• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul of Darkness (DSiWare) or the new 2d Castlevania we've been waiting for?

It's more amazing how brazen Gameloft is being with this. :lol

EDIT: The run animation with the flowing coat/cape, holy shit gameloft come on.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is this out on the JP store yet? My DSi is Japanese. :S

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If the competition doesn't work out for ya, you can always try the life at sea, son!

Lame joking and stealth editing aside. Isn't this game an old mobile game port? I don't expect it to be that solid tbh. But it looks much smoother than I remember the mobile game looking.

jarosh

iga6.jpg

come on

iga5.jpg

COME ON

iga4.jpg

COME ON

iga2.jpg

COME ON!

iga3.jpg

COME ON!

iga1.jpg

COME ON!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gameloft is pretty shameless. Their Halo ripoff on iphone was pretty damn blatant, too.

Edgeward

Dang, those character portraits are terrifying. Generic aesthetics aside, the action looks great. Seems more varied then the castlevania ones, a side-scrolling shooting (really slashing) some QTEs I think I saw, and you can turn into a piranha. Pretty impressive for what was originally a cell phone game.

ITA84

Wow, a Castlevania clone for 500 points? It can't be that bad, can it?

* looks at developer *

Looks like I can save my points. There's no way you can convince me any Gameloft game is worth the money, sorry.

Dascu

Looks like a competent clone. The QTE boss fight made me laugh though.

Himuro said:
DON'T CARE

Actual platforming, man.
Get Castlevania Rebirth on WiiWare. It's a good classic-vania with actual platforming and challenging level design.

Himuro said:
Who gives a fuck if it's a rip off when it looks awesome and will probably will be better than the past three Metroidvania's combined?
but dawn of sorrow and portrait of ruin were fantastic games (never got around to getting OoE), so how the heck is that gonna happen?

duckroll

I have this game on my phones, finished it like a year ago. It's a huge ripoff of Igavania visuals. There are some good ideas here and there, and it was probably worth 5 bucks.... which is what they're charging here too. It's better than Hero of Sparta, which is honestly, pretty crap overall. Hopefully they're improving the animation quality and the slowdown for the DS version though. Zombie Infection is still Gameloft's best game so far. :p

Edit: I should add, this isn't actually an Igavania game. It's chapter/stage based, and there isn't much exploration. It's largely a linear action game that just rips off the Igavania themes and visual design a ton.

damn, looks good but why DSiWare? Is it too short? Too crappy when you actually play it?

Release this on a cartridge! Or for the Wii/PS3 as a downloadable! :D

jrricky

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Yeah but people with good taste would.
Ice!!!

EDIT: It's still pretty amazing how most of Gameloft's games are ripoffs of other popular games...but, where is the mario clone?

Ashodin

duckroll said:
I have this game on my phones, finished it like a year ago. It's a huge ripoff of Igavania visuals. There are some good ideas here and there, and it was probably worth 5 bucks.... which is what they're charging here too. It's better than Hero of Sparta, which is honestly, pretty crap overall. Hopefully they're improving the animation quality and the slowdown for the DS version though. Zombie Infection is still Gameloft's best game so far. :p

Edit: I should add, this isn't actually an Igavania game. It's chapter/stage based, and there isn't much exploration. It's largely a linear action game that just rips off the Igavania themes and visual design a ton.
From cellphone to DSi - looks like slowdown has been fixed, UI elements improved (i can see a soul counter now), animations aren't jerky messes, just overall better. if you're still paying 5 for the same game, dsi is the way to go.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
EmCeeGramr said:
It's more amazing how brazen Gameloft is being with this. :lol

EDIT: The run animation with the flowing coat/cape, holy shit gameloft come on.

when I saw the trailer i jsut kept thinking "ripoff" they got the map, the walking animation, hell the levels looks similar to Castlevania... can this be allowed?

jett

D-Member
:lol holy shit what a shameless ripoff. game design, sprite art and animation style. It almost looks like a hack of some other CV game. Even the music is "Castlevanny".

It looks competent, I guess.

jarosh

can't wait for more gameloft goodness

dario universe
giga man
a girl and her drop
left 2 die
quarter-life
the mystery of ape peninsula 2: pirate ghost strikes back
ultimate daydream

duckroll

jufonuk said:
when I saw the trailer i jsut kept thinking "ripoff" they got the map, the walking animation, hell the levels looks similar to Castlevania... can this be allowed?

Gameloft makes tons and tons of "ripoff" games for mobile phones. Their development concept for most titles are basically a) take a good idea which is popular and successful, b) adapt this idea to 2D and make it controllable on a phone. All their best games are either ripoffs or licensed titles.

Hero of Sparta = God of War
Soul of Darkness = Castlevania
Zombie Infection = Dead Rising

The funny thing is, Hero of Sparta is a better God of War mobile game than the actual God of War mobile game, Soul of Darkness is a better Castlevania mobile game than the actual Castlevania mobile games, and Zombie Infection is a gazillion times better than the actual Dead Rising mobile game.

It's harder to hate them for having almost zero original artistic or creative ideas when their execution often ends up better than the actual mobile efforts of the original license holders...

Salsa

It looks like bad Castlevania.

And yeah Gameloft is shameless. This same game is out for cellphones btw, this seems to be an upgraded Dsi version of that.

I just bought it with my free 500 points I got with sin and punishment. I played the first level. It's not that bad! Kinda fun for the price. It's a level by level style, but the first level did branch a bit for exploration. Must not be too long, cuz I'm at 9% complete after one level. :lol Music ranges from ear piercingly awful in the title screen, to pretty good in the levels.

Sylfurd

What the hell ? It's a total rip off ! And what with you people ? It totally looks like shit compared to Order of Ecclesia ! Art, Effects, animation ... I can't see why you think it's better than CVs !

cooeds072.jpg
cooeds088.jpg

jarosh

Night_Trekker said:
I'm pretty sure The Castlevania Adventure Rebirth is the new-ish Castlevania I had been waiting for.

I hope you all bought it :mad:
yup, excellent game. a bit short though.

Top Bottom