• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borecast 46: E3 2010, Carpal Tunnel and Lazy Eye Edition

I'm curious to know how other X-COM fans feel about the new game. Everything that's been written about it sounds amazing, it's just that one trailer-yuck.

Was sort of hoping we'd see some news on US releases of Zettai Hero or Classic Dungeon for the PSP. Maybe later this year, would hate for the games to never get to released in English.

Alex

Man this got hidden from me fast.

The X-Com trailer showed some really nice aesthetics and mood, but they were just so hard up on trying to say "Hey, Bioshock creators, Bioshock elements!" and really undermined it. For a game that actually sounds pretty promising, I've no idea why it took such a limited look and paced it so terribly.

I've always loved Xcom, but I'm just not offended by it moving away from the old isometric tactical play. If they can really do something with it, and it sounds like they can, so be it. But that trailer was just lousy.

For E3, I was pretty crushed at the lack of Xenoblade. I've never liked Takahashi, and I always used to enjoy ganging up at that series and it's fans back when it was relevant, but Xenoblade sounded so interesting to me. He went on this big spiel about wanting to reform and move away as much as possible from the dying cinematic driven style, and it did show.

If you aren't aware of the changes to it, they basically took it out of hallways and cutscenes and turned it into an open world loot hack. Kind of a mixture of the FFXII element, but with less half baking and more classical WRPG elements fused with JRPG elements. Such as the combat engine having non-cutaway design, positional work, psuedo turn-based elements but with JRPG combing and speed.

Character progression done through just utter scores of loot, apparently very well itemized, talent trees, etc. Game progression handled through questing and exploration, it looked so nice. What a waste, of all of the horrible Japanese RPGs that get dumped on our shores, this one is left behind. Especially when Camelot's Beyond the Beyond 4 is given presence at the conference. I am not amused.

I think we'll get Zettai Hero, I'm not really overly fond of NIS, but I mean they localized Disgaea Infinite, I have to imagine Zettai Hero will come over if they can do that. Honestly never heard of Classic Dungeon before. I'll have to look it up.

Ultimately I didn't get much out of this E3 for me personally. 3DS is in it's launching "spam the remakes" period, and there were a lot of 2d platformers, but I think everything else I really wanted this year was announced already. I mean Kirby and Donkey Kong look OK, but I'm not really thrilled for them or anything. Honestly, Ubisoft's 2D Rayman reboot looked far more inspired to me and I don't even like that franchise.

Still want to see more of Civ 5, hoping for a Monster Hunter Freedom 3 release date, but I'm out of ooh an ah mode already.

Oh, but I was kind of amused/annoyed at Valve outright trolling it's fans. Delaying Portal 2, announcing some awesome surprise, then that surprise is a PS3 port of Portal 2? What the hell? It's kind of fun though to see people speculating on Half Life 3, Episode 3, Counter Strike updates then wind up with a third platform for an existing game, and one that the company constantly berates as well.

Come on Frag! Why you trashing Twisted Metal mangs?

I understand. Initially I thought it was the dumbest white trash piece of shit on a gaming system, little did I know Gears of War and FPS would come to consoles and make things even more hideously retarded.

That said, ignoring the retarded presentation Twisted Metal is a fun pure action game.

Hopefully we'll see the PSP2 at TGS.

Enjoyable show as always, despite Frag pooping on the one Sony franchise I give a crap about. :mad:

Drinky Crow said:
what? no complaints about me turning ninthing heel?

You were a bit light on the retardation that is 3DS; but I suspect that's because we're beyond the point of Nintendo stunning us with their hare brained antics.

Alex

I like Twisted Metal too, on paper I shouldn't, but the antics of a fun arcade racer, a not-so-serious shooter and some mild fighting game-esque bits make it pretty amusing to me. Usually good level design too.

I didn't expect to be really interested in the new one, I mean it is a really aging venue, car combat, but they've really done a lot to forward it with the flight and the game types. It looks like half Twisted Metal and half Warhawk, and that may be pretty entertaining.

Also, I'm ashamed to admit, but I like the stories in these games. For the same reason I will sit down and watch a Final Destination movie despite knowing that it's just utter pap.

Black especially had some fun stories and had really decent co-op at the time.

I may not pay sixty dollars for Twisted Metal, but I am very interested.

Eel: I saw elsewhere that the Dead Space 2 SE for PS3 is only 59.99. So that's a decent deal, although it would still take a miracle to get me to buy a PS Move controller.

hey, i dig the final destination movies. irritating teens being killed in baroque ways makes my happy glands discharge with mad abandon

I'm mainly going off of Twisted Metal Black, not the PSOne era games that were actually very good for their time period. Black was basically everything a TM game was supposed to be, but managed to be both sedate and stupid at the same time. Also, I hate clowns.

JoWood had the next Spellforce 2 expansion on the floor and playable. If we are going to be on the guilty pleasure boat, sign me up for that.

Oh, one more thing-it looks like there will be reprints from 2K of PSP Dungeon Siege and Pirates! for $10 . Tremendous value there, both are tier 1 portable titles. I am playing through Dungeon Siege right now and am very, very impressed on how well it hits the key notes for a loot and levels oriented action RPG.

Great podcast guys. Par for the course, but it was nice to listen to a balanced discussion, rather than a fellatio-gush session simply on Nintendo.

One thing that sold me on the Move controller system was kinda what Kevin and Robert discussed for a fraction of a show - the idea of an RTS on console with high-fidelity motion controls. The one game that I'm investing in for Move is Eugen Systems' RUSE, a game that thankfully supports it. Quasi-operational level RTS with no micro and low APM sounds like a terrific way to showcase a full-blown strategy title on a console without the usual caveats of cramped controls or hamstrung gameplay. I'm behind this 100%. Hopefully, just hopefully, this brings on a channeling of that same console owner enthusiasm for shooters into varying degrees of strategy.

Using the rambunctious nature of competitive online via XBL and PSN, I hope this generates a new enthusiasm for the genre outside of its mainstay platform.

samusx

Banned
You know.
You know.
You know.
You know.

You know.
You know.

You know.

You know.
You know.
You know.

You know.You know.

You know.
You know.
You know.

You know.You know.

You know.You know.
You know.
You know.
You know.You know.

You know.
You know.

You know.

You know.
You know.
You know.
You know.

That fuckin ass keeps saying that. I can't listen anymore.

I know.

But I'm not perturbed. I like it.

EDIT: See, the one thing I don't know is if you're being facetious or are simply a stooge. The Samus avatar isn't helping.

samusx

Banned
I do want to say, I enjoyed the conversation, and found what the guys were talking about interesting to listen to.

But it was a challenge to my patience to listen to all the way through.

samusx said:
I do want to say, I enjoyed the conversation, and found what the guys were talking about interesting to listen to.

But it was a challenge to my patience to listen to all the way through.

It'd be arrogant to suggest you need to give their other podcasts a listen - you might have already - but the Borecast is one of the most entertaining and eloquent of geeky podcasts you're going to find. I find Kevin's southern brogue a nice contrast to Robert and Doug, not to mention he seems like a really nice fellow.

But hey, taste is all your own.

Alex

Fragamemnon said:
I'm mainly going off of Twisted Metal Black, not the PSOne era games that were actually very good for their time period. Black was basically everything a TM game was supposed to be, but managed to be both sedate and stupid at the same time. Also, I hate clowns.

JoWood had the next Spellforce 2 expansion on the floor and playable. If we are going to be on the guilty pleasure boat, sign me up for that.

Oh, one more thing-it looks like there will be reprints from 2K of PSP Dungeon Siege and Pirates! for $10 . Tremendous value there, both are tier 1 portable titles. I am playing through Dungeon Siege right now and am very, very impressed on how well it hits the key notes for a loot and levels oriented action RPG.

I've never actually heard much about Dungeon Siege on PSP. It's pretty quality? I wonder how the multiplayer is. Could be a nice new thing to rig up on Adhoc Party.

Hell, though, I've yet to play through any of Phantasy Star Portable yet either, although at this point I am somewhat just biding time for the sequel. I felt a little too dissuaded by the Universe tuning and changes to hop into it until the real raving came in.

One thing that I wanted to ask you Frag, is if you knew much about Disciples III was shaping/shaped up. I've been pretty lapsed out of strategy gaming for awhile, but if something could pull me back in it'd be a one-two combo of Disciples and Starcraft.

All I really know is that it swapped developers, and it's been quite awhile since the last one.

I find Kevin's southern brogue a nice contrast to Robert and Doug, not to mention he seems like a really nice fellow.

I do too, Kevin seems like a cool guy. I really enjoy the mix of personalities and tastes in this podcast, and at the same time with that spectrum it still manages to cater to subjects and titles (across the mediums) that I enjoy almost specifically.

That and it's largely impressions and conversations moreso than clash of the egos. I don't dabble much in podcasts, but the bit I have... I've seen some real nonsense.

Fragamemnon said:

That's a bummer.

Jaffe had an interview on the Twisted Metal: Head On PS2 port where he said they spent way too much time on the story, characters, and presentation in TMB (well at least the presentation was good) and admitted the game play suffered for it. A good admission from him, which corresponded with my own feelings on that entry in the series.

I dislike clowns as well.

Imagine baby TToB and the clown painting in his room as a child. Since I grew up in the "Children should be seen, not heard" era, I never could tell my folks how much that painting of the creepy man staring out at me from behind the grease paint in my room was. D:

Then there were the marionettes. . .

I'm pretty certain my youth was a series of decisions to instill deep fear in my psyche. >:|

samusx

Banned
Well I like the podcast, you know. The topics are good, you know they get along well, and you know they seem like nice guys you know.

You know they seem smart and explain their points of view well, you know.

Nothing about the quality of the content, it just always gets on my nerves trying to listen to this podcast the whole way through.

There are a few annoying linguistic habits that bug me. For example when people constantly say, 'like', 'right', 'you know' when it's completely unnecessary.

samusx said:
Well I like the podcast, you know. The topics are good, you know they get along well, and you know they seem like nice guys you know.

You know they seem smart and explain their points of view well, you know.

Nothing about the quality of the content, it just always gets on my nerves trying to listen to this podcast the whole way through.

There are a few annoying linguistic habits that bug me. For example when people constantly say, 'like', 'right', 'you know' when it's completely unnecessary.

It's kind of tough to unlearn years of speech habit and patterns. I often find myself being super sensitive about using "like" as a pad in conversations.

I need the American equivalent of that nifty thing the Japanese do where they just carry a sound while processing data for further conversation. :p

You may not believe this, but I almost never say it in real life (if you've ever played with me online you will notice the lack of "youknows."). I am aware of it, and have mentioned it to Doug and Robert before during breaks and in our pre-recording conversations. Don't know where I picked it up, but the more I become aware of it the more helpless I am to stop it. I'm stuck in one of those loops, not unlike trying to get a song out of your mind. Calling me a fucking ass just makes me confuse you with family members and ex-girlfriends, you know.

Eel O'Brian said:
You may not believe this, but I almost never say it in real life (if you've ever played with me online you will notice the lack of "youknows."). I am aware of it, and have mentioned it to Doug and Robert before during breaks and in our pre-recording conversations. Don't know where I picked it up, but the more I become aware of it the more helpless I am to stop it. I'm stuck in one of those loops, not unlike trying to get a song out of your mind. Calling me a fucking ass just makes me confuse you with family members and ex-girlfriends, you know.

Keep up the good work, Kevin. The triumvirate of judgment needs no vocal augmentation.

good e3 talk

paradox did announce majesty2 for ds :))

also some weird crap with crusader kings 2 will be announced when they get 25k something whatever for a facebook page. I don't use facebook so no idea what

Drinky Crow said:
alex: last i heard, disciples iii was a total botch in its eu release (http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9490), and they were heavily reworking it for the us release.
well russian release. the europe release is next week with the us one, will be fun to see if they've actually done anything to it. heh

Top Bottom