• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm Apocalypse - Gamescom 2010 Screens

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Pretty sure they're new. If not, blame Canada.

MotorStorm®: Apocalypse
FACT SHEET

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC.
Developer: Evolution Studios
Platform: PlayStation®3 system
Genre: Racing
Rating: “RP” for “Rating Pending”

OVERVIEW

Once again, the most brutal off-road racing festival is back, and this time the ‘Stormers are bringing the extreme MotorStorm® festival to a major metropolitan city ravaged by a gigantic earthquake. Developed by Evolutions Studios exclusively for the PlayStation® 3 (PS3™), MotorStorm®: Apocalypse brings back the signature MotorStorm racing madness but this time the racers must deal with the unpredictability of a crumbling urban environment. Filled with unstable skyscrapers, fiery subway tunnels, twisting bridges, and collapsing buildings, the almost completely abandoned city offers the perfect playground for MotorStorm’s electric brand of brutal street racing. Fully customize your collection of vehicles, including supercars, muscle cars, and superbikes, and face down your fellow ‘Stormers as well as a city where destruction awaits you at every turn. With tremors and aftershocks continuing to hit the city in real-time, players will be faced with making quick decisions in a landscape on the verge of total devastation. Welcome to the apocalypse, MotorStorm style!

KEY FEATURES
• Pick and customize vehicles from no less than 12 classes with supercars, muscle cars, superbikes, choppers and more now added to the legendary mix of MotorStorm classics
• Take part in more than 40 unique races, with tracks changing for each visit
• Survive staggering and epic real-time destruction effects – everything from machine gun fire to rocket attacks to earthquakes happening as you race
• With 3D support, immerse yourself in the race as every crash and explosion come to life right into your living room in stereoscopic glory on your 3D TV
• Battle friends with 4-player split-screen, or take 4-player split-screen online for even more racing mayhem
• Deep online features including intense 16-player online racing, sharing custom car designs with friends, and creating and sharing totally new game experiences with the incredible Game Mode Creator

iceatcs

Looks lovely.

But road texture really bad, didn't matter as the lighting and building destructing will make up.

Ploid 3.0

Hope this one will have youtube upload, and don't take out screen shot upload. But I'm not sure on getting it until I'm sure the AI don't sacrifice themselves to hold you back, or the rubber band isn't so strong.

bumpkin

_msa-2010-08-02_001o0zs.jpg

It's great to see that character from Mercs 2 getting so much work lately... First it was the reboot of Medal of Honor, now the new Motorstorm. :lol

Afrikan

JardeL said:
Photomode.

the previous Motorstorm didn't really add any effects in Photo mode...

also, maybe these screens are from a newer build compared to the one that was playable at GC.

kind of like the GOW3 demo (basically E3 one), compared to the released full version..

Afrikan

bumpkin said:
http://img13.abload.de/img/_msa-2010-08-02_001o0zs.jpg[/IMG

It's great to see that character from Mercs 2 getting so much work lately... First it was the reboot of Medal of Honor, now the new Motorstorm. :lol[/QUOTE]

he was in Motorstorm PR, 2 years ago...

ManeKast

bumpkin said:

It's great to see that character from Mercs 2 getting so much work lately... First it was the reboot of Medal of Honor, now the new Motorstorm. :lol

This comment just made my day, the students in the next room are wondering why I am laughing.

Violater

Flek said:
bullshots indeed, played it @ gc and it sure dindt look like this
Needs to be added to op :lol

bumpkin said:

Beards are the new bald space marine

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Will be buying this one. Love my MotorStorm Pacific Rift, have sunk more hours into that than I'd care to own up to :lol

Shots look great!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ephemeris said:
Bought the first, Skipped the 2nd, Will buy the third.
Buy it.

satriales

This is an insta-buy for me. Loved the previous two games.

After the sudden leap in graphical quality of Pacific Rift as it neared it release date, it wouldn't surprise me if Apocalypse did look close to those screens when it's released next year.

Yoshichan

Ephemeris said:
Looks like I'll be checking out Pacific next week.:lol
Fuck yeah! For more awesome, I imagined David Hayter saying this!

Edit: and now your avatar changes to Liquid :lol Fair enough, I'll imagine Cam Clarke!

Edit 2: now it's Batman .____.

Hated the rubberband AI in the first, hated the rubberband AI in the second. Am not purchasing until I find out more about that particular aspect in the third.

Other than that everything looks really good. PR was a blast until 1/2 way in.

Yoshichan

flyinpiranha said:
Hated the rubberband AI in the first, hated the rubberband AI in the second. Am not purchasing until I find out more about that particular aspect in the third.

Other than that everything looks really good. PR was a blast until 1/2 way in.
That grizzly stage in Pacific Rift, one of the last races in the game, broke two of my controllers and my left ring finger.

Good times.

-viper-

Banned
I know those are bullshots but the gameplay video on Gamersyde really does show the game is graphically superb.

Decado

SolidSnakex said:
Early next year.
wtf? I thought was out this year. Just about everything is coming out in the first half of next year :(

Also...I've yet to see a curve in the road in any of the screens or trailers. They trying to make this a drag racing game or something? No turning?

Slavik81

Sweet. The Pacific Rift 3D demo was awesome.
Is Pacific Rift itself in 3D? Or will this be the first full MotorStorm game to support it?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
bumpkin said:

Well, I'm glad it's not just me who noticed this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I remember when huge amounts of the coverage for motorstorm 1 was focused on how they achieved the mud and grooves wearing into it. Now with this iteration, non sign of that anywhere, just a generic looking destructo-racer.

Yoshichan

mrklaw said:
I remember when huge amounts of the coverage for motorstorm 1 was focused on how they achieved the mud and grooves wearing into it. Now with this iteration, non sign of that anywhere, just a generic looking destructo-racer.
Yep... now the gameplay is strict to air, lava, water and inside buildings... terrible, I tell you.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dark Octave said:
PC screenshots?

Way too clean to be PS3.
You do realize that, even on PC, anti-aliasing of that quality is insanely demanding, right?

High quality SSAA absolutely rapes modern video cards. If you max out some SSAA, even 10 year old PC games will struggle a bit. I was surprised when something as old as Warcraft III could not not hold a smooth framerate with maxed out SSAA.

So, yeah, it's possible to produce image quality like that on a PC...but most people aren't doing so at a reasonable speed. Close? Perhaps, but definitely not that level.

MrPliskin

Banned
yurinka said:
Bullshots look great, let's hope they manage to reach something almost similar. Don't want another one like Motorstorm 1 reveal trailer. Evolution, stop this shit.

I hate the Mercs 2 character. He's the techno viking! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwsntHcWiy4

Certainly you're not trying to compare this, things we know are "in game" outside of more AA, to something like that (you know, CG).

jiggles

Banned
The thing about the footage that looks really off is the building collapses. They fall at a perfectly constant velocity, then thud to an abrup stop when they hit into something, totally stiff and unchanging in shape. I see they're trying to make it look like there was more of an impact by spilling glass out downwards from the windows, but the building structure itself comes across as looking comically indestructible and (poorly) hand-animated.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jigglywiggly said:
The thing about the footage that looks really off is the building collapses. They fall at a perfectly constant velocity, then thud to an abrup stop when they hit into something, totally stiff and unchanging in shape. I see they're trying to make it look like there was more of an impact by spilling glass out downwards from the windows, but the building structure itself comes across as looking comically indestructible and (poorly) hand-animated.
That's not quite the case at 0:53. I know what you mean, but they cannot have building debris chunking out and falling all over the place based on physics. It would be far too annoying and unpredictable to be fun during gameplay.

Yoshichan said:
Yep... now the gameplay is strict to air, lava, water and inside buildings... terrible, I tell you.
We used to think the same for MS2, but they had tracks with mud there as well. Just not all of them.

Top Bottom