• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AVATAR: LEGEND OF KORRA announced, brand new TV series, coming 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyFive

2h5nr0w.jpg

LOS ANGELES – A sequel to Nickelodeon's "Avatar: The Last Airbender" is in the works.

The channel said Wednesday the new animated TV series will premiere in 2011. It has the working title, "The Legend of Korra."

Nickelodeon says the series will build on the "mythology" of the original "The Last Airbender" series, which inspired this summer's live-action movie from filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan (SHAH-muh-lahn).

The "Legend of Korra" is from the creator-producers of "Avatar: The Last Airbender."

Nickelodeon executive Brown Johnson says the new series will focus on a teenage girl avatar named Korra. Brown describes her as hotheaded, independent and "ready to take on the world."

"Avatar: The Last Airbender" has ranked among the highest-rate series on the Nickelodeon and Nicktoons channels.
MORE NEWS

Nickelodeon said in a release that “The Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after the events of ‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ and follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang – a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra.”

Korra’s quest eventually leads her to Republic City–the epicenter of the world of “Avatar.” A metropolis powered by steampunk-type technology, the city is inhabited by people from all nations. Korra finds that Republic City suffers from rampant crime and is also dealing with an anti-bender revolt. Korra is tutored by Aang’s son, Tenzin, is the ways of airbending.

Steampunk!

Less than 100 years!

Aang has a son named Tenzin who can airbend!

Also, here's the HD version of the image.

Here's the full press release.

And it's confirmed Korra has already mastered Water, Fire, and Earth.

So the story won't mirror that of The Last Airbender, and will take it's own way.

Interview with the Creators on new series

Jerry Zuckerman is back to compose the music!

Also:

Korralinetest.jpg

Alleged Korean linetest for the show.

LATEST UPDATE AS OFF 3/6/11:

Lemonz said:

Also, new news: The cast has been revealed.

• Janet Varney as KORRA
  • Kiernan Shipka as JINORA
  • Daniel Dae Kim as HIROSHI SATO
  • David Faustino as MAKO
  • Sheychelle Gabriel as ASAMI
  • Lance Hendrickson as LIEUTENANT
  • JK Simmons as TENZIN

Snaku

Banned
Well this will wash the taste of the film out of my mouth quite nicely.

nitewulf said:
awesome! looks like she could be inherently a fire bender though.

You deduced this from her Water Tribe clothing and complexion?

Nickelodeon says the series will build on the "mythology" of the original "The Last Airbender" series, which inspired this summer's live-action movie from filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan (SHAH-muh-lahn).

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Rokam

nitewulf said:
awesome! looks like she could be inherently a fire bender though.

She's in water tribe garb, and pretty sure Korra goes along with most of the water tribe names.

I'm assuming the advancement in architecture and what looks to be like some industrial stuff in the background is from the fire nation sharing its knowledge, instead of Sozin's version of "sharing its knowledge"

Snaku

Banned
MOAR FOAMING MOUTH GUY!

6c3ey41.gif

Kinitari said:
They have skyscrapers and shit. Avatar with an iPad.

Hope it looks like the early slightly futuristic concept art for the original show.

Shirokun

I can't wait for this! Glad they're changing the cast too(as far as we know) as I could definitely see the potential for things getting stale otherwise.

Should we expect a preview soon?

Rokam

They should scrap the nation baddies and make this entire series based on keeping balance between the spirit world and the real world. Want to buy more Koh!

Prax

Sweet. A female lead! (probably descendant of Aang + Katara from a few centuries back)

Though she looks like she might be the streetwise, smartmouth type (a Raphael of Ninja Turtles, if you will), which I don't love as much as a character archetype, but we'll see!

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Willy105 said:
I'm guessing you weren't watching it as it aired.

Nonsensical airdates for the curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar:_The_Last_Airbender_(season_3)

The creators had shipped the final episodes to Nick months before they actually aired. The show took a break in November then Nick played the remaining new episodes on 7 consecutive days in July. People were finding out the ending from paperback books that actually got released weeks ahead of the episodes they were written about

Prax said:
Sweet. A female lead! (probably descendant of Aang + Katara from a few centuries back)

Though she looks like she might be the streetwise, smartmouth type (a Raphael of Ninja Turtles, if you will), which I don't love as much as a character archetype, but we'll see!

Yeah, I didn't like the whole "hot headed/ ready to take on the world" thing because that made me think of "generic manga main character with a gender change!". But I'm sure their far above that so I expect something great. :)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
dave is ok said:
I'm guessing you weren't watching it as it aired.

Nickelodeon owns it... that's probably what the "huh" was about...

I guess Ong re-populated the air nomads, since they're before water in the avatar cycle.

Or maybe there's no more tribes? Certainly looking forward to this.

Xristot

I want to buy the original series Books 1-4 but I was wondering if it's going to be coming to blu-ray. I don't want to double dip. Does anyone know if they are planning a blu-ray release?

WillyFive

Xristot said:
I want to buy the original series Books 1-4 but I was wondering if it's going to be coming to blu-ray. I don't want to double dip. Does anyone know if they are planning a blu-ray release?

There are only three Books (it's like a trilogy).

And I don't expect a Blu-Ray release, mostly because the series isn't even in widescreen.

bachikarn said:
The actual airing of season 3 was horrendous. Random and long breaks all the time.

Oh yeah, having the second half of the season air back to back in less than a week was stressful.

Snaku

Banned
bachikarn said:
The actual airing of season 3 was horrendous. Random and long breaks all the time.

Not to mention the ridiculously long period of silence from Nick in between the Book 2 finale, and the announcement of Book 3.

It felt like Nick wanted the show to fail. If they did, they should have hired M. Night sooner.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Willy105 said:
Oh yeah, having the second half of the season air back to back in less than a week was stressful.
Come on, they held back episodes for months to try and make more money from DVD sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom