• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Passenger Plane Crashes in Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dali

It's nice to see you switch it up. Ya know you usually go for stuff that's either political or UFO-related, Zapa... wtf?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
AP had a few details:

The cause of the Airblue crash was not immediately clear, said Pervez George, a civil aviation official. He said the plane was flying from Karachi to Islamabad and was trying to land during difficult weather.

"The plane was about to land at the Islamabad airport when it lost contact with the control tower, and later we learned that the plane had crashed,"
George said.

Guards with the forestry service said they had found some wreckage and seen some bodies, police official Mohammad Saeed said. The army said it was sending special troops to the area to help out along with helicopters.

Pakistani news channels showed what appeared to be wreckage of the plane as a helicopter hovered above the heavily forested hills to assess the situation. Fire was visible and smoke was blowing up from the scene.

Reuters said:
A commercial Pakistani passenger plane with more than 150 people on board crashed in band weather on Wednesday in hills near the capital, Islamabad, an aviation spokesman said.

One body had been recovered, an official said.

The plane belonging to AirBlue, a private airliner, lost contact with the control room of the Islamabad International Airport at 12:43 a.m. ET while flying from the southern city of Karachi.

"There were 146 passengers and six crewmen on board. We are gathering information. We have no more details," Mubarik Shah, spokesman of the state-run Civil Aviation Authority, told Reuters.

A thick blanket of cloud could be seen rising from the forested Margalla Hills near Islamabad and a helicopter hovering overhead amid rain.

"It was raining. I saw the plane flying very low from the window of my office," witness Khadim Hussain said.

Pakistan's AAJ television showed footage of at least one helicopter hovering over what appeared to be the site of the crash, with columns of smoke billowing from heavily forested ground. Flames licked at trees in the area.

The cause of the crash could not be immediately ascertained.
From Reuters.

fixuis

I'm in Karachi, Pakistan and this is the first Im hearing of it. Gaf is fast. So sad, air blue is one of our better airlines, had a perfect record till now :(

fixuis said:
I'm in Karachi, Pakistan and this is the first Im hearing of it. Gaf is fast. So sad, air blue is one of our better airlines, had a perfect record till now :(

Twitter and CNN reported it really fast
Well, a bunch of news agencies on Twitter but I also saw a brief report on CNN when they got word

fixuis

BigJonsson said:
Twitter and CNN reported it really fast
Well, a bunch of news agencies on Twitter but I also saw a brief report on CNN when they got word

Yeah the world is getting smaller and smaller every day. Most of the airblue pilots are ex air force and highly skilled. Islamabad is a gorgeous city surrounded by these margalla hills where the plane crashed, with clouds often hovering low, add to that the monsoon rains and heavy weather we've been having and I guess nature took it's toll on this flight. But yeah guess well know more after an investigation. 10 bodies recovered so far.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-10784971

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I work in/near the airline industry and we heard an engine explosion was being reported, I only got comments from round the office though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom