• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Football•Soccer•Fútbol•Fussball Thread 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

Yeah, it's August, 1st. Time for the new season. Time for a new thread. The World Cup is over and everyone is looking forward to the next season.

WHAT CAN WE EXPECT?

• Is Manchester City ready to attack the Top 4?
  • Mourinho goes Real Madrid - The Start of a new era?
  • Will somebody beat Inter in the Italian League?
  • BAAAAAAAAAAAAAYEEEEEEEEERN
  • etc, etc.

GENERAL INFORMATION

logo-english-fa-premier-league916.png
English Premier League: Fixtures • Table • Defending Champions: Chelsea London

logo-italian-serie-a905.png
Italian Serie A: Fixtures • Table • Defending Champions: Inter Milan

logo-spanish-la-liga492.png
Spanish La Liga: Fixtures • Table • Defending Champions: FC Barcelona

logo-german-bundesliga105.png
German Bundesliga: Fixtures • Table • Defending Champions: Bayern Munich

Major League Soccer: Fixtures • Standings • Defending MLS Cup Champions: Real Salt Lake

THE GIFS

79CFH.gif
300coet.jpg
addycelebration.gif

29qmrko.gif
persiefuckoff.gif
2cnxboo.gif

Schweinsteiger.gif
vi6nm.gif
2n89bg0.gif

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
:lol That gif of Eboue gets me every time.

Anyway, come on you Spurs!

CTLance

I'm too casual a fan to really contribute or follow non-major-event futbol, but I do look forward to lurking in this thread. :D

Brinbe

Good job with the OP! Can't fucking wait for this season to begin, 7 days till the Community Shield! :D :D

And hopefully we're able to sign Ozil in the next month before the deadline.

*And now I just read that he wants to stay at Werder Bremen for another year, oh well! :lol

Garjon

Liverpool having a horrid pre-season so far, isn't that usually a good sign?

Tottenham and Man City will flop big time this season and Man Utd will clinch the title; Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool will finish up the top 4.

Feathers

Huzzah, was wondering when this would come up. In keeping with the Toon army stereotype, I confidently predict Newcastle will qualify for Europe this year. If Birmingham could make a decent fist at it last season, I don't see why we can't go one better.

John Dunbar said:
what's going on with these two?

Adebayor scored against his old club, Arsenal, most Arsenal fans hate him because his main motivation was money so Adebayor ran celebrated his goal in front of the visiting Arsenal fans and got a garden chair thrown at him

Feathers

Anyone catch the Arsenal match today? Wilshere man of the match, looking good for a spell in the first team this season. Walcott's all over the place, sometimes good (two assists ain't bad) and other times he's awful (poor crosses and twice trying to chip a 6ft 6 keeper on his line).

A new thread. \o/

Went to Mönchengladbach vs. Liverpool today. What a boring match. :(
Well, at least they got Gerry Marsden to sing before the match.

Reno7728

Feathers said:
Anyone catch the Arsenal match today? Wilshere man of the match, looking good for a spell in the first team this season. Walcott's all over the place, sometimes good (two assists ain't bad) and other times he's awful (poor crosses and twice trying to chip a 6ft 6 keeper on his line).

Shelvey looked good for Liverpool today as well, as did Kelly in the europa game

Englands new Golden Generation BELIEVE

Feathers

Chelsea's goalies are still the gift that keep on giving. Their preseason could have gone a bit better.

Reno7728 said:
Shelvey looked good for Liverpool today as well, as did Kelly in the europa game

Englands new Golden Generation BELIEVE

As long as we play these kids and stick Andy Carroll up front, England can't go wrong!

danwarb

Shelvey does look a player, and it was lovely to see Aurelio back today. Now we need to find another quality forward, a leftback, and some balance in midfield.

whatsinaname said:
And Raul scores 2 against BAAAAAAAAAAAAAYEEEEEEEEERN

;( I miss him already.

Yeah, just coming back from the match. The result was irrelevant, but the crowd absolutely fell in love with Raúl just after two days here. He's such a nice guy and wrote autographs for hours and hours with a smile. The two goals were the topping.

Already bought a jersey with his name on it. I'm so easy to manipulate... :D

mokeyjoe

Feathers said:

I still think on balance Walcott's a great asset. He's obviously not at full match sharpness at this point in the pre-season. That and some of the crosses to nowhere were as a result of other players not being where they should have been, not entirely Walcott's fault if he whips one across the face of goal and there's no-one there to meet it. His pace and touch also tends to get him more chances than many other players might so if he screws one up there'll be another before too long. I think people judge him too harshly. Yeah he's got some way to go before he's the complete package, but very few players hit their peak by 21 and I don't think he's an exception.

Art Teitlebaum said:
Yeah, just coming back from the match. The result was irrelevant, but the crowd absolutely fell in love with Raúl just after two days here. He's such a nice guy and wrote autographs for hours and hours with a smile. The two goals were the topping.

Already bought a jersey with his name on it. I'm so easy to manipulate... :D

:D I hear 50,000 Raul shirts were sold on day 1?

There were times we were frustrated with him over the last 3-4 years, but one can never say he ever gave less than 100% every single time he was on the pitch. He even took to sleeping in Oxygen tents to improve recovery after matches.

whatsinaname said:
:D I hear 50,000 Raul shirts were sold on day 1?

There were times we were frustrated with him over the last 3-4 years, but one can never say he ever gave less than 100% every single time he was on the pitch. He even took to sleeping in Oxygen tents to improve recovery after matches.

Entire families were dressed up in Raúl shirts. They were sold by the dozen at once. This was expected, cause Kuranyi, Bordon and Westermann left and so nearly a whole generation of jerseys became outdated. :lol

I am a little skeptical about him though, cause he's not the youngest one and never played abroad, so he'll have to accommodate to the German way of playing, which always is quite physical.
But at least he definitely has the talent to score, so he will have a good position in the team compared to the rest of our offense.

GQman2121

Banned
Art Teitlebaum said:
Entire families were dressed up in Raúl shirts. They were sold by the dozen at once. This was expected, cause Kuranyi, Bordon and Westermann left and so nearly a whole generation of jerseys became outdated. :lol

I am a little skeptical about him though, cause he's not the youngest one and never played abroad, so he'll have to accommodate to the German way of playing, which always is quite physical.
But at least he definitely has the talent to score, so he will have a good position in the team compared to the rest of our offense.

I'll tell you what, I'm rooting for him. I mean Bayern pretty much have the league by the bollocks right now, but Raul, and Guti for that matter, are the kind of players you want to see finish on a high note. They've given so much to the game and are the example of how to win the right way.

Art Teitlebaum said:

If he is a starter I see him scoring 15+ goals in the league. And his experience in the CL is going to be of immense benefit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87qAp2bGYG0

Look at his run for the goal @34s and his goal @50s. This was when most of the press (and a lot us the fans) had written him off.

Feathers

mokeyjoe said:
I still think on balance Walcott's a great asset. He's obviously not at full match sharpness at this point in the pre-season. That and some of the crosses to nowhere were as a result of other players not being where they should have been, not entirely Walcott's fault if he whips one across the face of goal and there's no-one there to meet it. His pace and touch also tends to get him more chances than many other players might so if he screws one up there'll be another before too long. I think people judge him too harshly. Yeah he's got some way to go before he's the complete package, but very few players hit their peak by 21 and I don't think he's an exception.

I would agree that he's still got a ways to go until his peak. At least today he tried to use his pace a bit more and skin defenders instead of just holding up play. But he'll always be better as an impact sub for me, his decision making needs to improve before he can walk into the first team again.

Plasma

Banned
Feathers said:

I went to the emirates to go see it, first half was great but we just stopped playing half way through the second half got a bit nervy towards then end.

I thought Walcott played alright today he looked confident on the ball and he wasn't afraid to run at defenders rather than just running down the line and not knowing what to do next.

ATF487

LIVERPOOL IS GONNA WIN THE LEAGUE!
in my dreams

I just hope they get a Champions League spot for next year. Also I'm going to try to follow MLS more, and watch some other leagues on espn3. I think they're gonna have a lot of bundesliga and serie a games

Splatt

Watched the Russian derby today, Spartak Moscow 1:2 CSKA Moscow. It was a great game, wish we got more quality stuff like that during WC. The first goal for Spartak was hilarious, I have no idea what the GK was thinking with that ninja shit :lol The comeback freekick for CSKA was mastefully done by Ignashevich and in the extra time a Sneijder like pass to Vagner was enough for a complete takeover by CSKA.

MPW

whatsinaname said:
And Raul scores 2 against BAAAAAAAAAAAAAYEEEEEEEEERN

;( I miss him already.

it is weird seeing him in a schalke jersey, always thought he would finish his career @ madrid

Zabojnik

To answer the 'Will somebody beat Inter in the Italian League?' question: not a chance. Roma's gonna try and fail, Milan and Juventus will fight it out for 3. / 4. place. No surprises there.

As a Juventus fan I'm quite optimistic, if only because last year we had one of the worst, if not the worst season in the club's history. We can only do better, which still isn't saying much. I'm still hoping we'll be able to sign at least one great player (Dzeko remains the no. 1 objective, but it's probably not going to happen). In order for that to happen we have to sell our army of oldtimers / permanently injured / overpayed / terrible players first. Mission impossible, since the list is endless: Camoranesi, Grosso, Iaquinta, Trezeguet, Poulsen, Salihamidzic, Zebina, Giovinco, Felipe Melo, Tiago ...

Yeah, we're pretty much fucked. Nobody wants to leave and I can't really blame them. They're getting 2-3 million € a year with one or two contract years left. Thank you, previous management.

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm so glad Blackpool are in the Premier League. That Ian Holloway is managing them too just makes it even more fun.

Messi

I have never been this excited for the return of LaLiga. I am giddy with excitement.

Come on Barca vanquish mou and real!

Viva Messi

EDIT: No pika-busquets in the op? :(

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_biscuitsshakey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom