• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gothic 2: Does it stand the test of time?

GHG

What are people here's opinions on the game? Does it stand the test of time or does it suffer by todays standards? From the reviews I can see that when it was released it was groundbreaking at the time but that was a long time ago now. Its available for dirt cheap on steam at the moment so wondering if its worth the plunge or whether I'd be better off buying a box of cereal?

Does it support widescreen as well? I've done a quick look for graphics mods on the net but there doesn't seem to be anything in that respect. Anyone know of any mods that are worth a damn for the game like there are for Morrowind or will I just have to accept the way it looks?

So whats the current GAF consensus on this game?

Clevinger

If you can get past the graphics, awful controls, voice acting, bugs, animation, difficulty, et cetera, then sure.

If it's dirt cheap, then just get it and try it out. It's a great game underneath all its many flaws.

If you're that curious I'm not sure what's stopping you. The barrier to entry at the moment is $1.99...and that includes Gothic 3. Just do it!

BeeDog

It's my second favorite game of all time, so I have an easy time overlooking its many 'quirks' that frankly haven't aged well (controls that require a lot of the player, bad graphics, average voice acting etc.). But the game world STILL remains one of the best, if not THE best, ever in a game, mainly thanks to being fantastically hand-crafted in each and every nook.

It's a fantastic game, but if you don't have the nostalgia for it, I can bet it will be hard to get into it.

Clevinger

Oh, and you should keep in mind that there's no (or very limited) mouse support. So you have to do every single thing via the keyboard.

It really amazes me how bad they fucked up the controls. It's like a really bad console-to-PC port, but it's not. :lol

GHG

echoshifting said:
If you're that curious I'm not sure what's stopping you. The barrier to entry at the moment is $1.99...and that includes Gothic 3. Just do it!

Because if I buy several bad games for $1.99 it adds up and I'm not in the business of doing that this time. I did that during the xmas sale and regretted it because I now have a bunch of games in my collection that I'm just never going to play because either they are bad or they are 'classics' that simply don't hold up very well.

Gothic II, despite me not finishing it, is easily one of my favorite RPGs. You actually feel like you WORK for getting a level-up. Dialog is decent, and if you tweak the controls you can have it control exactly like modern day Bethesda games (oblivion, fallout 3, etc) There's so much to explore, and you really have to choose how to beef up your guy, as skills are challenging to aquire/improve. There's no way you'll be a proficient warrior AND a good mage, because the game treats it as fairly unrealistic when it comes to the game's world. So you gotta pick what you want to do, and do it.

Great game. I really can't wait for Gothic 4.

Danneee

Clevinger said:
Oh, and you should keep in mind that there's no (or very limited) mouse support. So you have to do every single thing via the keyboard.

It really amazes me how bad they fucked up the controls. It's like a really bad console-to-PC port, but it's not. :lol

On the other hand, this would be perfect for playing the game on my laptop when I don't have room to use a mouse :)

Zeliard

Clevinger said:

Whaaaat

Clevinger

GHG said:
Because if I buy several bad games for $1.99 it adds up and I'm not in the business of doing that this time. I did that during the xmas sale and regretted it because I now have a bunch of games in my collection that I'm just never going to play because either they are bad or they are 'classics' that simply don't hold up very well.

There's a demo out there. So give it a try and see if you can see yourself getting past its flaws.

http://www.fileplanet.com/151400/150000/fileinfo/Gothic-II-Demo-

Mouse control be damned. After an hour I was completely conditioned to the game's controls. Honestly by the time you start getting into the game you won't even notice.

Seriously. This is a goddamned RPG.

aasoncott

Gothic and Gothic 2 ruined other RPGs for me.

I remember picking up Oblivion, years after playing Gothic, and being dumbfounded the first time I went into a building and had to sit through a damn loading screen. Totally killed the immersion. I always assumed that it's something they'd "fix" for Fallout 3... and I'm still angry every time I was up to a building and can't see in the window. Gothic was amazing in how seamless the world always was. From dense forests to deep caves to sprawling castles, you always felt firmly in the world and not stuck in an instance within it.

Gothic and Gothic 2 are the most immersed I've ever been in an RPG.

Did they stand the test of time?

I don't know, but I'll find out. DAMN YOU, STEAM SALE.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
disappeared said:
Mouse control be damned. After an hour I was completely conditioned to the game's controls.

I was not. If you expect competent presentation and UI design out of a game, you will not get along with Gothic 2. I get why they're loved, but I have never been able to tolerate them for long.

Blackheim

Clevinger said:

That was Gothic 1, the second has an alternate keyboard/mouse config somewhere :)

Just pick up Risen, it has better controls and presentation, other than that it's pretty much Gothic.
But if you do chose Gothic 2, take care that it can be a time sinker

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
But what about Gothic 3? Is it a step forward or what? I hear a lot more about Gothic 2 than 3.

Prime crotch said:
it's crap, patch or no patch

Yeah, I wanted to like it. Graphics were incredible, but the gameplay was terminally clunky. Post-patch was alright, but I didn't feel the desire to work for my success in the game, as opposed to Gothic 2 where I wanted to get good.

LAMBO

Gothic 3 did get boring to me and i haven't finished it yet, but i did play it for 40+ hours, or maybe 60 i can't remember, so i say i got my money's worth ($5). I think i will finish it some time it, is fun if you're into these type of games. I just got bored because it was the only thing i played for a long while. It's not as good as gothic 2, and watch out for those PIGS they are badass, the most powerful pigs in gaming ever! Make sure you use the community patch thing if it isn't included in this (don't see why it wouldn't be). Game got shitted on because it was a mess when it was released but i played it with the community patch and haven't had any problems with anything.

If i hadn't played them both i would get it for 2 damn dollars, that's best deal i've ever seen as far as I'm concerned. I may even still get it if i think i want to replay gothic 2 some time(don't think i have the game anymore).

hm. never tried it but I imagine the gothic games would be great with a gamepad. might try this right now with gothic 3

but awesome games. gothic 3 is pretty much the best game ever

disappeared said:
risen you mean. arcania could still be ok, hope so

Druz

Best RPG ever... amazing soundtrack that gets even better at 6am after a night of marathoning. If you guys play gothic 2 and like it, buy Risen next. So good folks.

Druz

disappeared said:
Gothic II, despite me not finishing it, is easily one of my favorite RPGs. You actually feel like you WORK for getting a level-up. Dialog is decent, and if you tweak the controls you can have it control exactly like modern day Bethesda games (oblivion, fallout 3, etc) There's so much to explore, and you really have to choose how to beef up your guy, as skills are challenging to aquire/improve. There's no way you'll be a proficient warrior AND a good mage, because the game treats it as fairly unrealistic when it comes to the game's world. So you gotta pick what you want to do, and do it.

Arcana a gothic shittale or a true Gothic IV?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i shouldnt skip 3 at these prices though, should i? There's got to be some really good things about it, right?

The trilogy/quilogy is on Steam sale right now and I've long lost the CDs for these games. 4 bucks for the first 3 games and 10 for all 4. I have to say Gothic 2 is a ridiculously good RPG. As far as graphics holding up goes, the mod support is fantastic. It looks phenomenal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwzU8wICVuA&feature=youtu.be

I absolutely LOVED Gothic 1. I had 200 hours in on that game back in the day. Seriously(I had a save file that was unwinnable and had to replay the whole thing again because I'm a dumbass and didn't save to more than 2 slots. Stupid days before patches). But Gothic 2 I didn't like as much, mainly because the world was so big and hard to traverse. Now that I'm older, I'm allowing myself to cheat by going into the console and giving myself speed potions. I'm only allowing myself the ability to run fast, I'm not allowed to sell them and it basically has no impact on combat. With that said, by Jove this game is amazing!

I have a difficult time quantifying why I love these games so much and have a disdain for anything Bethesda. Perhaps it's the feeling of accomplishment and the bitter taste of defeat. Perhaps its the way they handle NPCs as a complex interconnected ecosystem that involves scheduling, fighting, allying, and talking amongst each other. Rather than just quest markers. Maybe it's the fact your decisions have hard consequences in regards to how the game plays out.

Don't believe the hype about the controls. They're fine. It takes a bit of time to get used to, but overall they're quite simple and become intuitive.

KHlover

Banned
Yes, yes it does. Not as glitchy as Gothic 1 or 3, acceptable controls after you enable mouse support, still great story, great world building, great sidequest. Sword Combat feels a bit outdated by now, but the magic still feels great. Summoning an Undead Army or a Rain of Fire for the first time after working your way up the ranks and gathering the ingredients needed to create the runes still feels so damn good. With The Night of Raven it also got one of the best addons I've ever played, tied with Shivering Isles probably.

Forget Oblivion or Fallout 3, Gothic 2 is the best RPG of the last decade.

Jotthah

I loved Gothic II to death. If you can get the add on (Night Of The Raven) with it it'll be even better.

I can't say too much about the voice acting, since I only played the game in german and the VA was fine.
It's easily one of my favourite RPGs of all time, there are almost no loading screens (not even for something like fast travel) and there is just a whole lot to do besides the main story (get a job, master alchemy that sort of thing)
The controls are certainly "excentric" but really easy to get accustomed to.

Moff

it's still fantastic, played it last year after risen 3 (and risen 1, 2 and gothic 1). one of the best RPGs of all time and better than most todays games in many aspects. such a free and living world.
I definitely recommend gothic 1, too. though. it's a bit different but with a great concept. took me a long time getting into it though, especially after risen 3 because that played so smooth.

Acosta

Gothic 2 is immortal.

Absolutely the best thing that has done Piranha. I hope they rediscover their mojo because I was really really let down with Risen 2 and 3.

In a word - yes.

It's one of my favourites WRPG's and now because you brought it up I'm going to reinstall it on my new rig.

Yay for the compatibility issues this will bring but it'll be worth it.

-SD-

Banned
Gothic 2 is immortal.
Yep. Graphics have gotten old but the gameplay, world design, exploration, atmosphere, story etc. still kick ass.

Gothic 2: Night Of The Raven (Gothic 2 Gold) is still the best game I've ever played.

- - -

Speaking of graphics, there's a DirectX 11 mod for Gothic 2: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1429766-D3D11-Renderer-für-Gothic-2-(alpha)-11

Together with "L'Hiver Edition Grafikpatch" the game's looks have received a nice overhaul:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv_KjOrjcAA
Higher quality: https://yadi.sk/d/Y3Hd6KP5eqTcG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=156&v=Ctuhg8ym-Hk

EDIT: I'm blind. Sunnington already mentioned this.

Banzai

Nice necro, but yeah.

Gothic 2 is one of the absolute best RPGs of all time if you tweak and get used to the controls.

I've played a lot of RPG's, but G2 has the honor of featuring the worst controls I've ever used in the genre. Coupled with the fucked-up camera, it had me getting a headache every time I tried to jump into it.

Never again. To think, I took RPGCodex's recommendation as gospel.

orborborb

I'd go with Risen 1 first, and then Gothic 1 if you can enjoy learning a crazy control scheme (just learn the defaults, don't try to make it play like any other game). I still haven't gotten very deep into Gothic 2. It may be their best game overall, but it didn't get me to care about it within the first few hours the way Risen 1 and Gothic 1 did.

Claptrap

One of my favorite games of all time.
In my opinion it is still the best designed world in an RPG!
Everyone that has the slightest intrest in RPGs should give this game a chance and should try to look past its flaws and age.

Gothic 2 is my favorite WRPG and Night of the Raven is the best expansion to anything ever.

It should be mandatory for open world RPG-devs to play through the first two Gothic games and see how a believable, atmospheric and fun to explore world should be crafted. Because playing through something like an Elder Scrolls game it's obvious they don't fucking get it.

Galileo

Neo Member
Anyone even remotely interested in RPGs should play this game, especially those who are skeptical of the open-world formula.

I really don't understand the argument against the controls. The only thing that's a little different is how the character has a turn ratio, and the combat is a bit unique. Overall it's pretty simple and quite a bit more intuitive than, lets say, The Witcher 1's combat.

Odah

Banned
Gothic 2 was one of the games that got me into RPG's, I absolutely loved it!

A few years later I bought Gothic 3 for cheap money and all I can say is:

WHERE IS THE GURU?

KHlover

Banned
Gothic 2 was one of the games that got me into RPG's, I absolutely loved it!

A few years later I bought Gothic 3 for cheap money and all I can say is:

WHERE IS THE GURU?

Hint:
You'll need to find four particular chests.

Top Bottom