• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor and Speculation: Wii peripheral from third party to be used by multiple pubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was asked to make this thread by Caramello.

Could just be hit fishing, could be something, but here it goes.

A big publisher will present a very promising peripheral for Wii. You might think that all sensible peripherals have been done, but not quite. This one could become quite useful. And, surprisingly, the publisher has managed to secure the support of other publishers for it, I am told. So this one will not gather dust as soon as that ´Tony Hawk Ride´ board, they hope. I will only give you a cryptic hint: the peripheral will enable some seminal DS games to be adapted to Wii better than would otherwise have been possible. A cryptic hint, like I said. Anything dawning on you?

There's also some speculation on reveals bigger than 3DS and Zelda using Wii Vitality, but I think those are pretty obvious (and likely fake).

wrowa

A third party makes a peripheral that gets support by other developers?

A third party makes a peripheral that is more successful than Nintendo's Wii Motion Plus?!

I'm shocked.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wthermans said:
Perhaps it's a tablet similar to like Mario Paint had. It could possibly even be used for Ipad ports if it was.

IIRC THQ had trademarked something people believed was a drawing tablet (for use in future Drawn to Life installments on consoles).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've followed this guy's blog for a looong time now and usually find it pretty interesting. I also know he posts on GAF. Sorry Falafelkid, but this quote is bullshit;

I also predict that Nintendo will reveal the new ´Legend of Zelda´ game to heavily utilize the vitality sensor. The peripheral is the most underrated idea, I am sure. While most game journalists seem to have forgotten about it entirely, I envisage that the sensor has the potential to become a milestone of videogaming. For the first time, you will not influence a game by pressing a button, saying a word or waving a controller - you will influence the game by how you feel. And Link lacking a sword in that infamous teaser image may be indicative of just that: you will fight your foes not with traditional weapons controlled by a mundane button or movement, but with your heart rate, perhaps triggering a more esoteric type of attack, like some kind of magic.

Not going to happen.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stumpokapow said:
I don't think he's going to reply to you. He's banned.

I dont need one.

Caramello

AceBandage said:
I was asked to make this thread by Caramello.

Could just be hit fishing, could be something, but here it goes.

There's also some speculation on reveals bigger than 3DS and Zelda using Wii Vitality, but I think those are pretty obvious (and likely fake).

Thanks for the credit :)

Yeah basically the part that we can kind of bank on is the 3rd party peripheral part. The other parts are just speculation which I'm none too sure about.

Also for people that may not know, this guy doesn't post very much but he has broken multiple stories such as the title for the original Red Steel before it was announced and he has had multiple interviews with Miyamoto among others.

Now what might this peripheral be? How could it aid in DS game adaptations? Some sort of touch based device?

Stumpokapow said:
IIRC THQ had trademarked something people believed was a drawing tablet (for use in future Drawn to Life installments on consoles).

:eek:

Sounds likely then. The speculation is a little crazy on that blog, Control Link's fighting with your heartbeat? :lol

Edit: It's called UDraw. Or UDRAW GAMETABLET

Lonely1 said:
if its a drawing tablet, why "for wii"?

Art games, maybe? Use it to map out plays in Madden?
If it's true though, it's interesting that multiple pubs are already on board with it. Must have more potential than we realize.

farnham

Banned
wrowa said:
A third party makes a peripheral that gets support by other developers?

A third party makes a peripheral that is more successful than Nintendo's Wii Motion Plus?!

I'm shocked.
guitarhero/ rockband guitars ?

I actually think that Zelda will come packed in with the Vitality Sensor and that it will use it with some crazy new ideas. Perhaps depending on your heart rate you inflict more damage because you're more pumped up and thus hitting harder?

androvsky

MindCollizion said:
I actually think that Zelda will come packed in with the Vitality Sensor and that it will use it with some crazy new ideas. Perhaps depending on your heart rate you inflict more damage because you're more pumped up and thus hitting harder?

That'd be awesome. I can just see gamefaqs now... "What drugs raise your heartrate the most? I'm stuck on a boss"

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
MindCollizion said:

You guys have to realize that this would mean 2 peripherals are required to play the game. To expect Nintendo of all companies to take that risk is delusional.

Kilrogg said:
You guys have to realize that this would mean 2 peripherals are required to play the game. To expect Nintendo of all companies to take that risk is delusional.

Plus assuming it uses the nunchuck it might not be too comfortable with a big piece of plastic stuck round one of your fingers.

Wthermans

Banned
Kilrogg said:
Technically some Wii games already do (Nunchuk + Motion+ requirements).

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Wthermans said:
Technically some Wii games already do (Nunchuk + Motion+ requirements).

Nunchucks are sold with the Wii.

MotionPlus wasn't until recently, and the Vitality Sensor certainly isn't.

I believe Nintendo hinted at Zelda using the VS. Although, unlike M+, I am sure it will be entirely optional. Think rumble pack in OoT.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Doesn't the vitality sensor hook into the Wii remote? If so then how would you use the nun-chuck to move? I remember someone from Nintendo (Miyamoto IIRC) commenting about enemy AI, your heart rate and how it would affect enemy AI in Zelda, but I doubt they use it in this next game. I could see them including a heart rate sensor in the controller of the next console though. Perhaps it will be similar to how sensors are on elliptical exercise machines.

Anyway, if the new peripheral is a pad of some sort, I would like to see first person shooters use it. That's one area the Wii remote doesn't work as well at imo.

EatChildren

fernoca said:
I hear Miyamoto went to pee right now..though is just a rumor.

Our first leak from Nintendo.

MadOdorMachine said:
Doesn't the vitality sensor hook into the Wii remote? If so then how would you use the nun-chuck to move? I remember someone from Nintendo (Miyamoto IIRC) commenting about enemy AI, your heart rate and how it would affect enemy AI in Zelda, but I doubt they use it in this next game. I could see them including a heart rate sensor in the controller of the next console though. Perhaps it will be similar to how sensors are on elliptical exercise machines.

Anyway, if the new peripheral is a pad of some sort, I would like to see first person shooters use it. That's one area the Wii remote doesn't work as well at imo.
We have only seen a prototype of the VS. I think there's a good chance when we see it in a couple days, it'll have a pass through.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Going thru some of those older posts by Falafalkid were spot on. He was talking about portable Gamecubes, 3D screens, gyroscopes, mood (Vitality) sensors and haptic feedback in 2005 before anyone knew what the controller for Wii looked like or what it's capabilities were. In fact, he leaned toward it being weak graphically, but thought it would make up for it with a stereoscopic display. He was right about the tech, but wrong in how it was implemented. It turns out the 3D stuff was about the 3DS. He also called the DS Lite coming and Wii price point as well, so I find this to be about as credible as it can get.

On a side note, perhaps we'll see haptic feedback in the 3DS after all. If he was speculating on it back in 2005 along stereo 3D, maybe it's just now coming to fruition. Either way, consider me hyped.

MindCollizion said:
I'm still trying to figure out what type of aesthetic design the vitality sensor will have that will allow you to use it with the wiimote/chuck combo....

Unless you only use the wiimote in the new zelda...

oatmeal

Banned
Wow, I'm stupid.

I read this as pubs. Like a bar...

Then I couldn't find the article mention it and closed it. :lol

Vizion28

Banned
abstract alien said:
I'm still trying to figure out what type of aestetic design the vitality sensor will have that will allow you to use it with the wiimote/chuck combo....

Unless you only use the wiimote in the new zelda...
An arm or wrist strap perhaps? And perhaps it could be wireless.

totowhoa

Banned
EatChildren said:
Our first leak from Nintendo.

:lol

Anyway, I'd be down for a Wii tablet. Could work for both Wii and DS games. Can't think of any good pointer based games I'd want to use it for instead of a remote, but I'm sure there could be some application. No idea if I'd ever end up buying it for anything, though.

Vizion28

Banned
I bet it is an Eye Cam for Wii. It makes perfect sense really.

I see a lot of money on the table utilizing motion cam tech on Wii since there is already a huge audience which it may appeal to. I seriously wondered why haven't any third party jumped on it sooner. Bundle it with a killer app and watch the money roll in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom