• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cedar Point, Ohio - DISCUSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
CedarPoint.jpg

I'm going here for two days over the Labor Day weekend. I've never been here before. I hear good things. But all parks are different - what rides are most popular, how to avoid the worst of the lines, etc.

So, I'd like some tips and general commentary about the park. From what i've heard, it has the most rollercoasters in the world (17) and the most rides period.

Are the lines generally awful? Which rides are the best? How would you rate the park?

DISCUSS.

Best roller coaster park in the world. Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragsters should be first on your list as they're awesome and get the longest lines.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Been there once and it was damn awesome.

Top Thrill Dragster's line was like 3 hours long so I didn't get to ride that one. :(

Mantis sucks, skip it.

It's pretty awesome. Millenium Force, Sky Hawk, Raptor, Wicked Twister, Top Thrill Dragster (even though it lasts like 3 secs), Max Air, are my favorites. I haven't been there in a few years, but i've heard great things about the Maverick also. The lines can be pretty long, and therefore the wait can be pretty long, but the rides are worth it. You'll have a great time, i'm sure sometime this Summer still, if not, i'll be there for Halloweekends, which is the best time in my opinion.

Someone post that picture of it, the one that always gets posted when someone mentions Cedar Point. I can't find it, but it's the most glorious picture of a theme park you'll ever see.

Not that I'd ever go, I hate rollercoasters, ha.

Amir0x

Banned
how long can one expect to wait on a line on a busy weekend?

I hate waiting on lines and some parks are much better at line management than others so this is always my main concern

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oh man. I haven't been to Cedar Point since 1999. But I remember it being amazingly fun. The ride I remember the most would probably the Raptor, or whatever it's called.

Expect hour+ line waits on most anything.

ultron87

Best park for Roller Coasters in the World.

The most popular rides will probably be Top Thrill Dragster and Millennium Force, as they are the tallest and fastest.

Millennium Force is totally worth the wait.

The Dragster is going to have to be a personal choice for you. Its the tallest and fastest ride in the park, but it takes about thirty seconds as it just launches you up a big hill, sends you down it, and it is over. If you want to wait 2 hours for that you certainly can. Also know that it breaks down pretty often compared to other rides.

The best coaster in the park is the Maverick. It isn't super tall or fast but it down some really cool stuff with its loops and twists and is just an amazing ride. I dunno what the average wait time on that one is.

Since you are going over a holiday weekend you are going to have to wait a long time for pretty much anything unfortunately.

Don't ride Disaster Transport unless you are just using it as a means to get inside for awhile. It is a waste of everyone's time.

Rctdaemon

It's been a couple of years, but if I remember correctly, Raptor will be most people's first stop since it's the closest to the entrance, so it would probably be best to save that until later. If you get there early enough, hit Top Thrill Dragster first because (at least when I went) the line was extremely long. We didn't go on it, but we still managed to hit pretty much all of the others that we wanted to in a single day. The nice thing about there being so many coasters is that beyond Dragster and Millenium, none of the lines were too bad when we went.

Amir0x said:

I hate waiting on lines and some parks are much better at line management than others so this is always my main concern
Depending on the ride, alot of times 30-45 mins, the bigger rides like the Millenium Force and Dragster could take more than an hour.

Max@GC

Nazgul_Hunter said:
Best roller coaster park in the world. Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragsters should be first on your list as they're awesome and get the longest lines.

Yup. But I was there on a weekday and only had to wait like 15 minutes to ride with both.

bigcheese

If you're going on the weekend, there could be long lines on some rides. Go there at opening and once they let everyone in, run to what you want to ride most if it's one of the ones that will have long lines (Millenium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Maverick)

Just went there on friday with a group of friends, got on 17 rides, all major coasters at least once. You need to ride the Maverick, Millennium Force, and Dragster at least. Of course we only had 15 minute waits on average for most of the rides too, it was the perfect day to go. :D

AeroGod

Lines CAN be pretty awful when the park is really busy. Even the older coasters like Magnum, Gemini and Iron Dragon can be an hour or more while the main attractions like MF and Dragster and fan favs like Raptor and Mean streak can be between 2 and 3 hours. Thats when the park is really busy. I remember when the newest coaster(forgot name) opened like 3 years ago or so one day we went it was almost a 4 hour wait to ride it. : /

I live about 30 minutes from the park so i go a few times a year. Sometimes its not too bad and the waits are no longer then 45 mins for the main rides and older coasters you can basically walk right on. Other times it can be ridiculous and spending a whole day at the park you may only get on 4 or 5 rides if you do the main ones.

Having been to most of the big amusement parks in the country i can defiantly say IMHO its probably the best overall and certainly the best for coaster enthusiasts. I love wooden coasters and Mean Streak is probably my favorite but they are all good. If the park is busy tho and you can only ride 5 or so coasters I would recommend Mean Streak, Millennium Force, Raptor, Top Thrills Dragster and either Mantis or Gemini .

You should have a total blast if its your first time. Have Fun!

Amir0x

Banned
Ninja_Hawk said:
Depending on the ride, alot of times 30-45 mins, the bigger rides like the Millenium Force and Dragster could take more than an hour.

Alright, kind of a drag but with two days hopefully I can hit up most of the rides and not be too frustrated.

So Millennium Force and and Dragster are the ones to hit, eh?

Which is the ride that basically shoots you straight up a 90 degree angle, and over down another 90 degree angle?

Tain

^ That's Dragster.

Go there often, I can't even remember the times I've visited other amusement parks all that well.

Raptor is a pretty great ride (lots of my friends consider it their favorite), and it's usually not a bad wait at all.

Millennium Force is my favorite.

geeko

Amir0x said:
Alright, kind of a drag but with two days hopefully I can hit up most of the rides and not be too frustrated.

Which is the ride that basically shoots you straight up a 90 degree angle, and over down another 90 degree angle?

Top thrill dragster

Amir0x said:

Dragster. Yeah I checked I thought it was the Maverick for some reason. Haven't been on that one yet, but I hear it's awesome. The Dragster is probably the one you'll wait the longest for, and it is an experience but....if it's a busy day you'll end up waiting an hour or two and it's a REALLY short ride....to the point where you may feel disappointed that you wasted all that time waiting...so i'd take a look at the line going past there, and if the wait is too long (there should be a sign telling you the approximate wait time) I would go skip it and hit all the other rides, possibly come to it the next day. Either that or if you're there early make sure you go there first.

andymcc

Banned
Millenium Force and Maverick are the two best roller coasters i've ever been on.

cedar point is easily the best part of living in ohio. :lol

Alright, expert in da house.

The rides on a weekend in the summer will be, as expected, pretty shitty. I'd say you should expect a 2 hour wait for big rides such as Millennium, Maverick (best coaster in the park), and possibly even near 3 hours for the Dragster. The Dragster is cool and all, but I honestly wouldn't bother unless you get lucky and see it only has an hour wait (usually due to the track not responding correctly and the park closing the ride down for a few hours).

Here's what you do...er, here's what I do anyway, for the best possible experience.

1) As soon as the park opens, everyone usually bolts for Millennium or the Maverick or the Dragster. Don't do that, you'll be in those lines for ages. Go straight to the Raptor, you'll only wait 20-30 minutes TOPS. I've been able to get through the line in about ten minutes before.
2) Right after that, go towards the Max Air, probably the most enjoyable all around ride in the park, if you ask me. Line won't be long, probably only 20 minutes.
3) From here on, it's up to you, but my friends and I like to head alllllll the way to the back of the park and work our way to the front throughout the day, unless a long line obstructs that plan (which it usually does). The Magnum is a fantastic old coaster that will make you giggle like a school girl near the end, and that wait is near obsolete for it. The Gemini is okay if you have friends that go on the other train (it's like a race). Otherwise its underwhelming.
4) AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE:
-Mean Streak --- one of the most painful rides ever.
-Cork Screw --- unless you want your neck broken
-Blue Streak --- kiddy ride
5) For lulz, go to Disaster Transport. It's always malfunctioning and the so-called "theme" to the ride is hysterical.
6) Once you make your way up towards the front of the park again (you're inevitably going to have to bear a multiple hour wait for the Maverick/Millennium/Dragster---it's your call, but I'd go with the first two and skip the last), ride the Raptor again. It's a ton of fun and never has a long line. It tops the day off quite nicely.

Oh, and don't even bother with their food, it's terrible. I'd just eat a huge breakfast and then afterwards get a late dinner somewhere outside of the park. Bring snacks instead.

You'll love it even if you have to cope with waiting. Best theme park around, bar none.

GhaleonQ

It's not ACTUALLY the best 1 in the world, but it's definitely the best in the U.S. It totally lives up to the hype. Don't eat before going and pack light stuff to eat during the day. Ride Mean Streak, because it's 1 of the fastest and tallest wooden roller coasters in the world, and even the most solidly constructed wooden ones feel rickety enough for your brain to convince you that you're about to die. Otherwise, follow your own tastes, especially because (unlike 6 Flags parks) there's never a fluke low attendance day. You'll always have to wait.

DeathbyVolcano said:

Exactly. Seriously, ride it at least once.

andymcc said:
Millenium Force and Maverick are the two best roller coasters i've ever been on.

cedar point is easily the best part of living in ohio. :lol
That's what you have to remember. There's not much more to do in That area except go to cedar point; which is why it's always so packed. :lol :lol :lol

Just went last week with family on a Saturday. 45 minutes for the Millennium is not as bad as recent years. Raptor, Millennium and Magnum are my favorites. If you're a fan of the Magnum, you're in for a treat as the line is never very long. It's a good coaster to ride when you're sick of waiting in line all day. Dragster is fun but has a tendency to break your heart when you're literally the next person on and the damn think breaks down. I kid you not, this happened to me twice.

Food and food prices suck something fierce. Eat a light breakfast before you go and try not to let the park swindle you out of $3 bottled water and whatever they charge for microwavable quality chicken fingers and other various edible garbage. That is really my only glaring complaint. Sooooo much fun.

ultron87

DeathbyVolcano said:
-Cork Screw --- unless you want your neck broken
-Blue Streak --- kiddy ride

Absolutely agree on Cork Screw and Mean Streak. Painful and stupidy designed and no fun at all. Blue Streak can be fun if you like an old school wooden coaster. Especially considering the 'wait' will be running up to the station and having to wait for one train to load and then getting on the next one.

Amir0x said:

One of the best things about the part is that there are so many great coasters that the ones that aren't the hottest new ones have very reasonable lines. At leas that was true when I used to get there regularly, which was a while ago.

Edit: And I love the Mean Streak. If you like rattle-y wooden coasters, this one is great.

JCX said:
the main reason for anyone to go to ohio

Geuaga Lake used be just as awesome as Cedar Point back in the day. The Batman, The Villain and X-Flight were amazing coasters. The water park was free too. Now it's just the water park :'(

Red

Is Mean Streak the big one by the water ride area? God, that one's awful. It's slow and uncomfortable. Millenium Force and Raptor are probably the two best. Haven't been there in a few years (which is a shame, since I live only about 20 minutes away), so I can't speak on the Maverick. Top Thrill Dragster is okay, but it's like two+ hours of waiting for literally fourteen to twenty seconds of actual ride. The Mantis is another one that's pretty good.
Ignatz Mouse said:
Do some of the older coasters, like the Gemini, still run? The 30-year old coasters have very short lines and are still good.
Gemini was up last time I was there. It's probably the best wooden coaster at the park.

Might be worth mentioning that I've seen two incidences of people in the first car of the Millenium Force explode birds with their faces on the first hill.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Easily the best theme park I've ever been to, far better then any Six Flags. I don't get the Corkscrew hate, aside from one slight bump its stupidly fun, especially if the line is short. Millennium Force is a must ride, and I'd say check out the Gemini as well. Also, that new red one they just put in over by the swings, I don't remember the name, but I rode it the first summer it was open, and it was pretty wicked. Also, the Raptor, nothing to write home about, but if the line is short, and everywhere else is long...

See, its a shame you can't go during that preceding week. A lot of schools in neighboring states start school before labor day wekeend, so that one week the park is usually deserted. My brother rode the Corkscrew nine times in just over two hours once.

Cday

Banned
Prepare to walk until your legs fall off.

Start small, maybe with the Maxair or Wicked Twister which are both near the entrance. Maybe hit the Millenium or Maverick later in the day when it's not as hot because those lines are long but both rides are worth the wait. Don't waste your time with the Dragster. I always found the Magnum to be a good coaster to ride when it gets dark before calling it a day. Like a cooldown of sorts. Also the Magnum line that late is usually 10 minutes.

Nazgul_Hunter said:
That's what you have to remember. There's not much more to do in That area except go to cedar point; which is why it's always so packed. :lol :lol :lol

Half the cars there have Michigan plates. There should be an extra parking fee for Michigan plates -_-

Red

Magnum + Raptor are probably the two best "values" for your time, as far as waiting in line goes. They're both great rides and typically you'll be waiting around a half hour for each, compared to two hours or more for the other coasters.

Trurl

Banned
Be sure to go on the Maverick. It's the roller coaster equivalent of a game that focuses on having a great design rather than stats to wag its dick about.

I once saw a girl with these sparkly gold shorts with possibly the best body I have ever seen.
It was ridiculous I tried to look away but couldn't...

Also: they have rollercoasters.

Jokey665

Fuck the Mantis.

Magnum is probably my favourite overall in the park (Maverick could be, but I've only ridden it once), and I've had times with literally no line so me and my friends would just ride it continuously. Mean Streak, while moderately painful, is a good time, and there are parts where you can touch the beams and stuff while riding, which is pretty neat (just be careful about it if you do lol).

harSon

Banned
I went about 10 years ago when I still lived in Pennsylvania and it's still probably one of the best amusement park I've been too. Sure as hell beats Kennywood...

LakeEarth

Jokey665 said:
Fuck the Mantis.
The first time I rode it was the first time I rode a standing up roller coaster, and did not adjust 'myself' on the bicycle seat right. Those who have rode the Mantis has some moments of strong G forces for a stand-up, and since I couldn't sit down due to risk of extreme ball injury, my legs had to take the brunt. My legs were sore for a week.

Cday said:
Prepare to walk until your legs fall off.

Start small, maybe with the Maxair or Wicked Twister which are both near the entrance. Maybe hit the Millenium or Maverick later in the day when it's not as hot because those lines are long but both rides are worth the wait. Don't waste your time with the Dragster. I always found the Magnum to be a good coaster to ride when it gets dark before calling it a day. Like a cooldown of sorts. Also the Magnum line that late is usually 10 minutes.

Half the cars there have Michigan plates. There should be an extra parking fee for Michigan plates -_-

Screw you man

also, Mean Streak is awesome, screw the haters...

Amir0x said:
Are the lines generally awful? Which rides are the best? How would you rate the park?
DISCUSS.

The lines will be shite on Labor Day weekend.

General rule of thumb: The best rides, imo, are the oldest ones.

-Millennium Force = best ride in the park. Hands down. If you time it right the wait can be as short as an hour. 5/5

-Magnum kind of like an older, 80s-ish Millennium Force. Still a lot of fun. Shorter wait. Probably 30-45 minutes. 5/5

-Mean Streak this old wooden monstrosity is fucking amazing. There's an impending sense of death at every turn accompanied by tons of strange metal clicks and low crossbeams. 5/5

-Raptor the quintessential Cedar Point ride. You gotta go in it. It's a little unstable, I mean that in the sense that it rattles your head around so bring some aspirin. But seriously lots of fun. 5/5

-Mantis if you can withstand getting punched in the nuts for 5 minutes this is your ride. That and old ladies with alcohol on their breath standing next to you. Fun ride, piss poor design. Typically longer waits around 1 hour. 3/5

-Top Thrill Dragster is pretty awesome but it's also about a 2+ hour wait all the time and the ride lasts like 10 seconds or something ridiculous.
That's also assuming it's working because it's broken down ~75% of the time. 2/5

-Wicked Twister was a really awesome ride but they shortened the track(?) and made it slower due to some safety issues or something. I'd still check it out, but not as good as it's former self. An hour to an hour and a half wait. 4/5

-Power Tower dropping downward is pretty fun. They give you the option to drop down or shoot up. Avoid shoot up. It's boring. But on dropping down, you never know when they will drop you
which freaks you out, especially when you're coupled with scared girls. Awesome stuff. I really like this ride. Wait is 30-45 minutes from what I remember. For others probably a 3/5 but me a 4/5.

-Corkscrew pretty fun. Short wait. 30 minutes or so. 3/5

-Iron Dragon it's built for kids but it's sooooo much fun. Girls love it. 3/5

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
You'll be on rides for an hour and the other 9 in lines. My Cousin always wanted to bring me since I was lucky with picking crappy days to scare away people. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom