, or not completely lame or pedo-fodder.

I miss those days.

Jex

flawfuls said:
I love this franchise, it's very charming. I did never finish the TV series though.

The last episode is pretty interesting, in that all and any action happens off-screen with the focus, rightly, being on the characters.

One of the few satisfying endings.

B.K.

I heard of the series a few years ago. I wanted to watch it, but I didn't know where to start. There are movies, OVAs, and tv series. I don't know what order they go in.

Turfster

B.K. said:
I heard of the series a few years ago. I wanted to watch it, but I didn't know where to start. There are movies, OVAs, and tv series. I don't know what order they go in.
Start with the first OVA and then the first movie.

Jex

B.K. said:

I watched it in the order they came out, which is the same way I organised the thread.

Theoretically you could split up and do it differently but I don't know how well that would go.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Someday i will watch the series and movies. It's been on my to-watch list for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom