• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Maxis to announce Spore-based SF action RPG at Comic-Con

butsomuch

via Big Download
VIDEO GAME REVEAL: MAXIS STUDIO
July 24, 2010 6:00PM - 7:00PM @ Room 3

Maxis Studio (The Sims and Spore video games) has just announced their next project, a brand new, Sci-Fi Action-RPG based on the DNA of Spore. Join key leads from the dev team, Thomas Vu, Paul Sottosanti and Lauren McHugh, for the first game reveal to the public!

Type 1: Programs » Games, Science Fiction & Fantasy
Speaker/Artist(s) Thomas Vu, Paul Sottosanti, Lauren McHugh

http://sched.comic-con.org/event/670e709b7477d7c8a065f2c337364cfc

V_Ben

Banned
spore action rpg? by maxis? sounds like a unique idea, i'll bite :lol

edit: actually, it may not be an action rpg set in the spore universe, more of an action RPG with crazy customization options. which would be pretty sweet :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
V_Ben said:
spore action rpg? by maxis? sounds like a unique idea, i'll bite :lol

edit: actually, it may not be an action rpg set in the spore universe, more of an action RPG with crazy customization options. which would be pretty sweet :lol
I imagine it's the Spore Title listed here.

eafyreleaselcrv.png

Bear

The Creature stage was the only part of Spore that was remotely fun, so this is probably a better way to take advantage of the concept than a mismash of mediocre game modes.

I always preferred the space stage, if they had put more into it i think I would still be playing it now (maybe forever)

Zzoram

I felt Creature stage could've been expanded into an RPG and Space stage could've been expanded into an RTS. I'm interested in this RPG.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I support this idea of expanding on previous IPs. Usually makes for better quality games

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If they stick to the early stages of Spore and build on those then this might be interesting. Once the game moved on to the tribal/space travel stuff it turned from middling to total shit.

Zzoram

The problem with the Space stage was that there wasn't enough unique things to do, and once you realize that you could spend a lifetime and never conquer every planet in the universe, it sapped any motivation I have to keep expanding my empire.

Gattsu25

Banned
The cell stage was fun.
The creature stage was addictive.
The tribal stage was a mess
The civ stage was boring
The space stage was amazingly fun and terribly addictive.

I ended up putting over 20 hours into the space stage. It was great to play while listening to podcasts.

I agree though, the space stage desperately needed more unique things to do. In fact, each of the stages did.

Darklord

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
The cell stage was fun.
The creature stage was addictive.
The tribal stage was a mess
The civ stage was boring
The space stage was amazingly fun and terribly addictive.

I ended up putting over 20 hours into the space stage. It was great to play while listening to podcasts.

I agree though, the space stage desperately needed more unique things to do. In fact, each of the stages did.

For me:

Cell stage was fun but the old art work was better.
Creature stage was pretty cool but shallow. I liked seeing the planets overhead.
Tribal stage was a shit RTS game.
Civ stage was an even shitter RTS game.

I don't get how people loved the space stage though. Space was huge and looked really cool but horribly designed. You either got your arse kicked as a conquer, or you collected allies and were confined to staying near them because every minute they'd have some problem you'd have to go and fix. You even had to go from planet to planet to collect your resources.

In Spore 2 they should have Creature staqe, Civ stage and Space only and fix the hell out of them. For an RPG they should have only the space stage and again, refine the hell out of it. That would be cool making like an Eve Online but easy and accessible.

BooJoh

I loved the cell stage, but it was too linear and short. I would have loved an option to play an arcade-mode style cell stage that lets you keep growing indefinitely.

I also loved the creature stage, it was addictive, only problem was that the parts were attached to stats, which meant you had to gravitate toward using similar parts on most creatures unless you intentionally handicap yourself.

Tribal stage was like RTS Jr. Not terrible for me since I suck at RTS's, but not terribly fun either.

Civ stage was just going through the motions.

Space stage I could never get into. So much micromanagement, and not being able to land on a planet was a big letdown.

Galactic Adventures could have solved that, but I frankly didn't find that much good content for it, and it's hard to weed out the buggy/poorly made adventures to find the good ones. Plus it takes a long time to rank up your captain, yet many many adventures require advanced parts.

I'll be keeping my eye on the RPG, maybe it'll finally be like having a new E.V.O.

Top Bottom